Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #3526
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 208
All Right Just put down my deposit on an 1190 today with my local dealer!!!! Cant wait, should have it in my hands around October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
First Ride: KTM 1190 Adventure Superbike at Heart KTM’s Adventure goes mainstream and joins the luxury travel brigade, with more displacement, power and features.

Tenerife, Canary Islands—KTM has a problem: It’s called the 1190 Adventure. As the Austrian company forges ahead to become a complete player with a comprehensive model range, it continues diving into the streetbike pool with Adventures, Dukes, SM-Ts and RC8s. And now, with its brand-new 2014 (in the U.S.) 1190 Adventure, KTM is making a huge, cannonball-style splash in the pool of high-performance streetbikes. Never before has the company had a bike so mainstream, so capable of going head-to-head with all of the players in the adventure-touring market. But since it’s not competing strictly for the hardcore off-road buyer, the 1190 Adventure represents a bit of a problem in that, as KTM continues to grow, some of its motocross- and off-road oriented dealers will have to step it up and come to grips with the company’s increasingly complex (albeit more balanced) model range.
Taking a step back: The 2003 950 Adventure, Austria’s answer to BMW’s big-bore GS series, started KTM’s push to become something other than a dirtbike-focused company. Like its Bavarian competition, the 950 was inspired by long-distance off-road-racing machines, namely the LC8 950R that Fabrizio Meoni rode to victory in the 2002 Dakar Rally. And for the past decade, KTM has kept the V-Twin 950/990 range focused on its core, dirt-oriented customer.
But the 1190 Adventure, as mentioned, is changing that. At first glimpse, it reveals a major shift in KTM’s approach to the popular adventure-touring category. Redesigned from the ground up, the 1190 is aimed squarely at BMW’s new water-pumper, the R1200GS, as well as the market-share-hungry Triumph Tiger Explorer, Ducati Multistrada 1200 and Yamaha Super Ténéré.
In years past, KTM had foregone electronic rider aids (except ABS), luxury features and anything else that may have compromised off-road exploration. With the 1190, however, the company has added a comprehensive electronics suite, including available electronically adjustable WP suspension, to compete on level terms with more tarmac-oriented ADVs.
Skeptical? We were, too. But KTM says the 2014 R model (the first 1190 to arrive in the U.S. this summer) promises to retain much of the attitude that adventure riders have come to love off-highway while embracing new technologies.

Powerwise, KTM has stuffed a tweaked version of the RC8 R superbike’s 1195cc, 75-degree V-Twin into the Adventure’s chrome-moly steel trellis frame. Compared with the previous 999cc V-Twin, bore has grown from 101.0 to 105.0mm, and stroke has increased from 62.4 to 69.0mm. A twin-sparkplug (different-size plugs) cylinder-head design works with forged aluminum pistons to help create an exciting, efficient package. The last RC8 R we tested produced 151.5 horsepower and 85.1 ft.-lb. of peak torque at the rear wheel. Can you say monster roost?!
At the press introduction of the standard Adventure (the R model will be launched in a few months) on Tenerife, I didn’t get to experience any off-road riding, but I can confirm that KTM isn’t pulling our leg with its horsepower claims. Over two days of riding amongst the lava fields on the mountainous southern half of the island, I was blown away by the performance of the 1190. Before making the trip, I had hoped the new KTM would be capable of going head-to-head with the new BMW GS, but after riding the bike, I’m convinced it’s actually more closely matched in sporting performance to Ducati’s Multistrada.
Tenerife’s roads resemble a fantasy supermoto course. In carousels, hairpins, fast 90s and everything in between, the 1190 tackled the serpentine asphalt with a level of aggression that would have been impossible on the previous bike. I’ve never experienced another ADV-oriented machine that lofts its front wheel into crossed-up wheelies when accelerating hard out of corners in second and third gears like the 1190 Adventure does. This bike really does have the heart of a superbike. If that sounds like a bit much for adventure riding, electronics play a key role as a safety net.
The new ride-by-wire ECU has four riding modes: Sport, Street, Off-road and Rain. These are complemented by Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC), with Sport, Street, Off-road and Off. The Bosch controller features two yaw sensors and three accelerometers to optimize TC depending on the bike’s lean angle and other info fed to the ECU. Among all these options, there’s an ideal setting for almost any riding condition. On my ride, I cycled through every possible combination I could try, and I found the KTM’s left-handlebar-mounted mode selector to be extremely easy and logical to use. Fuel delivery in every mode was well mapped, while power delivery was always smooth and progressive. The flexibility of the engine means that you have multiple gear options for a good drive: Scream it for real excitement or carry a gear or two taller and chug out riding that fat V-Twin torque curve. Revs can be dropped all the way down between 2500 to 3000 rpm in fifth or sixth gear and the engine will still pull cleanly if the throttle is snapped open.

Switching among the TC settings gives riders of various skill levels many options. Shutting the system off entirely proved how effective and necessary TC is, as getting the rear wheel to snap sideways while exiting corners was quite easy without intervention. In Sport mode, the system would allow the bike to spin the rear tire a bit and carry low power wheelies but would never allow the front end to be lofted abruptly. For that, you have to shut the TC off completely, which proved to be lots of fun. Street mode provided good drive without the hectic heroics, while Rain proved to be quite nice in urban traffic. We’ll have to sample all of the off-road features when we get a bike in our hands later this summer.
Like the riding and TC modes, the braking system’s characteristics can be changed to suit your needs. Bosch/Brembo Combined-ABS has three settings: Street, Off-road and Off. Off-road allows the rider to lock the rear brake for controlled slides while allowing more slip up front than the Street ABS setting, while Off gives the rider full control of both front and rear binders. The system is linked front to rear but not the other way around. Braking performance was excellent and consistent, despite front lever travel that varied a bit in hard riding and got closer to the bar during hard use. But there never was actual brake fade. Aided by the slipper clutch, corner entries proved smooth and controlled.
The final significant electronic system is the optional Electronic Damping System (EDS) that allows the 48mm WP fork and monoshock suspension settings to be changed via the LCD menus. Four rear preload settings can be selected: Solo, Solo with Luggage, Two-up and Two-up with Luggage. Similarly, three damping selections can be chosen: Comfort, Street and Sport. Although there are obvious differences in feel among all these settings, the suspension never felt too harsh, even when I chose Sport and Two-up with Luggage. Conversely, the 1190 never felt under-sprung when I chose full soft.
One of the key differences between the R and the more street-oriented standard 1190 are their wheels and tires. While the R retains the classic off-road 21-inch-front/18-in.-rear combination (and revised front-end geometry), the standard model, which I rode, has 19-in.-front and 17-in.-rear wire-spoke, tubeless wheels. Grip from the Continental TrailAttack 2 tires, in 120/70 and 170/60 sizes, was very good, especially given their blocky dual-sport tread pattern.
Despite the tall, commanding riding position and long-travel suspension, I occasional forgot that I was riding an ADV bike. At times, I would have sworn that I was on a 990 Supermoto with a seriously massaged engine. Front-end feel and grip far exceed what I expected of the 1190’s 19-in. front wheel/tire combination. Turn-in felt crisp, while the WP suspension kept the bike from wallowing mid-corner. With its stability-enhancing 61.4 in. wheelbase, the Adventure felt planted in sweepers, giving the rider lots of confidence. All helped, of course, by the 1190’s 507-pound fully fueled weight, which is light for its category.

As you can see, the performance of this new KTM is pretty incredible. In everyday use and in touring capabilities, the 1190 is a far better motorcycle than the 990 it replaces. Protection provided by the adjustable windscreen was good, with virtually no helmet buffeting (an even taller option is available). The riding position also can be altered, via a top triple-clamp that allows the handlebar to be set in two positions. The pegs are adjustable, too, while seat height can be raised 0.60 in.
One of my few complaints has to do with the seat. In an effort to set it at a reasonable 33.8-in. height on the standard model, it seems that KTM has skimped on seat foam. After just a few hours in the saddle, my gluteus really started to ache, a real disappointment when contrasted to the excellent seat on the KTM 990 Adventure Baja we recently tested.
Another cool feature on the 1190 Adventure is the array of LED running lights surrounding the headlight. The headlight’s low beam illuminates automatically when it senses that ambient light levels have dropped. I noticed the headlight kick on when I passed through a few tunnels. I’m not sure if the automatic function will be available on U.S. models.
Like the rest of the players in the ADV market, KTM offers an extensive line of accessories. These include: aluminum top-load touring cases, various soft luggage, GPS mounts, auxiliary lamps, skidplates, heated grips, crash bars, tall windscreen, optional seat (with more foam, please) and an Akrapovic exhaust silencer.
U.S. pricing has not been set, but KTM officials are hoping the standard 1190 model (which may come equipped with some of the European options as standard) will likely be less than $17,000.
Without doubt, KTM has made a huge leap forward with the 1190 Adventure. This bike isn’t going after a small niche market; it’s a full-frontal attack on the big players in the popular adventure-touring segment. And this weapon looks like it will succeed.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #3527
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Got me a new R today!!!!!!

I'm happier than a very happy thing!

What is the cable in the tool pouch? I was thinking it is for a helmet lock, but I can't find where it goes. My zook has a metal bracket for a similar cable for helmets.

and the cable??

paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #3528
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
I'm happier than a very happy thing!

What is the cable in the tool pouch? I was thinking it is for a helmet lock, but I can't find where it goes. My zook has a metal bracket for a similar cable for helmets.

and the cable??

congratulations with a purchase

this is a helmet lick, but actually I have used it yet and didn't look for the place where it should be used. definitely under the pillion seat, but don't know where exactly
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #3529
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I use Sw-motech's wire with locker on, I would prefer this to lift the seat; instead, I lock the helmet on the handlebar. I have forgotten my key on the side of the bike after taking out and putting back the seat. :-)))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #3530
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
So today I was lucky enough to test a factory demo 1190 Adventure - hence the Mattighofen (Oberösterreich - Braunau am Inn) licence plate on the picture at the end of the post.

The bike was equiped with the so called "Electronic package", so it had EDS.

Keeping in mind that I have a 950ADV with 265mm suspension, which I even race (offroad) now and then,
here are my thoughts about the 1190 - apologies to all of the owners, and future owners - I don't want to ruin anybody's dream, this is only my opinion, by my taste:

My friend (works at KTM) called me yesterday that he has got this demo bike for the weekend, so I should have a look at it:) So today I woke up early, hopped on my good 'ol 950 and off I headed to check out the bike.
There was a motorshow back here in Hungary in march or april, and the 1190 was displayed on it - it was possible to sit on the bike, but not to ride it. That bike however was the "R" version, and this test bike was the standard version. When I sat on the R version back at the motorshow, I already knew this is going to be very different from the 9x0. Even with ignition off, and even on the R version I could feel that this bike just can't bring that unique KTM feeling.

However, jump ahead in time. Today, after I arrived and got off the 950:
My first impression was when I sat on the bike, that the seat position is very low. I don't know however what position it was set to - it's adjustable if a recall correctly. This, however, made it really easy to push the bike around with the legs. Interestingly it felt way more lighter - and this feeling remained for the whole ride - compared to the 9x0, which is strange, because on the paper the 1190 is heavier. So I turned the ignition key to the on position. Self-test, blabla, and there I was with the little LCD screen with those bunch of options.. Riding mode, Suspension mode, Outside temperature, voltage, etc. Wow! Time has really advanced since the old LC8 came out. I'm a computer engineer, so I enjoy these bling dashes, like the one the 1190 has. Compared to the 950's dash.. Lightyears ahead:) I liked this.

Then I started the engine, and that was the first shock. Okay, I have open akras on the 950, but come on guys.. This stock muffler kills the whole feeling. It almost makes the bike silent:)
Talking about sounds and heart touching moments.. There were basicly none. Well the way the engine idles is night and day compared to the old LC8, or a 640 LC4, or whatever other KTM bike (I'd say the 125 Duke is the closest). If I had to describe it by one word, I'd say: smooth. It doesn't have any metallic noises, cam rattle, bearings shaked in a metal pan, etc.. It's just smooth. It just doesn't have a character. Almost like an inline 4, or a BMW 1200GS. Definitely none of the KTM feeling is delivered by it. I don't say this is bad, I know most of the people will like it mainly because of this, but it's just not for my taste, it makes the bike soulless for me.

Okay, so a gentle push on the gear lever, 1st gear selected (displayed on the dash aswell). Wow, it clicked into gear like a dream. The old LC8 IMO also has a wonderfull shifter, but this.. This is way more precise. I started to feel like I was driving my Jap car. So this was a plus for me, I liked it.

Before I started to ride, I got the idea about scrolling through the options on the LCD screen. So I wanted to get the bike out into neutral.. Man it took me about a minute playing on the lever.. 1st..2nd..1st..2nd..1st..blabla.. and finally. Neutral. I don't know if it's this hard, or it's because I was not used to it (and the shifter really moves on smaller travel than the one on the 950), still it was strange.

So a quick lookaround in the menu, and I got familiar with it, I decided I will play with it on the road, so off I went. The position flasher switch.. It is interesting, it's more like a button than a switch:) You don't need to move it that much sideways as the one on the old bikes. I liked this:)

The main noise was intake noise during the ride, the exhaust is almost silent, so is the engine, so a little intake roar was the best it showed to me. Once again, some will like this, I don't - not the intake noise, but the sounds coming from the bike:)

The throttle.. it just can't hold a candle to the 950. Nor even to the 990. It has a way too big lag in it. I guess it's the drive-by-wire. Also the engine is nothing that free reving as the 9x0's engine is. With the 9x0, you just think of the throttle and the bike immediately reacts.. The 1190 is more like my car, twist on the throttle, and there is that delay. I know some will really like this, especialy the guys who hated the 9x0 because of the direct throttle response, but I don't. Another minus for the bike in my eyes. Funny how the LCD reads "Ready to race" when the ignition is turned on.. Well IMO it's far-far away from a race bike with this throttle response.

Okay. Because the bike had an Austrian licence plate, it ment that I'm kind of outlaw with it in Hungary, so no speed limit, etc.. I switched to sport mode, and opened the throttle until I could. Wow. 150 hp is 150 hp:) No doubt, the bike really has the grunt. It's a blast:) The real big push arrives somewhere at 7k rpm, but shifting through the gears.. I was already at 200km/h (124mph). It's fun, I've never traveled at this speeds with my 950, mainly because I always have knobbies on it, but wow, the 1190 can do this (at least with the Conti TA'S) :) And it still had grunt left. The wind protection is quite good - I was wearing a helmet with a visor (see pic), and had to lean on the tank at this speeds, but I think I can say it's better than the 9x0's screen.

A little remark on the big acceleration. The steering damper really helps alot when the front gets light. I need one on the 950 as well:) It smooths out everything, so it's a big plus that it's stock on the 1190.

So after breaking the sound barrier, I decided not to kill myself - at least not this way (speed limit was 60mph on this road), and started to play with the bike a bit. Switched engine to street and suspension to comfort mode, and I had a feeling that I could travel 1k miles with the bike without any problem. Because of it's "smoothness" it's way comfortable than the 9x0 is. This is ofcourse a big plus if somebody uses the bike for long onroad traveling, but I guess I'm not old enough for that yet. I'm still the hooligan kind of guy at my age at 28:)

The bike basicly doesn't have engine braking. I don't know if it's because the antihopping clutch, or the drive-by-wire, but it's strange, compared to the 950, where you let go off the throttle, and your eyes start to fall out:)

Talking about the clutch. I think I like this antihopping system:) With knobbies on the 950, and agressive downshifting I "lock up" the rear wheel way more often than I would like to.

After playing around on the road, I decided it's time to take the bike in the woods:) I was afraid about the 19/17 - Conti TA setup, but these tires are not that bad at all:) Switched the computer to offroad mode, and started with a little gravel. Well the ABS seemed to remain on (front and rear brake), so did the TC, but neither of them was disturbing. It was possible to powerslide the bike a bit, and the ABS also didn't come on too early. It was okay.

I stood up on the pegs, and oh boy.. This bar is too low. At least for me. I have 2" risers on the 950, and that's kind of OK, but I guess 2" on this won't solve the height issue.

However it was fun.. It was.. I don't know the exact word for it, but it was a different fun than the 9x0 can give you. This is way more controlled fun:) The suspension doesn't give that direct link between the rider and the terrain as it does on the 9x0. Also with all the electronics it's strange. It's controlled. Okay, I know it can be switched off - which I haven't tried, but the suspension is still not okay for offroad IMO. Well no suprise, as the bike is more a replacement for the SM-T, and not for the ADV.

For gravel roads, okay.. For bad, paved roads, okay.. But for real offroad stuff, no-no. I'm afraid it would be the same with the "R" version as well:(

I've never riden a GS, but this is how I imagine that bike. Everyone knows that this bike is the rival of the GS, and I think it fulfils this job. This is why KTM made it "smooth", and this is why it's not anything like the 9x0. The guys who like or liked the GS will surely like this bike aswell (well they would, if they weren't addicted to BMW'S), but I would never choose this bike over the 9x0.

It's soulless, it's like a car. It will take you from A to B, but the grinfactor, the hooligan factor is far away from the 9x0. And for this purpose there are better bikes IMO - not especially the GS, but jap touring bikes for example - Honda VFR1200 maybe?

It's a no-go for me.

Once again sorry if I hurt somebody with my writeup, didn't mean to.

The heat coming from the rear cylinder or whatever on the leg problem - which I've read recently in another topic.. It was 32 degrees celius (89 fahrenheit) today, and I couldn't feel any anomalies. The 9x0 throws way more heat on the rider:)

Some pics from today:

Sumi screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 12:43 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #3531
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
So today I was lucky enough to test a factory demo 1190 Adventure - hence the Mattighofen (Oberösterreich) licence plate on the picture at the end of the post.

The bike was equiped with the so called "Electronic package", so it had EDS.

Keeping in mind that I have a 950ADV with 265mm suspension, which I even race (offroad) now and then,
here are my thoughts about the 1190 - apologies to all of the owners, and future owners - I don't want to ruin anybody's dream, this is only my opinion, by my taste:

My friend (works at KTM) called me yesterday that he has got this demo bike for the weekend, so I should have a look at it:) So today I woke up early, hopped on my good 'ol 950 and off I headed to check out the bike.
There was a motorshow back here in Hungary in march or april, and the 1190 was displayed on it - it was possible to sit on the bike, but not to ride it. That bike however was the "R" version, and this test bike was the standard version. When I sat on the R version back at the motorshow, I already knew this is going to be very different from the 9x0. Even with ignition off, and even on the R version I could feel that this bike just can't bring that unique KTM feeling.

However, jump ahead in time. Today, after I arrived and got off the 950:
My first impression was when I sat on the bike, that the seat position is very low. I don't know however what position it was set to - it's adjustable if a recall correctly. This, however, made it really easy to push the bike around with the legs. Interestingly it felt way more lighter - and this feeling remained for the whole ride - compared to the 9x0, which is strange, because on the paper the 1190 is heavier. So I turned the ignition key to the on position. Self-test, blabla, and there I was with the little LCD screen with those bunch of options.. Riding mode, Suspension mode, Outside temperature, voltage, etc. Wow! Time has really advanced since the old LC8 came out. I'm a computer engineer, so I enjoy these bling dashes, like the one the 1190 has. Compared to the 950's dash.. Lightyears ahead:) I liked this.

Then I started the engine, and that was the first shock. Okay, I have open akras on the 950, but come on guys.. This stock muffler kills the whole feeling. It almost makes the bike silent:)
Talking about sounds and heart touching moments.. There were basicly none. Well the way the engine idles is night and day compared to the old LC8, or a 640 LC4, or whatever other KTM bike (I'd say the 125 Duke is the closest). If I had to describe it by one word, I'd say: smooth. It doesn't have any metallic noises, cam rattle, bearings shaked in a metal pan, etc.. It's just smooth. It just doesn't have a character. Almost like an inline 4, or a BMW 1200GS. Definitely none of the KTM feeling is delivered by it. I don't say this is bad, I know most of the people will like it mainly because of this, but it's just not for my taste, it makes the bike soulless for me.

Okay, so a gentle push on the gear lever, 1st gear selected (displayed on the dash aswell). Wow, it clicked into gear like a dream. The old LC8 IMO also has a wonderfull shifter, but this.. This is way more precise. I started to feel like I was driving my Jap car. So this was a plus for me, I liked it.

Before I started to ride, I got the idea about scrolling through the options on the LCD screen. So I wanted to get the bike out into neutral.. Man it took me about a minute playing on the lever.. 1st..2nd..1st..2nd..1st..blabla.. and finally. Neutral. I don't know if it's this hard, or it's because I was not used to it (and the shifter really moves on smaller travel than the one on the 950), still it was strange.

So a quick lookaround in the menu, and I got familiar with it, I decided I will play with it on the road, so off I went. The position flasher switch.. It is interesting, it's more like a button than a switch:) You don't need to move it that much sideways as the one on the old bikes. I liked this:)

The main noise was intake noise during the ride, the exhaust is almost silent, so is the engine, so a little intake roar was the best it showed to me. Once again, some will like this, I don't - not the intake noise, but the sounds coming from the bike:)

The throttle.. it just can't hold a candle to the 950. Nor even to the 990. It has a way too big lag in it. I guess it's the drive-by-wire. Also the engine is nothing that free reving as the 9x0's engine is. With the 9x0, you just think of the throttle and the bike immediately reacts.. The 1190 is more like my car, twist on the throttle, and there is that delay. I know some will really like this, especialy the guys who hated the 9x0 because of the direct throttle response, but I don't. Another minus for the bike in my eyes. Funny how the LCD reads "Ready to race" when the ignition is turned on.. Well IMO it's far-far away from a race bike with this throttle response.

Okay. Because the bike had an Austrian licence plate, it ment that I'm kind of outlaw with it in Hungary, so no speed limit, etc.. I switched to sport mode, and opened the throttle until I could. Wow. 150 hp is 150 hp:) No doubt, the bike really has the grunt. It's a blast:) The real big push arrives somewhere at 7k rpm, but shifting through the gears.. I was already at 200km/h (124mph). It's fun, I've never traveled at this speeds with my 950, mainly because I always have knobbies on it, but wow, the 1190 can do this (at least with the Conti TA'S) :) And it still had grunt left. The wind protection is quite good - I was wearing a helmet with a visor (see pic), and had to lean on the tank at this speeds, but I think I can say it's better than the 9x0's screen.

A little remark on the big acceleration. The steering damper really helps alot when the front gets light. I need one on the 950 as well:) It smooths out everything, so it's a big plus that it's stock on the 1190.

So after breaking the sound barrier, I decided not to kill myself - at least not this way (speed limit was 60mph on this road), and started to play with the bike a bit. Switched engine to street and suspension to comfort mode, and I had a feeling that I could travel 1k miles with the bike without any problem. Because of it's "smoothness" it's way comfortable than the 9x0 is. This is ofcourse a big plus if somebody uses the bike for long onroad traveling, but I guess I'm not old enough for that yet. I'm still the hooligan kind of guy at my age at 28:)

The bike basicly doesn't have engine braking. I don't know if it's because the antihopping clutch, or the drive-by-wire, but it's strange, compared to the 950, where you let go off the throttle, and your eyes start to fall out:)

Talking about the clutch. I think I like this antihopping system:) With knobbies on the 950, and agressive downshifting I "lock up" the rear wheel way more often than I would like to.

After playing around on the road, I decided it's time to take the bike in the woods:) I was afraid about the 19/17 - Conti TA setup, but these tires are not that bad at all:) Switched the computer to offroad mode, and started with a little gravel. Well the ABS seemed to remain on (front and rear brake), so did the TC, but neither of them was disturbing. It was possible to powerslide the bike a bit, and the ABS also didn't come on too early. It was okay.

I stood up on the pegs, and oh boy.. This bar is too low. At least for me. I have 2" risers on the 950, and that's kind of OK, but I guess 2" on this won't solve the height issue.

However it was fun.. It was.. I don't know the exact word for it, but it was a different fun than the 9x0 can give you. This is way more controlled fun:) The suspension doesn't give that direct link between the rider and the terrain as it does on the 9x0. Also with all the electronics it's strange. It's controlled. Okay, I know it can be switched off - which I haven't tried, but the suspension is still not okay for offroad IMO. Well no suprise, as the bike is more a replacement for the SM-T, and not for the ADV.

For gravel roads, okay.. For bad, paved roads, okay.. But for real offroad stuff, no-no. I'm afraid it would be the same with the "R" version as well:(

I've never riden a GS, but this is how I imagine that bike. Everyone knows that this bike is the rival of the GS, and I think it fulfils this job. This is why KTM made it "smooth", and this is why it's not anything like the 9x0. The guys who like or liked the GS will surely like this bike aswell (well they would, if they weren't addicted to BMW'S), but I would never choose this bike over the 9x0.

It's soulless, it's like a car. It will take you from A to B, but the grinfactor, the hooligan factor is far away from the 9x0. And for this purpose there are better bikes IMO - not especially the GS, but jap touring bikes for example - Honda VFR1200 maybe?

It's a no-go for me.

Once again sorry if I hurt somebody with my writeup, didn't mean to.

The heat coming from the rear cylinder or whatever on the leg problem - which I've read recently in another topic.. It was 32 degrees celius (89 fahrenheit) today, and I couldn't feel any anomalies. The 9x0 throws way more heat on the rider:)

Some pics from today:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0ccd8d18.jpg
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...psa1ad3da5.jpg
Totally agree, i had the exact same feeling when i rode it.
Don't get me wrong 1190 owners, the bike IS amazing...but is does not have the fun factor of my 950, atleast not for me.
It has just one big flaw IMO, the indicator switch is just terrible. Te rest is superb but to smooth and perfect, it feels more like a Jap then an Australian.

I'm just a huge fan of the raw old LC8 engines.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #3532
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Totally agree, i had the exact same feeling when i rode it.
Don't get me wrong 1190 owners, the bike IS amazing...but is does not have the fun factor of my 950, atleast not for me.
It has just one big flaw IMO, the indicator switch is just terrible. Te rest is superb but to smooth and perfect, it feels more like a Jap then an Australian.

I'm just a huge fan of the raw old LC8 engines.
What I think that might give that good old Ready to race feeling, saving the company's name in my eyes is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LOCBWf5oaY
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #3533
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post

The throttle.. it just can't hold a candle to the 950. Nor even to the 990. It has a way too big lag in it.
950 throttle good cuz cv carb
990 throttle bad cuz ist gen fuel injection but still no lag

690 throttle not bad in map position 2 but can be improved by setting butter fly full open for more direct response at the expense of some twichiness

that's the one thing i can't tolerate is that lag, needs nice bark and instant pull. Does sport mode use a more aggressive throttle map than the other modes and is better in that regard? My stupidly fast fz1 was garbage from the factory but could be tuned to perfection, similarly i would think the rc8 in race tune is pretty alive and direct
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #3534
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Now i really can´t talk about this 1190 adv. But i´ve fitted an 09 RC8R engine into my LC8 frame and you just nailed it straight away how i can sum up my last month of riding.

Engine noise;
2-1 exhaust, akra-can from old 950 with Db kill. When iddling i can´t really hear it. It´s an hizzing sound. Though my intake is ITG open airfilter. That is by far the loudest intake i´ve ever heard. So all in all i would call the engine "civilized".

Throttle response;
Is VERY quick, just as responsive on the old 950. I assume this is the "old" push/pull system on the EFI bridge.

Engine braking;
I can only say that i´m looking for an antihopping clutch. Unholy batchrist this engine really brakes when you drop 1 or 2 gear down. My first couple of gravel rides really took me by suprise. :-)

I can´t comment on the other stuff as i got plenty of suspension travel....and no wheelie control.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #3535
rompe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Guys your old 950 doesn't have the fun factor of a 450 either...

History of motorcycling it's plenty of nostalgy.

Enviado desde mi Optimus 2X usando Tapatalk 2
Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #3536
Viajaendl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rompe View Post
guys your old 950 doesn't have the fun factor of a 450 either...

Enviado desde mi optimus 2x usando tapatalk 2

+1
Viajaendl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #3537
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rompe View Post
Guys your old 950 doesn't have the fun factor of a 450 either...

Enviado desde mi Optimus 2X usando Tapatalk 2
It does, my 950 is plenty of fun on- and offroad. The 450 (i had one) is easyer to throw around in the dirt but it does not come close to the fun of the 950. Unless maybe you put supermoto wheels on it. (and drop the oil every 1500km)

It has nothing to do with nostalgia, eatch bike has it's own feel and character and different people like different things. Why is that sutch a bad thing?
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #3538
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
The thing about the 950 is it's balance. It's just about the perfect do anything bike, High speed touring, scratching around the twisties, easy off roads, gnarly offroad (with the right tyres/rider ability), just riding around chilling.
It's fast enough, comfy enough, economical enough, reliable enough, fun enough in just about every way.

All this makes it a real hard bike to improve on IMO.

Yes the new 1190 maybe better at certain things, but is more compromised in others IMO. ( And way too expensive)

Personally I think it looks very bland and generic and does'nt 'excite'me in any way. Which is daft, as with 150hp I should be drooling over it, but in the real world you just don't need 150hp on an Adventure bike to make it good. You need all round ability and character, and that's what the 950's got in spades, with a nice healthy dose of Dakar style and attitude.

No contest for me, 950 all the way.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #3539
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
why would you even compare to 950 to 1190 ?

1190 is a peice of engineering , it can do anything 950 can do and more .
i think this is a human thing ...

let me tell you :

WHEN A HUMAN CANT REACH THE APPLE IN THE TREE ,HE WILL SAY THEM APPLES ARE NOT SWEET ANYWAY.

no disrespect to 950 and the owners of it but 990 was a better bike then 950 and now 1190 is better them all. but again how can you compare a carburator bike to a fuel injection bike >?

anyway 1190 will be one of the best bikes of 2013-2014
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #3540
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
why would you even compare to 950 to 1190 ?

1190 is a peice of engineering , it can do anything 950 can do and more .
i think this is a human thing ...

let me tell you :

WHEN A HUMAN CANT REACH THE APPLE IN THE TREE ,HE WILL SAY THEM APPLES ARE NOT SWEET ANYWAY.

no disrespect to 950 and the owners of it but 990 was a better bike then 950 and now 1190 is better them all. but again how can you compare a carburator bike to a fuel injection bike >?

anyway 1190 will be one of the best bikes of 2013-2014
In your words no disrespect, but,,, what a load of bollocks.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote