Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #166
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
wonderful photos as always Tiffany. But I have a question....you often times have photos' of yourself riding on the bike, or sitting on the bike. Do you take the time to stop and set up the camera to auto mode? and then ride back to get it? I admire your patience and the discipline it takes to do this.....especially when the sun is going down and your in the middle of nowhere with only Thelma to keep you company. There's a lot to be learned from you
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #167
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 182
Self Portraits and What's In Those Bags?

I'm curious, too. How do you take those self portraits and what exactly do you carry in all those bags? Do you have a can of puncture seal? It can be a life-saver.

Also, have you had any problems with rear wheel bearings, shock mounts, or the rear subframe with the large amount of weight on the back of your bike that's taking an off-road pummeling?
Thanks.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #168
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,051
If you are coming to Southern California you're welcome to stay, spare room - I'm in Temecula, about an hour north of San Diego, but inland. I'll be home until around July 9 or 11 (still up in the air) until I'm off for my own bike trip. Not sure when I'll be home.

It would be great hearing the experiences of a woman who's done a lot of solo travel - always looking for advice!
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #169
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 951
Thumb Self Portraits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
wonderful photos as always Tiffany. But I have a question....you often times have photos' of yourself riding on the bike, or sitting on the bike. Do you take the time to stop and set up the camera to auto mode? and then ride back to get it? I admire your patience and the discipline it takes to do this.....especially when the sun is going down and your in the middle of nowhere with only Thelma to keep you company. There's a lot to be learned from you
HI Vixen,
Good to hear from you. And yes, almost all those photos of me riding, are when I have set up my camera to self-time and I ride past. It can be time-consuming and also at times frustrating as it sometimes takes a few goes to get it right and the framing is never as good as it would be if someone is holding the camera, but I've realized that just having pictures of Thelma on her own with a bit of scenery or road doesn't make for the most interesting of photos My Mum is always the first to pull me up on those pictures!

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #170
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadbob.com View Post
I'm curious, too. How do you take those self portraits and what exactly do you carry in all those bags? Do you have a can of puncture seal? It can be a life-saver.

Also, have you had any problems with rear wheel bearings, shock mounts, or the rear subframe with the large amount of weight on the back of your bike that's taking an off-road pummeling?
Thanks.
Hey Bob,
What do I carry in my bags? Personally I don't think I have a lot of luggage, as someone who does a lot of wild camping, I obviously need to carry all the camping gear, cooking stuff and food as well as tools, repair manual, spare parts, the multitude of things I need to take when I am going to be travelling for months in remote areas. And not forgetting, all this stuff is often for two people- so it's the same amount of bags for two of us as for just me. And no, I don't carry a can of puncture seal...yet

I haven't had any issues with rear wheel bearings, shock mounts or subframe- despite putting Thelma through some nasty trails- Africa in particular was hard work on her, and that was two up as well. She has an incredibly strong frame.

But maybe I could learn a few things about loading up a bike from these two guys I met in the Gobi Desert.

And I think I may be at an advantage over some GS riders, I'm about half the weight of the average GSer

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #171
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Antelope and Antics

Waking up, I was able to appreciate just how steep a slope I had camped on, as I took down my tent

and then riding back down to the road, I looked around and appreciated the late night ride I'd done in the dark on this!!

From the highway, I took a route called Blue Hills Road, things got s bit drier and sand was appearing

In the distance, I saw some animals, which as I got closer, made me feel like I was in Africa once more

I managed to get a bit closer

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #172
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
HI Vixen,
Good to hear from you. And yes, almost all those photos of me riding, are when I have set up my camera to self-time and I ride past. It can be time-consuming and also at times frustrating as it sometimes takes a few goes to get it right and the framing is never as good as it would be if someone is holding the camera, but I've realized that just having pictures of Thelma on her own with a bit of scenery or road doesn't make for the most interesting of photos My Mum is always the first to pull me up on those pictures!

Thank you for replying Tiffany, I totally get it....especially the part about Mums! Pics of bikes and mountains and roads and food you are about to consume just doesn't sit well with them

I can imagine how much time doing these shots takes...but so worth it. Not just the fact that they add so much value to this report depicting both Thelma AND you in action, but they also give the readers (me anyway) an insight as to how care free your attitude is...For you, it's truly about the ride and not the destination
Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #173
TripleTee
Over the river

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:

I managed to get a bit closer

WOW - a six-legged, two-headed antelope (or something) - where do you find this stuff?

Great report - sounds like you're having a ball!

Little Foot
TripleTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #174
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Very cool report, thanks for taking the time to write it all up.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #175
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Yours is defiantly one of my favorite reports/threads. I'm always amazed at how consistent your reports are and how good the photos are. Very impressed. Thank you

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #176
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Oh BTW I love that you ride an older bike. Not some fully farkled high end machine.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #177
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 627
I'll see you at Tynda tomorrow. It looks like rain. There are a few of us riding up from California.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #178
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
HI Vixen,
from South Texas...great RR, enjoying it very much. Continuing with the photo question; what do you use for a tripod?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #179
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Oregon Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Guy View Post
I'll see you at Tynda tomorrow. It looks like rain. There are a few of us riding up from California.
Hey Phone Guy, it does look like rain, I'm in Portland about to head south - one look at the sky and I'm putting my thermal long johns on
See you later at the Burning Moto Man event- it'll be a good one.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #180
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 182
Gobis

After a fireside meal of lambchops, I think those guys should skin that thing and put it across the tank. As a child, I had firsthand experiences riding on mc tanks and they aren't comfortable or safe for male riders.

Kudos to you for your solo travels. It's a shame more women don't travel totally solo as you do. Come to think of it, most guys don't have the guts to travel solo like you do. I sense a business/tour company opportunity. Double kudos to you.

Two-up? Who's the passenger? You don't allow anyone else to pilot Thelma, do you?

I know solo travel can be surprisingly isolating, especally years ago before the Internet, cell/sat phones, and an adventure rider's best friend, ADVrider, so here's a little something to give you an on-the-road (trail) laugh. It's from my Road Trips book, You Might Be A Real Dual Sport Rider If...

"You're out on a dual sport riding weekend and at the campground another camper asks you where your truck is, you say you don't have one, and the camper asks you where your truck is. You're out on a dual sport riding weekend and at the campground another dual sport rider asks you where your truck is, you say you don't have one, and he walks away shaking his head. You're planning a dual sport riding weekend and if it doesn't fit in the tank bag, the saddlebags, or on the seat, it doesn't go. You're on a dual sport riding weekend and the only spare clothes you have is a pair of flip-flops. You know all GPS off-pavement software mileage doesn't match ground mileage. You know all GPS off-pavement software has hundreds of errors (because they've never been where you've been and they never will be). You see a sign that says, "Pavement Ends", you smile, you don't slow down, and then you speed up. It's raining really hard, you're riding up a forest road, and your front tire is pushing a bow wave. The guy behind you says, "I can't believe you saved it back there", asks you how you did it, and you tell him, "When in doubt, gas it." You think "Road Closed" is just an opinion. You think, "Bridge Out" is a dare. You can't figure out what people do with all the gear they carry on the trail. You can't figure out why anyone puts an oversized tank on their bike when you've never run out of gas with your stock one. You smile sheepishly when you win a trophy at a dual sport event as you're trying to figure out how you're going to carry it home because you rode your dual sport to the dual sport event. You don't want to win the tires at a dual sport event because you know you can't safely carry them 300 miles home on your (350cc) dual sport bike." - Backroad Bob

BTW, you may want to change your photo's caption. You're obviously no airhead. How about "Tiffany's Travels"? It worked for Jonathan Swift.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote