Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #151
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
how about a nice cf rally screen with integrated mountings for gps and other electronic tat
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #152
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
how about a nice cf rally screen with integrated mountings for gps and other electronic tat
I don't particular like a big rally screen...... But I do know several that does like them......I think I will stick to the smaller CF faring on it right now..... At some point there will be a bigger GPS installed....when those units becomes available.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #153
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediRrakaD View Post
Great final result!
Nice on the s.
Thanks for sharing carbon secrets with the masses.
S.
Absolutely....... Thanks.

Erling
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #154
jackass dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
same thing as every body else ,great work ,a pleasure to watch ,turned out really nice ,.i might have a go at some thing in carbon fibre,done a bit of work before with it ,for a surf board maker (in england beleive it or not) .
would be nice if we had the same weather as you have over there ,nothing would cure here without a heater.!!!!!!
jackass dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #155
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass dave View Post
same thing as every body else ,great work ,a pleasure to watch ,turned out really nice ,.i might have a go at some thing in carbon fibre,done a bit of work before with it ,for a surf board maker (in england beleive it or not) .
would be nice if we had the same weather as you have over there ,nothing would cure here without a heater.!!!!!!
Thanks..... I remember the layup days in Denmark...... brrrrrr.... as you correctly stated....heater needed fochure..... There are so many excotic epoxys available......and they have come a looooong way.... even in the last 10 years..... even 5 years.... Like one of my stable system.. ( not mine of course...but I stock it all the time) is the Polymer composites 1618...... it really is a gift to us laminerlayupgnomes.... is almost as thin as polyester..... dries crystal clear.... has great uv properties..... and cures at about 25 deg. C.....

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 03:01 PM
Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #156
jackass dave
Adventurer

cures at 25 c ,there temperatures we can only dream of in england,its been raining for nearly 5-6 weeks solid ,parts of the country are flooded
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #157
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
cures at 25 c ,there temperatures we can only dream of in england,its been raining for nearly 5-6 weeks solid ,parts of the country are flooded
I feel your pain...... as I now live in the desert...I would gladly take your rain away...... yeppers.... It is really hard unless you get to the 25 deg......When/if you try...... you can build a 1 by 1 by 1 meter box of any kind of ply wood....or so.... set your project in it with the opening sideways.......and just point an infrared heater into the box.....on low... you will be ok.... When I did the luggage boxes, and had to cure a big piece.... that's how I did it...... Flood ..... That's a bummer... Hope all soon returns to normal....

Erling
Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #158
jackass dave
Adventurer

i think ill make that 1 x 1 box and get inside myself if it gets any colder
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #159
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i think ill make that 1 x 1 box and get inside myself if it gets any colder
Ha-ha......

Erling
Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #160
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sheeesh... all that hard work and you still have that plate light extension on??
PLEASE remove so ALL can see the awesome work from every angle!

I know, my exhaust... it's sub par.

Yours, on the other hand, is a true piece of art!

S.
Better now??????

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792289

Erling
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #161
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 673
I will sleep much better now!
Project complete!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #162
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I will sleep much better now!
Project complete!
Ha-ha..... I do credit you for this though..... If it was not for your keen observation...... who knows how long it would have taken.....

Erling
Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #163
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok....So a word on the metal/Carbon compatibility..... I knew that the thermal expansion coefficient of the Stainless and Carbon fiber was far apart. I have bonded many alloy's over time....and it is really trick to succeed IF you are taking the laminate and heating it over...say....100 deg.C. over ambient lam. temp. So in short.... you can bond any alloy with Carbon fiber....... add 200 deg.C. to the mix....not so much. It is really simple... Stainless's thermal expansion coefficient is about 4 times greater than Carbon fiber..... You do the math...... they will split in the heat. That said.... Recall the first pipe for the inlet that was made from tightly wrapped Carbon fiber tape around the mid pipe.....??? If I had left it like suck.... It would have split over time with the continuing expansion of the mid pipe. So I worked it with sand paper..... to achieve 0.25 mm. larger diameter outer carbon fiber pipe fit...over the mid pipe. This way it fits and can be moved a little bit while cold.... But as soon as you leave the block....it is tight..... and after a long ride..... Rock solid......and the 0.25 mm. gap is gone....only to again appear a while after shut down...... Works perfect...... I also is testing this...as so not to need to bond on a spring hanger pulling in the muffler towards the mid pipe. Coupled with the very strong hanger strip...... after several heat cycles........ I must say I guessed right..... Works awesome.....

Erling
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #164
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

After about a hundred miles.... all is well..... There is the smell of the packing after shut down.....but it is getting less and less pronounced. Bike behaves normal.... No change in dead spots....etc. Sound is fantastic, and all the Ferrari Italian snappy sound is gone....which I treasure...but I recognize that lots of riders like... Just not me. In a week or so.. I will take it off, and inspect the internals, just to make sure all is well, as I have measures 375 deg.F. in the exit pipe......without any signs of heat stress....
Until then..

Erling
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #165
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Eh? Captain.... Iceberg ahead....

So... as with any project you do from scratch.... you first do a short assessment periodically..... then, after in this case....a little over 100 miles....an in depth look, just to make sure all is well. Well.... as is not well.... I decided to remove the muffler and have a look at any signs of heat stress......and I found some. Apparently I was/is clueless as to how hot the gasses of the Cat on the 8GS is. The epoxy I used here is good for up to about 500 deg..... which is about as good as the industry serves... It'l go a little higher as long as it is not under a load..... but you are in iceberg filled water. As with any project I do... I do not bail on you fine folks when I make something that did not work.... I'm way over that point, and would much rather....as usual....share this. Remember this fine piece.....

Well.... Turns out that the gasses are far greater than the perhaps 550 deg F. Sort of like the space shuttle disintegrating on re entry....when hot gasses find a way.... then mayhem begins... Same pipe topside...

Bottom side...

Clearly hot.....and I mean very hot gasses had found a way and created a hot spot, that slowly ate the little CF lip, and then began slowly disintegrating the pipe....
The blued core also indicated that this machine runs veeeerrryyyy hot...perhaps in turn due to the lean mixture and the CAT....

It was my own fault..really... as I was trying to make it all from CF....... and would have worked...perhaps on other than this Bavarian nuclear furnace...
So ...onward with the fix...... It really is simple, and will work fine.... I added a 1 1/2 inch SS pipe to the front of the core. It was actually a bit bigger, and had to be cut and welded to fit....

This will ensure good fit....and keep the hot gasses from diverting. On the mid pipe.... note that the mid pipe is protruding about 1/2 inch into the core, which will be stuffed on the out side with the glass packing....

The inlet was then enlarged to fit the bigger pipe...... and tomorrow it will be re-packed, and installed....

Until then.....

Erling