Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 951
Cool2 Overland Expo 3

There was a petting zoo
I'm quite fond of goats so went in to say hello

It didn't seem quite so keen on the whole petting thing

there were even bison

which to my disappointment were not in the petting zoo, but then I saw the adult ones and realised why

a bit big and nasty looking.

Entertainment was provided by the Camel Trophy guys who built a raft

it didn't look the most stable or safe of craft, and guess what they were planning to do with it??

That's right, they're going to try and float a Land Rover across the pond on it- if it was unsuccessful, guess who was chief understudy??
Yep, Thelma, who was waiting in the wings ready to be called forward.
we all watched with bated breath as the Land Rover inched onto the raft

and then cheered as it floated across

celebrations that evening with the Camel Trophy team

and then on the final evening a solar eclipse- I've never seen one before.

This second picture almost looks like a fake or pretend eclipse, but I can assure you that it's a genuine eclipse.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 10:10 AM Reason: add photo
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #137
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Heading into Utah

All the fun and sociability was put aside the next day, when I said my goodbyes and headed off on my own once more, I headed north. Later looking for a place to camp, I decided maybe this was not a good spot

I managed to find a great place, near Page in northern Arizona

I used the local Burger King as my "office" for the evening

Checking emails and planning a route for the next few days- for those who are wondering what's up?? how come Tiffany is PLANNING??
well the event I was heading to the following weekend was the Adventure Summit and it was to be a competition with points awarded for adventure routes ridden to it. I soon had my competitive head on and was looking at maps to work out my best route

waking up in the morning, I found I was right next to this huge dam

no riding along the edge of the dam-style stunts for me, a nice bridge instead

if you have vertigo, I would not recommend this route.

I then tried to fond somewhere to get a cup of tea but it was still early morning and the cafe was not open. They had a sign with their opening hours outside which a young couple were examining and looking at their watches. We then had quite a surreal conversation about the time as they were telling me that Arizona is two hours different from Texas (their home) and so the cafe should be open according to their watches, while I was saying that Arizona is eight hours behind England and we were too early according to my watch. Leaving them to wait I rode on..

what a nice State sign

and what a great warning sign- watch out for people driving this type of vehicle as they obviously don't know how to use the brakes

I felt the title "Hazards of rough terrain" understated things a bit.

the next sign was even better..what an invitation

I looked round and the only witness was this little fellow

It was a great ride through the desert landscape, the sand wasn't too bad, but then I found out why it was supposed to be closed, as I came around a corner, this was in front of me

and getting closer

they seemed to realise that reverse is possibly not my forte and turned aside

they then flattened things down a bit and I rode through with quite a bit of paddling (and for all those who thought they only helped because I'm a woman, well think again, because the bulldozer drivers thought I was a bloke until I took my helmet off a bit later)

and why did I take off my helmet, well the dust and dirt had been wetted to reduce dust, which resulted in Thelma's tyres looking like this

with a complete lack of grip, Thelma ended up like this

not one of my prouder moments, but you know what I was too tired to care. One of the drivers saw what had happened and drove over to help.
A big thank you to Doug for his assistance, I'd been struggling a while on my own, but as the mud was so deep, I was just sinking deeper into it the more I tried to lift up Thelma. With his help we soon had her upright

and I rode off a bit more gingerly.

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 09:51 AM Reason: added a picture
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #138
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Texas Calling

Another talk confirmed, this time for Texas.

I'll be at the Horsepower Farm in Austin on 7th July.

http://www.horsepower-farm.com/

I'll see you all there.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #139
iloco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Tiffany will you be anywhere near Va on your travels this summer.
I enjoy your reports.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #140
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Talks and more Talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloco View Post
Tiffany will you be anywhere near Va on your travels this summer.
I enjoy your reports.
Hi iloco
Pleased to hear that you've been enjoying my RR's (wait till you hear where the next one is going to be from)

In the meantime, in response to your question, I'm feeling somewhat proud that I know Va is Virginia (unless someone corrects me). Someone had to recently correct me about Omaha, which I thought was the name of a State (I blame the Counting Crows for that little misapprehension)
I don't think my travels take me in your direction, but here's a list of the upcoming places and dates

14th June - Horizons Unlimited Mini Meet- Vancouver, Canada (yep, that's tonight) looking forward to this one as there are some other overland riders in town including Miquel Silvestre

22nd-24th June - Tynda Burning MotoMan, Eugene, Oregon ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php

27th June - Alt Rider, Seattle http://www.altrider.com/

7th July - Horsepower Farm, Austin, Texas http://www.horsepower-farm.com/

12th July - Pack and Paddle, Lafayette, Louisiana packpaddle.com/events-and-trips/

19th-22nd July - BMW Owners' Rally, Sedalia, Missouri www.bmwmoa.org/rally12

and home out of New York 30th July, there might be a NY talk/presentation, waiting to hear back from the guys there- unless any of you can suggest somewhere?

