Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #151
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,047
Thumb Offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
If you need a place to camp or stay we have a home on the Brazos River. We are about 35 miles SW of Ft. Worth and about 200 miles North of Austin. My wife and I would take you out for some great Texas BBQ, if you are in our area. We live outside Granbury, TX. PM if you need a place.

We have good GB friends so we can understand the English accent, though ours maybe harder for you to understand....Ride Safe. You will love Austin. Check out Barton Springs right by the city. A great Natural Springs with 68 degree clear water year round. It will be HOT. Stay hydrated.
Many thanks for that offer, I'll add you to my Little Black Book...as you never know. I haven't decided yet, which route to take heading back down to Texas, I need to go via Salt Lake City.
and the accent- I met a poor bloke from Texas who I could hardly understand, I had to get him to repeat himself several times- he was blushing in the end.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #152
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

utah

Onto tarmac again, and in the distance the glimpse of blue water, I'd reached Lake Powell. Approaching the ferry dock

I had a wait for the ferry itself and so took Thelma down to the beach. While she was sunbathing by the water's edge, I went exploring

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #153
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
So Jealous!! CR-12 and the Burr Trail are FANTASTIC Motorcycle Roads!!
I did that route last year and am looking for another excuse to do it again... (my other bike hasn't been there!)
Enjoy the scenery Tiffany!

Meanwhile, we had lots of good sight-seeing taking place at the 2012 Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #154
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
I also was out on the Burr Trail last September, after the boat across the lake at Halls Crossing, and we stopped and went into that same slot canyon. Then up to Torrey for a brief sojourn. It's a fun area for a ride.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #155
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Lovin' Utah

As I was saying before I got interrupted during the last session on the computer

I left Thelma down on the beach while I had my eye on the lake

But then I had a better idea

Big Splash

The Patented Tiff Coates Method for Washing Muddy Leathers

Meanwhile, around the corner, the ferry had pulled in, the captain was somewhat concerned at spotting an abandoned bike by the edge of the water. He docked the ferry and wasted no time in heading over to investigate, at which point I emerged from the water. He didn't really know what to say except
"Can I help you with your things?!"

and off he walked back to the boat carrying my jacket and helmet, whilst I tried to make myself presentable.

The ferry crossing was extremely windy, which suited me as I sat in the shade while my wet stuff was draped over Thelma drying off.

View from the ferry...lots of rock and lots of water

ferry workers ignoring the clothing draped over Thelma as they prepare for docking

Letting my leathers dry out a bit more, I rode off wearing my shorts

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #156
RokLobster
Far from sanity

Oddometer: 77
Excellent form on your jump.

Can we assume that you are a member of the British Olympic team, competing in the games this summer??
RokLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #157
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

Thelma woke me up after 30 minutes by suddenly dripping petrol and the smell awoke me, she did this deliberately, as she's had no leak before or since then.
Thelma is just marking her territory.

Ride Safe!

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 04:45 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #158
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

Dear Webster....here is the true definition of "free spirit". Please update your books accordingly.

I'm captivated Tiffany. Carry on...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #159
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Utah 3

I thought that the pictures from Lake Powell would raise a chuckle or two. Roklobster, why else do you think I'm dashing back to England at the end of July? I'll be on standby for a late inclusion in the UK's team for splashiest jump.

A fuel stop at one of the loneliest petrol stations I've encountered, in the middle of nowhere.

Looking at the dirt ahead, I donned my somewhat soggy leather trousers, a mite uncomfortable at first, but in the Utah heat they were like having built-in air-conditioning

I tried recreating my Sahara Desert picture, but the sand just isn't the same in America.

Ascending up through the trees, in search of cooler temperatures.

I'm riding through the Manti La Sal National Forest in southern Utah. It's stunningly beautiful with a great range of dirt tracks- I later found out it features in the Back Country Routes DVD from Touratech. I rode through dirt, gravel, rock, sand and mud before realising that maybe I should check my direction, I hadn't managed to get a very detailed map of the forest and there seemed to be many more trails than I was expecting. There is a definitely a lack of people in these parts, I discovered someone camping in the middle of nowhere who very clearly had come up here to get away from it all and did NOT want to be disturbed by anyone. However, needs must, I took a deep breath and approached, noticing as I did so that his pick-up truck had a large sticker on it bearing the legend "Pissing off the world one person at a time" good grief I thought that's all I need. As I walked closer, helmet off, smile plastered on face, I could feel the hostility radiating off him. In my best British accent I told him I was lost and needed to check my route. Luckily he didn't shoot me, (he definitely had a gun in his truck) looked surprised at my accent and gruffly gave me directions, also pointing out to me how the forest tracks are numbered. I quickly said my thanks and retreated back to Thelma. As I was about to ride off, he approached (I flinched) and he offered me some stew, I claimed a dinner date and headed off down the trail. Who was I kidding about a dinner date in this remote bit of forestry?!

The views became more and more spectacular, as I came over the top of the mountain and was descending a trail that hugged the edge of the steep slope. No room for mistakes as I would have gone hurtling down the vertical drop which was several hundred feet. After talking to him I didn't see anyone else the rest of that day except two quad bikes who passed me in the opposite direction.

I was getting tired and making silly mistakes, I realised I wasn't going to get anywhere near Moab tonight, let alone down to the valley floor at the bottom. I had no idea how much further the trail went.

As the sun was setting, I rode on, keeping my eyes open for anywhere suitable for my tent.

Eventually I had to ride off the trail up a steep slope through soft earth, cactus and shrubs, finally stopping to park Thelma behind a bush as I set up the tent next to another one and settled down to eat my peanut butter sandwiches and enjoy a cup of tea. In the cactus next to me was Flat Stanley, a school project piece from a friend's daughter whom I'm supposed to be taking with me and photographing in different locations.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #160
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Utah-and More

The next morning, I was rewarded with a great view from my tent

and narrowly avoided the pink spiky cactus just outside!

Riding back down the slope, I came out onto a trail that was beginning to look like it might actually lead somewhere, still no sign of anybody else.

Some amazing landscapes and rock formations, I love rides like this

Even a bit of a river crossing-

The trail was a bit better than it was last night, I was off the tight narrow mountain tracks and in to the bowl of the valley

I started to see telegraph poles and realized this must lead to civilization and potentially a hot cup of tea!

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #161
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Great reading.

Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #162
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Wow Tiff, dejavu
In the same area one hot, hot hot,HOT September in 86. Thought I was gonna die! When I saw the ramp into the lake I almost gunned the bike and drove straight in. Sanity prevailed and I did actually get the bike stopped before running in with full gear on. Lucky for me there was a little resuaurant/bar with AC that I spent the rest of the daylight hours in.
Bike was an airhead too, albeit a Suzuki, and was giving me first degree burns to the legs.
Keep hydrated, girl!
Keep safe.
ToadRide
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #163
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 215
Utah Scenic Routes

If you ever come off the dirt, here are some scenic routes you may want to try. It's from my book, Road Trips - Part I. In addition, outside of Escalante there's the Hogback Trail that's scenic and scary.

Utah Route 14 begins by following a spring creek through a meadow of goldenrod. It looked like a blue snake crossing a yellow sea. Then it takes you into a tunnel-like path through a forest of white aspens with quaking yellow leaves, past piles of black volcanic basalt rock formations and onto a winding ridge overlooking a turquoise colored glacial lake filled with melted snow. That would have been enough to qualify it as one of the best roads of the ride, but the postcard-like scenery continued.
Halfway to Cedar City, we turned onto Utah Route 143 and Cedar Breaks National Monument. This place is colorful, breathtaking, and it’s free. Just stop, hop off your scooter, and walk to the shoulder of the road. I almost locked up both wheels when I looked between some trees at the side of the road and saw a 1000-foot deep, mile wide hole in the ground. Bryce Canyon was almost a let down after paying $10 and seeing nothing better than what Cedar Breaks offered. The road that took us along the length of Bryce Canyon was 25 miles of double solidly striped pavement filled with lines of moving cars, slow moving buses, and even slower moving motor homes. In other words, it was torturous. The sandstone formations were colorful, but the heat and the traffic conspired to negate the beauty of the place.
From Bryce Canyon, we took the road less traveled by continuing on Utah Route 12. It’s only 120 miles long, but it has to be the most scenic road in America. It was the second memorable road of the entire trip. More than once, I almost ran right off the road after rounding a curve and finding myself in the middle of surreal scenery. Multi-colored sandstone cliffs shone as if they were back lighted, pure white limestone walls squeezed a black macadam road narrowed by canyon walls, and cotton-ball like clouds skittered across a deep blue sky.
For 100 miles, from Bryce Canyon to the end of Utah Route 12, we saw only two other vehicles. It seems all the tourists that visit Bryce Canyon reverse course back to US Route 89 and then get on I-15 or I-70. If they knew what they were missing, they wouldn’t continue making that mistake. Although the map shows several towns along Utah Route 12, you’d be lucky to find a gas station in any of them. After four days and 1000 miles of touring the West I concluded the town where we stayed that night, Escalante, was like most of the West. It equaled empty. Even on a Saturday night.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #164
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Moab Rockiness

There seems to be bit of a theme of red rocky landscapes going on and I haven't even reached the National Parks yet

I'd made to out of the forest and the mountains into Moab, had a long late breakfast break and a large cup of tea.

took a look around the town, and as part of my points gathering for the adventure summit got a photo at the fire station, some antique looking pieces of equipment there.

In the supermarket I stocked up on food, ready for more wild camping, I was unable to resist lots of fresh fruit and then had problems trying to stuff it into the luggage on the bike. All set I went exploring some canyons

Unfortunately it was at this point that I realized I had a puncture and took a closer look

I could hear air hissing out- never a good sign, particularly when you're on a dirt track in a canyon, however, compared to where I had been riding over the past few days this was virtually a motorway. The hole that had been plugged five days ago was leaking air around the plug. Someone in a pick-up truck stopped and offered to help, he didn't have a compressor but said he would be coming back soon and would bring one with him which was very kind. Unfortunately I never saw him again, others stopped to ask if they could help, but I blithely waved them on, saying someone was coming back.
Time passed, vultures were wheeling in the sky above me and I was starting to make inroads in the fruit mountain I had in my bag.

A couple in a truck stopped - Randy and Judy from Colorado, I told them about the non-reappearance of the other guy so they decided to help.

Then Bob on an ATV stopped and he had a compressor and rope plugs,

the blokes were keen to to do the work so I said fine, go ahead.

In case you're wondering, yes, I have got a repair kit, although I don't carry a compressor and yes, I usually do my own repairs. However I was unsure about re-plugging a hole that had already been plugged once and so wanted to check. I've got my trusty hand pump which puts enough air in to get me out of trouble.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #165
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh If you like reddish rocks...

Due to the delay from the puncture, I was somewhat late when I got to Arches National Park

So late in fact that the park wardens at the gate had gone home, I spent the rest of the evening chasing the sinking sun across the park, trying to get photos of as many of the great rock formations as I could before it got dark

There are some amazing shapes, all created by the wind, erosion and water

a couple of them later on, I didn't stop Thelma to take the picture, let alone get off her

Don't worry if you're tired of red rock type photos, not too many more

and of course the bike shadow picture

It was getting dark as I left the park and headed up the road. I took a dirt track off the highway and then another one off that, the route got very bumpy, steep and lots of loose stones in the track. A hair-raising ride in the dark. I finally stopped when I realized it was just too dangerous to continue any further.
I thought that last night's camp spot was steep but it was nothing compared to the choice I had tonight...no pictures as it was too dark, wait until morning.

Tiffany's youtube video