User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,702
BigDogs/HelmetCamsAndVideoEquipment

When this is done---it will cover the use of my Go-Pro, POV1, POV1.5 (by Viosport), Garmin Virb Helmet Camera's and my JVC Hard Drive Camcorder.
Also I'll give you my video taking techniques I use for making a 1 1/2 long movie of an epic one month trip without boring you audience.
About 90% of all video's on the net do something terribly wrong----I'll get to that.

Most all the video work I've taken over the last few years-----these include the video's for sale on my website,
have been done with 2 video camera's.

First right off the bat-----I had a GoPro but didn't like a few things about them---and sold it.
I'm not going to argue this point or get into it any farther-----but that's just the way it has worked out for me.
Yeh-------I know everybody else uses them.
There are lot's of other helmet camera's out there---I have no hands on experience with them--so won't get into them.

So----I said I used 2 Video Cameras for years.

Number 1---------My helmet camera for many years has been a POV1 from Viosport.
I've had it mounted on about 3 different Arai XD's which I've worn out over the years.
You can see it on the left side of my helmet------------Baja January 2013.
Not much bigger than a tube of lipstick----no stress on your neck at all--you don't know it's there.
That is a huge advantage over a Go-Pro or the Garmin Virb.

I moved it over to my Fly Trekker helmet later in 2013---I like that helmet much better.
Mexican Hat, Utah June, 2013 if you wondered.
I've had these camera's on top of my helmet--but moved them to the side---I much prefer them there.
Yeh----I know everybody puts them on the top.
On the side the camera picks up much less head movement---head movement is amplified on the top probably 3 fold.
Also better for air resistance which can wear out your neck.

Number 2
A run of the mill JVC Hard Drive Camcorder el cheapo at Wal-Mart.
It's small-----has absolutely no moving parts and takes awesome footage. It's a few years old---never a problem------it's not waterproof so
when making creek or river crossing that are questionable I put it in a baggy.
I've taken month long trips and have never hardly touched the hard drive capacity---can't remember how big it is--but plenty big enough.
I use it when stopped or camping for great video's of scenic places where I can zoom in getting awesome shots----and
get good stuff of bullshitting around campfires in the evening.

I combine the combination of my helmet camera and my camcorder to make movies.
Helmet camera's don't zoom by the way.
Wouldn't do you any good if they did-----you can't see what your taking anyway.

So now we get to my new camera-----a POV1.5 from Viosport available HERE http://vio-pov.com/
Lot's of info there with lot's of video's to watch about the camera---the mounting options are endless.
I didn't say anything about mounting the POV1 or how it works cause it's about the same as my new POV1.5 HD camcorder and I will cover that here.
I upgraded from the POV1 because the POV1.5 is HD----takes pictures--and has a few other features I'll get into.

Here it is mounted to my Fly Trekker Helmet
The camera looks like it's pointed up to high but when you put the helmet on it is level.
The mount is made so you can rotate the camera in 2 ways.

Look behind the camera and you'll see 3 small holes---that is where my old POV1 was mounted.

So why did I move it forward so much ??? the FOV (Field Of Vision on this helmet is so much wider it was shooting my helmet way too much.
I don't mind a little bit of helmet in a video (just a little)---but this camera takes pictures---I don't want my helmet in those.
The POV1 didn't take pictures.
I could have moved the camera way out away from the helmet to accomplish this---but then I'd be at one of the reasons I
don't like a go-pro.

I made a little aluminum bracket to keep the camera aimed straight ahead.
Again--------it doesn't looked aimed right------but it is.

The camera head is not a self contained complete unit like a go-pro so the recording device is kept in the top pocket of my
riding jacket----and when not using the camera---you can see how I route the connecting cable out of the way making taking my
helmet off easy peezy.
I never record video all day--------who wants to watch 8-10 hrs. of video----------nobody.

Now here is where the POV cameras from Viosport outshine the competition big time----for my use.
The cable connecting the camera to the recording device has a microphone built into the cable and I route the cable
around so that the mic is near my mouth--you can see it in this picture----I haven't put a piece of microphone foam over
it yet ---but will. All of this is waterproof by the way---the camera---the cord and microphone and the recording device.
Video in the rain really come out well.

Here is the Microphone----the Mic level is adjustable from 1-9.
I use 1 or 2 and it's perfect-----you can hear me narrate video perfectly with no wind noise.
At the same time it picks up just enough sound off your bike to let the audience know you are on a motorcycle.
The other thing that amazes me-----when I stop to talk to a buddy with engines off----you can plainly here his voice also.
This catches some really good conversation sometimes.

I got my cable secured on the side of my helmet with some stuff the wife had laying around the house---maybe picture hangars or something ?????

This remote control which is wifi wireless you can put anywhere------when you have the recording device turned on in standby mode the recorder will start recording as
soon as you push the REC/Tag button and won't stop till you push the STOP button. I put it on my handlebars close to my left hand. It doesn not tell you what's going on with
the recorder---you have to remember that. In picture mode--------pushing the REC/TAG button takes a really nice picture.
I had mine for 5 years before I replaced the battery---kept waiting for it to go dead and it never did---so I just replaced it.

Now the recording device----yes all this is not self contained as a Go-Pro or Virb--a bit different and may seem undesireable-----not so for me.
I really love having the extremely small camera on my helmet------so now on to what this bad boy will do.
You control the thing (once turned on) from the remote---but there is a setup menu to go thru.
First note ---there is a color screen to look at to view what the camera is seeing---invaluable when aiming the camera--you can
also watch the video clips you've taken------in color-------with sound----or delete them. I put this unit in my upper right jacket pocket.

So bare with me-----in Setup you can set up all those fancy 1080P's---720's ----resolutions--frame rates---recording quality--and all that stuff
just like any other camera---I don't see the point of describing all that technical jargon any further. It's all the same.
Also you can set what format it records video in-----I use MOV.
Other things that can be set are Exposure metering, Exposure compensation, Noise filter, Sharpener, Date and Time Stamp Overlay,
LCD brightness, Video output (I use NTSC), Language----and last but not least you can format (erase) the data card---I think you can
put a 64GB card in it.

Also you can set how long the LCD screen stays on (to conserve battery life---4 AAA's by the way).
How long the recorder stays on (in standby mode) after recording a clip---------from a few seconds to hours---or never shuts off.
You can adjust sound and Mic volume.
While traveling and bored in a motel-----you can hook it up to the TV and watch what you recorded--I've done that a lot.

You can set several record methods
1. Clip-------push record---push stop
2. Loop----Records previous footage for a time limit you've previously selected. In other words---it can record a minute before
you pushed the record button to get that shot of that bear that ran in front of you.
3. LoopForward---records footage before you pressed the button and continues to record till you tell it to stop.
These previous loop times can be set to whatever you want.

Battery Life You ask ????
I went to Alaska for a month-----took hours of video to make a 1 1/2 hour movie on one set of 4 AA lithium batteries.
But if you just left the thing on all day---you might burn up a set in a day.
I've learned from experience to know when to shut the thing off.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 04:53 PM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quality of Video comparison

I could just stop and say--------they all are about the same----cause they pretty well are.
Posting video after video doing comparisons would be a waste of my time and there's wads of that all over the net---- I'm not going to do that.
You tubes uploads and downloads screw that up usually anyway---unless you know what your doing.
All the new camera's like the Go-Pro, Garmin Virb and a lot of others are hard to tell apart----in reality the video quality is neck and neck.

It would be like me saying my 10ft. high pile of hay is better than yours cause it has one more straw !!!!!!

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 08:41 AM
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Video Do's And Don'ts I Use

Don't bore your audience-----at least 90% of the video's I see out there can make a person yawn pretty darn quick.
The Wans's video's are in the 10%

If your going to post lets say a 10 minute video for you tube-----never record clips that last over 20-30 seconds--turn it
off and on as the terrain and scenery changes---looking at a trail that is the same for 10 minutes just plain sucks.
There are rare exceptions---like when a grizzly bear is chasing your buddy---and acceptable exception---keep it on
until the grizzly has completely devoured your buddy by all means..
If you can't turn you recorder off and on ---edit the things.
So don't take long clips of the same thing---or scenery.

Always try to put a bike right in front of you---as close as you dare---makes it so much better---plus your buddy is in the video---maybe he'll crash
and you can all have a big laugh later on !!!!
I like to tell people I'm riding with I'm going to video----I start in the rear and work my way thru them to the front----looks awesome.
They need to know what your doing tho---a little horn beep helps this along.
Also cool to wave them to pass you if your in the front----adds so much to the video.
Passing people when riding offroad is a no-no------unless you let them know your doing it.
They could change lines and down both of you go.

Well-----lookie who showed up---what's she got ?????---more tires ?????---I need some. New chain and sprockets ??? I need
those to. Maybe another 276C I found for cheap ???? What's she got that I don't have already ????

So what am I going to do with this bad boy---and why did I buy this too ????
It pretty much does the same thing a go-pro does-----and is all self contained like one.
But has quite a few new and extremely unique features that really perked my interest.
And while the POV1.5 I have is always attached to my motorcycle helmet and will be my main camera on the bike---I
have other plans for this thing.

And in the mean time--here's a link that really has more info on the Virb---really good stuff --from Mr. EmmBeeDee http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932555

More To Come
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 09:22 AM
Old 12-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Virb STuff

I've thought of many things I can use this Virb for---- pretty much in the context you'd do with a go-pro-------except I'm not going to mount this to my helmet. I prefer my POV1.5 for that.

So already I've shot video on a tri-pod with this while I was recording some music in my little combo recording studio--computer room and office. So using it on a tri-pod will be nice and easy.
Also I'll use it on my bicycle.
And use it hand held sometimes
And stick it on a long pole and get some really cool angles like my buddy "Bash3R" does with his go-pro.
And on my Husqvarna.
Which bring us to here.

Mounting the Virb Elite to my 2013 Husqvarna TR Terra.

The Windshield on my 2013 Husqvarna TR Terra is too tall to shoot video from a helmet camera. The windshield is in the way big time probably due
somewhat to the wild field of vision of both my new video cameras. I've shot plenty of video on this bike, but that was with the stock windshield
which was very short.

So------to shoot video from this bike I had to get the camera in front of the Windshield.
And this is what I ended up with.

Yeh----I used to ride a Harley---bet you didn't know that !!! Way back---way way way back.

I drilled some holes in the Madstat windshield bracket and found some ram mounts laying around from my old BMW days
when I had a bunch of stuff on my big GS farkle bar. So with that stuff using a 4" ram extension and the 1/4" camera mount that came with the
virb I got it mounted----and can have this whole thing off in 2 seconds if I want.
Like a Go-Pro they are a bazillion mounts made for this thing to mount it anywhere-----even an adaptor where you can use all you go-pro mounts.

At this very moment I haven't tested this-------those ram extension have some flexibility in them so I'm hoping the camera doesn't shake
too much----but I'm hoping this works---I will like it there I'm sure.
Looking at this windshield it appears I have to look thru it-----but I actually look several inches over it.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 04:52 PM
Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
thanks for the write up. Very informative!
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 843
A lot of good information there, thanks for taking the time to share.

I'm going to try moving my camera to the side of the helmet.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Cool stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing your edit software! Just bought the GoPro Hero 3 and took it down 30 M the next day:-)....I need tips on editing please...will follow along.

07GSA....Holy Cow!
06 K1200R "Der Naked"....SOLD...too damn fast
05 R1200GS "Das Boot" ....SOLD...already miss her!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"
Flyboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
thanks for the write up. Very informative!
You very welcome Kainic----I've been doing this for a very long time and have went thru some archaic setups before they even made a helmet cam----or action camera----------I'm sure not an expert---but have learned a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
A lot of good information there, thanks for taking the time to share.

