User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Visian OP
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
The GS Giant's Adventure Summit - July 15-22, 2012 in AR and MO

REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. WE GOTTA LOTTA GIANTS HEADING OUR WAY!

The GS Giant is back, and this year he's MO Bigga!

“What is a GS Giant” you ask? A good navigator that ventures off the beaten path. Good storytelling, photo and/or video skills are also part of the picture. Ahead of the BMW MOA rally in Sedalia, MO, the GS Giant can take a dual-sport gypsy tour through the wilds of the Arkansas. And at the rally, on the track, the GS Giant will totally be taking everyone’s lunch money.

This is a very good deal, just a hundred bucks for a truly great time... and if you're just going to the rally, everything there is free! The event is made possible through the spirited volunteer efforts of The GS Giants... the power behind Adventure Summits.

There will be much more information posted in the weeks to come, so please watch this thread.

For now, here's a video overview of what you can expect at the GS Giant's Adventure Summit:

Here are some more pics:

Hope you can make it!

Visian screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 05:18 AM
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
1DzMotard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
2011 Rally Video

Enjoy the GS Giant's & BMW MOA Rally never know what you'r going to encounter.

1DzMotard screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 02:23 PM
1DzMotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Video

Nice video, looks like you had a great time. Not a bad first post either. Weclome.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Visian OP
Look out!

We've got the good folks at Butler Maps helping us lay out a ride from Oark to Sedalia.

Maybe 1dzMotard's buddy can keep from throwing the bike off the hill again. :loll

Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
1DzMotard
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
Nice video, looks like you had a great time. Not a bad first post either. Weclome.
Thank's! I did have a great time, met a lot of guy's that ride the same trails. I would have never thought that old folks would get down the trail or should I say cow path's, boy was I wrong. My 450 made it easy fun for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
1DzMotard
Adventurer

March Moto Madness Rally 2012

What a great weekend ride!

1DzMotard screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 12:53 PM
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Visian OP
Look out!

What the Ozark boys are up to in routing the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour.

Thanks Troy and Sean... two of the Ozark boyz, GS Giants in the making.

Stupid things done faster with coffee.

pssssssst: registrations for this event are coming in fast, and we have a limit... please register early.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Visian OP
Look out!

Adventure Riding 101 with the GS Giants

While all the inmates here are mostly grizzled veterans, it seems that at every adventure event there are a goodly number of n00bs that are watching from the sidelines. Some just bought a dualsport bike, others haven't made that jump but are interested.

So... at the GS Giant's Adventure Summit there are several opportunities to get you started in adventure riding:

A longer discussion follows below, but for the ADHD among us, here are just the facts:

Coach Ramey Stroud, free training in Oark, AR July 16-17
Dylan Lane's Dirt Farm, fee-based MSF training in Sedalia, July 19 and 21
Lt. Dan's GSM Motorent Dual-sport motorcycle rentals in Sedalia, July 19-21
Adventure 101 seminar, check your rally program
Adventure riding competition, July 20
Open Track, easy to ride, July 21

Dylan Lane gives the good word to a young beginner riding a rental bike from Lt. Dan's GSM Motorent

Here's the longer version...

Adventure riding 101
The GS Giants show you how

If you think adventure riding is fun, it is. If you think it’s hard, it isn’t. And at the BMW MOA rally in July, the GS Giants will help you get started.

Basic training
This is your best first step, and you get two opportunities.

The first is with Coach Ramey Stroud, who will give you basic pointers at the GS Giant’s Gypsy Tour down in Oark, Arkansas on July 16 & 17. You’ll ride your own bike, and learn essential techniques from one of the best in the business. Then you’ll party with the GS Giants, and explore some of the very fun and easy dirt roads in the area, some of the best in the country. Learn more about Coach at www.ridecoach.com

The second opportunity is with Dylan Lane of The Dirt Farm, who offers MSF-certified training at various training facilities throughout the country. In Sedalia there will be at least two classes available for a very reasonable fee. The dates are Thursday, July 19, and Saturday, July 21, and the times will be in your rally program. If there’s an interest, Dylan can also provide “Individual Trail Riding” training for more skilled riders on their own bikes. Learn more about Dylan at reserve your spot at www.thedirtfarm.info

Rent a bike
You can even join in on the fun if you don’t currently ride a dirt bike. Dan Dickey of www.GSMmotorent.com will be at the rally with bikes to rent. You can ride on the adventure track or on the excellent dirt roads surrounding the rally. You can even rent a bike for The Dirt Farm class. Dan’s bikes include small and light 250s, middle-weight 650s and a heavyweight bike or two, all at very reasonable prices. It’s best to reserve a bike ahead of time, and If you’re a beginner, choose the small bikes.

Seminars and socializing
Several GS Giants will be giving a seminar at the rally, and you’ll learn basic information about bike selection, packing, camping, navigating and more. It’s a great primer to help you prepare for the fun to come.

And any time during the rally, feel free to stop in at the GS Giants’ area to say hi, ask questions and hang out. Don’t miss the track competition, it’s scheduled for Friday afternoon, July 20. Check your rally program for precise time.

Try out the track
So please join us, even if you can’t take a class, you are more than welcome to come ride the track on Saturday, July 21. There is an easy path you can enjoy, and you can choose some good adventure challenges to sharpen your skills if you want. About the only thing we won’t do is wash your bike... because it’s supposed to be dirty!

Stagehand shows the n00bs how it's done on the Adventure Track.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 240
Rides from Sedalia?

I won't be able to take off for the whole Gypsy Tour, but still hope to get the GS dirty. Will there be some off-road rides organized from Sedalia or routes available?
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
I won't be able to take off for the whole Gypsy Tour, but still hope to get the GS dirty. Will there be some off-road rides organized from Sedalia or routes available?
Yes, a couple self-led GPS routes along interesting gravel roads, and at least one ride to an OHV area where you can pick your poison. If we get someone to volunteer, an easy day ride or two are also in the cards.

I did a little "research" in the area when visiting last October, but we could really use some local Missouri riders to help out.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Visian OP
Look out!

Stopped by Byrds on the way home from Utah

Hi - got a chance to stop by Byrd's Adventure Center in Ozark, AR on the way home from the Adventure Summit in Utah. Unfortunately, I was in an RV and couldn't spend a day riding around. :(

The riding in this area is phenomenal, you really need to register and join the fun.

Here are a few pics to whet your appetite.

Your ride starts here with a stop-in at the Oark store. Getcha a burger....

There will be a swimmin' hole....

The scenery is somewhat unique.

There is plenty of trail riding right at the campground. And wait until you see the surrounding area.

You're going to have a great time!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Getting closer

Today I freed up my schedule to actually ride my bike out instead of sending it with friends and flying out. Very psyched about that! Now, should I ride direct to Sedalia, or spend the extra 5 hours and go to Oark and ride up as a Gypsy on Wednesday? (Can I do that?)

Would love to see some day rides with 'hero' sections to use some of those skills I've been working on...

-Dawn

AnyDay screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 06:10 PM Reason: clarity
Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,240
Quote:
Today I freed up my schedule to actually ride my bike out instead of sending it with friends and flying out. Very psyched about that! Now, should I ride direct to Sedalia, or spend the extra 5 hours and go to Oark and ride up as a Gypsy on Wednesday? (Can I do that?)

Would love to see some day rides with 'hero' sections to use some of those skills I've been working on...

-Dawn
You will have plenty of opportunity to be a hero around Oark.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
You will have plenty of opportunity to be a hero around Oark.
Just a little bit would be fine :)
Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #15
Visian OP
Look out!

Quote:
There are a number of challenging little bits right there at the campground, but take a look at some of the pics from the Ozark boyz. This will be the "hard" route to Sedalia from Arkansas.

You leave Byrd's and get into 65 miles of fun stuff like this...

Hike a short way out to the Glory Hole and getcha some GS BS points..

Here's why the hard ride is a track and not a route. Garmin wouldn't draw the route through the river.

Visian is offline   Reply With Quote