ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
bikecat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
bikecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tropical Far East
Oddometer: 1,115
How to increase front suspension travel

Hi,

The front travel of my Megamoto is only about half of the available travel. How do I go about making use of the available travel? Common sense dictates using a lighter weight fork oil, and increasing the length of the air column. Am I right or is there something I overlooked?

The forks have rebound and compression adjustments, but no preload adjustment at the top.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
kpt4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,671
Careful. Lighter oil will decrease damping, which ay not be what you want.

Lower oil level is a good idea, and I would investigate if the stock spring rate is appropriate for your weight.
__________________
TAT 2008 / Colorado 2010
"Both the man of science and the man of action live always at the edge of mystery, surrounded by it." -Oppenheimer
2007 Monster S2R / 2006 TE610 / 1999 KDX 200 / 2000 DRZ-E
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,227
you could very well have forks bound up. makes forks harsh, and eliminates travel...

loosen all axle pinches
tighten left side pinches only
bounce front end a couple of times
apply front brake, compress forks as far as you can
(this takes 2 people usually) with the forks as far down as you can push them down tighten right side axle pinches

bounce forks and see if travel is back...
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 05:24 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b
 
HapHazard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Central CT
Oddometer: 2,201
From what I've seen, the Megamoto has 6.3" of front end travel. To use ALL of the available travel would require a hellacious bump. Did you check the travel using a tie wrap loosely fitted to a fork stanchion, ride over gigantic bump, then stop and pull up on the front end to eliminate the sag and measure the distance the tie wrap has moved?

Stainless' suggestion regarding bind is a good one, at any rate.

You may not have a problem. The only street bike I ever bottomed the fork on (used all the travel) is my Sportster.
If you want to trade, let me know!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
bikecat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
bikecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tropical Far East
Oddometer: 1,115
Hiya, appreciate the help here.

Here's a pic of the fork with the travel used over various bumps etc, compared with the available travel.



Unfortunately the MM does not come with preload adjuster. How does one adjust the sag in this case? By varying the oil's weight and air-gap?

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 2,567
Change the springs is usually the answer to that, though check what the % sag is - it should be around 30% of total travel with you on the bike. If it's a lot less, check the spacers inside the fork - you MIGHT get away with shorter spacers. You need some room for the wheel to drop i.e. potholes and to cope with rebound 'bounce'. For a linear system that's optimally damped (fastest settling) the rebound is around 30%.

If the spec. travel is 6.5" and you've used 5.5" that'd be doing pretty well, you usually want some reserve for "bad shit just happened".

Changing the oil shouldn't help unless it's far to heavy now - if that's the case the front of the bike will sink lower and lower if you go over a series of bumps - that's usually pretty noticeable because of the bad effect it has on handling.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Hi,

The front travel of my Megamoto is only about half of the available travel. How do I go about making use of the available travel? Common sense dictates using a lighter weight fork oil, and increasing the length of the air column. Am I right or is there something I overlooked?

The forks have rebound and compression adjustments, but no preload adjustment at the top.

Cheers
If you want to have the full travel available, then dismantle the forks and fit pre-load spacers which eliminate all sag, or stronger springs if longer spacers wont work. The bike will then be pretty much unrideable, as the suspension wont move on anything other than very large bumps, but you will have full front suspension travel.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b
 
HapHazard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Central CT
Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Hiya, appreciate the help here.

Here's a pic of the fork with the travel used over various bumps etc, compared with the available travel.



Unfortunately the MM does not come with preload adjuster. How does one adjust the sag in this case? By varying the oil's weight and air-gap?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Change the springs is usually the answer to that, though check what the % sag is - it should be around 30% of total travel with you on the bike. If it's a lot less, check the spacers inside the fork - you MIGHT get away with shorter spacers. You need some room for the wheel to drop i.e. potholes and to cope with rebound 'bounce'. For a linear system that's optimally damped (fastest settling) the rebound is around 30%.

If the spec. travel is 6.5" and you've used 5.5" that'd be doing pretty well, you usually want some reserve for "bad shit just happened".

Changing the oil shouldn't help unless it's far to heavy now - if that's the case the front of the bike will sink lower and lower if you go over a series of bumps - that's usually pretty noticeable because of the bad effect it has on handling.

Pete
I'm with Pete, you're just about right where I'd want to be for travel and have a margin for the "Oh, Shit!" bumps.

Don't worry, be happy, and if you want to trade, the offer stands.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
kpt4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,671
Unless you were racing the bike or jumping it, using 5.5 inches out of 6.3 inches is pretty good. Depending on how hard and how long you rode it to accomplish that, I might even be inclined to say it's too soft.

I don't understand why you said you are only using half of the available travel, if you are using 5.5 out of 6.3 inches.
__________________
TAT 2008 / Colorado 2010
"Both the man of science and the man of action live always at the edge of mystery, surrounded by it." -Oppenheimer
2007 Monster S2R / 2006 TE610 / 1999 KDX 200 / 2000 DRZ-E
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 1,112
One thing to keep in mind that the suspension travel numbers on the Mfg spec sheets are.... should I say optimistic.
I'm sure they aren't quite lying but what they often give is a number that's "metal to metal" at both ends of the suspension travel.

The forks have a top-out spring. To get the full 6.3" of travel (if that what the Mfg spec is) you'd need to go from a fully compressed top-out spring to forks compressed to full compression stop.

--
Mikko
__________________
"It is not when or how you die but how and if you truly were ever alive!" Dr. Jerri Nielsen FitzGerald
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
Oddometer: 5,567
only thing left to add is.... increasing the air column will make the ride softer and increase the brake dive
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
bikecat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
bikecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tropical Far East
Oddometer: 1,115
Thanks for the words of wisdom (and of doom) :)

I tweaked with the oil weight and ended up with the same travel but seemingly (psychological??) plusher front end. However, at slow speeds the front still seem "jittery" but at higher speeds (70km/up upwards) I'm happy.

What you guys reckon? I am thinking increasing rebound and compression by 2 clicks to temper the jitters.

Views?
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014