KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
I Have a BMW 1200, but rather than trade, I just bought the KTM 990 as well

They are 2 different bikes.

Pros and cons:

BMW

Pros:
comfortable, lots of power, nice to have extras like TPS, fuel range indicator, ESA, long service interval, uses standard 20W-50 oil, mot synthetics, so its much cheaper to service., good brakes and ABS. Flat power curve means less shifting.

cons
a bitch in sand and loose stuff, rattles go right through your body on corrugation, due to road bias suspension. kak clunky gear box.

Summary. A good all around bike but not best at anything. If you only have one bike and do tar, pillion, and good quality gravel, this is the bike. The dakar has none of the pros of the 1200, and some of the same cons. The dakar is under powered and I dont see how its any better than a KLR.

KTM
Pros

Shit eating grin when you ride, compartment to shelter your cell phone and camera in the rain, fantastic suspension, eats up gravel and head shakes, low centre of gravity and feels so much lighter than it really is. Great on highway as well.

cons
No gear indicator so you always working and concentrating, no fuel gauge so off road you have no idea the range you have left, expensive and frequent services. Tubed tyres means much more work for punctures and carrying more kit like a compressor (or a pum), tubes, tyre levers, valve puller. On long trips need to carry chain lube as well and a brush. Much louder and windier so on tar you need earplugs due to wind noise. Also vibrations on your hands on long trips.

Summary

A real wow factor bike to ride, whose joy is worth all of its cons. Im in love

KradmelderSA screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 05:02 AM
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #17
Lobster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
It's the exact same bike I have...farkles and all.

No one can tell you in writing which one is best for you. Ride both and then decide. It'll be easy at that point.

Good luck.
Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #18
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I had a BMW 650 XChallange. Like it a lot, not too much fun on the tar.

Now got a 990 S (with 32" inseam). Like it much more and dont regret it a bit.

Would not go back, tho I would like to have both at the same time....
Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,181
I say, if it feels good, do it. But, I say that about A LOT of things
2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure (SOLD!) | 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
manybike OP
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 318
Thanks for all the replies

I still have to try and get the KTM's service history. Sadly the bike is on consignment by the PO's wife due he passed away.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the 950 anymore service intensive than BMW's?
After a lot of reading it seems the biggest issues for the KTM's were fuel and water pumps. Valve checks are about every 8k miles which is pretty much what most Beemers require.

From all your experiences are the valves often out of spec with every check?

I have read where there is a good fuel pump fix for about $100.00, I also looked at the coolant reservoir on the bike and it appeared to be low which may indicate a water pump issue, still have to check it out.

Anyway..I have ridden a Dakar so I know what they are like, now I just have to ride the 950....which will probably force me to buy it!!!

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
Anyway..I have ridden a Dakar so I know what they are like, now I just have to ride the 950....which will probably force me to buy it!!!
Yep... once you ride it, you'll probably buy it.

Don't be overly-concerned about "service intervals"... just update your tool kit, scan the Orange Crush section regularly, bookmark The HOW, read Geek's new thread, Welcome new 9x0 owners! Things you need to know about your new bike..., ask your questions here, and mostly...

HAVE FUN ON IT.
2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure (SOLD!) | 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #22
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
After a lot of reading it seems the biggest issues for the KTM's were fuel and water pumps. Valve checks are about every 8k miles which is pretty much what most Beemers require.
The valve checks are very labor intensive compared to an Oilhead BMW. You have to remove the fuel tanks, carbs and air box just to get to the valve covers. The KTM is a shim under bucket design that requires removal of the cams to adjust the valves. Oil changes take a little longer as well. To me the high maintenance factor is worth it for the high fun factor of riding the 950. My wife asks "Are you working on your KTM tonight?"
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Just thought I would add that I am considering jumping down from my 950 to a 690 (or even abandon ktm for a husky 630). Size is daunting to me too as I am taller than you, but I also am no hulk hogan and pretty newbish in the dirt. I love the big girl, but her smaller sister seems easier to slap around ;]
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies

From all your experiences are the valves often out of spec with every check?

I have read where there is a good fuel pump fix for about $100.00, I also looked at the coolant reservoir on the bike and it appeared to be low which may indicate a water pump issue, still have to check it out.

+2 on "go test ride it"

Valve check is a labour intensive in terms of taking parts off the bike to get to the cylinder heads. It is very straight forward job though. Tanks off, airbox and carbs up and zip tie to the handle bar, and there are the cylinder heads. see: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Garage/Valves/cpmodem_method/valve_adjust.html

Most of the times valves are in spec based on my own bike and others I seen. I see them go off spec every 15000km or so.

Water pump was a bigger issue in the past. KTM has upgraded the shaft and I think the seal. This is still the weakest point of the bike but not a deal breaker by any means. My bike has 45000km and PO replaced the shaft and seal as precaution when it had 17000km. I never had a problem. I carry parts when I travel. There are several points you can spot the leak. Waving oil filter, muddy inside clutch cover and coolant lose.

Fuel pump for 950 usually goes south around 30000 to 50000km range. There are several solutions developed and tested by many here and are reliable (often cheaper than stock pump! i.e. Facet pump and filter will cost you $65) see : Fuel Pump Options on www.ktm950.info

Go for a test ride.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
elias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I remember the first time i sat on the 950, The best feeling i ve ever had!!!!! Like all say it made me buy it.

The main thing for me is which one is more desireable, Ok you might pay some dollars more on fuel or pumps but.... it will make you feel 15 years younger. It is more FUN!!!! over.

If you want less fun, so you can pay 20 dollars less fuel on a trip then take the 650.

We are talking about one of the best motorcycles ever made (the 950 i mean).

What answers did you expect in the orange crush?

Get on it and you will get your answers. Good luck!
elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
manybike OP
Omnipresent

Just talked to the dealer, he is trying to get maintenance records (the bike was not purchased at their shop)
Anyway...it is an 05 not a 06.
Is there any significant differences between the two years? I have also read about there being an 05.5?

The bike has 30k km (about 18k miles), not big miles for a 05 bike, (My 1150 that I just sold had 66k miles...just broken in!). Shows no signs of hard use....no battle scars at all...not even a little scratch, I think the miles were mostly on pavement.

Just as an aside, I did also look at a low mileage 08 Uly, I have ridden them and they are actually pretty neat bike, however, parts and resale are a bit of a worry....also does not have the outright lust appeal the 950 has (at least for me)

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Here's something to look at:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/To...-20/?id=121343
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
manybike OP
Omnipresent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Just thought I would add that I am considering jumping down from my 950 to a 690 (or even abandon ktm for a husky 630). Size is daunting to me too as I am taller than you, but I also am no hulk hogan and pretty newbish in the dirt. I love the big girl, but her smaller sister seems easier to slap around ;]
That is kind of what I had planned initially, now I'm waffling.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
I know...you are all probably tired of hearing from us noobs..but here goes.

Just sold my 04 1150 GSA, had my heart set on a 650 Dakar...just wanted something lighter and smaller.
Then...I made a big mistake...stopped in at the KTM dealer after work and there it was...a used 06 950 Adventure with cases, Akro pipes, tank bag, corbin seat...not a scratch on it.
Just a beautiful looking bike in my opinion.

Pros
I'm in lust

Cons
I was seeking a simple and light thumper, a change from my tanker GSA
The 950 is just a little too tall..I would like about 1 1/2 inches lower..can be done..no biggie.
I have read many threads here but I still know bugger all about KTM's...this was not on my radar...it is now!
Must improve windshield...looking at Aeroflow or madstad or combination of the two...I just hate buffeting and like to ride visor up.

Soooo...

Used to own a Ducati Multistrada 1000DS so I know what quirky is all about (great bike by the way)

I do mostly highway with a bit of back road...occasionally take the wife on day rides. Want to do a bit more off road but I always felt the GSA was just too damn big. I am 5' 9" with a 32 inch inseam...158 lbs.. Hulk Hogan I am not. I know the Dakars have a high seat height but they are also considerably lighter.

But hell...that 950 is tempting! It's that almost black colour with the orange KTM letters and....shit...just looks, sounds and feels great sitting on it.
Dakar or Adventure...aaaargh..what to do?

Feed back...flames...opinions
Probably not what you would like to hear, but for that type of riding, I would keep my GSA and fit standard GS shocks. Been there done that. Apart from the looks department (tall always look cool) the GSA is an exercise in futility compared to the lower model. Too heavy to be so tall and a lot less flickable and manageable than the lower model.

However that's past since its gone. Between the 950 and the dakar, 950 all the way. If it is the tall model you are talking about, just lower the suspension. It can be done at a relatively small cost, or you can swap it for the low suspension with a member of the forum. You will have plenty offers!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
manybike OP
Omnipresent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Probably not what you would like to hear, but for that type of riding, I would keep my GSA and fit standard GS shocks. Been there done that. Apart from the looks department (tall always look cool) the GSA is an exercise in futility compared to the lower model. Too heavy to be so tall and a lot less flickable and manageable than the lower model.

However that's past since its gone. Between the 950 and the dakar, 950 all the way. If it is the tall model you are talking about, just lower the suspension. It can be done at a relatively small cost, or you can swap it for the low suspension with a member of the forum. You will have plenty offers!
That is exactly what I did to my GSA, I put in regular GS shocks and it worked very well. Every couple of years no matter how much I like my ride I always get the urge to try something different. I find it is cheaper to try different bikes as opposed to different wives!! :)

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X