User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Rick G OP
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,912
Tell me about the Vespa GTS 250

Now that I have a couple of years putting around on my Sym Fiddle 125, I think I am ready to move upstairs to a Vespa. The model that has my eye is a late model GTS 250 (or 300). I like that it still has the classic lines of a Vespa but also has enough power to be more than a neighborhood scooter which is really what my Sym is.

So tell me about that GTS. Likes and dislikes? Any model years to avoid? What should I look for with a used model? Any advantages with the 300 over the 250? How many miles is too many? I actually prefer to go with the 250 only because I like the sound of GTS 250 rather than GTS 300. I know, that is silly, but so are scooters. But they are really good silly fun.

And if you happen to have a nice one for sale somewhere near OH, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks for you insight.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,708
Hopefully you will get plenty of good advice here but make sure you check out Modern Vespa.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Great scoot...

Not perfect, but great I have one since new, nice blend of power and economy. Have taken some longer trips on it and its a great little tourer.

If I had to replace it I'd sooner seek out another GTS250 rather than a newer GTS300 which have had more quality and reliability issues.

Some GTS models were under a fuel pump recall, a quick VIN submission to an authorized dealer should clarify if its needed/been done yet, but its an important-ish one.

The GT200 (earlier, carbureted version) is also popular, more in-town than touring duty oriented IMO as it doesnt have *quite* the oomph as the FI 250. Close, but just a little less for the carb and smaller displacement.

More info than you can choke a horse with at modernvespa.com.

Good luck and happy scooting regardless of what your scooting on.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
OKC99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I bought a brand new 09 250 last month and coudn't be happier. It's the perfect balance. Very stable at 60mph. Much more than I thought a 12 inch wheel would feel. Very light and easy to move around a garage and parking space. It's so good it's like cheating :)

I added a huge Givi top box with integrated brake/turn signals. Now I feel super safe! Leaving on a 3 day road trip in 2 hours!
OKC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

pix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC99 View Post
I Leaving on a 3 day road trip in 2 hours!
We'll be expecting some pictures!
(or it didn't happen)

Have fun
Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 143
Ive been riding my 07 for a year now and really enjoy it. I get about 80 imperial MPG and top speed is an indicated 75mph that translates to an actual 68mph. Others seem to be faster than mine. The engine is very smooth and quiet and the ride and handling is very good. I recently put on some Michelin City Grips and indeed they do grip much better than the stock Savas. I also replaced the original spark plug with an NGK iridium one. The bike gets a lot of attention and always puts a smile on my face. For reference, my other bikes are a Honda ST1300 and a Suzuki TL 1000 and the GTS is at least as fun as both of those but with a much more relaxed riding style.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
I've had a GTS300 for about a year now and I can't find anything about it that bothers me. Taking a passenger isn't the best as the engine cowl is wide, but I rarely do that.

Though it is my first scooter, I deliberated for several years and I feel like I chose wisely. Smooth, powerful, quiet, comfortable, stylish, classic. What else can be said? One of the greats.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Jimo's 68 mph top speed sounds realistic. A small rider, crouching a bit, won't see much more than about 72 on GPS.

That works out to roughly 14 horsepower at the rear wheel for the Vespa 250. Enough for 60 mph cruising on a level road, provided there's no hint of headwind. And the 300 develops much the same power, they claim.

If you are wanting more performance than that [without going to a maxi-scooter], then there aren't many choices.
Honda 300, Kymco 300, and the big Bev 350 [still a dark horse, but by rights it ought to be good].
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Agree

On the top speed. I run without a windscreen but with a GPS and haven't been able to push much past 72 GPS-verified MPH...or about 80 indicated.

There are numerous people on, errr another forum I visit dedicated soley to Vespas, claiming 88-89 mph to which I simply roll my eyes.

My longest trip at 1400 miles on my GTS250 netted an average speed of 57 by GPS. It was also my best trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Jimo's 68 mph top speed sounds realistic. A small rider, crouching a bit, won't see much more than about 72 on GPS.

That works out to roughly 14 horsepower at the rear wheel for the Vespa 250. Enough for 60 mph cruising on a level road, provided there's no hint of headwind. And the 300 develops much the same power, they claim.

If you are wanting more performance than that [without going to a maxi-scooter], then there aren't many choices.
Honda 300, Kymco 300, and the big Bev 350 [still a dark horse, but by rights it ought to be good].
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I think you'll love the GTS. You already have the R1150 GS and the Triumph for other kinds of riding, so the GTS will fill out that little group very nicely!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
OKC99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm curious what does "a dark horse" mean? Sound nefarious :)
OKC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

I'll defer to what others have said about top speed as I haven't measured mine with GPS.
I will say however, that they are pretty quick at getting there and out on the street they run well with any traffic.
'11 Vespa GTS300
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC99 View Post
I'm curious what does "a dark horse" mean? Sound nefarious :)
Long shot, underdog, unlikely one.
'11 Vespa GTS300
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
They are little touring scoots :)

Hey guys i was talking with an owner if a 250 and a 300 who works at a powersports shop and he said the scoots are "maintenance intensive." He rides A LOT, though.

But in YOUR experience what does that mean? I had no time to follow up with him.

What is cost of ownership like when the miles pile on? Is it a DIY scoot in anyway? Is "scheduled maintenance" costly and what other repair and maintenance do these commonly need?

Thanks!

Oh, I know about MV, too. Just want some opinions from those who may have owned something other then a Vespa at some point, or even now.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
They are little touring scoots :)

Hey guys i was talking with an owner if a 250 and a 300 who works at a powersports shop and he said the scoots are "maintenance intensive." He rides A LOT, though.

But in YOUR experience what does that mean? I had no time to follow up with him.

What is cost of ownership like when the miles pile on? Is it a DIY scoot in anyway? Is "scheduled maintenance" costly and what other repair and maintenance do these commonly need?

Thanks!

Oh, I know about MV, too. Just want some opinions from those who may have owned something other then a Vespa at some point, or even now.
Well, take tires for example. Many of the 12" tires last only 3500 miles or so (on the rear), and they're not exactly cheap. Belts...depending on the scooter you have, may need to be replaced around 9,000 miles. Compared to a chain driven motorcycle like a Yamaha or Suzuki dual sport, I think they cost more per mile for maintenance.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote