User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
DrBobs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Anyone have a Bell helmet?

.... a BELL helmet? Currently using an HJC full face for the street, XL. Someone said the BELLs run weird, I should go with a large. Any ideas?
DrBobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,949
Yes, go to a Cycle World bike show and try on the helmets. That or go to dealers to see if they have the helmet model you are looking for. Then go to a dealer and tell them your price to buy one - after doing some on-line research. Give them some support if they will sell you the stuff at a price you like. Your head may not match up with whomever might answer you.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
DrBobs OP
Adventurer

Well, there's half my problem... in NY there is one dealer.... they drop ship!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Bell's fit a round head, not oval.Last one I had was a 7 3/4 moto , it was loose on sides, but ok front to back. I replaced it with a large Fly, my AFX is also large. When I tried on the new Bells, I couldn't get a xxl on my head.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,526
I have a Nolan size large and just bought a Bell, also a large and it fit the same. In the past I have had an HJC size large and that fit was very similar. Any new helmet is going to be a bit snug before it breaks in.
2010 F 650 GS
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
anyone have a....

Great way to start a thread....my two cents...

"No, go fish"
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #7
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobs View Post
Well, there's half my problem... in NY there is one dealer.... they drop ship!

Unless you like to gamble, you need to try them on. I checked out Bell at the Cleveland Cycle World show and found there actually was a bit of sizing difference between two of their models. So I won't buy without trying on.

When I know what I want I will buy from my favorite dealer if they will sell at a price I am willing to spend, and most can/will meet the on-line prices when they can. I'm pretty certain any dealer can buy Bell product from a supplier.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
I have a Fly DS helmet and an HJC dirt helmet that both fit well. I've never found a Bell that fits my head and I tried on maybe 4 or 5 at a show. Unfortunately helmets are just one of those things that you have to try on in person.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
DrBobs OP
Adventurer

Appreciate all the replies. Great deal on a BELL st eBay... but someone said the BELLS are good for round heads, but eh, eh for an oval head. I gotta think I'm an oval head. Currently using an HJC, probably going with them again.Just wish I could have found a BELL dealer locally.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
ianz5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
New Bells are more oval shaped, NOT round. I have 4 Bell RS-1 helmets. They're awesome with the Transition Shield and worth getting for that alone. The quality is good, especially for the price. I've owned Arai and Shoei as well in the past.

Bell customer service has been great when I had an issue, and I can't say that in my experience with the others when I needed support with an issue. If you check out Revzilla they have a good deal on the RSD RS-1 now for $225. Sportbiketrackgear has a great deal on the Bell Star RSD "Sway" model which is carbon fiber, but a bit noisier. To repeat, these helmets are not round shaped. I have had a round shaped Bell dirt track helmet that gave me a hot spot on my fore head, but these are more oval shaped. You can verify this with some research.
ianz5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
v4play
Throttlephile

Oddometer: 58
Bell Revolver

Have a Bell Revolver and it's LOUD!

Thinking about the Scorpion EXO-1000. Like the idea of the air bladders.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,548
I have a Bell RS-1. For a fairly expensive helmet, I've been unhappy about quite a few things. Firstly, the internal padding had compressed far more than any other helmet I've ever had. Of course, we should expect a helmet to loosen up a bit as the passing compresses over time. However, this is a bit much, and continued to fit more loosely for over a year (and about 25,000 miles) later. It finally leveled out at about a year to a year and a half. It is now too big for me.

Also, it lets in too much airflow. This is great in the summer, but in the colder months, even with all vents closed, there is a LOT of air. In addition to air, it sucks in the rain! No matter how I've adjusted the visor, it always leaks... and quite a bit at that.

All in all, for the type of riding I do, this Bell sucks. I won't be buying another.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #13
Souljer
Recycling Electrons

Oddometer: 164
Hi,

I don't know if the original poster is still looking for opinions, but I'll post up a review of my Bell Bullitt for anyone else who may find this thread in the future.

This is from 2014. I'm not trying to sell you a helmet so I don't go through every feature and function.
Just my overall impression and things that got my attention after a few months of use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSy8ZDPtSUI

You could also do a search on YouTube and get a few other opinions for the exact helmet you are thinking about.
Most of the "reviews" are not like mine. They will be from vendors who are just describing and showing you the helmet in order to sell you one. However they may mention something useful. There is a chance.

Good luck.
Souljer is offline   Reply With Quote