Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #181
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,053
Cool2 SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
If you are coming to Southern California you're welcome to stay, spare room - I'm in Temecula, about an hour north of San Diego, but inland. I'll be home until around July 9 or 11 (still up in the air) until I'm off for my own bike trip. Not sure when I'll be home.

It would be great hearing the experiences of a woman who's done a lot of solo travel - always looking for advice!
Hi Little Bike, another invitation I will have to take a rain check on, sorry, but I'm not heading back down to Southern California on this trip...maybe next time, it's always good to chat to other women riders. Any idea what direction you'll be going in? Look out for me on the road.
Ride Safe

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #182
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Pillion on Thelma

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadbob.com View Post
After a fireside meal of lambchops, I think those guys should skin that thing and put it across the tank. As a child, I had firsthand experiences riding on mc tanks and they aren't comfortable or safe for male riders.

Kudos to you for your solo travels. It's a shame more women don't travel totally solo as you do. Come to think of it, most guys don't have the guts to travel solo like you do. I sense a business/tour company opportunity. Double kudos to you.

Two-up? Who's the passenger? You don't allow anyone else to pilot Thelma, do you?

BTW, you may want to change your photo's caption. You're obviously no airhead. How about "Tiffany's Travels"? It worked for Jonathan Swift.
Hi Bob
I enjoyed the section from your book and could relate to a lot of it.
To answer your questions...
In the early days, there were always two of us on Thelma, sharing the riding and getting the opportunity for a nap on the back every afternoon (how I miss those naps)
Take a look at the Rogues Gallery on my website for who else has been on Thelma with me

http://tiffanystravels.co.uk/image/tid/1

A range of nationalities and ages as you can see.
I'm happy for other people to ride Thelma- in fact I've taught several people how to ride on her whilst I've been sat behind them- a hair-raising experience at times

After everything we put Thelma through with two complete novices learning to ride on her whilst heading to India, I'm probably the last person to stand in the way of letting newbies ride my bike.

I appreciate your concerns for me getting labelled, my caption is probably understood by only a minority of people on this website- Airhead refers to Thelma's engine.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #183
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

But maybe I could learn a few things about loading up a bike from these two guys I met in the Gobi Desert.

Yeah, just sit on the gas tank, OUCH!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #184
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Hi Little Bike, another invitation I will have to take a rain check on, sorry, but I'm not heading back down to Southern California on this trip...maybe next time, it's always good to chat to other women riders. Any idea what direction you'll be going in? Look out for me on the road.
Ride Safe
I'm heading up to Utah, northern Idaho and then (hopefully BC if I can find my passport)....I have about 4 1/2 weeks before I have to go back to school (I'm a teacher). If you don't mind I will probably be contacting you for some advice about traveling solo in other countries. I'm riding a red Honda Rebel, wear a high-vis jacket or vest, a lot of luggage and a ukulele - hopefully we'll run into each other at some time. Be safe and have a continued great time!
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #185
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Sand to Snow

I'd been enjoying the riding and the different scenery in south eastern Utah

and despite the intense heat, there were some nights I didn't need to put the flysheet on my tent

some of the best trails I've ridden

I was starting to get confused about the difference between deer and antelope...or are they all called deer down here? At times it seemed like they were watching me from every hill top

But it was time to leave and head north, I had the Adventure Summit at Salt Lake City to get to, and to reach it, I had to go in search of tarmac- this seemed to be the stuff I was looking for

and at times I found myself just chasing tumbleweed

look closely enough and you'll see the tumbleweed in front of me- this was another picture where Thelma is holding the camera, getting things in focus is not really her forte

Avoiding the highway itself, I managed to find a couple more dirt tracks, including one with the unusual name of Consumers Road

things were starting to get a bit green as I went north, and I was having to layer up again, I soon found out why I was feeling chilly, not sure what altitude I was at, but there was plenty of snow around

In fact 40 minutes later when I reached a much-needed petrol station in the valley, the other bikers looked on in amazement as I pulled off my helmet, I wasn't sure if it was my extremely dishevelled a ppearanceor the fashion faux pas of plaits with a balaclava (take note folks, that is NEVER a good look). But actually it turned out these riders were from Texas and had never seen a balaclavaI told them they hadn't lived.

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 04:27 PM
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #186
wordguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Take a look at the Rogues Gallery on my website for who else has been on Thelma with me

http://tiffanystravels.co.uk/image/tid/1

A range of nationalities and ages as you can see.
At first glance I read this as "...A range of rationalities and ages..."

-Alan
wordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #187
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Tiny Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
from South Texas...great RR, enjoying it very much. Continuing with the photo question; what do you use for a tripod?
Hi Weazy Buddha
It's only a very small cheap one- a Vivitar with flexible legs on it that are about three inches long - tripod almost seems too grand a name for it! The flexible legs are handy as it means I can have it hanging from a tree brach with the camera upside down to try and get a shot of me riding past.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #188
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Did someone say rational?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordguy View Post
At first glance I read this as "...A range of rationalities and ages..."

-Alan
I think you're correct with the rationalities- anyone who is thinking rationally would not go on a bike trip with me

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #189
livewire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I hear that! You are a loon. I mean that in a good way with utmost respect for your efforts and feedback.
I would love to have such a charmed life.
Meanwhile, I'll just eat the popcorn...
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #190
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Law Enforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
a less common signal these days is when you meet a motorcyclist approaching in the other lane and he points at his helmet or head, it doesn't mean he thinks you're crazy.... ..usually. Older police cars had a single red rotating light on top, resembling a bubble gum machine so he is telling you that in your very near future there will be a friendly law enforcement officer, probably with a radar gun. Since a helmet resembles a bubble, etc. Don't see it used much any more.

Have fun out there, stephen
Hey Stephen
Guess what I saw the other day...yep. a motorcyclist with a clenched fist against his helmet. A vague memory of your post came to me and so I slowed my pace. Hey presto, half a mile down the road was PC Plod waiting under a tree.
So, thank you for that timely bit of advice, at home we mainly just flash our lights.
PS I might be heading down your way, if I make it to your town, I'll get you a beer to say thanks.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #191
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Adventure Summit

Past coal mine and animals that were running away in the bushes, I wasn't pausing long enough to get a better look

Over even more mountain ranges and down the other side passing lake-filled scenery that was more reminiscent of Switzerland and certainly not what I expected in desert-filled Utah

I was riding hard to get to the BMW Dealership in Salt Lake City, as they had a part on order for me - just a lock for my pannier where someone had thoughtlessly run me off the road- luckily that was the only damage.

I made it in time, and had a chance to chat to some of the staff, a friendly bunch, one of them is from Cornwall- hello Lee if you read this.

I had even put on my clean shirt for the occasion, as you can see
It was then a short hop, skip and a jump over the final mountain range to my destination for the next few days- except that the staff at the dealership weren't even too sure if the mountain pass was open, rumour had it that there was still snow on it, I was determined to give it a try and set off looking for the elusive dirt trail out of Salt Lake City- after so many dirt roads already, I was determined not to have to resort to the Interstate.
Finding the trail was hard, there were no signs and I had to backtrack a lot until the Mormon Boy Racers of SLC jumped to my rescue in their sporty little car with the funny exhaust and led me to it. I haven't got any pictures of this final gravel route as the sunlight was fast disappearing and it was bitterly cold, particularly as I ascended the summit.

It was late by the time I finally reached the Adventure Summit at Tooele, they'd just about finished serving dinner, however, I was in luck as a welcome sight awaited me

A ton of fresh vegetables with dipping sauces, I was in seventh heaven as I tucked in, answering questions about my off-road routes to the event.

The next day we attempted the Pony Express off-road route over the hills, but some incredibly cold and wet weather had blown in with me, the temperature plunged towards zero , it was raining on us but we could see the snow falling on the mountains ahead of us, we reluctantly had to call it a day for the ride-out and headed back.

Our unlikely camping spot was right next to the track where they were holding the World Superbike Races, I headed over to watch them with Thelma.

I managed to get a picture next to the track, with a bemused security guard looking on, unfortunately I didn't have my camera on me later as I sat on the grass next to the Grandstand (riff-raff entry ticket for me) and watched Max Biaggi racing- that bloke is a legend. I had a great spot, right next to the track, close to the run-off lane for pitstops.

I can't believe I also didn't manage to get a picture of the lush green grass we were camping on (I bet someone reading this did though?), it was a stark contrast to my camping spots over the previous week. We were next to the Utah State Fire Fighters' Museum, the meals were eaten in a large room, filled with antique fire engines

All under the watchful eye of Dave, a former FF himself, who kindly let me clamber around on some of them and even posed for a picture with me

Having a wander around, I found the not-so-subtle US Marines recruiting tent, complete with chin-up competition taking place, couldn't resist getting a picture with it all in the background

The next day we headed out to the course where we went through our paces on the motocross track

Thelma didn't let me down, although I chickened out of some of the steeper rocky sections.
We also had to go around a race-course

At the close of all the competitive riding, the points were totted up, some being awarded for adventurous routes being ridden to the event, which I scored fairly well on.
There was a trophy-laden table, and Ian Schmeisser, the event organiser handing them out.

I was amazed to hear my name called out, I had won something and went up to receive my trophy

And proudly joined the line-up of winners

This was my favourite picture from the weekend

I'd like to thank Ian who organises the Adventure Summit events, Tracy who has the thankless task of being score-keeper, all the volunteers including Gale and Sandy and also my fellow compatitiors for what was a fantastically friendly and fun weekend .
Roll on the next one.

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 12:01 AM Reason: late night spelling mistakes
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #192
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 800
Tiffany, you're on. I can even round up a pub with serious dark beer and some kinda adaptable vegetarian dishes...

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 04:59 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #193
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Drinking Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
Tiffany, you're on. I can even round up a pub with serious dark beer and some kinda adaptable vegetarian dishes...
You have pubs in Oklahoma?
Give me a week and I'll be there

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #194
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Familiar Faces

Through the wonders of modern science, I just managed to download some other people's photos from the Overland Expo, and I thought you'd be interested to see who I met up with

Yep - Nico Mama herself, we had a great time, so good to finally get to meet Nicole.

That's Roseann in the middle, she founded and organises the event.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #195
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Tiffany

I offered you a place to stay at our place outside Ft. Worth but realized we will be gone for 2 months leaving this Thursday. I am sure some other Texan will offer a place. It will be HOT here so drink alot of water. Sorry to miss you. You are a ADV legend and I would have been honored to be your host. Ride far and ride Safe. Cheers Y'all....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote