Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Any non XT owners feel cramped leg room wise on the XB models?

I had an 09 XB9 (which was stolen) and test road an STT that had the aftermarket drop pegs. I'm 6'1 and continually felt like I was kissing my knees. Other than that and the bikes tendency to stand up while braking mid lean its butter smooth and a good time. I'd definitely go 12 over a 9. I found the 9 to be a considerable dissapoinent in the power department. The 12 was on par with what I was hoping / expecting.

I know many love the S1 lightning's, but general review isn't kind to them....
Borderline "worst motorcycle ever built" pops up a few times.....

Never rode one so I can't comment. But did a little net snooping after thinkin they were pretty cool looking.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

I had an 09 XB9 (which was stolen) and test road an STT that had the aftermarket drop pegs. I'm 6'1 and continually felt like I was kissing my knees. Other than that and the bikes tendency to stand up while braking mid lean its butter smooth and a good time. I'd definitely go 12 over a 9. I found the 9 to be a considerable dissapoinent in the power department. The 12 was on par with what I was hoping / expecting.
Thanks for the input on the differences between the 9 and 12. Pretty much what I figured and if I do go the XB route I'd probably stick with the 12 unless I found a screamin' deal on a 9

Quote:

I know many love the S1 lightning's, but general review isn't kind to them....
Borderline "worst motorcycle ever built" pops up a few times.....

Never rode one so I can't comment. But did a little net snooping after thinkin they were pretty cool looking.

Yeah, this was my general feel about them as well, and I shied away from them for that reason. Then again, maybe it has to do with expectations. When comparing it to a finely polished, modern Japanese bike, I'm sure the Lightnings are turds in most areas and ways motorcycles are measured in terms of fit and finish, polish and performance and refinement. For example, a couple of days ago Yamaha had their demo ride truck at a local dealer so I stopped in for the hell of it. I rode a Super Tenere just to see how I liked it compared to my GS, and then I rode the one I really wanted to ride, the FZ8. The FZ8 was a nice ride and I could definitely see myself with one... But, you know what? The whole time I was riding it I kept thinking that it lacked something... some undefined quality that some call "character". Whatever you call it, while a very nice and polished, inexpensive little standard style and sporty bike, it left me a little cold. I could see myself liking it and having fun, but not loving it or developing any sort of special bond with it. Ok, so maybe some people dont' understand that, and maybe some think it's stupid, but for me it is an important part of a motorcycle. One of my all time favorite bikes was my '93 Ducati 900SS. It was not the most polished or best performing bike by any means, but it had that special something and I loved it. And I still have that bike today.

But, if looking at the S1 as something that is just raw and elemental, maybe, just maybe it's not all that bad as a toy with character. I guess I need to do a little more net snooping myself over the next few days and see if I can learn more than that general and vague idea that I've had about them in the past.

But, really that's the reason for this thread here. I know that if I want to learn all about the Buells then badweatherbikers is the place to be, but at this point I was hoping to get the unbiased opinions of a bunch of diehard motorcyclists with tons of real world experience either direct or through their fellow riders and friends that had experience with them. I mean, what sort of response am I going to get on a site populated entirely by Buell enthusiast? The guys that had them and hated them probably aren't still spending a lot of time around there, so I'd be more likely to get a skewed and biased opinion there.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 06:07 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Regardless of whatever, I still find myself browsing them on craigslist..... late at night..... when no ones looking......

My old XB9 someone on the street liked so much they took it for themselves.....

The buell was actually her favorite to ride the back of out of the 18 motorcycles I've had.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Sweet bike! Cool chick! Looked pretty hot too form what little I could see... .

And yeah, I've been a closet browser myself...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Hi my names Keith and I'm a Buell convert

I have an 07 STT and love the thing. I had always had the impression that owners had had a good quaff of bullshit kool aid and raved over them because they bought a turd and didn't want to admit it.

Then the damnedest thing happened: somebody on here bought an M2 and started tarting it up and it looked pretty damn neat in the stripped down way Randy's thinking. Next thing ya know I'm closet surfing them myself and stumble upon the STT and get an immediate hard on for one but thought I'd never find one. Couple months later I'm in a close by MoCo boutique and they had this demo unit on hand. I took it out and when I returned to the shop I bought it.

So far I have had no real problems with mine, but I've only put a couple thousand miles on it. They have a certain soul about them: they're raw and unrefined but the thing makes good power for what it is and it handles as though it were on rails. It is not as refined as a Japanese liter bike (or likely the BMW S bike but I have no experience there) but its fun in a in it's way.

Find one to ride and give it a spin you may be surprised at what you find.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
Hi my names Keith and I'm a Buell convert

I have an 07 STT and love the thing. I had always had the impression that owners had had a good quaff of bullshit kool aid and raved over them because they bought a turd and didn't want to admit it.

Then the damnedest thing happened: somebody on here bought an M2 and started tarting it up and it looked pretty damn neat in the stripped down way Randy's thinking. Next thing ya know I'm closet surfing them myself and stumble upon the STT and get an immediate hard on for one but thought I'd never find one. Couple months later I'm in a close by MoCo boutique and they had this demo unit on hand. I took it out and when I returned to the shop I bought it.

So far I have had no real problems with mine, but I've only put a couple thousand miles on it. They have a certain soul about them: they're raw and unrefined but the thing makes good power for what it is and it handles as though it were on rails. It is not as refined as a Japanese liter bike (or likely the BMW S bike but I have no experience there) but its fun in a in it's way.

Find one to ride and give it a spin you may be surprised at what you find.

Exactly what happened to me.

Then found this one.....

http://www.bartelsharley.com/default...l=&t=U&rp=5995

Test rode it and an XR1200. I'm still researching ways to lower the foot pegs. Maybe Uly foot peg / rear rails will mount up.......
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Yes they will mount right up! We have them on a white STT about like yours but it's an 07. Put Uly hangers,pegs & bars on it. It really opened up the riding position.

Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Yes they will mount right up! We have them on a white STT about like yours but it's an 07. Put Uly hangers,pegs & bars on it. It really opened up the riding position.

Murf2
You don't say..........

Is finding those Uly parts like locating unicorn blood?

This prospect excites me!

Are there any pics you've got? What's it drop them, 2"?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

Then found this one.....

Test rode it and an XR1200. I'm still researching ways to lower the foot pegs. Maybe Uly foot peg / rear rails will mount up.......

find a machine shop.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:

Then found this one.....

If that thing were closer to me you and I would be in a race to snatch it up if you haven't already I really want a white '08 to reside in the stable with this one

I have halfassed thoughts of hanging hard bags on this thing to make a UlyTT out of it but also want an '08 just cause.

Quote:

I had an 09 XB9 (which was stolen) and test road an STT that had the aftermarket drop pegs. I'm 6'1 and continually felt like I was kissing my knees.
I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam so I know a little about being cramped on a bike. If your knees are still in decent shape its not so bad. Plus with only about 140mi till the fuel light comes on it's not like you'd be logging serious seat time, unless you're just bombing around town on it.

The Uly pegs should be pretty easy to come by, check with Al at American Sportbike I'm willing to bet he's got them in stock and ready to ship.

If you haven't already go get that thing and enjoy.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #26
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,197
[QUOTE=Tom S;18501538]warrantee. When they went to pull the stator & clutch they broke the trans main shaft. WTF? Glad it wasn’t me doing the work. I do my own work so if it wasn’t for the fact that it was still under warrantee a dealer wouldn’t be touching it.QUOTE]

The main shaft nut is left hand threads. Guess those guys never took lug nuts off an old Dodge Dart.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
The main shaft nut is left hand threads. Guess those guys never took lug nuts off an old Dodge Dart.
I know the main shaft trans nut has left hand threads & the HD shop should know that too. They shouldn’t need any experience with old MoPar lug nuts.
My guess is that they had their air impact wrench cranked up to about 1000+ foot pounds & pulled the crank nut & didn’t switch it to right hand rotation before they hit the trans nut. Even then I’m surprised that shaft broke. Clean straight across break.
They wouldn’t admit to it but I never did ask them directly since I figured they wouldn’t anyway.
Come to think of I think I did suggest that to the ‘Service Writer’ but didn’t push it, no point. Didn’t care for that guy in the least. He didn’t seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.
You should have heard his explanation about why the front brakes on the Ulys were pulsating.
They were changing those front disks out right & left under warrantee when all they needed were some after market pads. Wouldn’t let them touch mine.

I was not too keen about having my low mile engine completely dissembled & put back together by someone other than me. Just more chances for something not being done right. All seems to be ok though.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,452
I have 10K miles on my 2008 SuperTT and think it is one of the best Buells ever made. I adapted a ULY fly screen and windshield to it for long rides and it made an enormous difference in the bikes comfort. The screen installs in a few minutes, so I only use it on long trips. I like the dorky bits (number plates, beak fender and solo seat) that make it a TT. They are a rare bike, low production numbers compared to the other Buells.

I love my 2001 S3, its very different from the TT, much more roomy, great wind protection and can carry a passenger and luggage. It sports a Penske shock, and RaceTech fork kit. I think my crank seal is leaking a bit and pressurizing the transmission case, so I'll have to fix that at some point. I almost replaced it with a MotoGuzzi, but after test riding a new Griso I felt the S3 felt more raw and exciting - which I like.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
I am a fan of the older M2 Cyclone Buell. But they are all fun bikes. I was working at an HD/Buell dealer when Buell died and was PISSED because I always thought I'd end up getting one. I worked in parts and saw things get really hard to get. Then I retired last August and moved to Hawaii. The dealership I worked at, Destination HD in Tacoma, Wa. signed some agreement to keep working on Buells. They may be able to help get parts and ship them to you. Many dealers did not sign this agreement I understand. You could call Destination and ask for Dave Rider in parts. He had a Uly, and if anyone can get you a part he can. Dave is maybe 6'6" and made that Uly look small. He's a good man and helpful too. Tell him Jon from the parts window sent ya.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
In 2001 I test rode both the S1 and the M1 Buell's at a race track. I found the S1 a bit too hard edge for me both in comfort and performance. I found the Cyclone a bit more user friendly and would be easier to live with. I liked it that much I bought one as my 'second' bike. I like it because it's raw and has a home engineered feel to it. You fire it up and it sits there rumbling and shaking away and slowly walks along the driveway by itself on the side stand. It's a hoot to ride and handles like nothing else. Everytime I step off it it's like "Faaaark" what a rush that was. They're not fast but the torque is awsome and I love pulling away with the front wheell gliding 6 inches above the bitumen. Mine came with the factory thunder heads, high lift cams and shaved flywheels and runs nothing like any Sportster engine I've ridden. I've done about 45,000 klm's on mine and it hasn't missed a beat. But they will eat your drivers license.

My only problem being 6'2" I couldn't get used to the seating position as it felt like was on top of the bike and felt like going over the bars every time I braked. I cut the seat down to sit in it more and raised the bars, but now my legs feel cramped. Getting higher bars with the right bend has been an issue, and getting bar risers has been as well due to the angled bar clamp. I bought some 'Buell friendly' Rok risers but the only fit later Buells.