ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
cosmickites OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, NY
Oddometer: 71
installing Uni Filter 1190 Adv., HOW TO?

Got the Uni filter for my 1190 adv. today and step 1 is, Remove Gas Tank.

Seems easy enough if i just knew the 100 steps that are needed to do to get to that point.

Anyone have a step by step to adding the uni filter?

thanks in advance
cosmickites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: New England USA
Oddometer: 141
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRnsOA9x7w
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
cosmickites OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, NY
Oddometer: 71
thank you
got tank off without issue and back on easier than i had expected.

glad i got this filter as i found small pebbles on the dirt side of the airbox. not a huge issue but not stoked to see that stuff in my airbox at all. the filter kit fit really nice without issue. guessing the R has a different airbox as the filter kit came with an airbox lid filter to fit between lid and box which will not fit the regular 1190.
cosmickites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.
 
Todd-Squad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The great state of Utah
Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickites View Post
thank you
got tank off without issue and back on easier than i had expected.

glad i got this filter as i found small pebbles on the dirt side of the airbox. not a huge issue but not stoked to see that stuff in my airbox at all. the filter kit fit really nice without issue. guessing the R has a different airbox as the filter kit came with an airbox lid filter to fit between lid and box which will not fit the regular 1190.
I think that lid filter is for the 2013 model. On the 2014 models they changed the lid to keep the dirt out.
__________________
A ride you say? When and Where?
My Favorite Pics
Todd-Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 457
They changed the lid on the 2014, but the 2014 uni kit still comes with a foam lid seal that fit perfectly on my 2014 R. You need to make sure that you get the 2013 uni kit for your 2013 or 2014 kit for your 2014. They are not the same.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
JBird
Retriever
 
JBird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Upstate, SC
Oddometer: 833
It is not the lid seal that is different - they are the same year to year. It is the main filter that is different between the 2013 and 2014.

I received a 2013 and Unifilter was good enough to send me the 2014 main filter which updated my entire kit.
__________________
JBird
KTM 1190R
KTM 950SMR
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
It is not the lid seal that is different - they are the same year to year. It is the main filter that is different between the 2013 and 2014.

I received a 2013 and Unifilter was good enough to send me the 2014 main filter which updated my entire kit.
Well there you go. I knew there was a difference somewhere!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickites View Post
Got the Uni filter for my 1190 adv. today and step 1 is, Remove Gas Tank.

Seems easy enough if i just knew the 100 steps that are needed to do to get to that point.

Anyone have a step by step to adding the uni filter?

thanks in advance
Where did you order your kit from??
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
cosmickites OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, NY
Oddometer: 71
bought filter from: UniFlow Australia: http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d321.html, scroll to bottom of page and that is the one i bought

the part i bought and was sent is called: KTM 1190 Adventure/R 2013-14 AU 1436 KIT

question: do you think this is the wrong filter?

is the airbox lid filter even needed? seems that the lid seals very nicely and the issue was dirt getting through the stock filter.

i await replies and ps: i hope i dont have to change filter again as i am not excited to remove all the plastics and gas tank again.
cosmickites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickites View Post
bought filter from: UniFlow Australia: http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d321.html, scroll to bottom of page and that is the one i bought

the part i bought and was sent is called: KTM 1190 Adventure/R 2013-14 AU 1436 KIT

question: do you think this is the wrong filter?

is the airbox lid filter even needed? seems that the lid seals very nicely and the issue was dirt getting through the stock filter.

i await replies and ps: i hope i dont have to change filter again as i am not excited to remove all the plastics and gas tank again.
That's the same place I got my kit from. It's waiting for me at home and when I get back I'm going to install it. Ill let everyone know.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Filterman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 47
Hi all, You do still need the dust seal when fitting this filter to the 2014 model. The only change between the two air boxes was a strengthening bar in front of the main air filter. The dust seal prevents dust coming through between the lid and base of the air box when the air box gets hot and distorts. The screws also don't tighten 100% once they have been removed a few times. The foam seal takes up this slack. Self tapping screws never tighten properly once they have been removed for the first time. Multiply this many times and they have even less effect. Especially in plastic.
Our part# AU 1436 KIT is designed to fit both the 2013 & 2014 models.

Cheers
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
TDsurf
Orange Flyer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: West Los Angelous
Oddometer: 76
uni fit

I have a AU 1429 kit that says 1190 adventure/r 2013/14.
The fitment of the oiled filter is a problem. Any info on this part number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Hi all, You do still need the dust seal when fitting this filter to the 2014 model. The only change between the two air boxes was a strengthening bar in front of the main air filter. The dust seal prevents dust coming through between the lid and base of the air box when the air box gets hot and distorts. The screws also don't tighten 100% once they have been removed a few times. The foam seal takes up this slack. Self tapping screws never tighten properly once they have been removed for the first time. Multiply this many times and they have even less effect. Especially in plastic.
Our part# AU 1436 KIT is designed to fit both the 2013 & 2014 models.

Cheers
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Filterman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
I have a AU 1429 kit that says 1190 adventure/r 2013/14.
The fitment of the oiled filter is a problem. Any info on this part number?
Hi When did you purchase this filter and where from? Originally we did label the old filter to suit both until we were advised there was a change to the air box. We do offer to send free of charge a replacement main filter for anyone who bought the part# AU 1429 KIT for there 2014 model. We discontinued the AU 1429KIT a few months ago. Please PM me with your information on when and where you purchased the filter so I can have it replaced if need be.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
cosmickites OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, NY
Oddometer: 71
i sent you a pm and have not heard back from you.
__________________
1190 Adventure
cosmickites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 463
I just installed mine and I had no issues. I wish they sent more than one sticker though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014