ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #1681
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
I am not comparing bikes so much as comparing model year price increases for same models to each other.
Most new and improved models go up 2-7% over previous models years. Like the improved 2013 FJR1300 is only $300.00 dollars more than previous 2012 model http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91462.html. Even BMW's new redesigned 1200 GSA is going from $18,350 to $21,005 US @ today's rate a 12.6% increase http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ces-51003.html.
While the difference from 2012 KTM 990R to 2013 1190R is $15,395 to 14,895euros which can be $ 18,989 @ todays exchange to $ 20,595 which it was quote at in Motorcycle online mag and the 'Bike' article http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ced-51002.html. Making it approx $4-5000.00 over current 2012 990R price which is approx 30% over its 2012 price. That is what I am saying. A reasonable increase for reasonable improvements, which is similar to other manufacturers in this market and economy.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #1682
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I spent a bit of time crawling all over the bike in Milan and talking to staff from KTM Austria. A lot of interesting stuff was covered and I will post up later (stuck in an airport at the moment......)

But the bottom line is that my 990 will be up for sale in a week or so and an 1190R is being ordered today ! For what I want - road riding, touring and 'gentle' off road - the 1190 will be fine !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Congrats! Did you get a delivery date from KTM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Uh oh....I hope this guy knows one pothole and the bike is going to explode like the old Ford Pinto!

Can't wait to hear about this! Totally psyched! Man that bike just looks awesome!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post20045252
Thanks for the link!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1683
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
A bit of feedback and comments after seeing the new 1190 in the fles at the Milan bike show earlier in the week.

Seat height

I run a 990 Adventure at the moment with the standard seat fitted. On that bike I am comfortable with the height - not on tiptoe but not footflat on the ground. On the 1190 R I am on tiptoe but still OK. On the 1190 I am foot flat on the floor.

Seats

The split level seat on the 1190 is quite wide and will, I suspect, be pretty comfortable on a long trip. Feels the same as the seat on the 690 Duke for 2012. The seat on the 1190 R is narrower and flat. Is made of a 'suede effect' material. May not be as comfortable as the standard model seat on a long trip but should be better than the standard 990 seat.

Riding position

Feels fine on both bikes. Standing on the pegs seems OK as well - I have bar risers fitted to the 990 but don't think I will need them on the 1190. On the 1190 R The seat is slim and it is easy to grip the sides of the seat with the inside of your legs.

1190 R seat

Servicing

The new bike has big service intervals - double those of the 990 (10,000 miles vs 4,500 miles). So it will go to the dealer half as often. Service times should be lower as there is less stuff to remove to get at the engine (4 bolts to remove the fuel tank apparently). Easy to view oil level tube and easy access to oil filler tube.

For me riding 10,000 miles a year I reckon it will save me 300 per year on servicing bills.

Engine running/fuel consumption

Obviously I have not ridden it but I spoke to an aftersales guy in Milan who works for KTM Austria and also someone from KTM UK who has ridden the bike. Fuel consumption should be noticeably better than the 990 despite the capacity hike. They said that, when they roe the bike, they were doing runs of up to 300km (nearly 200 miles) without the reserve light coming on. They did not do any complete 'full to empty' runs to find out the absolute range.

The new bike has a heavier crank and that apparently smooths out the bottom end running and 'snatchiness' of the 990 - they both said it was a great improvement.

ABS

The ABS on the 990 is now 6 years old. 6 years worth of development means the 1190 system is like chalk and cheese compared to the 990. On the 990 I have never 'tested' the ABS on the front but it is quite jerky when it kicks in on the rear. Supposed to be much better on the 1190.

Clocks

Lots of extra info on the digital clocks

Adjustable screen

Lower screen on 1190 R. LED lights surrounding headlamp

Taller screen on base model

Personally I don't think the exhaust looks too bad in the flesh

Akrapovic is a bit smaller

Discrete fittings for side cases

With bags fitted silencer is pretty much out of sight

One of the biggest criticisms is that the low level pipe and oil tank will not survive offroad and a better engine guard was needed

Well this was on the 1290 Superduke prototype bike on display and I reckon it will do the job pretty well

My overall thoughts ? I liked it. Come to think of it I liked it so much I ordered an 1190R yesterday ...................

