Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #76
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Quoted only to show you for what you are.

quoted to only show you for what you are
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #77
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
I am not your research assistant. A claim was made. I countered the claim as a myth. If you would like to prove the claim then have at it... If you believe: a new rider starting out he is all but guaranteed to drop his new motorcycle on it's side, probably more than once.

Then back it up. It is simply NOT true for most people.

Me on the other hand... The last new bike I bought I kicked over on its side before I even rode it just to get it over with.

edited to take the edge off.

Were you dropped on your head when you were 8? It seems your mind stopped growing around that time in your life.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #78
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
The laws in most European countries will not allow anybody to start riding on a powerful motorcycle at least for a year after they get their license.
Yeah, that's why all my Italian friends admit to paying-off the testers when the time comes to get their car license because the tests are ridiculously tough. Besides, when's the last time you drove in Sicily? I have about eight friends there who ride powerful bikes, but only one has a proper motorcycle endorsement because no one gives a shit. I'm sure it's better in countries where there are more blondes.

Get the bike you want and don't ride like an idiot. If you ride like an idiot a Vespa will kill you.

scrannel screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 08:00 PM
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #79
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Were you dropped on your head when you were 8? It seems your mind stopped growing around that time in your life.

Apparently you were. Here let me help you out a little.

Go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forum...daysprune=&f=9

You will fit right in.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #80
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Yeah, that's why all my Italian friends admit to paying-off the testers when the time comes to get their car license because the tests are ridiculously tough. Besides, when's the last time you drove in Sicily? I have about eight friends there who ride powerful bikes, but only one has a proper motorcycle endorsement because no one gives a shit. I'm sure it's better in countries where there are more blondes.

Get the bike you want and don't ride like an idiot. If you ride like an idiot a Vespa will kill you.
Some of your friends might be the exception to the rule but generally Italian riders and drivers are very good and get along very well. There are a few of them on Moto GP, too.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #81
jesse v OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Well, if anybody is interested in an update... After many weeks of me boasting about how much fun motorcycling is, especially with my recent trip to the Black Hills (see the report in Day Trippin'), my buddy is potentially going to go with an '01 SV650 that his co-worker is selling. Apparently the thrill of motorcycling is finally overtaking the image! hahaha. I'm gonna help him look at it (read: test drive it!) tomorrow. If it's good, I hope he goes with it and signs up for the BRC.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #82
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,291
You can't beat a pre-gen SV650 for value/performance.. having owned pre-gen, FI and Gladius... carb-ed SVs are the best value.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #83
KiLeR06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Thoughts?

I think your statement "is a guaranteed crash." Speaks volumes about how little you know about riding.
I completely agree with this statement, a knowledgable and intelegent person can have any bike as a first bike and have it be a safe and enjoyable one. It's the person holding the bars that makes that determination, not the bike or the HP or the multitude of other factors.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #84
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR06 View Post
I completely agree with this statement, a knowledgable and intelegent person can have any bike as a first bike and have it be a safe and enjoyable one. It's the person holding the bars that makes that determination, not the bike or the HP or the multitude of other factors.
Maybe on a KLR,they don't have enough HP to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #85
Remmy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Nevertheless it has been arbitrarily adopted by every developed country in the world with the sole exception of USA. Everywhere else new riders are forced to start on 'small bikes'
"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety, deserves neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Speaking of crashes and new riders, let me throw my two cents having ridden on both sides of the pond for some time.
The laws in most European countries will not allow anybody to start riding on a powerful motorcycle at least for a year after they get their license.
Coming back to USA you can get a motorcycle permit (not even a license as long as you don't carry a passenger) and walk into a dealer and buy a busa or whatever suits your taste as the most cool looking and bad ass and ride into sunset. Getting a license here in the USA be it car or motorcycle is a joke.
Again, may the words of Benjamin Franklin be allowed to reverberate in the mind:

"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety, deserves neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
The cc's of a motorcycle do not dictate if it is going to crash or not. Please tell us from your vast experience why you feel a right to force an adult to purchase and ride a bike of your choosing and not his own.

DAKEZ, Dittos.

"It is not only his right, but his duty... to find the verdict according to his own best understanding, judgment and conscience..." -John Adams

I beseech all, deprive us not of our freedom!
Remmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #86
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
Well, if anybody is interested in an update... After many weeks of me boasting about how much fun motorcycling is, especially with my recent trip to the Black Hills (see the report in Day Trippin'), my buddy is potentially going to go with an '01 SV650 that his co-worker is selling. Apparently the thrill of motorcycling is finally overtaking the image! hahaha. I'm gonna help him look at it (read: test drive it!) tomorrow. If it's good, I hope he goes with it and signs up for the BRC.
Cool.

But, I agree with Dakez. You're not his mama. It's his decision.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #87
jesse v OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Cool.

But, I agree with Dakez. You're not his mama. It's his decision.
True. And he did get the SV650. We had a little maintenance pow-wow at my place yesterday (it hadn't been ridden in 1.5 years) so that was a good time.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #88
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
True. And he did get the SV650. We had a little maintenance pow-wow at my place yesterday (it hadn't been ridden in 1.5 years) so that was a good time.
Maintenance help is a solid favor he'll come to appreciate. Most new riders have to learn bikes aren't like their cage appliance, and it's good he has you there to help him out.

No bad habits started with regard to maintenance is a huge benefit for a new rider.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #89
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
A new rider can get killed on 400cc single if he's a idiot. The Monster is far from being a deathtrap, and I don't see anything wrong with the guy buying what he wants if he can afford it. I would strongly suggest taking all the MSF courses, and enjoying the Monster.

It sounds to me like the OP doesn't like the idea of his buddy having a much nicer bike than his

I get this. I'm a mediocre guitar player at best, but I've got some really beautiful instruments, and I know it drives some of my buddies who are much better players crazy!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #90
Will Allen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I waited until I was 34 to get my license or ever swing my leg over a motorcycle. My first bike was an '81 Honda CM400T that I rode for about 3 weeks before picking up a Suzuki M109R, followed by a ZX14, followed by a Hayabusa...all within the first year. The shear mass and/or power of all of those bikes forced me to be mindful every second I spent in the saddle. Ironically, my current ride is an '81 CB650 with a whopping 44hp and I am far more of a hooligan on that than I have been on any of the high-hp bikes I have own. Of course, I've never even tried to wheelie, so maybe I'm in the minority, but as others have said, anyone can ride almost any bike ( physical limitations, aside ) in a safe manner, but you've got to be honest with yourself about how well you'll be able to stick to that philosophy.

1981 Honda CB650 Custom (sold)
1994 Honda VFR (sold)
Will Allen is offline   Reply With Quote