Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #31
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 View Post
"If the question is what's the best ride for conducting serious business in obscure corners of Planet Earth's 57.5 million square miles of terra firma, the answer starts with KTM."

I'll sit back now and watch the show...
I'll agree with that. But some parts of the planet are devoid of fuel stops and have masses of straight tarmac. Then fuel economy and slabability come into it. The GSA is great where I live because you often have 450Km between fuel in the less populated regions. But then you also have 450Km between mechanics.

But the best thing about all these different bikes ATM is if you are willing to do the homework you can get closer to your personal requirements than you could two years ago once you wade through all the bullshit.

There are lots of different compromises going on and that is all good IMHO. There is no "Best Bike." in this class.

If I was doing a cross Australian off road tour I would be going minimilist rations and taking a 400 class thumper and avoid the slab, not the S10.

In normal years you don't even need at tent out there.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 View Post
Better is always going to be subjective based on your expectations. Is bigger always better? To some it is, to others it's not. Is it better for the bike to handle on-road better than off? Some say yes, some say no. The latest edition of Motorcyclist (June 2012) has an article on the new KTM 990 Adventure Dakar Edition ans said "If the question is what's the best ride for conducting serious business in obscure corners of Planet Earth's 57.5 million square miles of terra firma, the answer starts with KTM."

I'll sit back now and watch the show...
No show here. A KTM is like bringing a gun to a knife fight off road. They are very impressive.
After chasing a few I almost gave in and considered a 990 myself.

The idea of owning a bike that I could ride the shit out of, wash (optional) and do again
and again won over. I know the KTM is better, it's like the Tenere is better than the Strom
off road the KTM is that much better than the Tenere. As an all rounder I'll stick with the Tenere
because of it's street manors, roomy passenger space, shaft drive and of course it's a Yamaha.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Same tires, same load and convince me to spend the asking price of $16K.
I did consider selling the Strom and the KTM 950 for one. Would that be a smart move?
I don't think anybody is trying to sell you a bike here, it either works for you or it doesn't. There's nothing wrong with saying you just don't want one....but it sounds like you're trying really hard to convince yourself you don't want one

If you're lucky you'll hate it, that will save you a bunch of money. Trading two bikes for one is always risky, you have a pretty nice stable right there, might wish you hadn't. I bought my Tenere and three months later I realize I can let go of the Strom, my 800GS is staying put for right now.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #34
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
We all had similar tires. It really was a case of anyone could have gone down in that goo.

As far as the first three gear restictions the vote seems to be for some sort of emission standards.???

Why did Suzuki neuter 6th gear on the Strom?
The engine is too fast for the chassis. A 167 mph dl1000 sounds like a widowmaker to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
The engine is too fast for the chassis. A 167 mph dl1000 sounds like a widowmaker to me.
It was a pretty mild neuter. I think maybe 10%? I did the Ivans electrical upgrade that removed
the Suzuki leash. All I maybe really noticed was the overdrive light didn't work anymore.

I liked the tall 6th gear. At my altitude it couldn't pull it that well. I often left it in 5th.

The DL's speedo was as optimistic as my Tenere. I think by GPS it peaked at about 120ish.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #36
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Current S10 owner here.

I prefer my Tenere to my KLR when it comes to dirt. The Tenere is jaw droppingly good off road, and tinkering with all those TC settings is fun too. The suspension does a great job offroad. You can stand all day in the peg.

Also, Tenere's are really tight when new, and the throttle takes a little bit of getting used too. The bike gets much faster after it breaks in, trust me. And you will get more comfortable with the throttle settings and begin to really push the bike. Close gear ratios mean nothing when you learn the bikes rythum. I can understand not feeling at home when you first get on one, but you begin to learn the bike really fast, and then it becomes a blast. Again, once you get used to the contols, you won't want to go back; they are super smooth.

Cheap fittings? I don't know where you are getting that from. From what I have experienced so far with taking fairings off and on and doing oil changes and the like, nothing is cheap or shoddy on this bike. It was made to be taken apart and put back toghether again with ease.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #37
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
my $0.02

back in 2006, I bought a brand spank 2006 DL 1000, lots of mods were done to the bike(full luggage, crash bars, skid plate, stain tune pipes etc...etc..)
55 thou KM later, I really liked my v-strom but wished for: abs, tc, better stock suspension.

The bike was a pain to work on (im talking getting to the air filter/valves etc.. all plastics have to come off, radiator) on a positive note, the gear driven cams were a synch to work on.

I thought about a GS 1200 (too much money, reliability, dealer network)
KTM 950/990 (no shaft, maint. intesive)

I bought my tenere for $3000 more than my new v-strom cost me, and it is worth every penny.
The bike is safer and easier to ride on gravel, thanks to the tc/abs, the suspenion is very good, and the s.drive is great.
Maintenance is a doddle (hinged tank etc..etc..) valves are every 40,000 km.
I recently rode a 2012 v-strom 650, and it felt tiny, and cramped. Great motor, but again not comparing apples to apples here.

do I want my old v-strom back.. NO.

again, as the other sup T owners asked...where do you get the cheap fittings comment from?? The bike is well, and with the home mechanic in mind. Easy to maintain.
I plan to get a lot of miles out of mine, not selling anytime soon either. I currently have 10,000 km on mine in 4 months of riding

Greg the pole screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 12:42 PM Reason: im a bit retard!
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote