Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
BMW Allround 2 gloves have CE tags.
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,406
I hope we start seeing some of this CE gear on this side of the pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
CE Levels for gloves

Only the Halvarssons Safety Grip and Racer Stratos gloves have meaningful CE certification for gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123 View Post
Indeed they do, as do a lot of other gloves. However, they meet a lower CE standard. The data required is just for the impact protection of any knuckle armour, from what I gather.

Manufacturers found the original CE requirements too much effort to achieve. Check out the Velocity Gear website for a description of the challenges involved. Hence some manufacturers lobbied the EU to introduce an easier, lower standard for gloves. Which just shows what they think of us I've seen gloves made of spandex that meet the lower standard, presumably because they have decent knuckle impact protection.

Halvarssons met the original, high standard (now called Level 2) with its Safety Grip glove. Racer meets the Level 2 standard with its Stratos glove. Personally, these will be my gloves of choice now. Racer makes top notch gloves - as good or better than Held - backed up by a 3-year guarantee.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitygear View Post
I have NOT paid to have my gloves "CE certified".
This is all I want to know. Thank you very much for stating this clearly, for once.

I absolutely refuse to take back my previous statement, however. Let the facts speak for themselves.
ranmafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, sorry for the delay in updates, folks. I'll be catching up in a bit.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Halvarssons met the original, high standard (now called Level 2) with its Safety Grip glove. Racer meets the Level 2 standard with its Stratos glove. Personally, these will be my gloves of choice now. Racer makes top notch gloves - as good or better than Held - backed up by a 3-year guarantee.
Wait, do you have a link/standard number?

The only glove standard of any kind that I can find is EN 13594:2002, and there are no levels in it. I'm not sure what to make of Racer's "Level 2" moniker - I'll probably just try asking them later.

From what you're saying, it just sounds like the same situation as VG - passing only a part of the test, but displaying the CE mark anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 541
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7850804...in/photostream

Looks like the label describes the whole suit if I interpret it correctly. I think they would only show the jacket on the label if only the jacket was certified and the trousers would have a different label (there is no label in the trouser). Of course, I may be wrong

Triumph Explorer

moggi1964 screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 02:16 PM
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi-Pro textile jacket and trousers, textile (unclear whether to Level 1 or Level 2)
I couldn't find any mention of EN13595 for those ones. Could you point it out for me? I get a feeling that it applies just to the police leathers they make.

Quote:
Furygan
  • The entire Motion Lab range of clothing is CE Level 1
Oh wow, nice find! Looks like there's some choices for jackets/pants AND gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Looks like the label describes the whole suit if I interpret it correctly. I think they would only show the jacket on the label if only the jacket was certified and the trousers would have a different label (there is no label in the trouser). Of course, I may be wrong
I'm pretty sure that's just the jacket (D94). The suit is D106 and would probably need an inseam measurement, too. At any rate, an official comment from Spidi would be nice.

Quote:
Sounds like it may indeed be just for the impact protectors (not sure how'd they shoehorn that one in, though). I can't find any mention of EN13594 specifically.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I read about the introduction of two CE levels for motorcycle gloves on the SATRA website, which states: "Glove manufacturers’ experience with the standard has shown these requirements to be particularly difficult to meet consistently, and it was felt that a more achievable requirement for the popular lighter-weight gloves was needed."
www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/article_view.php?id=363
(SATRA is an official body that regulates CE kit for the UK.)

Hideout's website currently has little info. However, the June issue of the UK's Ride magazine has an article on page 50 about the emerging trend of CE PPE clothing. The article reviews Hideout's Hi-Pro suit, citing it as CE approved.

You might like this recent article on CE clothing by British riding guru Kevin Williams:
http://survivalskills.wordpress.com/...bike-clothing/
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmafan View Post

I'm pretty sure that's just the jacket (D94). The suit is D106 and would probably need an inseam measurement, too. At any rate, an official comment from Spidi would be nice.

I see what you mean. Odd that there isn't any label on the trouser; I better take another look. I CAN tell you the material and seams and stitching appear to be exactly the same so something must be different in terms of achieving CE 2.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
velocitygear
safety =~SPEED

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmafan View Post
This is all I want to know. Thank you very much for stating this clearly, for once.

I absolutely refuse to take back my previous statement, however. Let the facts speak for themselves.
In case you made another assumption, my gloves were tested by Satra and the C.T.C!!!

I find humor in your belief that the Ce agencies certifications actually mean anything beyond the physical tests. Beyond the main 4, do you even know what the other tests are within en13594?

They're addition of the "new" lower level glove certifications shows who's pocket they're in.

I have the testing PROOF of what my gloves are capable of. My data; the facts absolutely speak for themselves! DARE to compare?

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com
velocitygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #27
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I read about the introduction of two CE levels for motorcycle gloves on the SATRA website, which states: "Glove manufacturers’ experience with the standard has shown these requirements to be particularly difficult to meet consistently, and it was felt that a more achievable requirement for the popular lighter-weight gloves was needed."
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about this. We can only hope the "industry involvement" here won't be quite like the Microsoft/ISO wholesale buyout.

I did find the current status on the CEN website. It is still "under development":

Quote:
Project reference: prEN 13594
Current status: under approval
Foreseen date of availability: 2013-12
Title: Protective gloves for professional motorcycle riders - Requirements and test methods
At any rate, a mix of L1 and L2 gloves on the market is still better than a bunch of uncertified gloves... as long as the limitations of L1 are made clear. The new chest protection and airbag (!) standards are also welcome changes.

Quote:
Hideout's website currently has little info. However, the June issue of the UK's Ride magazine has an article on page 50 about the emerging trend of CE PPE clothing. The article reviews Hideout's Hi-Pro suit, citing it as CE approved.
I see, thanks. I'm adding it to the list of companies to contact for clarification.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitygear View Post
I have the testing PROOF of what my gloves are capable of. My data; the facts absolutely speak for themselves! DARE to compare?
The only fact relevant to this thread is that you do not have full EN13594 certification. Whether it is due to bureaucratic formality or deliberate choice, I do not care, frankly.

That is all I'm going to say. Please do inform us when/if the above changes.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #29
velocitygear
safety =~SPEED

Oddometer: 642
unwilling

That will not change anytime soon, having dealt with SATRA in regard to back protector certifications, it is VERY CLEAR they are in it for the money.

My desire is to have my products tested scientifically against those tests that apply. Paying thousands of dollars on a CE certification, a certificate is pointless, unless you just want to knitpick dye, ergonomic and other trivial tests.

I CHALLENGE you to find testing data in regard to cut, tear, seam burst and abrasion resistance.

I'll post my SATRA and CTC documents IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND any such data from ANYONE ELSE!!

I believe that's relevant!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about this. We can only hope the "industry involvement" here won't be quite like the Microsoft/ISO wholesale buyout.
I think you already know where this is leading, I know I do!

Quote:
Whether it is due to bureaucratic formality or deliberate choice, I do not care, frankly.
BLINDERS anyone?

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com

velocitygear screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 04:29 PM
velocitygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
MotoandCo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
SoubiraC

All the SoubiraC rated CE are Level 2.
http://www.soubirac.eu/vetements/veste#203