User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #271
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,069
Oregon and Tynda

I had a fantastic time being hosted by Alt Rider in Seattle for my talk- the beer was flowing and the people were enthusiastic. Then time to head south...
First stop was Portland where I stayed with friends and helped out at the Women's Training Day at the fire station (my friend is a fire fighter)

I mainly watched and took photos

And from a sunny Portland, I reached a rainy Oakridge, just east of Eugene (hummming bird in the rain)

where they were holding the Tynda Burning Moto Man Rally.

Eric getting things ready

And here is the famous Moto Man...before he is burnt

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #272
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Tynda Burning Moto Man

A great gathering of people, various travellers from different countries and they even let a few Yanks in. As always, the Aussies were the most vocal contingent
The event is hosted and organised by Eric and Gail Hawes (RTW motorcyclists), this amazing couple rode to Madagan in the early 90's! They play host to many travellers making their way across the Americas and they get their visitors to leave a sign on one of their signposts

Looking around, it was like a Who's Who of world travellers, a visitors' book with a difference.

I found one bloke examining Thelma

And then he showed me his handiwork, he had replaced Thelma's missing engine peep hole cover (there's probably a more technical name for it- any nerds reading this and want to respond, feel free). I didn't even get his name, but he used one off his own bike, which was a side car outfit...

Meanwhile someone else was getting to grips with Thelma's "pink bit"

First of all removing the offensive 100 decal and then making it black.

The riverside cheese and wine was popular albeit somewhat soggy

The sun was shining for the breakfast pancakes, as cooked by a colourful character

People gathered around eating them as fast as he coud cook

Thelma as always, providing a suitable flat surface for eating off

we had several talks and presentations, this was one from Ramey "Coach", who was talking to us about correct bike riding position...hmmm, there's a lot to think about

computer dying, more later

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 04:01 PM
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #273
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707

Who's that?

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #274
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

And then he showed me his handiwork, he had replaced Thelma's missing engine peep hole cover (there's probably a more technical name for it- any nerds reading this and want to respond, feel free). I didn't even get his name, but he used one off his own bike, which was a side car outfit...
Nerd response: Timing hole cover.....not much more technical. I like peep hole better!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #275
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Eek What can I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

Who's that?
Jamie- I promise to never post naked mountie photos on your RR again.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #276
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Tynda Dry

It started raining again, the rain gear was imaginative, varied and colourful

Trying to avoid the rain, we went to the local pub (any excuse to go to the pub), I enjoyed the notice in the window...do they know something that we don't??

I also enjoyed their suggested items to include in an emergency kit

I like the idea of the comfort/stress foods.

And then it got dark, it had stopped raining - what perfect timing, and we were able to enjoy the bonfire

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #277
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Just Call Me Da Vinci

The next morning was clear and bright, Eric and Gail said I couldn't leave until I had added my own sign to their signpost. Feeling a burst of inspiration, I grabbed the paint pots and set to work...

Thelma is doing her bit first

a bit more yellow paint

Then I started getting heckled by the Aussies

Thelma in action

Meanwhile, not wanting to be outshone Ken and Carol, the Aussies started working on their own sign,

their R80G/S has done over 400,000 miles!

I started my part of the sign

Whilst I was outin the sunshine, Thelma was being inspected in the garage

The finished product

And then the Aussies turned up with theirs!

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #278
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Onions and Insects

Riding through vineyards and fields of various vegetables, the weather got warmer as I headed inland, reaching this place

Walla Walla, home of the sweet onion and also home to Dan

A friend who first got in touch through ADV Rider three years ago, I said to him then that if I was ever passing, I'd drop by. A drink and a pastry in a very nice patisserie accompanied by an interesting tour of Walla Walla's main street and historic buildings. Then off again through eastern Oregon where I seemed to be a magnet for every flying insect known to man.

Hmmm, not sure if that photo did justice to the insects, but it was worth getting the picture done, if only for the amusement value in trying to get a passerby to realise that I wanted a picture that showed the insects on my visor and not one of the beautiful surroundings.

Then once more across the glaring desert that is known as Nevada, pausing only to say hello to the nice man at the petrol station in Wells and just before that to get a photo of the Jackpot sign

I'm not hanging around because I've got Bonneville in my sights

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #279
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
[QUOTE=Tiffany;19151956]Riding through vineyards and fields of various vegetables, the weather got warmer as I headed inland, reaching this place

Walla Walla, home of the sweet onion and also home to Dan

A friend who first got in touch through ADV Rider three years ago, I said to him then that if I was ever passing, I'd drop by. A drink and a pastry in a very nice patisserie accompanied by an interesting tour of Walla Walla's main street and historic buildings. Then off again through eastern Oregon where I seemed to be a magnet for every flying insect known to man.

The pleasure is all mine for sure!
Now that you know where it (Walla Walla) is, you can consider it your home away from home as you travel about, you are always welcome.
The best of luck on your two wheeled journey through life! (and for taking us along).
Dan; aka
greatnortoni
I don't always fall over - ?
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #280
KungFuManda
improving

Oddometer: 6
I am new to this forum and new to riding, and I just have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread! You have experienced so many interesting things on your journeys! Looking forward to reading more
KungFuManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #281
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Bmw moa

I'm currently at the MOA Rally in Sedalia, Missouri. Enjoying myself immesely and meeting lots of people, including many ADV Riders- hi to everyone that has come up and said hello so far. One more seminar (travel presentation) to give - tomorrow morning at 10.45am then I can relax.
Can't upload pics at the present but they will be coming - I took part in the GS Giants' competition over a massive trials course- a lot of fun.
Thank you to everyone for cheering me on

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #282
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuManda View Post
I am new to this forum and new to riding, and I just have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread! You have experienced so many interesting things on your journeys! Looking forward to reading more
I love your username, and thanks for your comments. Read on and enjoy.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #283
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Bloody Fantastic Bonnevile

You're going to enjoy this report, settle down with a cup of tea.
Thelma and I had reached the Bonneville Salt Flats, home to many motorbike land speed records and just simply a very cool place. I'd decided that I couldn't possibly leave America without visiting the flats.

We took off across the salt, at a reasonable speed initially as there was still mud under the hard salt crust, I was light enough to walk on it, but heavyweight Thelma was breaking through the salt and wallowing a bit in the clay-like mud underneath. Previous bike experiences on salt flats have taught me to be wary of the mud (Alon if you're reading this...Uyuni in 2003!)
I decided to off-load my bags and make the back end lighter, and then chucked my tank bag off as well, Thelma likes the freedom. I looked around and got my bearings...no one else in sight.
And then I just rode and rode, enjoying the experience of being on the salt

Thelma looks good with a white background

Our shadows were getting long,

it was time to retrieve the bags and find a camp spot, collecting bits of wood along the way.

I looked around, then rode and rode and rode....8 miles later and I realised that I really had not gotten my bearings very well and all the landmarks were so far away that it was deceptive. I could not find the cases and bag at all, I was riding round in circles desperately searching. I rode on, as it got darker with the bare comfort and knowledge that
a) I had my tent and camping gear in my topbox with me (along with a small bottle of cider), so I didn't need the cases again that night

b) because I had dropped off my tank bag with the cases, that at least had the GPS Spot Locator in it sending out a signal, and if all else failed I would have to go to the road in the morning and find someone to come with me with a smart phone (what a great invention) to track it down my bags via the spot locator on my website.

c) It would be amisung for the rest of the world to picture me searching for my bags

Finally as the gloom was deepening I spotted some dark shapes in the distance and raced over

to my joy there they were

as you can see I had literally just paused riding and dropped them off on either side of Thelma
I was so relieved I took a couple of pictures, I quite like the image of these bags abandoned on the salt flat

I parked Thelma with a piece of wood under her side stand as otherwise it would just sink into the salt and mud to a depth of 6-8 inches and be impossible to pick up again.
I decided to get a picture of us together with the full moon in the background - except that in the picture it looks quite small, it's above the mirror a white spot in the sky.
I set up the timer on the camera, then sat myself down...

Whoops, just as I sat down, Thelma started to fall over, the piece of wood ahd ade her too upright and the weight of the heavier case on the left side pulled her over

all amusingly caught on the timer delay of the camera as I rushed to get up

You can see where the rocker cover just embeds into the mud

and you can also see all the salt on her bash plate

Oh Dear

Cases off I started the long job of getting her upright, not usually an issue, but I had a full tank of petrol and we were in mud, which means that as I started taking Thelma's weight, I would just sink deeper and deeper into the mud the more I tried to lift her.
I managed to get the cases underneath her so that she was off her side a bit and the tyres were actually on the ground

and then I had to remove her fuel tank- that made her 22Kgs (49lbs) lighter, which makes a big difference to me. Finally she was upright once more.

Tank back on and we made our way out into the middle of the salt flat, about seven miles from solid land and put up my tent

There is a beautiful solitude about camping in the middle of a desert whether it's salt or sand. This was one of the most amazing nightsI have had in all my travels, I had the full moon and the stars above me and silence all around. I managed to get a camp fire going

and sat sipping my cider enjoying the night...

Didn't I tell you that you'd enjoy this instalment?

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #284
OneBall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I don't think I've ever seen a self shot, dropping the bike photo before, that's stonking .
OneBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #285
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,762
Just loved your salt flats adventure!