Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #3061
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
today finally I was able to ride properly the bike. As Umitc mentioned a few post before, the left side feels quite hot. Specially at low speed.
Also I noticed (not sure if that happened to all bikes) but a couple of times today (at red lights) by mistake I release the clutch too fast and the bike turns off, when I tried to start the engine again, was quite difficult an seems like the battery runs out...

Instead of that, great bike!
Where you riding R or standard version?
I also felt heat but I'd say just under the seat, the positive side is you don't need to order heated seat option - it's already there
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #3062
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Where you riding R or standard version?
I also felt heat but I'd say just under the seat, the positive side is you don't need to order heated seat option - it's already there
Mine is the R. Do you know how can I test the battery?
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #3063
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Mine is the R. Do you know how can I test the battery?
For a basic test you need at least voltmeter. Who knows, maybe the build in voltmeter shows incorrect info.
Connect the voltmeter to the battery while the engine is not running, if voltmeter is showing less then 11.90 volts then the battery is dead.
Then start the engine and it should be at least 13.8, if you have less then the problem can be in alternator, regulator or cables (I'd go to the KTM service since the bike is new and on warranty).
If you have battery charger you can also try to take battery of the bike and charge the battery separately to at least 13 and something volts, then connect back to the bike, leave it for a while (2-3 hours) and then check if the battery has cca the same amount of volts. If it dropped significantly - then you have a parasitic drain somewhere in the cables
I prefer to do some basic checks like this personally and then if it becomes harder - go to the service

After I used the 1190 for 1000 km I can say that according to board computer I had almost all the time 14.0 volts, only when low beam was turning on automatically it dropped to 13.9 volts
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders

bigboyxl screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 03:20 AM
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #3064
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
Another good point was fuel consumption- I was averaging 43.5mpg all the way through Spain at quite high speeds.... When we were filling up, I had 40 miles left on the tacho range, whilst my mate on his R1200gs Adventure had 70. His tank is 33 litres, so I was quite happy with that!!!
I guess you were both fuelling up at the same time ? Was the GS using much more fuel to cover the same distance ?

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #3065
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 604
I'm probably getting my 1190 this week

Does anybody know if the OEM tankbag needs to be removed when filling up? Would that entail unzipping from the base? Any better large capacity tankbag options available yet?

Also, is there an electrical diagram of the bike available? I want to check out options to fit self built alarm and aftermarket spots...
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #3066
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I guess you were both fuelling up at the same time ? Was the GS using much more fuel to cover the same distance ?
Yes, filling up at exactly the same time. The GS was using about 1L more for every 20L. I was having more fun with speed too!!!!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #3067
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I'm probably getting my 1190 this week

Does anybody know if the OEM tankbag needs to be removed when filling up? Would that entail unzipping from the base? Any better large capacity tankbag options available yet?

Also, is there an electrical diagram of the bike available? I want to check out options to fit self built alarm and aftermarket spots...
The Ktm tank bag needs unclipping and lifting when filling up. It's very easy, I found it very good for my trip...
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #3068
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
The Ktm tank bag needs unclipping and lifting when filling up. It's very easy, I found it very good for my trip...
thanks!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #3069
Pedrogomezrios
Quiet

Oddometer: 27
The 1190 R has arrived to Colombia, unfortunately with a price of USD $31.945 dollars vs the new r1200 gs which is USD $34.945 ... To high for some of us

@PedroGomezRios
Pedrogomezrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #3070
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
For a basic test you need at least voltmeter. Who knows, maybe the build in voltmeter shows incorrect info.
Connect the voltmeter to the battery while the engine is not running, if voltmeter is showing less then 11.90 volts then the battery is dead.
Then start the engine and it should be at least 13.8, if you have less then the problem can be in alternator, regulator or cables (I'd go to the KTM service since the bike is new and on warranty).
If you have battery charger you can also try to take battery of the bike and charge the battery separately to at least 13 and something volts, then connect back to the bike, leave it for a while (2-3 hours) and then check if the battery has cca the same amount of volts. If it dropped significantly - then you have a parasitic drain somewhere in the cables
I prefer to do some basic checks like this personally and then if it becomes harder - go to the service

After I used the 1190 for 1000 km I can say that according to board computer I had almost all the time 14.0 volts, only when low beam was turning on automatically it dropped to 13.9 volts
thank you for the info.
I was at the dealer today, they told me at the 1000 Km's revision they will look that, or early if still doing that.. Let's wait
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #3071
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Any other 1990 owner in Brisbane?
Or KTM adventures! I only know two other rides but are BMW's and never have time to ride!
I'm looking for new friends
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #3072
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
The 1190 R has arrived to Colombia, unfortunately with a price of USD $31.945 dollars vs the new r1200 gs which is USD $34.945 ... To high for some of us

Sell your house or a kidney and buy that bike! I warranty you will never regret
Old 05-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #3073
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
today finally I was able to ride properly the bike. As Umitc mentioned a few post before, the left side feels quite hot. Specially at low speed.
and these are still good days with 20s C; can't imagine summer time. In the weekend rode the bike on trail with enduro boots and guards, didn't feel the heat much. I guess this is where KTM mistakes, all of their engineers or test riders wear full leather suits with thick boots:):):):) so for them no problem to fix.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #3074
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
I'm sure that if you try without the top box the bike will be much more stable.
In my case I got a slight wave effect at 150 mph when decelerating only.
(at 150 mph the engine was still pushing a lot, I don't want to know how fast this bike can be....)
will be possible to instal a steering stabiliser on the 1190?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #3075
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
will be possible to instal a steering stabiliser on the 1190?
there is a steering stabilizer already ....