Rgds,
D
DariusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #167
BRUNO BOTELHO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I don't like that exhaust system
The gasoline thank seems to be to high, like the GS and others...
The bike on the picture look's more road oriented.
Hope there is a real off-road version coming...

www.motoazores.com
BRUNO BOTELHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #168
Bootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
1290 imo

The bike in those images,is not the R version
you can see the 19 front wheel,
so it should be the 1290cc,more road oriented

it's a mistake of the italian magazine "in sella"but if you take a look to the LAST pic into the link,you'll see the one with orange frame,and...21 front wheel
THAT should be the new R

ciaooooooo
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #169
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
The bike in those images,is not the R version
you can see the 19 front wheel,
so it should be the 1290cc,more road oriented

it's a mistake of the italian magazine "in sella"but if you take a look to the LAST pic into the link,you'll see the one with orange frame,and...21 front wheel
THAT should be the new R

ciaooooooo
Yeah but I don't see any wind protection on the last pictured bike. Hopefully their not going back to the SE design with no wind protection at all. I know there are a lot of hard core SE folks out there but one of the down falls of the SE was no protection from the elements along with fuel range. I love the weight of the SE and thought all along it would be a great bike if............ Starting with the SE platform at just over 400 lbs and adding a few final touches it could have evolved into a spectaculor Adv bike and still come in at around 425lbs dry.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #170
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
As a dirt bike.....Not enough smooth off idle grunt, too tall, too heavy, too top heavy, hard to work on, the seat is miserable, very limited tire choices and there is no frame under the motor. Very vulnerable to crash damage.

As a street bike..........The seat is miserable, it is too tall and too top heavy, no wind protection, fuel range is ridiculous, too loud (motor and exhaust) limited tire choices....
While there's some truth to what you say, I'm perplexed how such a pos bike can be so much damn fun (28,000 miles on mine)

And to be fair, I've heard very similar comments expressed about the 950/990 Adventure by the infidels
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #171
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
"Who knows"......I do.

As a dirt bike.....Not enough smooth off idle grunt, too tall, too heavy, too top heavy, hard to work on, the seat is miserable, very limited tire choices and there is no frame under the motor. Very vulnerable to crash damage.

As a street bike..........The seat is miserable, it is too tall and too top heavy, no wind protection, fuel range is ridiculous, too loud (motor and exhaust) limited tire choices.

I owned a 990 ADV for a couple of years. I have friends who have owned ADV and SE. They are an absolute blast to ride........for a little while.
I can ride all day on the SE in total comfort.

Perhaps some here would be happier on a goldwing or in a cage.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #172
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
"who knows"......i do.

As a dirt bike.....not enough smooth off idle grunt, too tall, too heavy, too top heavy, hard to work on, the seat is miserable, very limited tire choices and there is no frame under the motor. Very vulnerable to crash damage.

you can't ride it, thats you. The se is no heavier than 650 of yester year, easy to work on, try working on a new husky with the new engine layout...tyres i'll give ya....engine protection is not the best.

as a street bike..........the seat is miserable, it is too tall and too top heavy, no wind protection, fuel range is ridiculous, too loud (motor and exhaust) limited tire choices.

fun street bike, even better with road hoops, fuel isnt an issue for me... 120 miles i can live with. Top heavy..no.

i owned a 990 adv for a couple of years. I have friends who have owned adv and se. They are an absolute blast to ride........for a little while.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #173
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I can ride all day on the SE in total comfort.

Perhaps some here would be happier on a goldwing or in a cage.
All Day in Total Comfort ? ? ? How big of a person are you........5' and 100 lbs ? ? ? I'm 6'8" and 320lbs, my son is 6'2" and 240lbs and we can get about 60 miles on an SE then our butt hurts so bad that we have to stop for at least 30 minutes. After 250 miles at highway speed your are truely wind whipped. As for being happy on a "Goldwing", HELL NO, but I do want to enjoy the back roads and not have to worry about fuel every 90 miles.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #174
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
All Day in Total Comfort ? ? ? How big of a person are you........5' and 100 lbs ? ? ? I'm 6'8" and 320lbs, my son is 6'2" and 240lbs and we can get about 60 miles on an SE then our butt hurts so bad that we have to stop for at least 30 minutes. After 250 miles at highway speed your are truely wind whipped.
misery {is a state of mind} goat. maybe he just sucks it up?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #175
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I can ride it all day too (not off-road). Highway too, I sit much more towards the back of the seat on the highway.
No it has got no wind protection but the riding wind is laminar.
My but is the last thing that will hurt on it.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #176
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All Day in Total Comfort ? ? ? How big of a person are you........5' and 100 lbs ? ? ? I'm 6'8" and 320lbs, my son is 6'2" and 240lbs and we can get about 60 miles on an SE then our butt hurts so bad that we have to stop for at least 30 minutes. After 250 miles at highway speed your are truely wind whipped. As for being happy on a "Goldwing", HELL NO, but I do want to enjoy the back roads and not have to worry about fuel every 90 miles.
The seat does wear in after a few 10k miles. Misery is a hard ass......I expect if you've done the kind of milage he has you get use to it....
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #177
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
The seat does wear in after a few 10k miles. Misery is a hard ass......I expect if you've done the kind of milage he has you get use to it....
I've been riding for over 30 years, got over 72000+ miles on the current bike. Why would I want to get used to pain in the first place. Back in the early 80's I raced off road (RM's, YZ's and TT's), had dual sport bikes, (XT's and XL's) as well as a highway bikes (Harley's Yamaha's, Victory's,ect.), never kept a bike that was uncomfortable or that I couldn't make comfortable. I enjoy Adventure riding. I ride my current R1150 GS Adventure up in the mountains, understand that I ride my bike, not trailor it up to where I want to ride, camp with my bike, single track with my bike, even chased cattle that were out, on my bike and I'm 50 years old, so don't tell me about getting used to milage someone else has done. Been there, done that ! ! ! The only reason I'm looking at a KTM now is my knee's are tired of the weight from my BMW and the KTM Adventure R is 150 lbs lighter than the BMW. If some of you guys want to ride with us old farts, come on down and keep up........ if you can.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #178
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
so don't tell me about getting used to milage someone else has done. Been there, done that ! ! !
I didnt think I was....try riding a on a horse for two days green....kills...after a week you get used to it...as misery did.
Now stop whinging you soft arssed baby crying faggot.... thats telling ya.....oh anytime you old git, you want dirt in ya face old man.....I'm ya man.

charlie264 screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 02:06 PM
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #179
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
I'm 5'10", 175#, and like long walks on the beech.

Oh and I have 250+ mile range on my SE (except at 15K feet in the Andes).

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #180
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I'm 5'10", 175#, and like long walks on the beech.

Oh and I have 250+ mile range on my SE (except at 15K feet in the Andes).
Did 4200 miles on my SE in 9 days, just a Renazco seat.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote