Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Halky OP
Σερ

Oddometer: 60
Bored and frustrated

Hey guys, so this is my story.

Less than a month passed since I got my first motorcycle. It's a kawasaki KLE500. And damn it, I'm already bored with it! The only time I actually had fun on that bike was the first time I rode it home, and after that trouble that the previous owners are to blame for kicked in. Engine kicking at low revs, weird behavior overall, and the verdict was a repair cost nearly half of what I got the bike for. Needless to say, I was pretty PO'd, but there's really nothing I can do since I'm in debt for the bike (I got it with payments).

Anyway, I of course got the bike to be serviced and decided to bring it up from a misused ride to pretty much mint. New tires, new chain and sprockets, filters, oil, EVERYTHING. But while that's under way (it's still sitting in the shop's garage), I find myself ogling pretty much any other bike around. Be it an Africa twin (oooh I'd love one of those!!!), a transalp, a KTM990, a Versys... Anything seems WAY more attractive than my (supposedly) precious first bike.

Now, to be fair, the bike's ok in all respects. Does everything I ask of it and is an honest little bike probably worth more than I give it credit for. I suspect that after the repairs it'll be even better, probably as new. But it still doesn't give me the want to ride it. I don't really look forward to riding it. I find it kinda slow (which it isn't THAT slow, really), I'm wishing for better brakes (the ones on it work just fine), I just want another bike. A faster, bigger, meaner, more comfortable bike that will bring back the joy of riding.

I don't get it. I shouldn't feel that way, I haven't been riding it for that long. It's still considered a new toy, considering the time I've had it for. It should still be fun! What the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I just be content with what I got and not want for bigger and faster bikes I can't really pay for anyway?

I've considered a trade, but who would trade a BIGGER bike for mine?

Help me appreciate my bike more, since I don't think there's any other option right now...
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halky View Post

Less than a month passed since I got my first motorcycle. It's a kawasaki KLE500. And damn it, I'm already bored with it! The only time I actually had fun on that bike was the first time I rode it home, and after that trouble that the previous owners are to blame for kicked in. Engine kicking at low revs, weird behavior overall, and the verdict was a repair cost nearly half of what I got the bike for. Needless to say, I was pretty PO'd, but there's really nothing I can do since I'm in debt for the bike (I got it with payments).

Anyway, I of course got the bike to be serviced and decided to bring it up from a misused ride to pretty much mint. New tires, new chain and sprockets, filters, oil, EVERYTHING. But while that's under way (it's still sitting in the shop's garage), I find myself ogling pretty much any other bike around. Be it an Africa twin (oooh I'd love one of those!!!), a transalp, a KTM990, a Versys... Anything seems WAY more attractive than my (supposedly) precious first bike.

Now, to be fair, the bike's ok in all respects. Does everything I ask of it and is an honest little bike probably worth more than I give it credit for. I suspect that after the repairs it'll be even better, probably as new. But it still doesn't give me the want to ride it. I don't really look forward to riding it. I find it kinda slow (which it isn't THAT slow, really), I'm wishing for better brakes (the ones on it work just fine), I just want another bike. A faster, bigger, meaner, more comfortable bike that will bring back the joy of riding.

I don't get it. I shouldn't feel that way, I haven't been riding it for that long. It's still considered a new toy, considering the time I've had it for. It should still be fun! What the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I just be content with what I got and not want for bigger and faster bikes I can't really pay for anyway?

Help me appreciate my bike more, since I don't think there's any other option right now...
Ok......this is your first bike, which you've had less than a month, and you've never ridden it when it was running properly and you have a severe case of buyers remorse. Get the bike back and ride it awhile. You need to gain more experience motorcycling anyway and this is a good bike to do it on. It may grow on you. Maybe not. Maybe you'll determine biking isn't for you. If nothing else you'll gain a little experience to help you decide what you do want.

Relax. Enjoy. Don't worry. Be happy
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
get a car

if you have one, drive it
Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halky View Post

Just ride what you have. How many miles/kms have you put on it?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Put some camping gear in a back pack or two, strap them on the bike and take off for a couple days. You can think of the bike as a fun sort of tool and you'll have more apprec7ation for it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,940
Where are you riding it? Just slabbing on any bike can be boring. Set a destination with some variety in roads,even some non-paved roads to add some excitement.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,618
Ive been trading bikes up and down,buying/selling them,for about 40 years,its a sickness that goes on and on.
At least ride the little porker a little before you dispose of it.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Halky OP
Σερ

Guys, maybe I should've clarified that. This may be my first, "official", if you will, bike, but it's not the first bike I've ever ridden. I've been on multiple bikes, I've had experience and I'm not really that new to the world of motorcycles.

I bought this bike after testing it (it was running fine for the test ride...) and bought it mainly as a commuter and for the occasional longer trip. I guess that this craving for more speed, or to explain it better power, has crept up behind me without me noticing and is strangling my experience with this bike, thus... boredom and frustration!

I guess a camping trip or even any kind of trip outside the city limits would spice things up, but I can't say I'm getting too excited with the idea of riding this bike for more time than a smoke run...

Maybe I'm seeing things the wrong way, perhaps I'm the kind of person that gets easily bored, but I don't really wanna end up hating the bike. You know, it's a kind of relationship with whatever machine you have, and I really, really want to like this bike.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Jedi Apprentice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Change your perception: be committed to a fun, safe ride instead of being so attached to the bike you are riding.

Philadelphia, PA
Jedi Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoley09 View Post
Change your perception: be committed to a fun, safe ride instead of being so attached to the bike you are riding.
Aren't the two connected, though? How do you separate the bike from the ride? If that was true, wouldn't everyone be happy on, say a 250?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Gizzaride
Banned

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
get a car

if you have one, drive it
seconded......................you aren't a "biker"
Gizzaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzaride View Post
seconded......................you aren't a "biker"
How do you figure?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 552
It's more fun to ring out a low powered bike than a high powered bike. My first road bike was a BMW G650 XMoto. I learned so much on that bike because I learned how to take it to the edge (specifically: track days). Just my opinion...
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Halky OP
Σερ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
It's more fun to ring out a low powered bike than a high powered bike. My first road bike was a BMW G650 XMoto. I learned so much on that bike because I learned how to take it to the edge (specifically: track days). Just my opinion...
I can honestly understand that. Truth be told, I had a lot of fun wringin' an old 250 virago's neck. But right now, considering I need a do-it-all tool, I'd rather have something with a little more power/oomph than the one I got now. I'm pretty much always two-up and I mainly use it as a commuter, but I'd like the fun factor to be there. Mind you, I'm not looking for supersport qualities here, nor do I like (and can afford) track days, I'd just like a more powerful, exciting machine, even for the "mundane" tasks I require of it. I pretty much know my current bike's limits (I used to ride a friends before I got mine) and I don't and won't push it everyday and in every single corner, and I -know- I'm not going to be pushing enough to find a DS literbike's limits, I just like the power and comfort of a bigger bike.

And myself being kind of a cautious and "within the speed limits" rider, I assumed that me being bored of this bike was a pretty bad sign. I don't know.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Duck Dodgers
Rock n Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 485
Bored 1 month

As stated before "buyers remorse" - "get it running properly" . That said, you won't get permission from me to sell and flee.

Once its up to snuff, put on at least a 1000 miles, 1600 km. Then really look at what you want. You stated commuter and occasional trip bike. How long is your commute? What do you think of when you state; "occasional trip"?

It also sound like you did not spend to much to start with; if fluids, sprockets, chain and etc. is half the original cost.

Keep it, ride it, make a list of what you really want in a bike. Get that and turn the KE in to a "some assembly required project."