I'm not sure what my closest point to Va would be, if you're a BMW rider I might catch you at the MOA National Rally. Otherwise it will have to wait until next time I'm over.
Ride Safe

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #141
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
If you need a place to camp or stay we have a home on the Brazos River. We are about 35 miles SW of Ft. Worth and about 200 miles North of Austin. My wife and I would take you out for some great Texas BBQ, if you are in our area. We live outside Granbury, TX. PM if you need a place.

We have good GB friends so we can understand the English accent, though ours maybe harder for you to understand....Ride Safe. You will love Austin. Check out Barton Springs right by the city. A great Natural Springs with 68 degree clear water year round. It will be HOT. Stay hydrated.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #142
El Borracho
sheperd

Oddometer: 18
Thanks for sharing a great ride report, but I'm not sure if spraying paint and chemicals into the storm drain is, shall we say, kosher.

I'm doing the Debbie Magee role here, directing the hose pipe while Paul Daniels takes the lead (cultural reference possibly over the heads of Yanks)

El Borracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #143
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Eek whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Borracho View Post
Thanks for sharing a great ride report, but I'm not sure if spraying paint and chemicals into the storm drain is, shall we say, kosher.

I'm doing the Debbie Magee role here, directing the hose pipe while Paul Daniels takes the lead (cultural reference possibly over the heads of Yanks)

shhhhhhh

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #144
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Utah Adventures

The trail improved, for those of you wondering where I was it's the Cottonwood Canyon Trail. I took Thelma through some water to clean her off a bit.

We had plenty of these for company..I think it's a chipmunk, but the only ones I've ever seen have been cartoon ones

Grosvenor Arch was reached, I attempted to ride up the footpath that starts round to the left of the escarpment, but decided discretion was the better part of valour considering I was on my own and turned round before I got too high.

Having reached the end of the road closed section, I could see the cars looking at me a bit curiously as I took photos of the sign.

Fatigue overtook me and I stopped for a nap in a quiet spot with Thelma standing guard

Thelma woke me up after 30 minutes by suddenly dripping petrol and the smell awoke me, she did this deliberately, as she's had no leak before or since then.
Riding on a I found this place, an old fashioned Drive In Movie Theatre with the convertibles already in place. Every night they show films from the forties, fifties and sixties

I lined Thelma up with the cars

but, somehow, sitting on a motorbike is not the same as sitting in a car
Mark, the bloke who runs the place was really friendly and let me have a look around, it's an amazing place as it's in an Airstream Caravan Park, I'd love to stay in one.

http://www.shootingstardrive-in.com/

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #145
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Thanks for this as well as your other RR's. If you ever pass by Gothenburg Sweden and need a place to stay, let me know and I'll take you out to a good vegetarian restaurant and lend you my sofa in exchange for some stories.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #146
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

and home out of New York 30th July, there might be a NY talk/presentation, waiting to hear back from the guys there- unless any of you can suggest somewhere?

Ride Safe

There is a BMW/HD dealer just outside NY in NJ. See link

http://www.bergenbmwmotorcycles.com/

They might be into it as its a large dealer

Also in NYC

http://www.bmwbikesnyc.com/
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #147
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Thanks for this as well as your other RR's. If you ever pass by Gothenburg Sweden and need a place to stay, let me know and I'll take you out to a good vegetarian restaurant and lend you my sofa in exchange for some stories.

Hi Woland
thanks for the invite, you know I have just been talking to friends out here about Sweden- it is definitely on my list of places I want to go...so watch this space!
cheers

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #148
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
There is a BMW/HD dealer just outside NY in NJ. See link

http://www.bergenbmwmotorcycles.com/

They might be into it as its a large dealer

Also in NYC

http://www.bmwbikesnyc.com/
Hi
Many thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try- does anyone have direct contact with people who work there?

best wishes

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #149
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Utah

All the way through southern Utah, there was the most amazing scenery, this was another spot where I put my tent up as it was getting dark and woke up to find incredible views across the valley, this is just outside Escalante

I like the small towns, this is the petrol station at Boulder, Utah, run by a very friendly guy who was happy to chat about life in the valley. I was most impressed to find that he stocked lots of organic and vegetarian options, so I sat and had breakfast, chatting to the locals

Red cliffs were beckoning me onwards, this is more the sort of scenery that Utah is famous for

I had the luxury of time to explore some of the slot canyons- awesome to see

A couple on a Harley took this picture- they were very amused by my mud-splattered appearance

Ahead, the Burr Trail was unfolding into the desert

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #150
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Utah

In Escalante, I discovered a more al fresco office environment, they were happy for me to use their WiFi as I'd had a meal inside

and whilst I was there, This bloke turned up, having done a U-Turn in the street when he spotted Thelma, he looked around for her owner and finally decided that "yep, she's with the little lady sat over there"

He has appeared in other RR's, he's known as the Desert Doctor and is the only bike mechanic for 200 miles, he also appeared pretty knowledgeable about airheads.

Riding Burr Trail. it just got prettier and prettier

This is what we like to see, you might feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere but there are some signs to indicate which trail to take, I was heading for the picturesquely named Bullfrog Basin

Tiffany's youtube video