Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #2956
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
The "normal" version is just above AUD$23K out the door but you always want to add something and I guess it will quickly add up so I guess the R version with sump guard, pannier rack e.t.c. will be well in excess of AUD$25K.
Think it is out of my reach at the moment but nice to have something to dream about for the future, what would life be without dreams?
Congrats to all of you that are fortunate to get hold on one, both versions seems to be great bikes.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #2957
lotus7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
You are definitely right; the Garmin's mount can be the weakest point here. Heve you routed a charging connection; if yes, was it easy and hasslefree?

Anybody here purchased a tankbag?
The easy GPS power is from the cable to the accessory socket. Their are 2 spare female spade connectors and access simple from under the headlight.
This is fused at 10A and permanently on. As I use the Garmin as Bluetooth hub for my phone and headset I only need the power cable for charging, I bundled all the unused Garmin leads neatly and tie wrapped the bundle to the headlight harness. I was concerned that that the cables would drop down and risk being trapped in the forks.

I also have the tank bag and am quite pleased with it. Only downside is that it zips to the harness so is a bit of a fiddle.
Let me know if you have problems and I'll post up some pics.

Has anyone seen the KTM top box yet?
lotus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #2958
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Thanks a lot for the information Lotus, I have decided to order this today. I guess it will take another month until I receive it. :-(((
As tankbag, I was checking the Wolfman Explorer lite, as I used to have the OE one on my 990 and I remember wasn't so happy with the zipper either. :-)))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #2959
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Can you post details here when you know more please ?
They basically said they'll get a 1190 next week and they should have the pannier rack sorted out in a few weeks.

Pricing will be similar as for the 1200LC: http://holan.pl/en/product/388/2442/...O_do_1200GS_LC
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #2960
December6th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
the first 1190T to 1190R comparison video (german)

here is a link to improve your capability to understand your KTM in it's language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt4Mw1v2c4U

Basically they recommend the 1190T for the street and the 1190R for off road.
Their guess is that several people got the 1190R for the "looks" and than ride it on the street only which they consider choosing the wrong bike.
December6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #2961
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
That's the spirit

I noticed from your sig that you're stocking Holan and Nomada gear.

They seem to have a 1190 rack/pannier combo in the making which utilizes the space over the muffler. Got any info on that yet?

Quote:
Can you post details here when you know more please ?

Since the Holan company is around 200 km away, I visit them quiet often.
Plus the boss of company is my riding buddy so probably I know some extra details on all upcoming products
When we saw the 1190 for the second time on the local bike expo, we had a bit more time to look more carefully then on Intermot where were dozens of people around
So here are some interesting facts we noticed:
the reason why Touratech made a combo of 31L+45L side panniers is not the big exhaust silencer, but the location of the the headers/swingarm and the angle of the cut on the pannier with cut. this set can be found in powerparts catalogue, I believe this is exactly the same combo that was used by Joe Pichler in his African trip on 1190R
as some of you have already noticed on the Touratech website they already have the combo of 38L+45L side panniers, I'm almost 100% sure that this became possible only with help of moving the panniers even more away from the bike, so making the bike even more wide and still having the the asymmetrical look that ruins the design of the bike (IMHO)
since the bike is meant to be real all purpose machine, the width of the rear is very important (especially during city riding or tight off road sections) and this is the part of the Holan philosophy
on the current moment there are 2 projects of side pannier rack, both of course has cut on the right pannier (exhaust silencer side) and here are the details about the left side:
1. completely symmetrical - this means the left side pannier will have the same volume
2. asymmetrical - the right side will be a size more (38 or 45L with cut) and the left side pannier will be a size smaller (31 or 38L respectively), in this case there will be enough space for mounting a Rotopax canister from the inside side of the left pannier wall (lets say near the rear wheel, symmetrically to exhaust silencer)

the problem that there is still no ready panniers set from Holan is that they didn't receive a bike yet (new BMW Wasserboxer arrived faster to them)
If I receive my 1190 faster then Holan - I'll give it to them to make all range of products as fast as possible
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #2962
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Since the Holan company is around 200 km away, I visit them quiet often.
Plus the boss of company is my riding buddy so probably I know some extra details on all upcoming products
When we saw the 1190 for the second time on the local bike expo, we had a bit more time to look more carefully then on Intermot where were dozens of people around
So here are some interesting facts we noticed:
the reason why Touratech made a combo of 31L+45L side panniers is not the big exhaust silencer, but the location of the the headers/swingarm and the angle of the cut on the pannier with cut. this set can be found in powerparts catalogue, I believe this is exactly the same combo that was used by Joe Pichler in his African trip on 1190R
as some of you have already noticed on the Touratech website they already have the combo of 38L+45L side panniers, I'm almost 100% sure that this became possible only with help of moving the panniers even more away from the bike, so making the bike even more wide and still having the the asymmetrical look that ruins the design of the bike (IMHO)
since the bike is meant to be real all purpose machine, the width of the rear is very important (especially during city riding or tight off road sections) and this is the part of the Holan philosophy
on the current moment there are 2 projects of side pannier rack, both of course has cut on the right pannier (exhaust silencer side) and here are the details about the left side:
1. completely symmetrical - this means the left side pannier will have the same volume
2. asymmetrical - the right side will be a size more (38 or 45L with cut) and the left side pannier will be a size smaller (31 or 38L respectively), in this case there will be enough space for mounting a Rotopax canister from the inside side of the left pannier wall (lets say near the rear wheel, symmetrically to exhaust silencer)

the problem that there is still no ready panniers set from Holan is that they didn't receive a bike yet (new BMW Wasserboxer arrived faster to them)
If I receive my 1190 faster then Holan - I'll give it to them to make all range of products as fast as possible
That's great info. Thank you, Sir
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #2963
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
I wanted a long distance road touring bike that had the ability to handle gentle off road stuff as well and from what I have experienced so far the 1190 will do that...

Thanks for your review!

Could you tell my why did you choose the R vs the standard regarding the use you give to the bike?

Most part of the users are 90% road oriented with minimal or 'soft' offroad but the best seller seems to be the R. ..
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #2964
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
I have ridden both. The best way to look at the differences would be to say that the standard 1190 feels close to being a big engined SMT - seems to encourage (and be capable of) high speed road riding. The 1190 R feels a lot closer to the 990 Adventure. Slower steering and, for me, the 21 inch front wheel encourages me to slow down a little ! Essential if you need your license for work .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thx for the info!
Gotta try the R then, the regular dissapointed me when comparing it to the 950S. Felt like a pure roadbike with a killer engine and killer brakes.
Hope the R brings the offroad beast feeling back, if not i'm gonna start looking for a 990R instead. Even on the roadtrips my 950S is way more fun to me then the 1190. Comfortable enough and plenty fast for public roads. Rather throw in a set of raodwheels and tires then to cough up 14k+ for a bike that feels like a downgrade in funfactor.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #2965
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rompe View Post
Thanks for your review!

Could you tell my why did you choose the R vs the standard regarding the use you give to the bike?

Most part of the users are 90% road oriented with minimal or 'soft' offroad but the best seller seems to be the R. ..
I think I chose the R because I preferred the looks, the wheel and tyre sizing probably makes the bike a bit slower (good for my licence/job !), and, if I want to go offroad more seriously, there is a better choice of tyres out there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #2966
ducatistadore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
hmmmm

That non-R model sure looks bloody UGLY .... Specially with that giant exhaust!!!

ducatistadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #2967
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatistadore View Post
That non-R model sure looks bloody UGLY .... Specially with that giant exhaust!!!

ghead: howcome they can do both versions so distinctive? Yes, the R looks really beautiful. :-)))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #2968
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,521
I had a look at both the 1190s at my local dealer today. Just arrived and all new smell, shiney, etc. Ive gotta say the thing that kept bothering me was the exhaust system that wraps under the motor just like the 990 SD which along with the oil tank seriously limits the ground clearance. Changing or modifying the headers wont help as the oil tank is still way down low.
Up until seeing it in the flesh I was very keen but that was a deal breaker for me. Everything else was nicely done, very nicely. Those couple of things were enough to take my name off the test ride list.
Long live the 950 (heres hoping)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #2969
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Surely you just fit the KTM bash plate?

Why would you not take the chance to test ride? I'll ride pretty much any bike put in front of me!
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #2970
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Did you need any additional parts to mount the gps? I'm looking at the mount on the kTm catalogue and trying to figure out if the Garmin mount will bolt straight onto the gps holder?
Yes, the Garmin mount should bolt straight on with the parts that are in the Garmin box. The dealer did this for me though. I figure since I bought everything new, when there is a failure it will be their problem.

Took my 1190 in for first service today. There is a wear on the side of the chain, but the dealer didn't think this was a problem. I also had a slight coolant leak where a tube meets the radiator and they fixed that.

Apparanty, there is an update for the ECM so they flashed it (don't know what this should fix).
I was going to get new, longer keys that would work better with the KTM luggage (which I don't have) but the keys were delayed so I'll get them later.
Finally, they fitted a new slightly heavier spring for the sidestand. I thought the stock spring was already a bit heavy when putting out the sidestand. But I guess some people had issues with it.

I'm pretty happy with the attention from KTM. With my 990 SM T, I complained about several annoying issues but they were never fixed. Couldn't be happier with the 1190 Adventure so far!
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote