Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
I guess some of you were born 80 years old. So, I'll take that as a compliment. For the first time I actually 'get' why HD sells so many two-wheel station wagons: they go to the vast majority who actually fear motorcycles so can pretend they have one when all the while they're doing exactly what their mommy and daddy would approve of. I assume this guys is going to get exactly what he wants, after all, he isn't asking. Someone who thinks he's his mommy, is.
Lol don't let a post on an internet forum hurt your feelings. You gave bad advice, it happens.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #32
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
The biggest issue facing new riders, imho, is target fixation. If you have a Ducati torque-monster, I'd just say the potential for target-fixation will arrive quicker than a new rider can be expected to deal with.

For a mature adult I think 500cc-650cc is plenty for a first bike. In fact I think 650cc-750cc is all you ever 'need'. Cornering, suspension, grip, throttle; all these are best learnt on a so-called small bike.

After that it's just personal preference.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:15 PM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #33
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
The mantra that "new rider, small bike" is completely arbitrary.
Nevertheless it has been arbitrarily adopted by every developed country in the world with the sole exception of USA. Everywhere else new riders are forced to start on 'small bikes', but perhaps American teenagers have much higher level of self-control and American riders in general have a much greater affinity with motorcycles than Spaniards, Italians or Australians? Hmm... you certainly couldn't tell by their results in MotoGP or WSBK, or by any statistics related to road accidents.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
I guess some of you were born 80 years old. So, I'll take that as a compliment. For the first time I actually 'get' why HD sells so many two-wheel station wagons: they go to the vast majority who actually fear motorcycles so can pretend they have one when all the while they're doing exactly what their mommy and daddy would approve of. I assume this guys is going to get exactly what he wants, after all, he isn't asking. Someone who thinks he's his mommy, is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwTt4_aJAg

skip to around 48 seconds, not very station wagony, and thats me riding. i do feel the same as you as regards the big ass harley cruisers.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #35
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal View Post
If he's still set on a Monster, I'd point him to a used 620. They can be found for $3,000 just about anywhere and, despite what some think, are quite reliable. Not too much power for a beginner, but enough to grow into as his skills progress. Great online community for maintenance and how-to questions, too.
Excellent plan. Suggest his wife buy him a good one of these. Or the 750.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #36
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Meh, its all about your friend and what motorcycling means for him, even if he is a complete beginner.

Without any background in riding, he doesn't have a point of reference on what it is to actually be riding a bike and all the small nuances between different bikes, different displacements, weights, sitting position, etc.

So of course the visuals and aesthetics of a bike would easily win over, since its the most immediate experience of the bike, before you even sit on it.

What type of riding is he expecting to do for himself?
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #37
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
But all the quirky reliability problems most Duc's have may be some discouragement for a rookie.
First of all this statement is pure bullshit. Secondly, I don't think it's a good starter bike because it would be a shame for the typical noobie thing of dropping the bike off the kick stand or wallowing around a parking lot. Lastly, this bike may not be nearly as powerful as a GSX-R but it has a conciderably more touchy throttle and low end power than a GSX-R and that goes terribly with sandy parking lots or intersections. It has near superbike class brakes which are scary for a noob and it wheelies very easily in the first two gears and even third if your trying. In my opinion this is a horrable first bike.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #38
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra54 View Post
First of all this statement is pure bullshit. Secondly, I don't think it's a good starter bike because it would be a shame for the typical noobie thing of dropping the bike off the kick stand or wallowing around a parking lot. Lastly, this bike may not be nearly as powerful as a GSX-R but it has a conciderably more touchy throttle and low end power than a GSX-R and that goes terribly with sandy parking lots or intersections. It has near superbike class brakes which are scary for a noob and it wheelies very easily in the first two gears and even third if your trying. In my opinion this is a horrable first bike.
Fuck! Sounds perfect!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 436
i am surprised this thread is still going.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #40
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
With the limited steering lock, heavy clutch and touchy throttle he'll drop a Monster in his driveway, parking, doing a u-turn etc. for sure. And corners on a tight road can come up real quick if you're winding on in the mid-range on a big twin, nor ideal for a beginner. A Suzuki 650 would be a great first bike, that motor is a classic. But, all you can do is tell/warn him, the rest is up to your friend.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #41
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
While the M1100 isn't ideal, its really not all that bad. Its not a fast bike, has a pretty linear power curve, fairly neutral ergonomics that are good for control, is compact, light, easy to control, etc. Its a much better first bike than a 600cc supersport (and considerably slower) and it seems every fool in the country thinks a supersport is the way to start. Displacement isn't really the deciding factor, don't know why everyone says "600-750" and similar nonsense. You really think a GSXR750, any 600cc supersport or a 749 will be easier to ride than the big lazy desmo-powered m1100? Keeping a peaky 120hp 600cc four under control is a lot more difficult than a low and slow revving 90hp long-stroke twin.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #42
tlartist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Find some accident pictures on the internet to share. Road rash and such.

Ask him what counter steering is. Try to demonstrate his lack of knowledge.

Get his wife involved to convince him to take the course.

Pretty scary with a new rider on that size of a bike.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #43
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post
i am surprised this thread is still going.
Yeah... wonder why!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #44
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Eh point him at a 620 or 750 or 695/796. My first street bike was Monster 750. It doesn't weight much more than the ever so popular Ninja 250 or 500 and especially not with me on it. Had about the same power as well. Dead reliable and very simple to work on.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #45
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Tell him to buy it. He'll scare the crap out of himself and it will come up for sale cheap soon afterwards. Hopefully, if it's not too badly damaged, you can talk him into letting you advertise it here, and some inmate will get a great deal.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote