User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 189
Cheap KLR top box

Just thought I would share with all of you my little project for the day.

I wanted a cheap top box for my klr650. I looked at the Walmart Action Packer option, but couldn't get over the tupperware look of it. After trying a few sporting goods stores and hardware stores I found just what I wanted at Harbor Freight. The price was right, and after applying a coupon for 20% off I only paid a little over 20$ for the box.

Here it is on the bike

I mounted it using four of the original mounting points on the rear rack. I drilled holes in the bottom of the box, and used slightly longer than stock bolts and some fender washers to bolt it down. To make it easy to remove without tools I welded large square nuts to the heads of the mounting bolts to make them easy to grasp.

Thusly:

For as cheap as the box was it seems pretty sturdy, and if it falls apart I shan't be out too much money. It has a removable place to store tools, and a few dividers I can move around as I see fit.

So there it is. My super cheap top box.
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
wldct69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Wow. I like it. I wanted something just like that. Thanks for the post
wldct69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,410
what I did!

I couldn't find the action packer at the normal places but ended up with what may be a good substitute,its called a Styleworks tough tote,I got it at walmart I chose the 10.5 gallon version,mounted it with 4 bolts to the rack as many others have done,its cheap,and works really well,looks very KLR'ish oh and I went to the dollar store and they had some thin weather stripping,I will post if it leaks as I plan on commuting through the winter.I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how to
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
p0diabl0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I couldn't find the action packer at the normal places but ended up with what may be a good substitute,its called a Styleworks tough tote,I got it at walmart I chose the 10.5 gallon version,mounted it with 4 bolts to the rack as many others have done,its cheap,and works really well,looks very KLR'ish oh and I went to the dollar store and they had some thin weather stripping,I will post if it leaks as I plan on commuting through the winter.I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how to
I had one of those on my KLR for a few days - the lid rattled like a mofo. Good luck with the weather stripping!.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
8lives
Runnin on wonder

So far so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I had one of those on my KLR for a few days - the lid rattled like a mofo. Good luck with the weather stripping!.
I have had mine on for about a month or so and so far no rattles,1rain storm and no leaks,it seems to be working but I am watching it closely.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
8lives
Runnin on wonder

So far so good

Well I just wanted to update if anyone is interested,the Tough tote has been great,stays put(4 bolts holding it to the rack)no leaks(I did add some weatherstrip I got at the dollartree,true KLR form I say!)it comes off easy and holds a ton of junk when Im commuting,has that"oh well it's a KLR"look to it,so there ya go folks,go cheap and go.

8lives screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 04:37 PM