ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Mapping & Navigation
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
shalbleib OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shalbleib's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: louisville, ky
Oddometer: 121
GPS Help please. Garmin+Google maps

I have a Garmin Zumo and a Mac. Garmin recommends Base Camp for routing software, but it's dreadful if you need to create any sort of significant route. Google maps works great but I need to get the route into the GPS. I took the link from Google Maps, plugged into GPS Visualizer, got my gpx file, then imported into Base Camp. But it comes in as a track, not a route and when I try to load on the the GPS, nothing loads. What am I doing wrong? Pretty sure this is supposed to work.

Thx in advance!
__________________
Scott Halbleib

http://www.kentuckykickdown.com
"Gathering vintage two-wheeled enthusiasts as a community to celebrate, educate and further bike culture."
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 6,148
First, Google knows nothing about a GPX Route. What you create in a Google Map online App is a line with many points you don't see. When exported by most GMAP converters what you get is a GPX Track (lines between points).

There are other-than-Google online Trip Planners like Furkot.com. Some of them will export a good GPX Track file that you can copy to your computer connected GPS (zumo?). I can't tell you what you are doing wrong re: the zumo as your description is a bit to vague. Like which zumo are you using? They are not all equal in Track Import.
__________________
Dan - All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,947
there is a thread here somewhere google to basecamp or similar,you go via google earth

edit here tis
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
shalbleib OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shalbleib's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: louisville, ky
Oddometer: 121
It's a Zumo 450. So would Furkot work? Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
First, Google knows nothing about a GPX Route. What you create in a Google Map online App is a line with many points you don't see. When exported by most GMAP converters what you get is a GPX Track (lines between points).

There are other-than-Google online Trip Planners like Furkot.com. Some of them will export a good GPX Track file that you can copy to your computer connected GPS (zumo?). I can't tell you what you are doing wrong re: the zumo as your description is a bit to vague. Like which zumo are you using? They are not all equal in Track Import.
__________________
Scott Halbleib

http://www.kentuckykickdown.com
"Gathering vintage two-wheeled enthusiasts as a community to celebrate, educate and further bike culture."
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 6,148
Furkot will Export your Trip to a GPX file as a Track and Waypoints. The problem is your zumo. The 450 does not do Tracks well at all.
__________________
Dan - All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Frankston, Australia
Oddometer: 852
Couldn't you use Basecamp to convert the imported track (from Google) to a Route before sending it to the Zumo. Unless you really want a track, in which case you are
__________________
David

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalbleib View Post
I have a Garmin Zumo and a Mac. Garmin recommends Base Camp for routing software, but it's dreadful if you need to create any sort of significant route. Google maps works great but I need to get the route into the GPS. I took the link from Google Maps, plugged into GPS Visualizer, got my gpx file, then imported into Base Camp. But it comes in as a track, not a route and when I try to load on the the GPS, nothing loads. What am I doing wrong? Pretty sure this is supposed to work.

Thx in advance!


post the gpx, i wanna see how many different ways my crappy phone will export it.
__________________
Yes, Android AND iphone GPS works without cellular data. Use offline maps and enjoy. (thanks drtbyk!)
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
shalbleib OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shalbleib's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: louisville, ky
Oddometer: 121
Furkot has a better interface than BaseCamp but it CREEPS big time trying to set a route. It's pretty useless unfortunately.

And I don't see any options in BaseCamp to convert a track to a route.

I've attached one of the 2 GPX files if you want to have a go at it.

Thx everyone!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx fall2014-cruso-hotspring-brp-danielboone.gpx (313.6 KB, 37 views)
__________________
Scott Halbleib

http://www.kentuckykickdown.com
"Gathering vintage two-wheeled enthusiasts as a community to celebrate, educate and further bike culture."
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 6,148
Right-click on your selected Track and choose Create Route from Track. You will need to set the number of via points for the route or your zumo will not reproduce the same path. Read the BaseCamp Help for Creating a Route from a Track.
__________________
Dan - All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
shalbleib OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shalbleib's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: louisville, ky
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Right-click on your selected Track and choose Create Route from Track. You will need to set the number of via points for the route or your zumo will not reproduce the same path. Read the BaseCamp Help for Creating a Route from a Track.
doesn't have that option. tried to upload a screenshot but it won't upload. go figure. maybe it's time to scrap technology and go back to paper maps! but when I right click on the imported track/gpx file on the left menu there is no option to convert to route.
__________________
Scott Halbleib

http://www.kentuckykickdown.com
"Gathering vintage two-wheeled enthusiasts as a community to celebrate, educate and further bike culture."
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 6,148
Your installation is broken. You should backup your data and then remove all BaseCamp files and reinstall. Then recover your data. BaseCamp has supported Track to Route conversion for a long time (many versions) now.
__________________
Dan - All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
JamesMio
Adventurer
 
JamesMio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 26
Thumb

*Ahem.. "Hi"

Have you tried MotoGoLoco Maps for creating your routes instead?

It's free (you'll need to register a user account to save/export routes but it takes 30 seconds and we promise not to spam the crap out of your inbox!), built on top of Google Maps and *we think* makes the whole process of creating, saving and exporting a route to a GPS much, much simpler.

Would love to hear how you get on with it if you do try it out.

:)
__________________
MotoGoLoco Maps - Create your route in Google Maps and send it to your Garmin/TomTom the EASY way.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
shalbleib OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shalbleib's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: louisville, ky
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
*Ahem.. "Hi"

Have you tried MotoGoLoco Maps for creating your routes instead?

It's free (you'll need to register a user account to save/export routes but it takes 30 seconds and we promise not to spam the crap out of your inbox!), built on top of Google Maps and *we think* makes the whole process of creating, saving and exporting a route to a GPS much, much simpler.

Would love to hear how you get on with it if you do try it out.

:)
Tried it. Interface is decent and seems to perform pretty well but with a few bugs. Unfortunately once I save the route, export as GPX and open on Basecamp it's worthless. Just straight lines from waypoint to waypoint - no longer follows actual route...
__________________
Scott Halbleib

http://www.kentuckykickdown.com
"Gathering vintage two-wheeled enthusiasts as a community to celebrate, educate and further bike culture."
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
JamesMio
Adventurer
 
JamesMio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalbleib View Post
Tried it. Interface is decent and seems to perform pretty well but with a few bugs. Unfortunately once I save the route, export as GPX and open on Basecamp it's worthless. Just straight lines from waypoint to waypoint - no longer follows actual route...
Ah, yes - this one's dead easy to sort out.

Once you've loaded the GPX file into BaseCamp, you just need to right-click on it's name in the list (bottom-left), and click 'Recalculate Selected Route(s).

That'll snap the route back the correct roads as you drew it on MotoGoLoco.

All that the data in a GPX file actually contains is pin points, you then need a mapping engine (e.g. BaseCamp, MotoGoLoco Maps, Google Maps etc) to connect these pins via the appropriate roads.

Hope this helps!

:)
__________________
MotoGoLoco Maps - Create your route in Google Maps and send it to your Garmin/TomTom the EASY way.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalbleib View Post
Tried it. Interface is decent and seems to perform pretty well but with a few bugs. Unfortunately once I save the route, export as GPX and open on Basecamp it's worthless. Just straight lines from waypoint to waypoint - no longer follows actual route...
The key for any Direct Route (GPX Route Type) is to have "enough" waypoints so that most routable maps will produce the same route that you created using any online map when it differs from the map the user is ultimately going to use for navigation.

Your GPS isn't going to be using Google Maps so put in lots (≤ 50 - depends upon your GPS) of waypoints or route "dots" so you will be assured to shape the route when it is recalculated.

Some of the online Trip Planners will export a GPX Direct Route. Furkot.com allows you to select the number of points you want to export (assuming you have placed and equal number) in GPX Route format.
__________________
Dan - All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-27-2014 at 08:14 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015