Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,047
A different kind of "Left-Turner" took me down today...

I've crashed a ton over the years on dirt. On singletrack, I've cartwheeled off-trail, hit trees, hit rocks, thrown my bike off cliffs, fallen in culverts, etc. Very comical, most of them. One of my most spectacular crashes even made the Front Page of this establishment. I've crashed in Harescrambles and on tracks and broken bones as well. Nothing to really warrant a "Face-Plant" in this forum topic, in my opinion (walked/rode away from 99% of my crashes). Today, I and my SV650 had our first honest Face-Plant in front of the general public, and managed to walk away from it "mostly" fine

Here in Ft. Collins, we have this street that is a 2-lane One-Way, with active train-tracks running between each one-way lane (Mason St.). I'm in the left lane, 30 mph speed limit, which I'm doing. A POS Ford Fiesta turns into the right lane ahead of me and matches my speed, staying about 30' in front of me. We pass through 4 green lights with no problem, but as we approach a main cross-street (Mountain Ave.), he suddenly turns left. Across the train tracks, and across my lane! This intersection changes from asphalt to concrete, and is very worn (read: slick). I scream, "Hey, Man!" and grab both brakes, thinking "I'll have enough braking power to let his car pass and miss his rear bumper!" Nope. Front-end slides out and down on my left I go...

Front tire hits his left rear tire, and I slide to a stop just next to the bike. I remember seeing my left mirror and bar-end go rolling, and I'm up in a second, looking at him going, "WTF?" He stops, and gets out, terrified! I'm not really that shaken, and it takes me 3 times to yell at him, "Help me pick up the bike!" We get it to the corner and on the sidewalk, and start to exchange info. Turns out, he's only lived here for a few weeks (Virginia plates). I guess I can understand his confusion on this particular street, especially if you think it's 2-way. He thought so, so when he turned left, assumed the lane I was in was southbound, and saw no oncoming traffic. And, didn't see me either (why would you check your six to turn left on an "assumed" 2-way street?)

So, aftermath for me is a raspberry on my left elbow (Fieldsheer armored jacket, KBC helmet, Cortech gloves, jeans-I know, hiking boots), raspberry left knee, bruised calf from swingarm slamming on it. Bike had frame-sliders, bar-ends, so only damage is bent bars, bent clutch lever, sheared-off shift foot, left mirror, left bar-end still good, left rear blinker. So, all-in-all, not a terrible crash. But certainly a weird one. Never heard of a Left-Turner take out someone going in the same direction before, but I'm sure it happens. If you find yourself on a street like this one, here's your warning of yet something else to look out for. My 99% just went down to 95%: bike wouldn't start because the clutch-switch wouldn't engage. Otherwise, I would have rode home

Ride safe.

(No pictures because, well, they wouldn't be very impressive, and they'd take up bandwidth )

-- Wuds
'94 DR 350SER

Wudscrasher screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 08:54 PM
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,186
I've been down that road before visiting my sister. It is a bit odd if you're not used to the layout. I believe it is 5th St. in downtown MPLS. that has the same kind of set up since lightrail came to be.

Glad you're OK...

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview View Post
I've been down that road before visiting my sister. It is a bit odd if you're not used to the layout. I believe it is 5th St. in downtown MPLS. that has the same kind of set up since lightrail came to be.

Glad you're OK...

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Yup. Odd road if you're used to 2-way traffic. I forgot to mention there were no other vehicles going in our direction at all. If he had seen other cars in my lane heading the same way he was, this probably wouldn't have happened. Chalk this up to "Shit Happens". I'm actually thankful the front tire lost grip, because had I hit him squarely at ~5mph, my balls would be the size of watermelons after hitting the huge SV gas tank!

I'll gladly take some scrapes over enormous, aching testicles...
'94 DR 350SER
Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,148
Glad to hear that you're okay (well, reasonably so anyhow!). You've also got a hell of a good attitude about the whole situation, given it was completely his fault.

I went down on my SV in a similar situation a couple of months ago, except it was a trucker who pulled into the left lane I was in, I was going about 70-80 (highway), and... came out with less injuries than you did! Thankfully my gear saved my ass... and I got lucky as hell. I walked away from it with nothing but a couple of bruises. The trucker never stopped (though, to be fair, I never made contact with him).

Did the driver have insurance to cover the damages?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Glad to hear that you're okay (well, reasonably so anyhow!).

Did the driver have insurance to cover the damages?
Damn! Glad it was a Fiesta, not a trucker! Yes, the guy was covered, and was cooperative when the CSO called him. I told the CSO not to charge him, but scare the shit out of him. If his insurance covers the damage, no sense to take him to court. He's driving a fiesta. If it were a BMW/cell phone talker...gloves are off...
'94 DR 350SER
Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
Man...glad you're ok! Anytime I see out of state plates or even rural county plates near me I take pause and assume they're lost. Sounds like a weird street....I gotta look that one up!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,186
I miss Fort Collins. My uncle is still there and my grandmother moved there last summer from OKC. She's in an assisted living place.

Rode the sidecar rig there in '09 with my two 10 yr old boys. Need to get back out there and ride some foothills.

Again,... glad you're OK.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
I've crashed a ton over the years on dirt. On singletrack, I've cartwheeled off-trail, hit trees, hit rocks, thrown my bike off cliffs, fallen in culverts, etc. Very comical, most of them. One of my most spectacular crashes even made the Front Page of this establishment. I've crashed in Harescrambles and on tracks and broken bones as well. Nothing to really warrant a "Face-Plant" in this forum topic, in my opinion (walked/rode away from 99% of my crashes). Today, I and my SV650 had our first honest Face-Plant in front of the general public, and managed to walk away from it "mostly" fine

Here in Ft. Collins, we have this street that is a 2-lane One-Way, with active train-tracks running between each one-way lane (Mason St.). I'm in the left lane, 30 mph speed limit, which I'm doing. A POS Ford Fiesta turns into the right lane ahead of me and matches my speed, staying about 30' in front of me. We pass through 4 green lights with no problem, but as we approach a main cross-street (Mountain Ave.), he suddenly turns left. Across the train tracks, and across my lane! This intersection changes from asphalt to concrete, and is very worn (read: slick). I scream, "Hey, Man!" and grab both brakes, thinking "I'll have enough braking power to let his car pass and miss his rear bumper!" Nope. Front-end slides out and down on my left I go...

Front tire hits his left rear tire, and I slide to a stop just next to the bike. I remember seeing my left mirror and bar-end go rolling, and I'm up in a second, looking at him going, "WTF?" He stops, and gets out, terrified! I'm not really that shaken, and it takes me 3 times to yell at him, "Help me pick up the bike!" We get it to the corner and on the sidewalk, and start to exchange info. Turns out, he's only lived here for a few weeks (Virginia plates). I guess I can understand his confusion on this particular street, especially if you think it's 2-way. He thought so, so when he turned left, assumed the lane I was in was southbound, and saw no oncoming traffic. And, didn't see me either (why would you check your six to turn left on an "assumed" 2-way street?)

So, aftermath for me is a raspberry on my left elbow (Fieldsheer armored jacket, KBC helmet, Cortech gloves, jeans-I know, hiking boots), raspberry left knee, bruised calf from swingarm slamming on it. Bike had frame-sliders, bar-ends, so only damage is bent bars, bent clutch lever, sheared-off shift foot, left mirror, left bar-end still good, left rear blinker. So, all-in-all, not a terrible crash. But certainly a weird one. Never heard of a Left-Turner take out someone going in the same direction before, but I'm sure it happens. If you find yourself on a street like this one, here's your warning of yet something else to look out for. My 99% just went down to 95%: bike wouldn't start because the clutch-switch wouldn't engage. Otherwise, I would have rode home

Ride safe.

(No pictures because, well, they wouldn't be very impressive, and they'd take up bandwidth )

-- Wuds
Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Where is this?
Fort Collins. Probably Mason Street. Close to where someone crawled under a moving train a couple months ago.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Fort Collins. Probably Mason Street. Close to where someone crawled under a moving train a couple months ago.

View Larger Map

Ding-ding! Winner! Mason is a 1-way, with 2 lanes bisected by train tracks. Car was in right lane and turned left on Mountain in front of me. Go to Google Street View at that intersection.
'94 DR 350SER
Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing your experience too!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,200
Similar left turner got me, too. Glad you're ok!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Turns out, he's only lived here for a few weeks (Virginia plates).
When I lived in Lincoln Nebraska, out of town plates were a big red flag to watch out for. Sadly here in Leavenworth with the military fort here a third of the cars on the road are out of town.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
that's a tough one to predict. glad you came out of it ok. hopefully they'll learn a lesson and be more careful about watching for motorcycles in the future.
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
I guess I can understand his confusion on this particular street, especially if you think it's 2-way. He thought so, so when he turned left, assumed the lane I was in was southbound, and saw no oncoming traffic. And, didn't see me either (why would you check your six to turn left on an "assumed" 2-way street?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
You've also got a hell of a good attitude about the whole situation, given it was completely his fault.
+1

Refreshing to hear someone consider things from another's perspective!
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote