Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #2986
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIP-IT View Post
I have just taken my new 1190R out for it's first bit of offroad and gravel, got to say, rather disappointed in the suspension, even after playing with the adjustments and settings, no where near as good as my 990R, I guess that 220mm travel is no match for the 990R with 265mm travel!
before the 1190 R I had a 990 adv 2010 and I have to say that I found the new R much better then the 990 off road, better suspension and much better motor, easyer to handle. bur I've never tried de 990 R.....

Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #2987
BLIP-IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
IMO, 45mm travel will make a difference if it is taken advantage of through the fitting of softer springs, so that the extra travel can be used.

On softer springs, the ride on the longer travel bike will feel more compliant.

If the springs are the same rate, then the extra travel won't be noticed (unless your problems with the 1190 arose from the suspension bottoming out). That is, you will simply have more in reserve, but the ride will feel the same.

So, perhaps there are other differences aside from the extra available travel.

In what way was the 1190 inferior?

Interesting report. Thanks for posting.
I managed to bottom both front and back out on a little jump that the 990 would have taken in it's stride without even blinking. The suspension is also harsh on the smaller bumps and ruts that I don't even feel on the 990, the 990 uses it's extra travel to soak up these smaller bumps and then of course it never bottoms out on the big stuff. When I bottomed the rear out on the 1190R it even left tyre marks on the inside of the rear fender!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #2988
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
The 1190R.....

If I were you I'd get rid of the POS! I hear there's a place just south of Seattle that does recycling......let me know if you need an address to ship it to!

Quote:
I managed to bottom both front and back out on a little jump that the 990 would have taken in it's stride without even blinking. The suspension is also harsh on the smaller bumps and ruts that I don't even feel on the 990, the 990 uses it's extra travel to soak up these smaller bumps and then of course it never bottoms out on the big stuff. When I bottomed the rear out on the 1190R it even left tyre marks on the inside of the rear fender!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #2989
BLIP-IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Yesterday I completed my first "off-road" trip on the 1190R........................................mysel f and a friend also on an 1190R decided to go and put them through their paces.
The good news is that the bike is very capable, it climbs anything you point it at, the power delivery is amazing and sometimes even scary! The handling, balance and stability of the bike is exceptionally good, it is easy to ride in the tight stuff and inspires great confidence.
Comparing to my 990R it does just about everything better accept for 2 things, it does not sound as good as those twin Akros do ( a problem that can be addressed)..........................and lastly and more seriously the suspension is far inferior to the 990R when it comes to ride comfort and suspension travel. The 990R absorbs all the imperfections in the road, all the small bumps, ruts and corrugations are eaten up by the 990R and the rider isn't even aware that they were there, the 1190R doesn't, you know they are there. I managed to bottom both front and rear suspension on little jumps that the 990R would take in its stride without a fuss.
I was expecting that this would be the case all along, so I am not surprised, the suspension specs when compared will tell you this................990R 265mm travel, 1190R 220mm travel.
The ground clearance of the 1190 is also less than the 990R but this was not an issue so far.
Those of you who are serious off-road riders and push your bikes to the limit will not be able to on this bike, it's suspension is it's only limiting factor! When the going gets tough and extreme the 990R is still king!! The 990R has the clearance and the extra travel on the suspension which allows you to tackle more challenging and rougher trails at a higher more aggressive pace!

My friend Eddie with his new 1190R.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #2990
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
very nice pics!
what tires do you have on? do they work well?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #2991
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,457
I would assume you can udate the suspension via stiffer springs and heavier weight oil etc for more aggressive riding. I would buy a 500 EXC for that type of riding . . . 1190R for everything else.

Looking forward to USA getting the 1190's . . . Maybe they will stiffen the 1190R up for 2014 model year?

Still . . . It is tempting to grab a leftover 990R . . .

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #2992
BLIP-IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
I would assume you can udate the suspension via stiffer springs and heavier weight oil etc for more aggressive riding. I would buy a 500 EXC for that type of riding . . . 1190R for everything else.

Looking forward to USA getting the 1190's . . . Maybe they will stiffen the 1190R up for 2014 model year?

Still . . . It is tempting to grab a leftover 990R . . .
Grab the 990R it is and always will be a legend!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #2993
bunnyDrug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Talking

No sure if this is helpful to anyone... But I was at the Launch. Hopefully someone finds these pictures useful/interesting.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1k&usp=sharing

bunnyDrug screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 12:41 PM
bunnyDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #2994
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbercow80 View Post
It is actually a new diagnostic tool (looks a bit like a laptop) the bikes have been shipped in "sleep mode" and need to be woken up using a code. I also believe it was remiss of KTM to ship the bikes and not tell the dealers that the tool was needed. The tool is also not cheap and is a cost to dealers. Our dealership has seven new 1190's sitting waiting to be delivered......not a good result for us or the customers. My 1190R is among them so I feel your pain. They have had to be sent road freight as the rules have changed about sending Lithium batteries via airfreight.....Anzac day public holiday in the middle of the week and the distance from Perth has added to the delays.Trust me not one dealership wants to delay your pickup as any pre sales go on a short floor plan. Hopefully everyone will be riding their bikes next week and this great weather will last a bit longer.
In the UK the dealers had to send at least one tech on an 1190 specific training course before the new diagnostic tool was released. And if the dealer did not have the tool they got no 1190's to sell ......................

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #2995
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
As far as I noticed, the suspension travel varied from year to year on the 990.
Last year the 990 R had 245 mm front and rear.

The 1190 R has 210 mm in front and 220 mm in the rear, if the specs on the KTM site are right.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #2996
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
Quote:
Grab the 990R it is and always will be a legend!
Forget the 990R, the real hero bike is the 950S that has real 265mm travel, not the short 990R

Seriously, suspension travel and performance are things that are easily (if not too inexpensively) "fixable" to provide exactly what the owner wants.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #2997
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,165
Instead of this bashing on old vs nevv....
VVould it be possible to mix the bikes? Could vve pick up some used 950 S suspension and SPS the shit out of them and mount it to the 1190R(S). VVhy not, there vvon´t be long before everybody starts to farkle the crap out of it anyvvays.

Yes my 2xV is out of order...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #2998
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
.....and lastly and more seriously the suspension is far inferior to the 990R when it comes to ride comfort and suspension travel. The 990R absorbs all the imperfections in the road, all the small bumps, ruts and corrugations are eaten up by the 990R and the rider isn't even aware that they were there, the 1190R doesn't, you know they are there. I managed to bottom both front and rear suspension on little jumps that the 990R would take in its stride without a fuss.
I was expecting that this would be the case all along, so I am not surprised, the suspension specs when compared will tell you this................990R 265mm travel, 1190R 220mm travel.

Thanks for the details and great pix. Interesting.

Your 990R has about 20 per cent more travel, which all else equal permits 20 per cent softer springing or 20 per cent more resistance to bottoming with similar springing.

It would be helpful to know what springs were in each of the bikes.

Nevertheless, on travel alone, you would expect the 1190 to be either a little harsher on the small stuff or a bit undersprung for the big stuff, by comparison, but not both.

Does your 1190R have superior valving for your use? That is what it is sounding like to me.

I'd be disappointed if they have wimped out on suspension quality, especially as it does not make a lot of sense for them to do so. I imagine all the same bits are in there, so it is just a matter of spec, which obviously they can do.

Perhaps they have gone more for an on-tarmac bias.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #2999
hagenp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Forget the 990R, the real hero bike is the 950S that has real 265mm travel, not the short 990R

Seriously, suspension travel and performance are things that are easily (if not too inexpensively) "fixable" to provide exactly what the owner wants.
That is not true! The 2009 and 2010 990R had also 265mm suspension! From 2011 they went down again to 245mm! I had both!
hagenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #3000
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Sorry if I missed this but does anyone know if the fuel pump still resides in the tank, or whether the filter plugging issues have been addressed? Yes, I know any filter can plug up with bad fuel, but the 990 seems particularly susceptible to problems here, in my limited view of having filter problems with mine and none of the other couple dozen bikes I have owned.