User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #2506
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Stock vs Akra exhaust vids

Short clip here of a production 1190 running on the sidestand.

I've posted it mainly because it shows the left side of the bike from close-up at eye height, which we've not seen a lot of before, and aesthetically the bike looks much better resolved. In fact, very nice.

But also, that bike appears to have the standard exhaust. Below is a short vid of another bike running stationary but with the Akra exhaust.

Does anybody know whether these run a servo-operated exhaust flap for noise reasons, a la BMW and Ducati?

Can't see where they'd have put it.

Would be nice if KTM had avoided that complication.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #2507
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I have recently ridden the new gs, the triumph explorer and 800, multistrada and now I am waiting for the 1190. As is stands if no 1190 came over Id be riding the triumph 800, it is a dynamite bike. But, This will be my next bike when they are available in the states.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #2508
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,202
I see there is 2 fans on the 1190. How much water does it hold?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #2509
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Short clip here of a production 1190 running on the sidestand.

But also, that bike appears to have the standard exhaust. Below is a short vid of another bike running stationary but with the Akra exhaust.

Does anybody know whether these run a servo-operated exhaust flap for noise reasons, a la BMW and Ducati?

Can't see where they'd have put it.

Would be nice if KTM had avoided that complication.
No servo operated exhaust flap on the 1190 .... and with akra the sound is fantastic and not too loud!
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #2510
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Yds there are 2 fans, oil cooler is on the right side, at a fairly airy spot. I hope that it keeps the temp stable at all times. By the way, finally yesterday heard the sound at N; definitely needs an akrapovic.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #2511
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
No servo operated exhaust flap on the 1190 .... and with akra the sound is fantastic and not too loud!
Thanks igor for the speedy reply. What good news. I wonder how KTM has done what the others couldn't.

Bike sounds surprisingly good to my ear with either pipe on those videos (and stock on the visordown ride vid) but the Akra version reminds uncannily of a Ducati (a good thing).
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #2512
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Sat on both today...

I didn't have the chance to test ride them yet because the dealers are in the process of putting the break-in miles on the two test bikes. They both feel like a touring bike in terms of sitting position.

They didn't remind me at all the big dirt bike feeling of my 990R. The sitting position is at least half a foot further back which makes for a more comfortable stance for long arms like mine but legs felt a bit cramped due to the design of the new tank.
I believe with my Pivot pegs at the lower position it'll be fine. My R is supposedly at 915mm seat height while the new R at 890mm but the later felt significantly lower for my 6'10", 40"+ inseam. Generally, it felt like I was riding a much smaller bike overall. Can't comment on weight...the bike looks and feels like its very well put together...I'll be right back with my experience of the test ride asap....
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #2513
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,985
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
I see there is 2 fans on the 1190. How much water does it hold?
Doesn't it use the same old radiator from the RC8 ? you already know that don't you ?
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #2514
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,202
Yes i know aobut the RC8R but the picture makes it look small? Would be interesting to know.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #2515
Joe Pichler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
Joe
I'd love to see some more photos and videos of you great trip in Africa! when are you going to post them?

At the moment I'm back in Austria. But on the 5th of May I'm flying to Madagaskar and then the story is going on again.

Joe
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #2516
ST4s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Exhaust, oil cooling and idle speed

Akra exhaust sounds better by far.... but I doubt legal in emission controlled regions. Does the idle sound a bit hectic to anyone else? Could just be cold idle speed but try to ride this in any type of technical dirt sections with that 1,600 RPM idle would be a challenge. That little oil cooler on the right side is a water oil heat exchanger not an air cooled oil radiator. I don't think KTM uses the exhaust valve. They can control noise emissions for testing by limited secondary throttle valve actuation like the 990 Adventure. Interesting bike. I hope KTM has considered crash protection in the design. If you drop a Multistrada 1200 in a parking lot you can damage over $1,000 in panels and parts...

Cheers
ST4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #2517
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
I have recently ridden the new gs, the triumph explorer and 800, multistrada and now I am waiting for the 1190. As is stands if no 1190 came over Id be riding the triumph 800, it is a dynamite bike. But, This will be my next bike when they are available in the states.
Without the expected high service costs of the new gs and the multistrada,
Without the huge weight of the triumph explorer,
Without the lack of low end torque of the triumph 800 and multistrada,
I am test riding the 1190 adventure first (ASAP in US), and then will see if any other test rides are desired.

On the other hand, out of all those bikes, I do like the factory cruise control availability on the triumph explorer, and the ability to fine tune settings of the selections on the multistrada electronic suspension.

Bottom line: the 1190 Adventure cannot get to the US soon enough for me.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2518
Orcaman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
1190 In the US?

When can we expect the 1190 to be available for sell in the US? Its my guess that very few of the 990 now at the dealership will sell, as many of us will sit tight and wait for the 1190
Orcaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #2519
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST4s View Post
Akra exhaust sounds better by far.... but I doubt legal in emission controlled regions. Does the idle sound a bit hectic to anyone else? Could just be cold idle speed but try to ride this in any type of technical dirt sections with that 1,600 RPM idle would be a challenge. That little oil cooler on the right side is a water oil heat exchanger not an air cooled oil radiator. I don't think KTM uses the exhaust valve. They can control noise emissions for testing by limited secondary throttle valve actuation like the 990 Adventure. Interesting bike. I hope KTM has considered crash protection in the design. If you drop a Multistrada 1200 in a parking lot you can damage over $1,000 in panels and parts...

Cheers
not complete protection but the grey/white triangular panels below either side of the bodywork below the tank are actually aluminium "skid plates"
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #2520
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST4s View Post

Cheers
not complete protection but the grey/white triangular panels below either side of the bodywork below the tank are actually aluminium "skid plates"

and those sound clips, it does'nt sound like a twin ???
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote