ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (>1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #2941
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I was expecting to buy the GpS bar from Touratech to install their gps holder with my 660, but TT has 4 8 weeks delivery; don't want tp wait further and started to consider the ktm mount, do you like it; do you think that it's safe? I have already lost one gps on my previous bikes, after a strong shake. :-))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #2942
lotus7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The KTM mount is plastic and dairly light but if their is weak pount I would say it is not the mount itselfbut the way the Garmin clips into the holder. There is also no security, you have to unclip the unit of you leave the bike unattended.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
lotus7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #2943
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
That's the spirit

I noticed from your sig that you're stocking Holan and Nomada gear.

They seem to have a 1190 rack/pannier combo in the making which utilizes the space over the muffler. Got any info on that yet?
OK, I'll answer my own question since I got the info from Holan.

They should have the kit ready in a couple of weeks.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #2944
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Bike arrives! (finally). Its at the dealer, but apparently, they are waiting for a "cable" or a code to turn the engine on!... anyone hear about this before?

Akra arrives as well, but the other items I ordered seems to arrive around end of May...
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #2945
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Bike arrives! (finally). Its at the dealer, but apparently, they are waiting for a "cable" or a code to turn the engine on!... anyone hear about this before?

Akra arrives as well, but the other items I ordered seems to arrive around end of May...
The same story was here; waited for a few days to see it running.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #2946
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus7 View Post
The KTM mount is plastic and dairly light but if their is weak pount I would say it is not the mount itselfbut the way the Garmin clips into the holder. There is also no security, you have to unclip the unit of you leave the bike unattended.

You are definitely right; the Garmin's mount can be the weakest point here. Heve you routed a charging connection; if yes, was it easy and hasslefree?

Anybody here purchased a tankbag?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #2947
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails_KTM View Post
Yep, as you can see on the forum several people already have Akra's, bash plates, luggage racks and bags (although I have only seen Touratechs and no original KTM luggage yet).
I've had the GPS holder for a few weeks now. See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=145.
How quick you get stuff probably also depends a little on the country you're in and how active your dealer is.
yeah, that's the kTm power part I'm waiting for. Ireland wouldn't be top of kTm's distribution list, 2 dealers in the country, so I might be waiting for a while. Thanks for the link, it looks great mounted above the speedo.

I also bought a Garmin 350 to replace my 2610. Did you need any additional parts to mount the gps? I'm looking at the mount on the kTm catalogue and trying to figure out if the Garmin mount will bolt straight onto the gps holder?

Thanks!

shay screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 09:09 AM
shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #2948
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post

Maybe just the code on the key. If its an empty bike, the ECU and Immo need to get connected before it can be turned on. I do not know if its done before it leaves the factory. They need to get the engine code and frame code.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #2949
GVWR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
They need a cable to connect their computer to your bike. Think that should be standard equipment for the dealer.

Had some issues by the way with the PP alarm, apparantly the unit is using too much power due to an error in the software of the alarm unit so the alarm might drain your battery and your bike won't start (happened to me twice after not using the bike for more than one day). Lesson learned: make sure to use the bike every day! ;-)

There seems to be a software update available for the alarm.

I've disconnected the alarm and put the bike on a charger, now everything is fine, hope to have a well functioning alarm after the software update of the alarm.

GVWR screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 01:54 PM
GVWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #2950
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus7 View Post

I have a Zumo 550 on a KTM mount fitted that attaches to the top of the handlebar clamp - works fine, easy to read (and a lot easier to reach if you need to fiddle with it on the go) and it is also a much cheaper option ....

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2951
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
OK, I'll answer my own question since I got the info from Holan.

They should have the kit ready in a couple of weeks.
Can you post details here when you know more please ?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #2952
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Well I've just got back from a 1,200 mile/3 day jaunt around France/ Belgium/Germany on my 1190R and thought it would be worth putting a few thoughts together to sum up how it performed.

First of all comfort - I am sitting here on the ferry after doing about 650 miles today - and I can still feel my backside. No neck pains and no wrist ache. I have done plenty of similar trips on the 990 and the 1190 was way more comfortable.

Fuel consumption was interesting. Cruising at a steady 80 mph would give an indicated 55 mpg. Drop to 70 and it went up to 60 mpg. Ramp the speed up to a steady 100 mph and it still did 45 mpg. Again way better than I could ever get out of the 990. 200 miles between fuel stops was the norm. On one occasion I pushed it to 240 miles and the on board fuel gauge said I still had 80 miles of fuel left. But after doing 240 miles the bike took 19 litres of fuel - so in theory it could have done another 40 or 50 miles comfortably by my calculations so a safe 280 mile range might be achievable with 'gentle' riding.

But on one occasion I filled with E10 fuel - 95 octane but with 10% ethanol. On that tank the mpg dropped by a good 10 to 15% and the performance was noticeably more sluggish.

On the subject of the 'fuel range' indicator I have to say it seems a little optimistic when the tank is full - at one point it was trying to tell me I could do over 400 miles on one tank .....so as it got low I was a little reluctant to trust it too closely.

The 1190 R is fitted with a low screen. Possible a bit too low as I was getting a bit of wind blast around the helmet. But not noisy buffeting like on the 990. It will be interesting to try the slightly taller screen from the standard bike on the next trip.

I managed to combine a mix of high speed motorway miles and a bit of tight and twisty stuff. Even with the 21 inch front wheel the handling was fine - stable and secure feeling in fast corners and able to stop well when needed.

Unwittingly I managed to find some gravel roads. Even with the standard continental trail attacks fitted the bike felt fine - but to be honest an RC8 would have managed to cover the same roads as well.

And the overall conclusion ? I have to say that, for what I want, the 1190 is just about perfect. Yes I need to add heated grips and a sump guard and a few other bits and pieces to get it just right but it is pretty close now. I wanted a long distance road touring bike that had the ability to handle gentle off road stuff as well and from what I have experienced so far the 1190 will do that.

Someone has said that the 1190 Adventure would be better named the '1190 Road Trip' - possibly not too bad a description but I don't care about the name, just what it does .................

Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #2953
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Has this been posted yet?

Great vid:
KTM 1190 Adventure (Aus-NZ Launch) Queenstown NZ
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #2954
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Saw the standard 1190 today for the first time. Orange looks better in the flesh than on photos. Nice bike, need AUD$25000!
Then you need the other bits as well, looks like a US $30k bike out the door with Accessories ? Wonder what the importers excuse is for Gouging us is ?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #2955
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Thanks for the write-up, Pebble. I love the news about the range. It sounds as though 450km is achievable even on the taller "R" if you take it easy, which is perfect. And extremely impressive if you were towing those panniers along on that trip.

Comfortable too? Sounds like a winner.