Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
My Horizon jacket/pant combo arrived today!

I will echo Cuchanu's sentiments in that it feels about like the other Rev'it offerings, but does have some nifty features. I took a few pics of some of the details, which I've included below. Overall, I really like it so far. Not sure if the pants are too long or not yet, I've adjusted the armor to the highest position, but I need to see how they feel on the bike.

For reference, I am 5'8" 175 lbs, 41 inch chest, 33 waist, 28 inseam. Jacket is a large and pants are Medium Regular. With the liners in, the fit is pretty snug, but they should break in a bit. Tomorrow I will take the bike out and test out the gear. The weather should cooperate in letting me evaluate it's waterproof properties

I will have plenty more pics, so stay tuned.

The Midge, lol:

From the hang tag:

DJSponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
JackB1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
My first 2400 miles with Rev'It! Horizon

Thought I'd give my inmate friends an update on my current experience with the new Rev'It! Horizon HV jacket and Horizon pants. Just as a reminder, I left Philadelphia last Tuesday 4/24 on a 10,000+ mile ride to the Four Corners of the USA for charity (check it out at www.2wheels4kids.com/) Anyway, I'm 2400miles and 6 days into this enterprise and am rocking pretty much all Rev'It! gear in this entirely on-road trip. Went to Northern Maine first, and now southbound toward Key West. I'm in southern Georgia almost to the Florida State line tonight. Full disclosure here... I have a Rev'It! product sponsorship for this charity ride but I am not a Rev'It! employee. I have ridden in temperatures from just above freezing and up to 97 degrees earlier today. I have also ridden several hundred miles in moderate to heavy rain. Here are my comments so far (with more to come over the next couple of weeks) -

Thermal capability- Three of the first four mornings of the trip the air temp at departure was between 35 and 40 degrees F. In those conditions I wore a long sleeve t-shirt or technical base layer, then a Rev'It! Samurai mid layer jacket, and the Horizon HV with the thermal layer installed. I also always wear a fleece-like neck collar when it's cold. Throughout the trip so far I have worn the Horizon pants as an overpant -over top of jeans and with the thermal layer removed. I think that in those 30 degree temps I would generally require more warmth and would recommend heated gear (or a heavier jacket) if you ride in those conditions all the time , and for long periods. Remember that I've been on the bike 6-10 hours each day.i. However, in that configuration I was very comfortable once the air temps went above the low 40s and kept my self dressed this way when temps were through the 50s. Once above 60 I usually take off the Samurai jacket first and later, if it gets warmer yet the liner comes out. I rode for about 3-4 hours this afternoon with temps in the 90s and just a t-shirt beneath the Horizon outer shell (all vents open) and was surprisingly comfortable. Reminder, though, that this was all highway miles with lots of airflow. City or suburban riding in 90s may give you a different conclusion. My bottom line - Just fine for temps from 40s to 90s!

Rain- When I left Bangor , Maine very early Friday morning it was raining very hard (and it was 41 degrees too - nice!) I rode in rain there for about 100 miles and I also rode in rain for about 100 miles yesterday through Virginia. Both times the jacket performed well. No wet spots or water ingestion except for a slight damp spot at the base of my back (where my tramp stamp would be if I were a stamped tramp), probably because I did not bother to zip the jacket and pants together. The pants had some issues however. After about 1/2 hour I had dampness on the inside of my right thigh and eventually on my butt. Not "flooded" but clearly moisture coming in slowly. I haven't been able to diagnose where the issue might be. As a side note, Rev'It! Summit H2O gloves remained utterly dry as did Rival boots. For those of you who live in the Northeast or elsewhere where you have to mess with paying tools an toll booths, note that the Rev'It! Summit H2O gloves have a liner material that is really difficult to get your hand in and out of if it is wet. Makes fumbling for money in a toll booth a quite a project at times.

Size/fit- My jacket is a large and I intentionally went a bit big to allow space to wear under garments as I've described above. I am 5'7" tall, 155 pounds, and ordinarily wear a size 42 jacket. Sleeve length is good (my shirts are typically 32-33 sleeve.) With the liner out and with all my under garments shed (as today when it was in the 90s) the jacket fits a bit loose but is quite stable at speed if I pull up the cinch straps on the torso and the sleeves . The pants I have are Large but with the short inseam. My waist is 33". My inseam is 29-30 depending on who measures it. The pants tend to ride up a bit and if I had it to do again I would get the standard length. Interesting that DJSponge has a 28" inseam and speculates that his standard length pants might be too long.

Issues - I have no durability issues to speak about at the moment. I will say that I have not had a Hi-Viz garment in the past and I am surprised at how quickly it seems to be getting filthy. Obviously I'm going to have to wash it after this trip is over and I will just have to see how that impacts the watertightness that I seem to enjoy at this moment. Also, just one little annoyance. The top termination of the front (main) zipper really irritates my neck. I' ve had this problem before with other jackets - wondering out loud why everyone doesn't put some sort of soft protective flap to protect against this sort of chafing?

That's about all I've got for now but I'm gonna be on the road for another 3 weeks so stay tuned.

Jack Broomall
Bonneville 200mph Club, IBA #18825, previously diagnosed with Multiple Bike Disorder, yadda,yadda, yadda..
\www.2wheels4kids.com

JackB1 screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 04:25 PM
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Nice report JackB1!

Me and the misses took an extended ride East of Seattle yesterday, so I'll throw in my first thoughts on the jacket. (I didn't wear the pants, as I'm sorting out sizing - Med/Short being shipped direct from Rev'it, more on that later).

Fit/Comfort: By far the most comfortable jacket I've owned. The fabric has some "give" compared to Aerostich equivalents...this could be due to the lower denier fabric (750D 2L Powershell on 98% of it, 500D Powershell at elbows). The adjustment straps work as they should, and I have no flutter, even without the liner and only a T underneath. Also, the jacket doesn't get that clammy feeling you have with Gore-Tex products sometimes. It's really comfortable.

Protection: Jacket feels very protective. I would recommend upgrading the foam back protector to a Knox one, and I like the way the armor sits when I'm on the bike.

Ventilation: The 3D mesh really works fantastically! With the 2 front vents open and the back vent unzipped, you get a ton of airflow at speed. I had to close the front vents at about 50 degrees because I was getting TOO cold. Also, the front vents are very easy to close while riding, but opening them is a little trickier, mostly trying to fasten the button.

Weatherproofness: No issues. We hit rain a couple of times, and the jacket performed great. No wet spots, no pooling, nothing.

Warmth: Our ride temp was between about 45 and 65, and I wore a T-shirt (Puma Ducati of course ) and no liner in the jacket. At 60, vents open, plenty cool. Dropping to 50 and below, time to close the vents. I was comfortable the entire ride, no problem at all. Jacket is about as warm as my Teiz Lombard suit without the liners. It's also a bit warmer than my Rev'it Air jacket with the WP liner installed. YMMV.

I have to give a shout out to Dennis at Beach Moto. They were awesome with shipping and communication for the gear. He's having Rev'it send me the Med/Short pants to evaluate against the Med/Reg for sizing. I'm going to ship back the pair I don't keep. Shipping was pretty quick, and he went over sizing with me more than once to help me get the right sizes.

So, a big to Beach Moto. I bought my jacket and pants here:

http://beachmoto.com/revit/jackets/horizon.php
http://beachmoto.com/revit/pants/horizon.php

More to follow when I get the pants sorted, and I have at least 2 long distance trips planned for the summer

DJSponge screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 05:12 PM
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Just finished a 200 mile ride with a buddy of mine. The Horizon worked marvelously. It was between 40-50 degrees through the whole ride, and it rained on and off numerous times. No issues whatsoever. I love this jacket. I'm hopeful the pants will work equally as well!!!!

Ducs in a row:
Untitled
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I would be interested to hear how it works in the heat and what the cold weather limit is.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Extended ride on the bike yesterday. Temps ranged from 43F to 78F. Jacket was comfortable for the duration. The chest vents really work great. Never had a jacket move that much air! At 78F, in traffic, things started to get warm for me. Not unbearable or even uncomfortable, just had the feeling that I wanted to be moving. I'd say at 80F, I'm going to wear my Rev'It Air jacket instead. I'd be fine up to probably 90F, but above 80F, things start to get warm. YMMV.

BTW, waterproofing so far has been fantastic.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #22
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Wow! the pants are really lovely.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
JackB1
Gnarly Adventurer

Lots of talk here about temperature limits for the Horizon., ....... Thought everyone might be interested to know that yesterday I was riding in over 100 degrees for the third time in my trip. With vents all open collar turned back and the jacket zipped partway open it was pretty tolerable at speed (msotly highways yesterday) but when in urban stop-n-go its just plain hot. That being said, I agree with some of the others here - mid 80s to about 90 it's just fine. You can follow my trip at http://www.2wheels4kids.com/
No issues with the jacket on a 2+ week trip that's now over 6300 miles!
Bonneville 200mph Club, IBA #18825, previously diagnosed with Multiple Bike Disorder, yadda,yadda, yadda..
\www.2wheels4kids.com
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I want one..
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
JackB1
Gnarly Adventurer

My 2Wheels4Kids.com/ trip is now over 9000 miles. Today, crossing the Wasatch Range from Provo, UT over toward Green River, UT. on US6 near dawn I rode for some time in sub-freezing temperatures as low as 24 degrees. While I think my Horizon is, overall, a great piece I don't consider it adequate for extended time at temps quite that low. I started out wearing the jacket (all vents closed - duh!), thermal liner in place, A Rev'It! Samurai mid layer and a long sleeve t shirt beneath it all. Later, when the temps fell into the 20s I added a sweatshirt beneath the mid-layer. Kinda looked all puffy and inflated like the Michelin Man with all that stuff layered. ! 22 days on the road now, averaging over 400 miles a day in temps all the way from today's new record low of 24 to 103! Horizon stuff fills the bill very well from about 40 degrees to 90 degrees. Below that need more help. Above that, need a true mesh jacket like Rev'It! Tarmac Air (especially if doing urban riding.) No durability issues whatsoever - except that Hi-Viz is getting mighty dirty! That's my brilliant insight for today. Always open for questions.
\www.2wheels4kids.com
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
TriGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
rev it vs olympia

hey I am a newbie dont hurt me! anyway I like rev it gear but compared to olympia I found the price better with olympia and the quality better too. I have olympia airglide a mesh jacket with good airflow and a waterproof liner that actually works. just my 2cents.
TriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
My 2 cents:

Several folks have posted about low temps and wet conditions. Since I had my first chance to ride the Horizon today I thought I’d throw in some impressions from the other end of the climatic scale.

I live in the Arizona desert where humidity varies between 6% and 14%. As for rain: I read about rain in a book once.

I found the venting to be surprisingly effective. Up to about 94 F, life inside the Horizon was pretty acceptable; if a little odd. By “odd” I mean that it’s something of an “alien technology” experience. It doesn’t really feel like much air is flowing inside the jacket and yet one doesn’t get all that warm. Something I suppose it feels like inside one of those temperature controlled space suits.

Once it got well above 100 F I stopped and donned a drenched LD long sleeve t-shirt. Having just the left vent open just a smidge provided more than adequate cooling for the 1.5 hour run home across what we call “the frying pan”. After an hour and a half @ moderate highway speeds (65 – 80 MPH) I still had what I estimate to be 1/2 the original moisture left in the shirt.

So, my conclusion is that the Horizon, while not the very best, is within the acceptable range for warm weather operations. I’m counting on the opinions in previous posts re; cold/wet to get me through the hills of Utah on the way to Miller and back.

Other stuff: The snaps which hold the vent panels open are (at least for me) nigh on to impossible to engage while underway with gloves on. However, merely folding them under provides almost as much airflow.

The clip/loop thingie which holds the collar back when you have it open is rather difficult to engage underway unless you unzip the jacket quite a bit.

And that’s all I have to say about that.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Any more experiences with how waterproof the jacket and pants are?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #29
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Progress?

Any further reviews on this? We share the same climate zone so I'm interested in further info.

Trying to decide between the Klim Badlands and the Rev'it. I really like the idea of the venting in the Horizon, but want to make sure that the long term waterproofness is as good as it needs to be for the Wet Coast. I'm so done with zip in liners or external suits.

Thx

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
hey I am a newbie dont hurt me! anyway I like rev it gear but compared to olympia I found the price better with olympia and the quality better too. I have olympia airglide a mesh jacket with good airflow and a waterproof liner that actually works. just my 2cents.
I had Rev'It Darkar pants (previous iteration of the Sand model - almost identical). They did not stand up very well. My Olympia gear seems much more abrasion resistant with heavier materials and stitching (200D & 500D Cordura) although I have never crash tested it. It is also more durable and has more venting. IMO the XMoto suit is a better value at the same price as the Rev'It. Not trying to be a troll here, just my 2 cents.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote