Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Tom W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by supervision View Post
My take is, if you cause the red flag, your race is over. Total BS in my opinion
I agree and here's my thinking: If Young had popped up and got off the track, the race would have continued without him. I'm not saying that Young was 'faking it' (though his later performance did show him to be healthy enough and crazy enough that it's at least possible), but this policy could encourage riders to stay on track to force a re-start. The rule should be changed from a simple safety perspective - not for the rider who might fake it and get what he deserves, but for the other riders who could get injured running into him.

And what if someone is having a bad race and losing the leaders? Can they cause a red-flag and then get a fresh start with a newly bunched grouping? I'd actually like to see a staggered start after a red-flag that puts things back closer to where they were. A rider who has put thirty seconds between him and a number 2 rider shouldn't have to lose that advantage and start all over.

With that said, Young's performance was nothing short of amazing. He certainly seems determined to not simply hand over another championship to Hayes.

And it was great to see May and EBR with a top five finish. America - Fuck Yeah!

And Harley Davidson - Fuck you.

Tom W. screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 08:26 PM
Tom W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
I agree and here's my thinking: If Young had popped up and got off the track, the race would have continued without him. I'm not saying that Young was 'faking it' (though his later performance did show him to be healthy enough and crazy enough that it's at least possible), but this policy could encourage riders to stay on track to force a re-start. The rule should be changed from a simple safety perspective - not for the rider who might fake it and get what he deserves, but for the other riders who could get injured running into him.

With that said, Young's performance was nothing short of amazing. He certainly seems determined to not simply hand over another championship to Hayes.

And it was great to see May and EBR with a top five finish. America - Fuck Yeah!

And Harley Davidson - Fuck you.
It's nothing new. I can remember Aaron Yates laying on the track to force a red flag not all that many years ago. I'm sure he wasn't the first. And I agree - I believe that if you cause the red flag you should be done.

I'm not a Blake Young fan, but that was one heck of a ride. It's going to be interesting to see how the championship shapes up this year.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
A simple rule change, would stop this. Say Young had landed clear of the track, no red flag, his race would have been over.
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
SBK Race 1

1. Young
2. Hayes
3. Herrin
4. R. Hayden
5. May

Hayes & Young ran off, then Young apparently contacted Hayes with 7 to go, and Young went down. Young restarted DFL but got a major hole-shot to sit in 4th by the end of the 1st lap back.
How on earth...did Blake start in last place on the grid and pass 16 bikes to 4th by the end of the first lap ??? I smell a rat...are the jump start black flags even used on the back of the grid ??? I can't believe what I just watched happen...wow...epic race
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
How on earth...did Blake start in last place on the grid and pass 16 bikes to 4th by the end of the first lap ??? I smell a rat...are the jump start black flags even used on the back of the grid ??? I can't believe what I just watched happen...wow...epic race

Blake passed Geoff May like he was on a cool down lap, I don't know about the initial restart, maybe he did jump but DAMN Blake was a man on a mission.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Reports from the track say Blake Young had the wind knocked out of him and could not get up. And he was in maybe the most dangerous place on the track. To fake it there is like a suicide wish.

I am not Blake Young fan, but I don't think he faked anything.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 687
It was an old (and well used) dirt track tactic followed by a truly epic, 7 lap ride. I was watching from the bridge overlooking 10A & 10B and Young's entries into 10A were breath taking. He and Hayes put on quite the show, He earned that 1st place.
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Just watched both races on PVR- My heart was pounding...I may have woken my wife from shouting at the TV,LOL.
Never really been a Young fan before, but wow.......the racing was good before the restart...after it, rates up there in the top 10 races I think I've ever seen.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
My take is, if you cause the red flag, your race is over. Total BS in my opinion
Agreed, especially if you cause the red flag intentionally. He actually crawled towards the middle of the track to be sure they'd red flag it.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #25
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Reports from the track say Blake Young had the wind knocked out of him and could not get up. And he was in maybe the most dangerous place on the track. To fake it there is like a suicide wish.

He didn't. He was hurting afterward.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #26
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,384
Interesting............

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Apr/120422m.htm

Young thought that Hayes should have started on the back row?
Is this kid really that stupid?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:

The red flag was because he was on the ground but did he cause the accident? Don't think anyone could make that call and if it wasn't his fault why shouldn't he be given another chance.

And really, if the other riders can't finish ahead of someone starting last in a 6 lap race why should they be given anymore of a benefit.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #28
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

This.

I am becomming a Blake Young fan as every races passes. Motogp in?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post

I am becomming a Blake Young fan as every races passes. Motogp in?
How can you not be? That performance was incredible.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The red flag was because he was on the ground but did he cause the accident? Don't think anyone could make that call and if it wasn't his fault why shouldn't he be given another chance.

And really, if the other riders can't finish ahead of someone starting last in a 6 lap race why should they be given anymore of a benefit.
Not true, the Yellow flag was because he was on the ground, the red flag came out as he intentionally crawled further out towards the middle of the track. (Take a look at your DVR if you recorded it like I did). That to me makes it an intentional act, which is completely different than if he crashed and just didn't move. He should not have been rewarded with a restart after that.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote