ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #3196
Tancakar
Banned

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Well I rode the 1190 today , road only but with some good twisty bits.
I asked the store to put it in Sport mode for engine map and suspension, I wanted to get a good idea of the engines performance. My ride thoughts are as follows:-

1) Screen too short in highest position and wind noise was almost the same as my Ducati Multi Strada.
2) The suspension felt very good, I liked it and this was the firm setting.
3) Motor was strong, not as strong as the Multi but not far off. Throttle was a little to sudden for my liking made it a little hard to just cruise.
4) Back brake worked, and the fronts were good !
5) Very flickable nice feel on the road.
6) Contol panel hard to read when changing settings, the black highlighted item made it hard to read.
7) Seat hard, might be OK they do make a softer one.
8) Felt like I was sitting on top of the bike, this is after riding the Multi which feels like you are sitting in the bike.
9) Clutch very very light.

I rode for about 45 minutes got on some tight backroads and felt very confident straight away, finish on the bike was great . I am pricing up Panniers , Heated Grips , top box and GPS mount, also larger screen. Seems this will add another $3,000 to the price tag.

Would be nice if KTM had included Cruise control, Australia has large distances between towns. I did note how long the swing arm is , and the long nylon chain guide, wondering how this will effect chain life and crud ?

Now to test the GSW.
Ok but there are to different types of 1190 one is adventure the other is adventurer ? Which one you rode? I test ridden the adventure and the screen was fantastic ? Cruise control should have been fantastic but the bike made in Austria and they don't need cruise controls there that's why I guess they don't get it?
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #3197
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Not read a bad report yet about the new bike. Which is starting to annoy me as I'm thinking of chopping in my 950 for the new one

Saying that the new one will have to be a hell of a bike to beat my 950 and justify to me the massive cost of upgrading.

We shall see.......
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #3198
Tancakar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Not read a bad report yet about the new bike. Which is starting to annoy me as I'm thinking of chopping in my 950 for the new one

Saying that the new one will have to be a hell of a bike to beat my 950 and justify to me the massive cost of upgrading.

We shall see.......
You will love it . It's worth the money
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #3199
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Sounds good but is it a that much better if at all than a 950 which is an awesome bike.?
Not sure it will be but intend to find out ;-)

Keep the reports coming :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #3200
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Well I rode the 1190 Adventure today , road only but with some good twisty bits.
I asked the store to put it in Sport mode for engine map and suspension, I wanted to get a good idea of the engines performance. My ride thoughts are as follows:-

1) Screen too short in highest position and wind noise was almost the same as my Ducati Multi Strada.
2) The suspension felt very good, I liked it and this was the firm setting.
3) Motor was strong, not as strong as the Multi but not far off. Throttle was a little to sudden for my liking made it a little hard to just cruise.
4) Back brake worked, and the fronts were good !
5) Very flickable nice feel on the road.
6) Contol panel hard to read when changing settings, the black highlighted item made it hard to read.
7) Seat hard, might be OK they do make a softer one.
8) Felt like I was sitting on top of the bike, this is after riding the Multi which feels like you are sitting in the bike.
9) Clutch very very light.

I rode for about 45 minutes got on some tight backroads and felt very confident straight away, finish on the bike was great . I am pricing up Panniers , Heated Grips , top box and GPS mount, also larger screen. Seems this will add another $3,000 to the price tag.

Would be nice if KTM had included Cruise control, Australia has large distances between towns. I did note how long the swing arm is , and the long nylon chain guide, wondering how this will effect chain life and crud ?

Now to test the GSW.
Hmm, not for me. Coming off the 950 i felt i was sitting in the bike.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #3201
kedjo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Report after 250km on the 1190 Standard

Hi everybody. This is my first post on this forum and actually I have joined after purchasing the new KTM Adventure 1190 standard version.
First let me tell you that my previous bike was SM 990, was very happy with it but wanted something new, something different and new. I narrowed the list to two candidates: BMW GS 1200 Adventure and the NEW KTM 1190 Standard. I live in Montenegro and here you don't really get the chance to test ride bikes like these (you don't get to test the bikes at all small market). At the dealers you usually have just one bike and that is not the test one. Somehow I got few "round the dealers shop" laps on the BMW and few km on the KTM - at the end I went with KTM because I was offered to leave my old SM at the KTM dealer in exchange for the 1190, and because of the posts that I have read on this forum.
So to get back to the title of the post, a report after 250km. I will list and explain the things that I like, and that I don't like and in that way try to help someone that is trying to make the right choice (as you guys helped me). Please have in mind that my ridding is 100% on the road, most of the time ride through the city and through the twisty roads towards the Adriatic cost.
Here it goes. 250km mainly through the city, City mode setup, advice from the dealer to be easy on the throttle in the first 1000km (not to push it over 4000 rpm's is this the way you should ride it in the first 1000km? At least I was told to do it in that way), Akrapovic exhaust mounted without remapping (read few posts that is not needed, suppose to have it remapped at first 1000km service), electronic suspension ... The things I like:
1. Everything on this bike is a lot nicer and of higher quality compared to SM,
2. The clutch feels good, gear shifting much smoother.
3. Ride by wire system is a great addition, I really like the throttle response,
3. The seats is comfortable for me, also compared to a touring seat that I had on the SM.
4. Windshield protection is good but in the highest position (I am 187cm or 6'3'' in height), in the lower position you get a lot higher wind noise.
5. The bike feels really light, also gives me much more security in the turns than SM (believe it or not), the bike feels planted in the turn,
6. As I mention I usually ride it around 4000 rpm's, couple of times put it over 5000 and each time I do it put's smile on my face like I've nicked a candy from the shop, you can feel that there is the beast under the seat :) I really look forward to pass 1000km mark!
7. Tested the ABS couple of times like the complete brake pack,
8. Traction control stepped in couple of times mainly on the white lines and it felt just about right.

The things I don't like:
1. The look of the bike is not something that impressed me at first, but as the time passes I like it more and more. Really didn't like the grey-black color combination.
2. Heat from the engine during the city commuting here I have to give an explanation. If you ride through the city for more than 15 minutes in plus 30 degrees Celsius weather condition with a lot of traffic lights and constant start-stop pace you will get a lot of the heat from the engine. As soon as the road opens the heat is gone.

To sum the things up: I like the bike a lot and I think I will like it even more when I have more open road miles on it. You can feel that there is a lot of potential to be exploited.
I really hope that this post will be useful and that it will help someone.
kedjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #3202
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
1190 "T" impression, part 1

Quote:
Is this goodbye to the Ducati ?
Certainly under consideration. Although one reaction to looking at other machines is how special the S4Rs remains as a ride, impractical and unsuitable as it may be for my needs.

That is relevant because the KTM 1190 "T" reminds me of my Duc in many respects, and more so than the Multi 1200 does, peculiarly. I rode the 1190 a week ago solo, and again yesterday with my SO, this time back-to-back with a 2013 Multi 1200S Touring. (I had test-ridden the Multi 12 a couple of times in its earlier versions.)

Bearing in mind that we are talking about two rides of less than half an hour each, all on urban roads and near-urban freeway, here's what stood out for me.

Most strongly I think, the generally high level of character and usability exhibited by the 1190 engine. That is the strongest parallel with the S4Rs, which as many will know runs the engine from the Duc 999s Superbike. The KTM has a similarly docile feel down low with a bit of what I like to call "doughiness" in the early mid-range, opening into a stonking mid-range proper and what I assume must be a rip-roaring top-end. Also seemed very happy to sustain a chosen speed, with plenty of flywheel effect. The doughiness helps there, coming around the 100 to 125kmh (60-75mph) cruising range: small movements at the throttle don't affect your road speed much. The downside is a bit less roll-on overtaking urge in top gear from these speeds, which doesn't bother me much. Gearing seemed quite tall. Motor preferred fifth gear to sixth at 80kmh (50), probably happy in sixth from 90 or so (55) and comfortable from 100 (62).

So that is the way it seems to make power. OTOH, and in stark contrast to the 07 Monster stock, the fuelling and throttle response felt astonishingly good for a high-performance twin at all speeds. Absolutely beautiful, and a delight in heavy traffic (I'm sure a 250cc scooter would be better again, but this is a 150hp 1200.) As others have mentioned, the gearchange is wonderfully light and the clutch also. The throttle response felt MUCH better than the '13 Multi's, which surprised me by still having the imprecision down low I had noticed on the 12 and earlier versions (and which Ducati claimed to have fixed). It is possible the Multi I rode needed the throttles balancing.

On the intangible question of character, it struck me that the KTM motor was much more engaging than the Multi's, again a surprise (I'd not previously ridden a KTM twin of any kind). Probably a match for the S4Rs, which I find very much to my taste.

So that is the motor. More to come on the chassis, ergos and instruments, possibly later today.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #3203
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 100
Hi, for those Aussies that may not have seen it yet there is quite a good test write up on the 1190R in the latest Australian Motorcycle news mag. The tester rides a 990 as well and makes some comparisons, as well as making some comparisons to the new BMW. They fit more off-road tires [ Pirelli scorpion rally ] for a lot of dirt and tar test from Wisemans ferry through to Moonan flat and back ....anyway I put in an order for one 3weeks ago !!...not too sure on reliable delivery time though.. hope it does not have the same fuel pump as the 690R as there have been many reports of failure ....!!!!
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #3204
kedjo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
after 500km on 1190 Adventure standard

Today I had a small journey of 200km. Finally got the chance to take the adventure (Adventure) out of the city where it should be :)
Like in the previous post I will state the things that I like and the ones that I don't.
Like:
1. Once again - it holds the turn great! I am so much more confident than with SM. Riders that have much more experience with adventure type of bikes could have expected this but I am not the one of them so I guess that I am that much more surprised and pleased.
2. The engine - the beast! Once you push it in the 5000 rpm area it feels like you jumped to a sport bike, at least I do.
3. Playing with suspension setup is nice, more over when you have the pillion behind you.

Don't like:
1. Seat - oooh my goood! In the first post I have written that the seat is comfortable but that was while I was ridding through the city. After 200km ride boy I have changed my mind. Maybe someone will disagree with me but let me say that you will need ergo seat for longer journeys!
2. Wind noise - You will feel it when you pass 130km/h mark, at least I did (187cm, windshield in highest position).

That is all folks ... for now :)
kedjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #3205
Tancakar
Banned

i am just wondering if you are using ear plugs? because i just test ride it up to 170 km it wasnt bad . and didnt have buffering . the seat was low and the shield was on high and forward position .
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #3206
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
i am just wondering if you are using ear plugs? because i just test ride it up to 170 km it wasnt bad . and didnt have buffering . the seat was low and the shield was on high and forward position .
One thing I did not check on my test ride was the seat height. However I did think the wind noise too much. Had a short ride on the GS and thought it wasn't any better than the 1190 for wind noise either. Both bikes I rode with screen up in highest position.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #3207
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Lack of basic Accessories

One thing that I did find annoying with the KTM was that the base is just that the base ! I mean 3 weeks for heated grips, shit it is winter time who wouldn't want them this time of year. 3 weeks for the taller screen , 3 weeks for Panniers and so on. I know the bikes are well built and well thought out but when you can't supply the basics one wonders what else will piss me off further down the track ?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #3208
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
One thing that I did find annoying with the KTM was that the base is just that the base ! I mean 3 weeks for heated grips, shit it is winter time who wouldn't want them this time of year. 3 weeks for the taller screen , 3 weeks for Panniers and so on. I know the bikes are well built and well thought out but when you can't supply the basics one wonders what else will piss me off further down the track ?
Bike is new, it wil take a while before everything is easy and widely available. It's not like KTM is the only MFG with that issue.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #3209
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Remus silencers are finally coming (officially) to 1190 Adventure
http://www.remus.eu/produktnews-moto...nture-ab-2013/
3,1-3,3 kg weight reduction
I'm choosing this one instead of Akra
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #3210
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Bike is new, it wil take a while before everything is easy and widely available. It's not like KTM is the only MFG with that issue.
BMW comes with Cruise, heated grips, GPS mount , Just the simple things that make you realise they thought ahead !