ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Oddometer: 92
The Class 6 Files

I thought I would start a new thread for Class 6 roads. So here we go.

Difficulty Classification 1-6

6-Erzberg
5-Logging road with mud, rock, logs, steep grades, and thick brush.
4-Logging road with mud, rock,small logs and steep grades
3-Logging road with mud, and some rock
2-Logging Road
1-Gravel Road

Enjoyment Factor

6-Bikini's and free Beer
5-Awesome views and fun ride
4-Beat up with smile
3-Beat up with no smile
2-Broken bike
1-Broken bones

Length

Time

Cellphone reception

Local Refreshments

Potential loops

Big bike possible

So this is just a way to get started. Any thoughts or a better way, let'er rip
Old 04-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Landaff, NH Cobble Hill to S.Landaff.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1625986

Trail Head from Gale Chandler Rd.

An Example of rock section

Light Mud

Difficulty-3
Enjoyment-4.5
Length-5miles of actual class 6
Time-about an hour
Cellphone-spotty but there
Local refreshments- Brick Store
Potential loops-Foster Hill Rd, Orr Hill Rd, Rail Trail, and possibly Jericho Trail ( info coming soon)
Big Bike Possible? With skills

This is a nice track. A little short, but potential loops make it worth riding. It starts out real smooth, then a little bumpy. You will come to a field then mud, possibly deep gnarly mud. From here it is a mix of all things good. At one point you will come a big right that is S.Landaff Rd. Some more varied terrain then Wendy Hill Rd, which is dirt till it turns to tarmac on Hill Rd. The descrption is from Gale Chandler to the Bath wood covered bridge.

So there we go. Kinda what I had in mind.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,385
Laugh Great Idea!!!

How about posting map links and/or GPS coords too?

You could even post the whole route up on DualSportMaps.com. Crafty Coder, who runs the site, is an inmate here. Cool site for planning and sharing routes.

I like seeing what I'm getting into and that way, when I have to call the Mrs to come pick up the pieces (mine or the bikes ) she has a map .
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post

How about posting map links and/or GPS coords too?

You could even post the whole route up on DualSportMaps.com. Crafty Coder, who runs the site, is an inmate here. Cool site for planning and sharing routes.

I like seeing what I'm getting into and that way, when I have to call the Mrs to come pick up the pieces (mine or the bikes ) she has a map .
Hey NHBILL, I put a link for Trimble maps at the top. I am going to check out The DualSportMaps.com though. I use the GPS on my phone with Trimble software. The only problem is I live in the sticks and like this route it didn't upload the dozen photos that were on it.

SixtyAte screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 05:15 AM Reason: can't spell
SixtyAte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,651
Great Idea SixtyAte Subscribed!

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,385
SixtyAte... I'm no pro with Crafty's software but I can tell you that he has done an amazing job, both with the app and the website. Really responsive to questions and with support too.

I know that with DSM.com you can upload photos to the website and then pin them to the route. Basically the website is what pulls it all together. Route. waypoints, tracks, photos, the whole nine yards. Then you can access whatever from a PC or the phone app, you can even see where your friends are if they have enabled that feature. You can choose to share or not share depending on wether it's a work in progress or you just don't want to make it public. Lets you cache maps to use when you're out of cell coverage too. Only bad side is that it uses butt-ton of procesing power so it eats batteries at a pretty good clip. Pretty much have to have your phone plugged in to use it continuously.

Subscribed, by the way....
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
SixtyAte... I'm no pro with Crafty's software but I can tell you that he has done an amazing job, both with the app and the website. Really responsive to questions and with support too.

I know that with DSM.com you can upload photos to the website and then pin them to the route. Basically the website is what pulls it all together. Route. waypoints, tracks, photos, the whole nine yards. Then you can access whatever from a PC or the phone app, you can even see where your friends are if they have enabled that feature. You can choose to share or not share depending on wether it's a work in progress or you just don't want to make it public. Lets you cache maps to use when you're out of cell coverage too. Only bad side is that it uses butt-ton of procesing power so it eats batteries at a pretty good clip. Pretty much have to have your phone plugged in to use it continuously.

Subscribed, by the way....
Great heads up I will check it out. Trimble will let you pin pics to, but like that trip I had 12 pics and they would not upload. Nor will it properly cache or upload to the computer. So I'm on it and will be getting it on Friday.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Jericho Trail Rd to Merril Trail Rd

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1635282

The pictures are marked on the Trimble Map to there actual location.

Difficulty-3.5 (because of wet conditions, but usually a 3- )
Enjoyment-4.5
Time-about an hour
Potential loops-Foster Hill Rd, Orr Hill Rd, Rail Trail, Cobble Hill, and S.Landaff Rd.

Skip the Moses Clark/Hawthorn part. At least until I get the bottom of the trail cleaned up, as the skidder road is about 8inches deep of wet mud.
Jericho Trail Rd. starts out on a beat up logging road (very rutty). At the first marker on the map, and obvious trail to the right it turns back into a proper Class 6 trail. Once on the trail it is a little rocky, a little muddy ( a lot muddy today), but very enjoyable. On my little bike it was plenty of fun. On the map you will see a switch back where I went too both entrances of Merrill Mountain Rd. This is a pretty short track, but combined with Cobble Hill it woul be a nice couple of hours.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1635282

The pictures are marked on the Trimble Map to there actual location.

Difficulty-3.5 (because of wet conditions, but usually a 3- )
Enjoyment-4.5
Time-about an hour
Potential loops-Foster Hill Rd, Orr Hill Rd, Rail Trail, Cobble Hill, and S.Landaff Rd.

Skip the Moses Clark/Hawthorn part. At least until I get the bottom of the trail cleaned up, as the skidder road is about 8inches deep of wet mud.
Jericho Trail Rd. starts out on a beat up logging road (very rutty). At the first marker on the map, and obvious trail to the right it turns back into a proper Class 6 trail. Once on the trail it is a little rocky, a little muddy ( a lot muddy today), but very enjoyable. On my little bike it was plenty of fun. On the map you will see a switch back where I went too both entrances of Merrill Mountain Rd. This is a pretty short track, but combined with Cobble Hill it woul be a nice couple of hours.

Damn Sixty, that is some prime motorcycle habitat! A friend of mine is coming over to ride those trails with me this weekend. Are you going to be around?

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
Damn Sixty, that is some prime motorcycle habitat! A friend of mine is coming over to ride those trails with me this weekend. Are you going to be around?

Unfortunately I'm working 9-11 this weekend. However I knocked out most Class 6s this weekend, and will post a couple more tommorrow. So my suggested route is: Merrill Mountain Rd to Jericho Trail Rd, then jump on Cobble Hill to S. Landaff which has a junction that will bring you back up Orr Hill Trail Rd. ( maps for Orr will be up tomorrow).This will bring you back to Gale Chandler Rd, go left on Moses Clark then left on Foster Hill. That sounds like a lot but is only about 20 miles of dirt, and will only take a few hours. It is very wet right now which makes it more challenging, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Orr Hill was a little rough with me today, a mud hole almost ate my bike ( there are two that will eat your bike whole), and a slippery downhill plus mud covered stick yanked my bike out from under me and bent my gear shifter. All in all a blast, mud, rocks, creek crossings, mud, and oh yeah fresh moose tracks. Have a blast and we will catch up soon.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm working 9-11 this weekend. However I knocked out most Class 6s this weekend, and will post a couple more tommorrow. So my suggested route is: Merrill Mountain Rd to Jericho Trail Rd, then jump on Cobble Hill to S. Landaff which has a junction that will bring you back up Orr Hill Trail Rd. ( maps for Orr will be up tomorrow).This will bring you back to Gale Chandler Rd, go left on Moses Clark then left on Foster Hill. That sounds like a lot but is only about 20 miles of dirt, and will only take a few hours. It is very wet right now which makes it more challenging, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Orr Hill was a little rough with me today, a mud hole almost ate my bike ( there are two that will eat your bike whole), and a slippery downhill plus mud covered stick yanked my bike out from under me and bent my gear shifter. All in all a blast, mud, rocks, creek crossings, mud, and oh yeah fresh moose tracks. Have a blast and we will catch up soon.

Excellent! I'll follow those directions........uh well except for the slippery stick. Thanks a lot! Look forward to meeting you on the trail sometime soon.

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 08:53 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Orr Hill Trail Rd

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1637590

Description coming soon
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
What do you know of this Trimble outdoors software and apps?

Great thread idea, wish I had something to contribute at this time
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
SixtyAte OP
Daily Dirt Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
What do you know of this Trimble outdoors software and apps?

Great thread idea, wish I had something to contribute at this time
I run it on my Droid X with Verizon. For $10 I have been happy with it. There have been some issues with some uploads and I can't upload directly to my computer, which is a problem for me because I live in the sticks. I basically have to drive fifteen miles to upload. I am probably going to try the Dual Sport app mentioned in this thread.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
JMD0261
n00b

Oddometer: 8
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690856

These are a few gpx files I added last year mostly moving south to north.
JMD0261 is offline   Reply With Quote