Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #31
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
cool naked 1100... ditch the screen... make a short opaque fly screen to take the blast of the chest and call it a day...
Yep, ditch the screen, ditch the gauge cluster, build the little spacer panel like you were talking about for under the "tank"...that's going to be a very cool bike.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,089
Cool beans. 8hrs, 216 miles, ran like a top. I can set the throttle lock at 80, take both hands off the bars, and go for miles. I'd say the frame ain't tweaked.

Bike ran great. We road from Blackfoot up to Mesa Falls with a few stops and detours on the way.

Didnt take a whole lot of pics, but here are a few. Lower falls:

Strange mix...

Vulcan 1500. Passes everything but a gas station.

Mrs. Punch.

Home, safe and sound!

So a few things I need to take care of- the leaky fork seals leak pretty darn bad. I'm only getting 40 mpg, which is low as I understand it... Could have something to do with the wicked headwind on the way home though. Looks goofy with only one sidecase, but I ordered a lid to replace the broken one so that should fix that. My windshield is slightly askew- again, stupid nasty winds...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

This finally showed up today!

To replace this:

I'm no longer lopsided.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Excellent build. It will run forever!

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,797
I've been doing ALOT of research on these bikes.

I now very officially have my eyes on one of these in particular.

Talking to the owner of the one I'm considering, (also a H-D rider) talked about how much the ST1100 rider position makes him lean foreward, and makes his arms tired. I'm wondering if you've noticed this too??

Have you heard of any risers that work with these bikes?? (hey...I kin build or adapt anything, so it's not a huge issue for me)...but I'm kinda on the taller side, and have long frikken arms.

Seeing that I want this bike for long-distance touring, I don't wanna be leaning foreward on my arms all day. Upright with good posture seems to work best for me.

I have been hearing good reports about pulling a trailer with one...so that's a BIG plus!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

I'm 6'6" and it fits me pretty well. I did raise and tilt the bars to make them as tall as possible, but I would still like maybe 1" more, plan on getting a standard bar riser for that. It will push the bars BACK and up at about a 45 degree angle if that makes sense, basically straight towards me. I also think where I have them set now would be perfect without the windshield, air would be holding me up. Standard bar risers should work, where the bars clamp to the upper triple looks to me to be just a standard handlebar clamp. The stock handlebars are adjustable 5 ways from Sunday so you can put them in just about any position you want.

I do have to say, this bike just eats up the road. I can set the throttle lock and it will just go and go and go, and they are pretty roomy (comparing it to an old CB900C and an LC4...). Everything I've found on them says the motors will go 100k easy, lots more if you take care of them. Mine seems to be no exception- it tangled with a Suburban, has 51k miles on it, and still goes down the ride better than just about any other bike I've ever ridden.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
The stock handlebars are adjustable 5 ways from Sunday so you can put them in just about any position you want.
I've have several Yamaha Ventures, and they too have the completely adjustable handlebars....but they SUCKED!!!

Yeah, they were adjustable all right....except for the pitch, which is the exact thing I wanted to change about 'em.

(acouple a beers and a oxy/act torch and we fixed that right up though!!)

Quote:
I do have to say, this bike just eats up the road.
That sounds like a pretty good sales pitch to me right there!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #38
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
I've been doing ALOT of research on these bikes.

I now very officially have my eyes on one of these in particular.

Talking to the owner of the one I'm considering, (also a H-D rider) talked about how much the ST1100 rider position makes him lean foreward, and makes his arms tired. I'm wondering if you've noticed this too??

Have you heard of any risers that work with these bikes?? (hey...I kin build or adapt anything, so it's not a huge issue for me)...but I'm kinda on the taller side, and have long frikken arms.

Seeing that I want this bike for long-distance touring, I don't wanna be leaning foreward on my arms all day. Upright with good posture seems to work best for me.

I have been hearing good reports about pulling a trailer with one...so that's a BIG plus!!
I have Gen-Mar bar risers on my ST, which raises the bars about 1.5 inches. Heli-Bars also make risers and bars that raise the position, and brings the bars back. These are adjustable to your riding position. If I had it to do over I probably would have gone for the Heli-Bars because they are so adjustable.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #39
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Quote:

MY bars ARE heli... Just thought they were stock! for me they still need to come back about an inch- you can see the angle that the bars are at where they clamp to the top triple- an inch spacer under them would push them back and up just about perfect I think.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #40
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
MY bars ARE heli... Just thought they were stock! for me they still need to come back about an inch- you can see the angle that the bars are at where they clamp to the top triple- an inch spacer under them would push them back and up just about perfect I think.
Just buy a set of the appropriately sized rox risers. Problem solved.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #41
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Rox seem like a great solution if you want to go a LONG ways up... Kinda spendy if you only need an inch. I've been meaning to try a set of those out though, maybe my Endursinore will be a good project for them.

Got a windscreen for a 919 hornet. Cheapo Chinese knock-off, shipped direct from China. Windscreen isn't too bad, I actually think it's great, but the mounting hardware is a joke.

Kind of hard to see, but the screws are WAY to small and they are countersunk!? screws in a flat slot. Also, the holes in the windshield are WAY too big for the nuts on the back. I plan on making my own bracket that will move the windshield back and tip it down a bit more.

First order of bidness- some flat black on the back of the gauges.

Installed windshield...

The cool part is that my big windshield will still fit overtop of this one- so I can pop it back on if I'm going for a longer ride, bad weather, whatever.

Still need to build the little side panels over the valve covers, but that probably aint gonna happen till I'm back in school.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #42
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Was at the Fuel Coffee meet last year in Cincinnati and saw this:

Recognize it? Yours could look just like it if you've got mad fabrication skills. Hope it provides some inspiration...
Needs Triumph or Buell XB headlamps for the win!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
Rox seem like a great solution if you want to go a LONG ways up... Kinda spendy if you only need an inch. I've been meaning to try a set of those out though, maybe my Endursinore will be a good project for them.

Got a windscreen for a 919 hornet. Cheapo Chinese knock-off, shipped direct from China. Windscreen isn't too bad, I actually think it's great, but the mounting hardware is a joke.
Though it doesn't look bad, it is unfortunate - you get what you pay for. I'm on a Chinese product boycott to the extent possible. What that means is while I know I can't avoid products from China altogether I look for American made equivalents first, any country other than China 2nd, and will accept a chinese product in the absence of other alternatives. This includes Harbor Freight and the tools they sell.

Keep at it with the bike. Looks like you'll make a nice rider out of it. While I'm getting too physically challenged and sore to take on such projects anymore, I like seeing others resurrect machines that would have otherwise met an end at the crusher.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #44
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Needs Triumph or Buell XB headlamps for the win!
Um the red oversized coolys,are they the gas tanks?
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #45
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Um the red oversized coolys,are they the gas tanks?

Air filters .