User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #361
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Talking

Yes, Tiffany, there are some funny names in the US of A, that's for sure. Sometimes they come about by "Americanization" of native American names for a geographic feature in the area. It's said by some that Parachute, Colorado is a mangling of a word in the Ute language, "pahchouc", that meant "twins" and referred to a stream that ran between two nearly identical mountains. Years ago I worked in a facility where we sent out all of the credit card statements for Sears, Roebuck, and Co for the entire Southeast US, and I still remember some of the unique names I saw on the addresses. My favorite was "Rising Fawn, Georgia."

Nice report, I'm definitely not snooz
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #362
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
Cheeky Sod
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #363
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,105
Come to Virginia. You can make a stop in Bumpass or if you prefer, Climax.....
Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #364
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 985
Laugh it gets worse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Come to Virginia. You can make a stop in Bumpass or if you prefer, Climax.....
I'm not responding to that one.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #365
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh I Missed my Vocation

Coming Up...The CowGirls of Texas

Central Fort Worth, and there are many museums, art galleries etc. For once, I was heading to one, I do have a bit of a reputation for not going to Arts stuff

but here was a museum I wanted to see

It's the Cow Girl Museum and National Hall of Fame. Things started well when the car park attendant and I got chatting here's someone with a Brit accent on his English, originally from Nigeria and who spotted from the map on Thelma's topbox that she had been very close to Nigeria. He let me park for free...Viva the Empire.

It's not very big, but it was a great museum with a lot of interetsing things in it, and it has air-conditioning. This is important, because Texas is HOT, VERY HOT. I came back outside, looked at the traffic building up and spotted an antidote to the heat on a bike.

Edging the kids out of the way, I stepped towards the water feature/fountain thing

and then just didn't stop

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 02:31 AM
Old 08-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #366
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Texan Wanderings

By the time I had negotiated my way out of town, I had almost dried off. I found a rest stop with WiFi and positioned myself near the Storm Shelter to catch up on my blogging

more sign posts (I took this picture for my friend who's surname is Marlin)

A cup of tea at a Czech place with these nice old dears, one of whom was in England as part of the D-Day landings, another who keeps a gun in every vehicle and AND every bathroom in his house.

a little side note, as I'd headed through Oklahoma the day before, I had thought about going to Tennessee to visit my friend Jamie Z but for some reason, as soon as I had got within 300 miles of his neck of the woods, he had set off in the opposite direction for a month long ride. I'm not taking it personally Jamie, but....

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #367
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
It was a treat having Tiffany relaxing here in small town America with her smiles, charm and great vegetarian cooking. And yeah, part of the house is 'rustic', sorta like checking into a Motel 3. Her Brit perspective shone through, like when we were watching some horseshoe players and she pointed out that they would score more goals if they put some English on the bent thing they were throwing..

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 01:51 PM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #368
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Manners, Ms Coates

RockyDog
my Mum would be appalled, I neglected to thank you on this public forum for such fine hospitality in your bustling metropolis, especially after I had slagged off your sitting room. Thank you from Thelma and me for providing such a warm welcome and comfortable respite, and providing a "sort-of" bed. The only bed I saw between Seattle and Austin, Texas.
Don't worry folks, I was washing and swimming in lakes and springs along the way

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 09:03 AM
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #369
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Wink Texans

In the carpark of a rest area, one of the workers explained to me their cunning plan to get rid of the birds that have the temerity to "poop" (such a Yank word!!) on people getting in and out of their cars.
Yes, it's a paper kite which they're flying over the area in the hope of scaring away other birds.

Do people in America sue because they get a bit of bird shit in them? Is it time to say "Welcome to the real world?"

More ramshackle houses, sometimes it's hard to work out if they are lived in or not.

In so many towns on this journey, I have seen the effects of the recession biting deep, abandoned properties, shops boarded up and a general air of despair amdst the disrepair. I have such a sense of privilege that I'm able to have choices in my life and I'm able to travel. Though it is on a very small budget and I suspect many people wouldn't consider just sleeping in a small tent wherever they can find a bit of space for it.

A night in a field, south of Fort Worth somewhere, I've been concerned about scorpions in my bike boots each morning, but the main problem here seemed to be the thousands of woodlice, they were crawling all over my sandals

and worse...inside my helmet

off to Austin where I had been recommended on these very pages to visit the swimmimng hole at Barton Springs. Wow- over 900 feet long, a lot of swimming area

A quick dip for me to cool down and then back on with the riding gear

A quick stop at Horsepower Farm to say Hi to the guys

Off to central Austin where I was due to stay with friends Sonny and Sammie, outside I was greeted by Sonny himself with his baby son, Dylan

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 12:33 AM
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #370
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Tiffany, I'm glad you made it to Texas!
I thought you were headed home without visiting. It would not be acceptable to tour the US and not visit Texas!
If we had known you were coming we could have turned the heat on!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #371
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
huh? you mean Texas is part of the USA?

Had a friend years ago who got picked up in Texas by the cops, just a routine check, and they were surprised all he had for ID was a passport. "Course I got a passport," he said. "I was going to Texas, wasn't I?"
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #372
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
ok Tiff inquireing minds need to know what is that on your belly button ?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #373
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Nosey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Man View Post
ok Tiff inquireing minds need to know what is that on your belly button ?
It's strictly on a need to know basis, and to my mind...you guys don't need to know

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #374
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Relaxing in Austin

The following day, I had a radio interview and so I spent some time preparing...first of all, re-doing my nail varnish

And was I pleased I'd done my nails, because that afternoon, we bumped into Mel Gibson at the supermarket (Wholefoods of course), and Sonny being Sonny, bowls up to him and introduces himself and me as well (doing the whole world bike traveller bit), I mumbled something, Mel mumbled something, we shook hands and went off in our opposite directions.

Texas and the land of cheap petrol, where you see billboards like this one

Sonny got his GS out and we headed into town.

We rode over to Horsepower Farm where I met Winslow, the owner, who showed me the Lunch with Tiffany Coates poster he had produced.

Whilst I got ready to give my talk, Thelma was introduced to the rest of the team. The guys in the workshop soon got to grips with her the guy standing up is the birthday boy.

"Miss Coates....that problem with your clutch...did you realise that your clutch adjuster bolt is a few centimetres shorter than it should be??"

I can explain that...it must have been after the nasty fall in Mongolia (long story where my boyfriend had to fly back to England to be operated on whilst I continued my journey). I remember the clutch bolt snapped when Thelma did her handstand, I had wondered what the Mongolian mechanics did to repair it. Hmmm, they obviously just filed it smooth and put it back in. I was donated a replacement bolt from Winslow's bike.
I had a great time with everyone at Horsepower Farm, the talk went well and the lunch stretched from 11.00am to 4.00pm at which point they practically had to carry me out still talking.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #375
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
... I had a great time with everyone at Horsepower Farm, the talk went well and the lunch stretched from 11.00am to 4.00pm at which point they practically had to carry me out still talking.
carry you out still talking?? No way, you're so introverted & quiet.