ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #1636
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Inputs? Currently a Super Tenere owner, considering a KTM - do I trade the Tenere NOW for a new 990R, or WAIT until the 1190 comes to the US and then get into one? i.e., if I get a 990R now, how likely will I be to trade it towards the 1190 in a year......?
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #1637
rvsparky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Get the 990r now. Put knobbies and soft bags on it. Then buy the 1190, leave the stock tires and put on hard luggage. SIMPLE
rvsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #1638
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Kind of interesting to me.

I bought a 2011 990 and so far since last August I've changed the following

Triple Clamp
Skid Plate
Shifter
Battery
Front Fender
Tires
Exhaust
Bar
Grips
Light Switch
headlight
footpegs
Clutch
Mirrors
HandGuards
Added rear fuel tank
Levers
rear sprocket
Clutch (Rekluse)
Aux front lights
Winch
This Winter
Larger Front tanks

Front Forks and Shock Reworked and extened

Seat Slimmed down so I can touch the ground with the taller setup.

So the point is by the time I'm done pretty much only the Frame, Engine and Transmission is going to be untouched so what's wrong with the canvas of these new bikes?

I think I could live with them.

As I posted on 09/24/12 I thought these were going to get the Job done and after reading the article I haven't changed my mind. All we need now is a couple of people by CJ to purchase them, allow him to borrow them for a while, work on the mods and I believe by the time I've worn out my 990 the 1190 will ready for the trail.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #1639
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
Stopped by the local dealer today and asked the sales guy about the 1190. I knew more about it because of this thread than he did. He did say he would rather get the 350 Freeride and would kill to get the Duke 200.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #1640
Meico640
Banned

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsparky View Post
Get the 990r now. Put knobbies and soft bags on it. Then buy the 1190, leave the stock tires and put on hard luggage. SIMPLE

wot he said !!!!
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #1641
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,432
I was pretty convinced I would get an 1190R but now that I've read the articles I'm leaning towards the non R model for the mapping and electronic suspension. My bike spends more time in sport touring mode than dirt mode and I'm excited to have the electronics more than the travel.

I'll admit the looks are growing on me but like when the 999 came out I sorta feel like they missed the mark to update or enhance an iconic design. It looks better in clay sadly. Like the 999 I'm sure it's going to work better but I sure wish it was sexier.

Gregor

sakurama screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 08:40 AM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #1642
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
I'll admit the looks are growing on me but like when the 999 came out I sorta feel like they missed the mark to update or enhance an iconic design. It looks better in clay sadly. Like the 999 I'm sure it's going to work better but I sure wish it was sexier.

Gregor
Exactly how I feel. Probably paint scheme could have a big impact on look, but the tank has a really guppy look to it...maybe aftermarket tank/fairing kit is all that's required...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1643
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I haven't seen pictures of a lot of clay bikes, but that 1190 did look good in clay, I agree. Maybe other color and decals could improve the look.

I think the non-R model will help attract new customers to KTM, who, like me, spend less time off-road, and therefore open the company to larger sales figures in a larger market. Although a lot of people buy BMW's, there are, I suspect, a lot of people like me looking for a way to avoid buying a BMW.

I find the 1190 Adventure, although more expensive than the 990 SMT, a lot more desirable. Longer range on a tank of fuel, more touring comfort, not too much more weight, same big suspension travel, and more power. After riding bikes with 21" and 17" front wheels, I find my present bike with the 19" front the most suitable compromise for me. So I'm happy to see it on this Adventure.

I envy those in Europe that don't have the long wait like we do in the US. On the other hand, sometimes we pay less.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #1644
muzungu62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I am sure this has been covered....... a recent post quotes 16,300 Euros. Any good estimates on US dollar cost?
muzungu62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1645
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzungu62 View Post
I am sure this has been covered....... a recent post quotes 16,300 Euros. Any good estimates on US dollar cost?
With all the added electronics I can see the bikes being around the $20K mark here in the states.
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #1646
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
but the tank has a really guppy look to it..
"V-Strom'esque" almost Flann.
The bike, in my eye, did loose the rally bike look but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. My biggest reservation is the lack of dealerships around here lately. We have had a few drop off the KTM grid.

That and Commander WP Barlow rides KTM and Im having a real hard time joining his team again after last Tuesday..........

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #1647
Pampera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Well, I've read the PR supplement in Bike (thanks to the person who posted it up) and here's my take on it.

It's an SM-T with a new engine and (optional) dirt suspension.

What I want to know is:

Is the sidestand still bolted to the engine?

I hate the relationship between the tank and the seat: how are you supposed to get your weight over the front without knackering yourself?

Apart from the claimed improved fuel efficiency and reduced service interval, I can't see a single improvement. It looks like the marketing department gave a brief to the engineers along the lines of: "Can you build a bike with does the best that the competition does, only better?"

Which they have done, but they've ended up with something that's just a slight improvement on the competition, but actually worse in terms of what the predecessor bike was best at.
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #1648
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

I wonder if the engine and tranny will fit my 990 frame? (You would think YES)

Replacing ECU's and wiring harnesses isn't that big of a deal (Done it on a couple of track bikes) so my 990 with a larger engine that can run on regular would be something I'd be willing to do.
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #1649
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampera View Post
Apart from the claimed improved fuel efficiency and reduced service interval, I can't see a single improvement. It looks like the marketing department gave a brief to the engineers along the lines of: "Can you build a bike with does the best that the competition does, only better?"

Which they have done, but they've ended up with something that's just a slight improvement on the competition, but actually worse in terms of what the predecessor bike was best at.

One way of looking at it.

Another is to say that they have improved the tarmac performance dramatically while preserving the original's off-road performance (with the R version).

A third, as I see it, is that they have taken a fresh look at the bike's "adventure" brief and decided to take a more mellow approach.

So: an engine that will pull taller gearing and feel more relaxed on the highway; more comfortable seating; roughly 35 per cent longer fuel range (more fuel and more fuel-efficient); tubeless tyres even in the 21/18 sizes; off-road ABS; off-road traction control; weight slightly down (i.e. same wet with more fuel).

To me it adds up to a more exploratory approach to the adventure thing, but with the performance still there - and possibly enhanced. Which (to me ) makes the bike much more attractive.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #1650
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,024
Still waiting for the smaller version (700-800cc)..,a friend of a friend saw a prototype...

ps....I miss the OC.....I'll be back (might be a year or two until the new models are available)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote