Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just a quick update. I have about 500 miles of Pacific Northwest riding on my Horizon set, and I've been dry 100% of the time. Chest vents continue to be awesome, and they are breaking in nicely...headed to CO in a couple weeks for the PPIHC, will post an update then!

Cheers
DJSponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #32
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSponge View Post
Just a quick update. I have about 500 miles of Pacific Northwest riding on my Horizon set, and I've been dry 100% of the time. Chest vents continue to be awesome, and they are breaking in nicely...headed to CO in a couple weeks for the PPIHC, will post an update then!

Cheers
Excellent news.

Seems like it a good option for me. Thx for the update.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #33
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
The sleeves of the thermal liner at the cuffs are not zipped to the jacked (as seen in the review by revzilla) but attached with old-style snaps. Anyone else has this?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #34
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,582
I've put a couple of hundred miles on my Horizon jacket. Overall I'm happy with the jacket, it's comfortable, though still a little bit stiff. It is still breaking in. I've only ridden in some light rain and stayed dry. Waiting for a real toad strangler of a storm to test out the true water resistance. My only real complaint, and I'm not too surprised, is that it's warm. In all fairness, I ride an 1150 RT, and the fairing and windshield do a great job of redirecting air around me. As long as i'm moving, with the windshield in the down position, it's tolerable.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #35
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

My jacket sleeves are button snap connectors, like their other jackets. I actually prefer this, I think the zippers would have rubbed my wrists and gotten really annoying when the liner is out.

Oh, and I rode for about an hour in driving rain today to take the bike to the dealer for service. I got there warm and dry, couldn't ask for much more.

I'll be setting off for Colorado in a little over a week, should have some good weather hopefully to (not) test the waterproofing abilities
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #36
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSponge View Post
I'll be setting off for Colorado in a little over a week, should have some good weather hopefully to (not) test the waterproofing abilities
You won't get rained on around here but it is pretty warm these days.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
You won't get rained on around here but it is pretty warm these days.
Yea, I'm considering bringing my Rev'it Air jacket when the weather hits 90F+
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #38
deltamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Horizon Jacket

Just purchased a Revit Horizon jacket this weekend. I typically wear a large in jackets, am a size 42 in a sport coat. 5' 11", 173. I was surprised that I ended up buying an XXL, but that was what felt most comfortable. Plus, I knew I wanted this for cold weather and would be adding an electric liner to the equation, so I wanted a little more space.

I kept the regular liner in for the 90-mile ride home from the dealer in temps that were in the mid 60's. Very comfortable temperature wise. Opened the vents and definitely felt the air circulation inside. Wore it again this morning with a cotton dress shirt and the regular liner. Temps were in the upper 40's for my 32-mile expressway commute. Felt just a little cold after a while. I think the body temp comfort thing tends to vary greatly from person to person. I may get cold quicker than some. Again, I will soon add my electric liner to the mix and am hoping to be able to ride comfortably in 20 degree temps.

Haven't had it in the rain yet, but I'm sure I will soon. One of the main reasons I wanted this jacket is because I no longer want to have to stop to put on a rain suit. I also have Revit waterproof pants. They aren't the Horizon, but have worked well in the rain and I've been very pleased with them. It's one of the reasons I went with this jacket.

Overall so far ...

The pros:
I think it's a sharp-looking jacket. (And my wife seemed to think so too!) Haven't seen it at night, but the reflectors seem like they're in good spots. It's very comfortable. Very adjustable. The armor feels good. I feel well-protected in this jacket.

The cons:
There is a tightness in the neck area that kind of feels like it's choking a little. I experienced the same thing in all the sizes I tried on and I don't have a large neck. I'm hoping will go away as the jacket loosens up. Could use more zippered front pockets. There's only two zippered pockets in the front and one of them is waterproof. (There is however, a velcro pouch pocket in the back and two open hand-warmer pockets in the front.)

I'm hoping this jacket holds up over the long run. Will post again if I discover any new revelations.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
I really looked hard at this jacket but I need a one for more hot/dry dual sport conditions as I do most of my riding in Arizona and Southern California and some of the other posts indicated that it did not have enough vents for 90 plus degrees. I went with the BMG Adventure II and rode in 95-100 degree temps yesterday and was as comfortable as one could expect at that level of heat. Not water-proof at all but I can count the days I ride in heavy rain on one hand so it was not a big factor. Still .. I like the look of the coat and it may be on my short list for a winter fall option.. Also.. is it coming with the "exskin" liner as indicated. I have had heard not. Wonder why?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #40
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I have a couple of thousand miles on mine now; to include moderate rain and high temps. It’s an OK piece of kit but I can’t really say that the price is justified. The vents can be described as “better than nothing”. They’re not too bad on a bike like mine (Multistrada) with a very narrow windscreen and minimal bodywork. But, if you’re on something like an FJR you will get no venting at all. Zip. Nada. And there may be somebody somewhere in the world who can lock those vents open while underway with gloves on. But it ain’t me. If the going gets warm, I have to stop, un-glove, and secure those tiny snaps. Same thing with the collar hold-back. Good idea but, executed by people who obviously don’t actually ride.

There’s a lot of cost-cutting for a garment at this price point. Copious use of Velcro everywhere: Front closure, exterior pockets (what few there are), cheesy interior pocket.

Unless you’re double jointed, you’re not going to be able to the operate the pull cords to seal up the lower part of the jacket while the jacket is on your body.

And I don’t know if I’ll ever make peace with that gay-ass left handed main zipper.

It’s certainly not the worst piece of gear I’ve ever owned but I wouldn’t spend that kind of $ on another.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #41
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
I got a Horizon jacket a few weeks ago so I'll be giving updates on it.

It hit all the points that I wanted in a wet weather/cool weather jacket. For me a back pocket is absolutely necessary to put a hydration reservoir in. Also having proper flow through vents is. I love the fact that I can open and close the vents on my Rev-It Sand on the fly and this looks like it can do that (except for the back one which is fine since I'll just leave it open in warmer weather or tough riding). I love the Sand in hot weather too! Some say opening the front and snapping it is tough though.
A collar you can also fold back is also on my mandatory list. I can open and close it on the fly no problem. I can't believe some high end jackets still don't have a fold back option. Is that just me? Venting options on the fly!

It's the really (really) rainy season here and I ride all year round so it'll get lots of wet weather testing
So far so good with a couple hours in the rain.

I have a Sand jacket as well as I mentioned and I really like the fit of Rev-It so that was a factor. The sizing is a little different than the Sand though. The sleeves are a little bit shorter and the shoulder width is a bit narrower so I went up to a large from a medium. That way I have room to fit in a proper back protector and I have a little more layering space too. I think the material has less give too since it's laminated with the w/b membrane...of course my Sand is 1.5 yrs. old.

I'll update later...

Thanks,

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #42
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
The Horizon looks like a great jacket but the abrasion resistance / materials choice seems a bit cheap. For example polyester 500D/750D for a jacket in this price range.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #43
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
The Horizon looks like a great jacket but the abrasion resistance / materials choice seems a bit cheap. For example polyester 500D/750D for a jacket in this price range.
The 500D is only the stretch panels above the elbow. The whole jacket is really 750D which is roughly the same as others. The Sand has that too. I know what you're saying though but there is more to it than the published numbers. That doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the material. This 750D seems pretty good. It's definitely not as nice as the 1200D PWR wax elbows on the Sand though! I've high-sided in that one and the elbows don't have a mark!
I work a bit in the tech outdoor clothing industry so I know there can be more to fabric than meets the eye...or numbers.

That being said I'm amazed at how few jackets seem to combine what I want.

Velcro on the collar has destroyed my XD's bottom fabric. I love Rev-It's snap collar...but not everybody does?
As I mentioned a collar that can be held open!

I could go on...

Maybe I should start making jackets too

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #44
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I have a Revit Sand jacket that I like very much, except for having to deal with the waterproof liner. I have avoided replacing it with a jacket that is waterproof without a liner because I've been afraid it would be too hot when riding in hot weather. I find the Sand jacket warm but acceptable in hot weather, so if the Horizon is similar it could be exactly what I've been looking for. Is anybody who owns both a Revit Sand and a Horizon jacket able to give me some idea how the two compare in hot weather? Thanks.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I have a Revit Sand jacket that I like very much, except for having to deal with the waterproof liner. I have avoided replacing it with a jacket that is waterproof without a liner because I've been afraid it would be too hot when riding in hot weather. I find the Sand jacket warm but acceptable in hot weather, so if the Horizon is similar it could be exactly what I've been looking for. Is anybody who owns both a Revit Sand and a Horizon jacket able to give me some idea how the two compare in hot weather? Thanks.
Although I haven't used the Horizon in the hot weather because I only got it recently I don't think there's any way it will be comparable to the Sand in the hot weather. It just doesn't have the venting and the laminated fabric can't possibly breathe as well as the non-laminated Sand. Of course it doesn't get as hot (or humid!) here as it does out there but when I'm in the interior of BC (90*F+) and if I'm riding slower tech stuff I'm using an armor jacket with just a jersey over top and leave the Sand at camp.

My plan is to run the Sand in the warm - hot temps and the Horizon for rain/cooler temps.
Some longer trips will just be a take yer chances deal.

It's definitely hard to find one to do it all especially without spending $1000.00

If you find it let me know!!

Dave

www.motooverland.com