Now just need to decide what to do with the 990 !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1684
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,556
The oil tank & header setup on the 1190 is very similar to the Super Moto R that I had. The SMT bash plate works for that.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1685
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,385
Thanks for the report Pebble. When do you think you'll take delivery?

Odd that it still says LC8 rather than RC8 on the cover.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #1686
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
The Dash and Muffler portion of the exhaust remind me of my Aprilia RSV4. That muffler/Cat package was heavy, heavy, heavy to the weight of over 12 LBS.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1687
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Thanks for the report Pebble. When do you think you'll take delivery?

Odd that it still says LC8 rather than RC8 on the cover.
In the uk we should see the bikes arriving in mid February next year.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #1688
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
Congrats Owen - I'll bet it's a great ride. Did u happen to option the Akra?
Any indicative pricing?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #1689
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
That is not a good angle. Looks like a snowmobile. I'm sure it is the wide angle lens.

Not a fan of the LEDs but it will probably grow on me. It doesn't add anything to performance and will be big $$$ to repair or replace if you brake it.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #1690
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
That is not a good angle. Looks like a snowmobile. I'm sure it is the wide angle lens.

Not a fan of the LEDs but it will probably grow on me. It doesn't add anything to performance and will be big $$$ to repair or replace if you brake it.

It'll b interesting to see how the LEDs do perform. Weather they are daytime runninglights or high beam like duallies?
As for stack damage I've dumped my 950 hard a few tines and the light is still in one piece. LEDs are more durable than filament as well
Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #1691
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Congrats Owen - I'll bet it's a great ride. Did u happen to option the Akra?
Any indicative pricing?
UK pricing is 13,195 for R and 12,595 for the standard model. Both prices are 'on the road' and include 20% tax.

Thinking about the Akra.....................

Old 11-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #1692
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
It'll b interesting to see how the LEDs do perform. Weather they are daytime runninglights or high beam like duallies?
As for stack damage I've dumped my 950 hard a few tines and the light is still in one piece. LEDs are more durable than filament as well
Dip/main beam lights are still traditional bulbs, just an LED strip around the lower part of the light assembly. They do not throw a lot of extra light onto the road, more just running lights to improve the bikes visibility to other road users.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #1693
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Hey Pebble,

Thanks for the report!.
Could you please tell me the main reason for choose the "R" instead the standard model?

I'm also ordered one here in Australia but I don't make my decision yet which one I want to have
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #1694
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Thinking about the Akra.....................
Get it, looks sweet.
Thanks for the report Pebble35, did you ask about rim width and tyres? I saw the Karoo 3 wil fit the very wide standard 1190 rims but I keep wondering how a 90/90-21 and 150/70-18 will fit a 2,5'' and 4,5'' rims...

Anyway, it seems I'll keep my 990 for a while so I'm not that concerned now; this year and 2013 don't look that good for me (I'm budget guy in my company so I should know ) After 4 years and a half owning a 990 I'm still in love with her so the good part is I already have my dream bike.
Oh, and I've just got my Renazco seat

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #1695
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Hey Pebble,

Thanks for the report!.
Could you please tell me the main reason for choose the "R" instead the standard model?

I'm also ordered one here in Australia but I don't make my decision yet which one I want to have
A couple of reasons behind choosing the R :

1. Not to keen on the colour options on the standard bike !

2. Prefer the 'flat' seat of the R - very little room to move around on the seat of the standard bike

3. Crashbars would need to be added to the standard bike if I went that way which would add to the price - included on the R

4. I felt comfortable with the extra height of the R (originally thought I might be forced to get the standard one because of the extra seat height on the R)

5. Did not feel I needed the extra complexities of the electronic suspension on the basic model. On my current 990 the only time I touch the suspension is to wind the preload up a bit on the rear when I load it with luggage, and then wind it back down after a trip !

6. Better tyre choice for offroad work. Always felt that a 21 inch wheel works better than a 19 inch wheel in most offroad situations.