Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #466
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 990
Thumb Coming to England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Maybe next june in England.

Sounds good to me Marty- come early enough and you'll be able to go to the Isle of Man for the TT Races- an incredible event to go and experience. Bikes just take over the whole island and are warmly welcomed.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #467
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Last Camp Spot

Dragging myself away from the great hospitality of Atlanta, I rode north and found myself passing through seven States in 24 hours (and I wasn't even trying to!). My small map book was struggling to cope.

I found a wonderfully green camping spot, I think I was in one of the Virginias.

I had mixed feelings as I put up my tent, looking around and making the most of being outside, on the road. I was getting towards the end of my trip (had you noticed that the East Coast and the Atlantic Ocean were getting closer?)

I was aware that this was going to be my final night in my tent (unless things went wrong), I cracked open my half bottle of wine and toasted Thelma and my tent drinking a nice Shiraz out of my enamel mug.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #468
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,136
The colonies will miss you.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #469
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Things are quiet in Pennsylvania

You're not getting rid of me that easily Marty.
First I had to survive rural Pennsylvania and the home of Chris and Judy nicknamed the Bates Motel

it was a misty night as I pulled up

Inside the Bates Motel, things were pretty normal, Mom Judy was in her rocking chair, while her son Chris was lurking with the meat hook/sickle

The scary thing is...see that book in Judy's hands??

It looks like I'm probably related to them, especially when I looked inside the book and there was this picture

Charles is my Dad's name!

Actually, Chris and Judy proved to be fantastic hosts, Judy even made me some lovely food to prove it, although this was a very strange dish in my opinion

Beetroot in lime jelly (as a savoury dish)

Thelma and I had a bit of a clean up.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #470
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
tiffany loved the ambling!
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #471
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Hermy's

The house didn't look so scary in the daylight, Chris and Judy were great hosts - it' a typical Pennsylvanian farmhouse.

They let me out one evening and I headed to Hermy's BMW dealership where I gave a talk. Everyone there was very friendly and I had a great audience.

They were serving up hotdogs, but I was in luck as one of the staff is a vegan and she provided me with a yummy selection of food.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #472
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Rural Antics to Urban Guerilla

All too soon, it was time to depart, as I headed out onto the road, aware that this was my final long ride of the trip

I paused to grab a couple of photo opportunities in the woods on my way.

It's easy enough to head east until you reach the coast, and it's easy enough to find New York City as most the roads seemed to head there.
I had no map, no directions (not even the scribbled down and sellotaped to my petrol tank kind).

I found myself on a bridge

It was all starting to look familiar, although I've never been to New York (the only one of the World's major cities I'd not passed through), there are enough telly programmes that feature the city, that I could work out that I'd arrived, even without welcome to New York signs. I was too busy keeping an eye on the erratic driving of the vehicles around me to look for signs, although to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of congestion.

I took a random turning off the dual carriageway, finding myself in an area called Harlem...didn't they used to have a famous basketball team? I kept riding, and suddenly saw Lexington Avenue on a signpost- what luck, that's the street that my friend lives on, and here I was just stumbling upon it. However her address was a couple of thousand house numbers away- the American streets can be so unbelievably long
I rode and I rode

until finally I reached her building - she's a Brit who lives in a flat, with a good view (if you like looking at buildings)

I can't remember what they are, but one of them is the Chrysler building

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #473
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,136
Tiff, you have a way with words/pics and adventures. I, along with many others await your next adventure.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #474
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Loved the RR....thank you for sharing
Paddy
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #475
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Not Quite

Blimey, I'm still in New York on this RR and you're already writing me off

A couple more episodes to follow before I sign off on this one, but it's good to know you're paying attention and enjoying the story.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #476
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Thumb

Hi Tiffany! Glad you made it to NYC! You're thinking of the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team, which according to some reports actually began in Chicago and didn't play their first "home" game until 1968, some 40 years after they were founded! Harlem was also the site of the "Harlem Renaissance" in the 20's and 30's, which was a flowering of African American art, music, and literature. The Globetrotters are said to have used Harlem in their name because Harlem was then the center of African American culture.

In the shot showing you and your friend on the balcony, the building whose spire is lit up is the Chrysler Building if I recall correctly. The exterior is stunning up close.

If you're still in town you might want to enjoy a soda and a salad at the Lexington Candy Shop on the corner of Lexington and 83rd street. Established in the 20's as a candy store, it was remodeled in 1948 as a luncheonette and has not been changed since! It is reputed to be the last of its kind in the city. I've eaten there and the food was decent (although I had a coke and a burger, not a salad) and it is kind of cool stepping into the past. Times Square dazzles with its acres of giant TV screens and displays, too. Both are worth your time, and I'm sure your hostess has the full scoop on everything to see and do. Have fun and enjoy your time in The Big Apple.

Looking forward to your next postings on this trip!

Blader54 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 06:02 PM Reason: fergit ta mention Chrysler Bldg
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #477
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Great Nosh in New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hi Tiffany! Glad you made it to NYC! You're thinking of the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team, which according to some reports actually began in Chicago and didn't play their first "home" game until 1968, some 40 years after they were founded! Harlem was also the site of the "Harlem Renaissance" in the 20's and 30's, which was a flowering of African American art, music, and literature. The Globetrotters are said to have used Harlem in their name because Harlem was then the center of African American culture.

In the shot showing you and your friend on the balcony, the building whose spire is lit up is the Chrysler Building if I recall correctly. The exterior is stunning up close.

If you're still in town you might want to enjoy a soda and a salad at the Lexington Candy Shop on the corner of Lexington and 83rd street. Established in the 20's as a candy store, it was remodeled in 1948 as a luncheonette and has not been changed since! It is reputed to be the last of its kind in the city. I've eaten there and the food was decent (although I had a coke and a burger, not a salad) and it is kind of cool stepping into the past. Times Square dazzles with its acres of giant TV screens and displays, too. Both are worth your time, and I'm sure your hostess has the full scoop on everything to see and do. Have fun and enjoy your time in The Big Apple.

Looking forward to your next postings on this trip!
Thanks for all that Blader, I've left town so will be unable to try out the Lexington Candy Shop, maybe next time.
As for my hostess well...she's a Brit and so it was like being in an English version of Sex and the City (but without the sex I hasten to add!). She was frequenting bars and pubs with her Yank hubby in tow, while I attempted to keep up - bloody hell, their Irish friends took us to a place that was serving all night until 10.00am
I had retired to bed a lot earlier than that.I have to say that it felt very safe walkinga round on my own late at night- a big plus about any large city in my book

Meanwhile, whilst I was out and about sampling gin, Thelma was standing outside the block of flats for a few days, illegally in a parking slot without a meter ticket thing, (I know I'm going to be shot down in flames for that one) she was gaining some notoriety amongst the neighbours and curious passers by.

Actually I must confess, that bloke is a fellow Brit whom I'd last seen riding across the Salar De Uyuni on a KLR... 10 years ago - I have ways of tracking down people

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #478
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking NYC Lifestyle

A celebratory lunch, plus a glass or two of wine with the lovely Sabs (my host- think AB Fab's Joanna Lumley but 30 years younger)

I don't actually come from a motorcycling background, so Sabs, along with most of my friends has no concept about what is involved in bike travel, especially, my kind of travel where I'm wild camping most nights, something she finds frightening to even think about. But she's quick to suggest drinks and a toast to the completion of a successful journey.

That was before she saw the state of my room in her appartment...

It's worse than RockyDog's place (and I have to confess this is most definitely NOT a staged shot).
In my defence I was having to sort out all my kit, as the day was looming when I'd be taking Thelma to the shipping agent and so I had to decide which of my belongings went with Thelma and which I would be able to carry myself.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 10-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #479
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 793
Somehow I feel redeemed by that pic, Tiffany, ;) , all my junk got sorted into this...

I kinda miss the drill press in the 'dining' room, tho

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 04:33 PM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #480
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thanks for bringing us along Tiffany

Tiffany:

Great ride report. I have enjoyed every mile of it. Missed you talk at Alt Rider in Seattle, but feel like I know you anyway.
Best wishes on future travels.

Happy Trails

Paul
(wanderlost)
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote