Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
I've got 3 of those bikes in my garage right now, Tenere, Strom (1K) and an 800GS. Sounds like this is just a Strom vs Tenere discussion though.

I have zero riding experience on the Triumph or 800 GS. The last off road group ride
I did had a both models with us. Rider or bike I don't know, but they never did
anything to impress me.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 439
I've been in a situation much similar to turbojet.

The F800GS wasn't a part of the equation, but maybe OP can find some answers in this thread.

Don T screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 11:18 AM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
I've got 3 of those bikes in my garage right now, Tenere, Strom (1K) and an 800GS. Sounds like this is just a Strom vs Tenere discussion though.
It's not, It's just that I didn't want to be talking out my arse about something I have never ridden.

Quote:
..... with the one exception so far being the headlights (which are awesome on the Strom). .
Agree. The Wee/Vee headlights are awesome. The S10 headlights aren't crap but not as awesome.

Don't know about the Glee headlights.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I have zero riding experience on the Triumph or 800 GS. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It's not, It's just that I didn't want to be talking out my arse about something I have never ridden.

I wasn't trying to single anybody out about leaving out the GS, I thought the OP was more interested in the comparison between these two, so I gave my thoughts on that also. If we want to bring in the GS, now that's a totally different beast.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
I'm sure the ST is an awesome bike.
The question I have is it $8000 better?

On the street how much better can it be than a Vstrom? I have ridden consecutive 1000 mile days on a strom, I really don't think the Tenere would have made it any easier. To me, that was all need from any bike, unless maybe the ST would have squeezed another 200 miles from my day and maybe a speeding ticket as well.
Offroad, neither the strom or the ST are dirt bikes. Yes you can ride down a muddy road and sling some mud on it. I have even done that. A 1000 miles of Dempster which is a graded road, where your tires are the more important choice than the bike.
Neither bike is easy to pick up when laid down so, really, if riding off road is your main thing, look at the 800cc models or the big Katooms. Your really going to put yourself in a very expensive repair bill situation if your intention is to trash this monster on unmaintained roads.

If riding on the street or packed roads is your thing, either bike will do it. It's really like asking whats a better car for a trip across the country, a Toyota corolla or a BMW. They will both get you there.

At the end of the day, if you have the cash to buy it and you want us to convince you to buy it, yes, go and buy a spanking new one with all the gear on it please.
I really want one to replace my strom, I'm just not sure about spending the $16K price tag for a decked out one is worth the price. I can wait for a couple of years for a used one.

Oh, I want to see some Tenere pics when you get it please, just like these :)

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
On a Southern Utah ride we had the exact model Strom I had, an 1150 GS and the Tenere. At one point I
traded with the Strom owner. My first impression was how little and low the Strom felt. The suspension
that I recalled being marginal but acceptable was now pitiful. I kept thinking "I can't believe I used to ride
one of these". Again, I enjoyed my Strom. It's just I was now spoiled. The Tenere is big and heavy. It does
an excellent job of hiding that weight.... well until you hit sand.

The Strom owner really liked the Tenere.

I'm not disagreeing with wheatwacker when he says "a Strom will go places that will surprise you".
People are always taking bikes places they may not be the best choice to take there. I'm just saying
a Tenere makes it way easier and you don't feel like it was a stupid idea to do it.
So I'm the Strom owner. In a flat out drag race, my Strom, with the Secondary Butterfly Valves removed, will walk away from the Tenere. Off-road, the Tenere is the champion. It has much more clearance, which is the main reason I don't take my Strom past gravel roads or well groomed ATV trails. In addition, the suspension on the Tenere smooths everything out. I have Gold Valves in my Strom which improved the ride over stock form, but it still isn't even close to the smooth ride off road that the Tenere has. I tested it both on washboard, ruts and rocks. Even though the bike is bigger, and heavier, it is so much easier to ride on moderately rough dirt roads.

Todd-Squad
Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
What if it was only a $4K difference? Or a $2K? At what point do you trade, or do you even want to trade?

I paid about 5K more for my Tenere than I did for my strom when it was new. Knowing now how much good use I got out of my strom, I'd have paid more for it.

Go ride one. Maybe you'll love it or not. I didn't want one until I test rode it and then I tried to talk myself out of it, because on paper it is so similar to the strom. If I didn't buy it, I'd have a fatter wallet, but I'd always WANT one. Regret is lousy, and the more I ride the Tenere the more it cements my decision. I'll never argue that bang for the buck it's better than a Strom.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
So I'm the Strom owner. In a flat out drag race, my Strom, with the Secondary Butterfly Valves removed, will walk away from the Tenere. Off-road, the Tenere is the champion. It has much more clearance, which is the main reason I don't take my Strom past gravel roads or well groomed ATV trails. In addition, the suspension on the Tenere smooths everything out. I have Gold Valves in my Strom which improved the ride over stock form, but it still isn't even close to the smooth ride off road that the Tenere has. I tested it both on washboard, ruts and rocks. Even though the bike is bigger, and heavier, it is so much easier to ride on moderately rough dirt roads.

Todd-Squad
If you modded the Strom, then the apples to apples would mod the Tenere. As mentioned, the ECU mod alone gives something like 15 more hp.

Desert Dave's prices must be at full retail. It's not that big a difference. As for dirty Tenere pix, visit the Tenere forum, or look at some of Pluric's photos here in ADV.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
I think your next bike should be a postie bike. Is the Strom really $8000.00 dollars better?

Quote:
I really want one to replace my strom, I'm just not sure about spending the $16K price tag for a decked out one is worth the price. I can wait for a couple of years for a used one.
A used one will be better value than a brand spanker. That's the way it goes, but you a still not getting the message.

A used S10 will do off road a lot easier than a used Strom. It won't change. But buying used is always going to be better value. Don't blame anyone for that.

This one should be fairly cheap and comes with a few mods...

Should handle the Dempster pretty well.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 09:49 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post

Desert Dave's prices must be at full retail. It's not that big a difference.

Not retail, but I was comparing a 2005 price on the Suzuki to a 2012 price on the Yamaha, so maybe a bit less of a spread as the zook has gone up, but still you get my point.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #26
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
I'll say I really enjoyed my 1000 Strom. For the money I don't see how you can beat it. A leaking
clutch slave cylinder (caused by Prudhoe Bay mud http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196720 ) was the only problem it ever had.
Did Gold Valve the forks to help with the harsh compression.

Coming home from that ride we did a 1,670 mile straight day (and night) so the bike was comfortable enough
for me to do just about any distance you could want. After Alaska I had kinda burned out on big D/S bikes
and the Strom had just been sittting in the garage as a loaner. My neighbor asked if I would sell it and I did.

A week later the Yamaha dealer I buy through called and said "We have one of those Teneres on the floor"
I had casually asked about one that spring. and the salesman made a note of it. Bought it that day.

Normally an FJR was my distance ride choice. I suddenly no longer was riding the FJR. Something about
the upright seating position and general comfort of the bike really appealed to me. I did miss the warp
drive acceleration of the FJR. My wife like the passenger space better too. So as a slab tourer it's great.

On a Southern Utah ride we had the exact model Strom I had, an 1150 GS and the Tenere. At one point I
traded with the Strom owner. My first impression was how little and low the Strom felt. The suspension
that I recalled being marginal but acceptable was now pitiful. I kept thinking "I can't believe I used to ride
one of these". Again, I enjoyed my Strom. It's just I was now spoiled. The Tenere is big and heavy. It does
an excellent job of hiding that weight.... well until you hit sand.

The Strom owner really liked the Tenere.

I'm not disagreeing with wheatwacker when he says "a Strom will go places that will surprise you".
People are always taking bikes places they may not be the best choice to take there. I'm just saying
a Tenere makes it way easier and you don't feel like it was a stupid idea to do it.

Anyway, here's a photo of the Strom trying to go throught the same mud hole the Tenere and GS just
went through. Plus consider that I had to stop, get my helmet off, get a camera out and still wait for
the Strom to show up to get the shot.

Hey wheatwacker, I guess I'm one of the .01%[click to show pic]

[click to show pic]

It looks like the S10 love has become a religion of sorts.

This pic here speaks volumes. Heavily loaded and smooth tires give way to a wicked swap on the Vstrom in soft slippery conditions like silt, mud etc. The bike needs knobbies just like every other bike, air properly it will plow through without a problem.
it is interesting that someone metioned the DL1000 can beat the S10 in a drag race. Any idea WHY Yamaha power restricted gears 1-3 on the US model?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post

Todd-Squad
It's true. It was my first ride on the less than 1,000 mile Tenere. I was doubled up with my wife.
Out on the flats we did some roll ons and Todd alone on the Strom pulled away.

The time we each were one up he didn't want to do roll ons because he feared for the high speed
stability of the Strom loaded.

I've since done the ECU reflash, He has the powercommander so is it still apples to apples?

I didn't buy a big D/S bike to win any drag races.

I still stand behind my opinion that after owning both bikes the Tenere is superior in several areas.
Price being one of them.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
It looks like the S10 love has become a religion of sorts.

This pic here speaks volumes. Heavily loaded and smooth tires give way to a wicked swap on the Vstrom in soft slippery conditions like silt, mud etc. The bike needs knobbies just like every other bike, air properly it will plow through without a problem.
it is interesting that someone metioned the DL1000 can beat the S10 in a drag race. Any idea WHY Yamaha power restricted gears 1-3 on the US model?
We all had similar tires. It really was a case of anyone could have gone down in that goo.

As far as the first three gear restictions the vote seems to be for some sort of emission standards.???

Why did Suzuki neuter 6th gear on the Strom?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #29
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
Looking at that picture and the tires that are on the bike, it's down to two thing's to get through that goo. Tires and luck. Was the rider experienced?, was he standing on the pegs? The road it's self is not that challenging to a properly shod bike. A Harley with proper knobbies would have gone through is where my KTM with street tires would have tracked and thrown me off.
I really want to ride with one some day. I have some awesome trails in the Mendocino forest I would love to test out the beast on. Same tires, same load and convince me to spend the asking price of $16K.
I did consider selling the Strom and the KTM 950 for one. Would that be a smart move?
KTM worth maybe.............. $7k,
V strom, maybe................. $5K

Still short $4K but have an awesome bike better than the V? better than the KTM?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Looking at that picture and the tires that are on the bike, it's down to two thing's to get through that goo. Tires and luck. Was the rider experienced?, was he standing on the pegs? The road it's self is not that challenging to a properly shod bike. A Harley with proper knobbies would have gone through is where my KTM with street tires would have tracked and thrown me off.
I really want to ride with one some day. I have some awesome trails in the Mendocino forest I would love to test out the beast on. Same tires, same load and convince me to spend the asking price of $16K.
I did consider selling the Strom and the KTM 950 for one. Would that be a smart move?
KTM worth maybe.............. $7k,
V strom, maybe................. $5K

Still short $4K but have an awesome bike better than the V? better than the KTM?
Better is always going to be subjective based on your expectations. Is bigger always better? To some it is, to others it's not. Is it better for the bike to handle on-road better than off? Some say yes, some say no. The latest edition of Motorcyclist (June 2012) has an article on the new KTM 990 Adventure Dakar Edition ans said "If the question is what's the best ride for conducting serious business in obscure corners of Planet Earth's 57.5 million square miles of terra firma, the answer starts with KTM."

I'll sit back now and watch the show...