Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #196
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,002
Cool2 Texan Hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Tiffany

I offered you a place to stay at our place outside Ft. Worth but realized we will be gone for 2 months leaving this Thursday. I am sure some other Texan will offer a place. It will be HOT here so drink alot of water. Sorry to miss you. You are a ADV legend and I would have been honored to be your host. Ride far and ride Safe. Cheers Y'all....
Thank you FotoTex for that, though I think I might be alright, I'll be at a friend's house in Austin while I'm doing my talk at Horsepower Farm then I'm heading to Louisiana, some of those Cajun Dirt Riders have offered to come over and ride with me the back routes to Lafayette which should be good.
I'm not looking forward to the heat, but I'll cope.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #197
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Seattle Tomorrow Night

I've had several messages from people who'll be at the event tomorrow night, just a reminder and also because I like the poster that Alt Rider have produced

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #198
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 630
Tynda

Hi Tiffany,

It was great meeting you and spending the weekend listening to the presentations. I am often amazed by the diverse group that comes to Eric's event. As small as it is there were People from Australia, Brazil, France, Chech. Republic. (transplanted to Vancouver BC), England and as far away as California . There are probably some I left out so forgive me if so. I will get a photo uploaded when I can. It was a wet weekend but worth every drop.

Mike
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #199
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
When in Austin a Must do is Barton Springs. A nice 68 degree crystal clear water to swim in. I would also drive out to Luckenbach for a taste of Classic Texas. Lots of bikes mixed in with Cowboys . And a very cool old Dance Hall. No place but Texas....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #200
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,128
Thumb Great Presentation...

Thanks for chatting us up this evening Tiffany, well done! Glad I got to meet you AND Thelma, see you on the road sometime.
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #201
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Rack Time

As I was getting ready to leave, I shook out my trousers and luckily I did so, as this little fellow came flying out

Since the spider biting incident from last time, I am a bit wary about American spiders

My first night after the Adventure Summit was spent in relative luxury, in a bed at a friend's house, waking up to the most amazing view in the morning - this might look like a painting, but it was what I saw when I woke up. The bear is actually a sculpture, but the deer was real.

Riding throughout the mountains, I was heading to Jim Harvey's workshop, he'd been riding with our group over the weekend and having seen the pitiful state of Thelma's pannier rack, he offered to build her a new one.

We spent the day at his workshop while he measured and measured some more, as none of the angles seemed to match up on Thelma!!

The serious welding started happening

More checking of angles

More welding

The finished product

They look great and they will be stronger than any rack I've had before. Hopefully that means there will be no more scenes like this one in the future

This was welding...Siberian style

The racks needs powder coating, so I'll pick it up on my way back through Salt Lake City in a c couple of weeks time.

Huge thanks to Jim and to his wife who fed and me and chatted.

http://www.globetrottin.com

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #202
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
Sweet, they look good!! The Siberian picture made me laugh and also made me envious. Enjoying life's adventures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #203
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Idaho ho ho

I'd been invited to a friend's place at Bear Lake, riding north through Utah, it actually got quite chilly in Logan Canyon, as I paused to switch on my heated Gerbing jacket and gloves. Lots of greenery all around and a few deer lurking by the roadside, which made me go a lot slower, I'd been hearing tales about motorcyclists hitting deer and they didn't have happy endings.

Finally, the lake appeared, sparkling blue in the distance.

Naturally I couldn't resist going in for a paddle (or a wade as Americans call it)

The water level in the lake had been dropping for a long time, but in the past year, it has risen as you can tell from the sign.

and then we went out in their little ATV buggy thing, which I completely failed to get a picture of!

The trails through the woods were pretty and it was nice to be a passenger for a change, I could sit back and enjoy the scenery.

We went up to the snow line,

A hike through the woods brought us to some creeks

and back down to the lake, I wish I could have had more time to explore the area on Thelma, some great dirt trails

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #204
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Burning Moto Man Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Guy View Post
Hi Tiffany,

It was great meeting you and spending the weekend listening to the presentations. I am often amazed by the diverse group that comes to Eric's event. As small as it is there were People from Australia, Brazil, France, Chech. Republic. (transplanted to Vancouver BC), England and as far away as California . There are probably some I left out so forgive me if so. I will get a photo uploaded when I can. It was a wet weekend but worth every drop.

Mike
Hi Mike
It was good to meet you too, and a surreal experience to walk into a diner in a town I've never been before and be greeted with the words "Hello Tiffany".
It was a great weekend, lots of interesting people and a beautiful spot to camp in. Post the photos when you get them uploaded- or have you got a RR about it somewhere?

see you on the road sometime

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #205
FishTaco
urban misfit

Oddometer: 79
Brings a smile

Just enjoying the bejeezus out or your reports happily zig-zagging around the U.S. and the world. Thanks for the wonderful reports and the fantastic point of view you bring to your travels.

Cheers!
Jay
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #206
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Thank You Seattle

Many thanks to everyone who came to the talk in Seattle, it was great to meet you and it was a lively evening. No heckling form the Canadians I was relieved to note!

I've moved on now as I need to get south east in a hurry - heads up for Texas as I'm heading your way. In the meantime, I had better get some more of my RR uploaded before I get further behind.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #207
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Sandy Exploits

You guys are going to enjoy this

Leaving Idaho, I headed across Nevada, as expected it was hot and there's not an awful lot to see except more amusing road signs

here's one for any dyslexic Star Wars fans who may be reading

Towards the end of the day, I was getting tired and the sun was about to set, I headed off road to find a place to camp. I'd seen on my map a reservoir was marked and so headed towards it through the sandy tracks

I was doing OK until this point

For some reason, Thelma just could not be shifted, I did all the usual desert stuff of digging away and putting stuff under the wheel, pushing and pulling

she moved about 2 inches

and so I used a different tack...I don't think I've seen this manoeuvre in the handbook

the facial grimaces say it all

Finally, Thelma was back on reasonably solid ground

Feeling hot and sweaty, Ileft her there and headed off to the reservoir....
well more fool me
Being a Brit, the image that comes to mind when the word reservoir is used is one of clear, blue sparkling waters. Why on earth I didn't stop to think "Tiff, you're in Nevada, one of the driest places on the planet"?!

The reality of a Nevada Reservoir was actually something that personally I would describe as a rather large muddy puddle. There was not the faintest chance in hell of plunging into cool water, the mud was knee deep to get to the first few inches of water, at which point I gave up and contented myself with gazing at it instead

I've got to admit, the "reservoir" looked better in the dark

But then, even Thelma (Miss Perfection Personified as a Bike) improves as the sun sets...

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #208
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I had a reasonable day at work today.

Love reading your stuff.

Chris K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #209
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Boy, you weren't kidding around when you told me that you'd camped at a mud puddle in Nevada.

Great stuff, Tiffany!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #210
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Waltzing Thelma

Hey Tiff,

I got a charge out of the pictures of you and Thelma "dancing" in the sand. Interesting technique for sure. Don't remember seeing that one on the instructional video.

Reminded me of a late night in a local watering hole about 30 years ago when a rather large, and very drunk, woman "ordered me" to dance with her. Thelma looked to be much easier to lead.

Hope to see you at the MOA Natl. I was going to say "hello" at the Overland Expo ............. but everytime I saw you, you were either coming or going, or had a group of a dozen folks surrounding you.

Ride safe.

See you in Missouri. (it's a state ... sorta' like Omaha) Just kidding!!!!!! just kidding!!!!!!!

Rob