User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #3316
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 790
Fly by wire throttle

I used to own a 990 but as I got a twichy right hand I couldn't use the bike around town. Every time I hit a bump my had would move slightly because of the lite throttle and the bike would jump or get into a jerking motion that I couldn't work out. I did tune it, change the throttle tube, changed the exhaust, etc....I even added an extra spring on the throttle bodies to add weight to it. Nothing worked. So I ended up with a GS which has a firm throttle feel so it doesn't move when I hit bumps. But the GS doesn't make me feel good riding it. It's a great bike but just not for me. So does the electronic throttle have some weight to it or is it very lite?
'06 Ktm 950 SM
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #3317
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I used to own a 990 but as I got a twichy right hand I couldn't use the bike around town. Every time I hit a bump my had would move slightly because of the lite throttle and the bike would jump or get into a jerking motion that I couldn't work out. I did tune it, change the throttle tube, changed the exhaust, etc....I even added an extra spring on the throttle bodies to add weight to it. Nothing worked. So I ended up with a GS which has a firm throttle feel so it doesn't move when I hit bumps. But the GS doesn't make me feel good riding it. It's a great bike but just not for me. So does the electronic throttle have some weight to it or is it very lite?
the throttle is very very light but it wont make the same problem you used to have on 990 . you can take it to rain mode till you get used to it or you can ride on rain mode in town . the bike doesnt kick back in the potholes or anything . if you still get the same problem it might be you squizing the trottle far too much .
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #3318
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post

Finally first time with luggage. :-))
no KTM bags ? and not sure about using that helmets for road . but the bike looks great
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #3319
okeanis1234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I wonder what the right pressures for front and rear wheels are,since i got my bike delivered with 33psi front and 36 rear,but the manual refers 35 and 42!!!what pressures do you use(for road use)?
okeanis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #3320
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
There is no way the Ducati will be as capable as a GS ! I speak from experience. The Duc does some things much better, but cannot compete in some areas.
My mistake, I am not expecting as much off road performance from the duc. I ride less off road lately so thats the reason the duc is on the list. I used to thrash the hell out of my poor GS, then got a 2010 690 Enduro R... WOW
I think the biggest problem with the multi is I couldn't stand dropping it off road. And I'm sure many things would break if I did drop it. And I don't want to add tons of protection to that beautiful bike.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #3321
dultanur
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post

Finally first time with luggage. :-))
Have a nice trip, call me when you get back. What are you gonna do with the topcase once the motech arrives? Sell it? Doesn't touratech make side case bars for the 1190? Then you could mount a set of Globescouts...
And you need a skid plate. ;)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #3322
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by dultanur View Post
I think the biggest problem with the multi is I couldn't stand dropping it off road. And I'm sure many things would break if I did drop it. And I don't want to add tons of protection to that beautiful bike.
You are correct, I broke the handgards with a soft fallover on the front lawn, nearly made the bike unridable. The bike is a good road bike, but I think my next choice will be the LC Boxer, after riding the KTM I think the boxer is the best all round . All bikes have certain aspects that are outstanding it most likely is the aspect that you most desire that will decide your choice in th end.
One word of caution on the Ducati, they do not hold their value well and are not wanted in the second hand market, well at least that is my experience.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 AM   #3323
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Must to have Item

I just come from a ride after the first service... Finally the windshield and the GPS mounting arrive. The windshield made a huge difference! A lot less noise!

nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #3324
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Still waiting for the articulated clutch and brake levers & heather grips from KTM; And engine guard and luggage rack from Touratech.
Umitc, I really like your panniers! Those ones are the Touratech ones? Any feedback?
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #3325
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
just got back from the first service of my bike also...
since during the commuting in the city bike becomes very hot and the oil temperatures rises up to 94 degrees C, I decided to use Motorex 10W/60 instead of 10W/50
about the week horn issue: together with mechanic we've got it solved
all you got to do is to change the nut holding the horn.
if you try losing the nut a bit and check the horn it will sound much louder, but the problem thread is too short...
so you need to change the original nut with plastic end

on the basic nut

use the thread lock liquid (Loctite or any other) and don't over-tighten the nut

also another "issue" was about blinking rear light (immobiliser) after 60 seconds you turn off the bike and get the key out:
first I thought it was some software issue. I told the mechanic about that and he said that there is no update of software available. it's first and only version right now.
so we went checking on 3 other 1190's that they have on stock right now and all of them was having the same thing: 1 blink of the rear lights after 60 seconds and no blinking on the dashboard. owner's manual (page 30) say that the special symbol (immobiliser light) on the dashboard should blink after 60 seconds and then every 15 seconds.
after doing different checks by the diagnostic tool, mechanic decided to call a guy that he knows personally on the factory, so here is the thing he was told:
there is a mistake in printed manual (that will be fixed later), but the blink of the rear light after 60 seconds mean that there is no juice and all the power is shut off. the immobiliser symbol doesn't blink and should not blink at all - this means that everything works correct
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #3326
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
I'm wondering how come nobody has tried a 17 front wheel yet on the beast...
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #3327
okeanis1234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeanis1234 View Post
I wonder what the right pressures for front and rear wheels are,since i got my bike delivered with 33psi front and 36 rear,but the manual refers 35 and 42!!!what pressures do you use(for road use)?
Anybody....???
okeanis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:02 AM   #3328
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeanis1234 View Post
Anybody....???
I run 35 front and 42 rear, as said on manual.
But should be checked when cold (before riding)
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #3329
Wuffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
just got back from the first service of my bike also...
since during the commuting in the city bike becomes very hot and the oil temperatures rises up to 94 degrees C, I decided to use Motorex 10W/60 instead of 10W/50
about the week horn issue: together with mechanic we've got it solved
all you got to do is to change the nut holding the horn.
if you try losing the nut a bit and check the horn it will sound much louder, but the problem thread is too short...
so you need to change the original nut with plastic end

on the basic nut

use the thread lock liquid (Loctite or any other) and don't over-tighten the nut

also another "issue" was about blinking rear light (immobiliser) after 60 seconds you turn off the bike and get the key out:
first I thought it was some software issue. I told the mechanic about that and he said that there is no update of software available. it's first and only version right now.
so we went checking on 3 other 1190's that they have on stock right now and all of them was having the same thing: 1 blink of the rear lights after 60 seconds and no blinking on the dashboard. owner's manual (page 30) say that the special symbol (immobiliser light) on the dashboard should blink after 60 seconds and then every 15 seconds.
after doing different checks by the diagnostic tool, mechanic decided to call a guy that he knows personally on the factory, so here is the thing he was told:
there is a mistake in printed manual (that will be fixed later), but the blink of the rear light after 60 seconds mean that there is no juice and all the power is shut off. the immobiliser symbol doesn't blink and should not blink at all - this means that everything works correct

Thanks for that info.
Wuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #3330
dultanur
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
You are correct, I broke the handgards with a soft fallover on the front lawn, nearly made the bike unridable. The bike is a good road bike, but I think my next choice will be the LC Boxer, after riding the KTM I think the boxer is the best all round . All bikes have certain aspects that are outstanding it most likely is the aspect that you most desire that will decide your choice in th end.
One word of caution on the Ducati, they do not hold their value well and are not wanted in the second hand market, well at least that is my experience.
Thanks for the comments. I rode the multi today for a couple of hours. It is an awesome bike. The skyhook works great but its mainly for making sport mode more comfy. At the end of the day I think the tractor will stay ;)

BTW, Umit is off riding so heres the answer: His bike has SW Motech pannier rack and trax panniers and a Touratech topcase.