I'm going to try moving my camera to the side of the helmet.

Even after having said all that-------I still find myself cutting pieces out of clips I take---as maybe the beginning or end is not good----or the thing is just too long.

I pretty much always narate video's thru the mic in my helmet-------I'm not as good at that as my buddy Dingweeds----he really tells some interesting stuff.

I think you'll like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy08 View Post
Cool stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing your edit software! Just bought the GoPro Hero 3 and took it down 30 M the next day:-)....I need tips on editing please...will follow along.
Hey Flyboy------I afraid I'm not going to post editing tips.
There is so much software out there to edit video it's mind boggling.
I'd be typing for days just to explain how the software I have works----and I'm still finding things it does.

I do use a PC----and am using "Corel Video Studio Pro"

People tell me I-movie that comes with Macs is much better----but I don't have a mac.

I have gotten what I think is pretty smart recording video and making less work for myself.

So---lets say you are going to go on a 2 week ride and want to end up with a hour and a half movie to show friends and family.
Remember-----after an hour and one half people may have enjoyed your movie thoroughly--------but any more and they are going to sleep.

So that's 90 minutes of video you need over 14 days.
Divide 14 into 90 and you only need about 6 minutes a day--that's it.

So if to make a 90 minute movie-----don't record 8 hrs. of video in a day-------you just created yourself a total pain in the ass.

However----------do take more than 6 minutes a day as some of your video will suck. I usually take maybe 20 minutes a day and edit it down to 6 minutes a day on a 2-week ride.

Remember---you can't record it all---------even you won't want to watch it all.

Having said all that----I still find myself trimming video's---usually at the beginning or end as I"ve kept it on too long and it was just "too much of the same".
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 05:04 PM
Old 12-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Mark thanks for this!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzx1000r View Post
Mark thanks for this!
You are so welcome--you guys shot some great video on your ride.

This was all shot with my old helmet camera-------and my handheld camcorder-----but you can see how using both really makes for some great video as you can use the zoom on the handheld. My hand held is prone to wind noise---I need to put a fuzzy thing on the mic.

This was shot when I rode withe the Mobius riders maybe last year ????
Dr. Rock and LDF---(Francine).

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 102
Hello Mark, our paths crossed back in May of 2012 at the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park in NC. Everyone in our group was impressed with your video setup at that time. I've been using an older Go-Pro for sometime now and am disappointed in the way it captures the sharp corners of the road. Some of the tightest curves we rode in NC looked like they were wide sweeping corners. Is the POV 1.5 any better for that application?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #12
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
Hello Mark, our paths crossed back in May of 2012 at the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park in NC. Everyone in our group was impressed with your video setup at that time. I've been using an older Go-Pro for sometime now and am disappointed in the way it captures the sharp corners of the road. Some of the tightest curves we rode in NC looked like they were wide sweeping corners. Is the POV 1.5 any better for that application?
I think you are talking about the distorted -------curved------look---- that comes with the wide field of vision (WOV) cameras----most people call that the "fish eye" effect--------I truly hate that look too----I like videos to look natural. Playing with the settings in the menu can get rid of that---maybe narrowing your field of vision. My new POV and Garmin virb have settings to get rid of that. The Garmin verb has a "lens correction" setting that totally gets rid of that-----------it also has image stabilization which the go-pro and Pov don't have.

My go-pro has been gone for a few years-----I've kind of forget some things about it.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Mark. May I suggest you go for a ride...... Cabin fever has takin over again.. Get out now before you do something really crazy like cut up the ( Quiet) exhaust on a perfectly good motorcycle....make windsheilds out of trash cans etc........Kidding aside we all appreciate your input it helps the holidays go by much quicker.. Thanks (That was a compliment) Backmarker
Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,191
Mark thanks for all the good info I was hoping someone would put something like this together.
The audio on the last sounds great...at one point when the wind blew it had me looking off to the left on my screen.

Good job

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Mark, I think you might be on to something with carring a hand held! I can currently only get stills and helmet cam shots! That is a very good idea!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote