User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
1/8 Bracket Racing

A got talked into signing up for the local Holden Vs Ford 1/8 mile, Bracket Racing,

as they wanted more bikes to to their air port drag racing,

never done drag racing before, any tips

will be taking my track bike Honda 02 cbr600f4i
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I drag raced a lot when I was younger, cars and bikes. What do you want to know?

A huge amount of the result in a drag race comes down to the launch. Here in the states we measure the launch by the time for the first 60 feet of the track ("sixty foot time"). A common rule of thumb is that every 0.1 seconds you can cut off there gives you 0.2 seconds over the quarter mile, because getting out of the hole quickly is so important. I know know what the rule of thumb would be for an eighth-mile, but I bet it is similar. All of the hard work is done in the first 1/8th anyway, the second half is just wide open in a high gear.

Gearshift time is important, and inversely proportional to speed. A quick 1-2 shift is really important, whereas missing 4th gear won't hurt your time nearly as much (it will hurt your trap speed, though).

The place you're going to see the most variation, especially in bracket racing, is on the launch. You're going to want to try to stage to the same depth in the beams (most guys trying to go fast will shallow stage, in that they will barely brake the second beam, whereas guys worried about reaction time (RT) will often deep state, to the extent that they roll out of the pre-stage beam. You want to have a good solid routine where you do the same thing every time, launch at the same RPM, etc. It's real easy to wheelie a sportbike out of the hole if you launch hard on a sticky track, so be aware.

Oh, and don't drive through the water box. If you feel the need to do a burnout, go around it and back into it.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
I drag raced a lot when I was younger, cars and bikes. What do you want to know?
>snip<
Oh, and don't drive through the water box. If you feel the need to do a burnout, go around it and back into it.
Great advice! I wouldn't have thought of accessing the waterbox, by backing in. We have 1/8 Drags on a regular basis here and I always wanted to figure out what Techniques to use.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

yeah, i supose ill have to warm em up a little, ive got almost new but a few year old tyres on it, dunlop road smart silicone sports touring tyres lol. they are probably a bit hard, and not so sticky.

Took the bike down today, removed the rack, blinkers, all the touring electrical crap, mirrors, disabled the headlight and taped up the headlight too. I couldnt remove the heated grips, so their on and still connected, my hands will be warm atleast lol...

i read up on the rules of bracket racing, but really im just going to have some fun i think.

any tips on suspention settings i should use. its set up for cornering lol

Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

these would pretty much be the rules im guessing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket_racing

pretty much sounds like i do my dam best during qualifying, then do almost as good during the rest
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
Gday.
Firstly, it's bloody good fun, and addictive! Who would have thought just pullin the pin in a straight line would leave such a grin? So make sure you enjoy the day.
Bracket racing is all about consistency, not the ET or the speed. I've won more races on little 600s and slow cruisers than I can count. It's really stressful for the quick guys to sit on the line waiting for 2secs or more while you're happily disappearing into the distance, 1/2 the time they red light or screw up the launch coz when their lights starts down the tree it surprises them. I remember having to sit on the line once for over 5secs (my 9secs bike vs his 14sec Hoggley), DAMN it seemed like a long time!

To get consistency, try not to jump it out of the hole too much. I always recommend for beginners to just pretend their sitting between the lines at the traffic lights, and then get out smooth, and then once out roll it in. It may not be the fastest 60ft, but it WILL be very repeatable. Count the yellow lights, one, two, launch, time it in your head, 1/2 slip the clutch as the last yellow is DUE, not lit, and your reaction times will be OK. If you wait past that you're toast.

Have fun, enjoy the day.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

yeah im not going to hammer it with in an inch of its life, more of ride like i normally ride from traffic lights, so might be some wheel spinning and wheelies i think off the line...
Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...vd____D__-.mp4

first run, i blew my wanky chineese alloy oil filler plug off and got oil all over my exhaust.

got the oem plug and 100mls more oil in and continued but missed a run,

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...vd____D__-.mp4

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...drags224p3.mp4

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...drags224p4.mp4

well the results, i ran 8.77 to 8.64 in the qualifying for the 1/8th a mile with about 5 runs all but one of my runs i was running 8.7x, so i dialed in 8.6 as my bracket. Raced the Finals against Viv a ex pro dragbiker, on a 1992 suzuki 750 thing he pieced out of a wrecker for 500 bux. I ran 8.55, i broke out of my bracket a break out, so i was disqualified. thus i lost... but, thats bloody close to my bracket,

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...drags224p5.mp4

all in all a fun day for 70 bux n a lot of anger taken out on tyres. those lights were daunting and bloody quick, u cant het a ready set go, its just wam

i have onboard video with an oregen sciene atc3000 action cam ill add later

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 07:21 AM