ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #3586
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 955
Be careful you havent made a bigger target for a fall. Isnt the sidestand still connected to the engine case on the 1190? if so, does anyone know if the BDCW relocator or similar fixes will work? This is usually mod #1 on a 9x0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
50 pounds for a stand fix ...wow....I just reached under the bench, grabbed a bit of one eighth flat iron....out with the welder and ....walla .....a good stand fix....fact is current stand is not only too small but is too close to the centre line of the motorcycle.... all for free!!
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #3587
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,442
Looks different than the 990:










Not a good idea to mount a steel side stand to the aluminum cast engine (stress concerns if the rider mounts with the side stand down due to a rear case or duffle bag etc) . . . Maybe a steel bracket can be developed that mounts from the rear side stand frame mount and the center stand frame mount to support the side stand bracket.
__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 07:03 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #3588
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,201
I'm almost sure the sidestand is connected with one bolt to the frame and with another bolt to the engine case.
__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #3589
numbutt
john
 
numbutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Port Macquarie , NSW , AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 96
Side stand mount

With it being the shortest night of the year here, I braved the cold 15 C temperature in my garage and had a close look t the stand mount on the '' R '' KTM.
The mount is fairly substantial cast / forged iron [ a magnet sticks to it !! ] affair. It has 3 mounting points, two directly into the engine casing [ one is very solid /substantial/strong ] and the third is attached to a frame/engine mounting point. Its all a strong well mounted affair. [not like some mounts I have seen where a tab is welded to the frame of a bike and can bend when riders sit on a well lent over machine......]
My stand mod was checked that it didn't protrude beyond the bike , in other words in a fall it is unlikely to lever the mount. [although anything is of course possible ] Also given that the addition is relatively soft iron it would likely bend before damage. I can say on a previous KTM where I wanted to alter the bend of their side stand it turned out that the chrome-molly tube they use is so tough I could not bend it using a large vice and a long extension pipe as a lever..... had to heat it in the end to do the job. Try that on a Honda stand they bend like butter [so to speak !]
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #3590
numbutt
john
 
numbutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Port Macquarie , NSW , AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 96
Correction...!!

That should be ...shortest day, longest night....tut tut
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #3591
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 955
I think with 2 out of three mounts on the engine case, that would be enough for me to look into changing that. There is a long history of broken cases on the 9x0 with the amount of leverage a long arm and a short distance between the mounting bolts being a big part of it. Some guys even remove the sidestand altogether. If you plan to offroad this bike at all, figure that where you drop the bike might not be flat so, as you say, anything can happen...the fact that it appears to be tucked in out of the way and appears to be very solidly mounted may only be proven safe by thousands of users over millions of miles...something the factory cannot do during testing. While they have addressed many of the breed's issues with the 1190 (and granted my comments are coming from the ignorance of not having seen one for myself) I wish they would have separated the sidestand and engine case altogether.

BTW, unless "cold" and "15 deg C" was meant to be tongue in cheek, expect negative comments by those of us in Europe of North America who dream of winter days that warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
With it being the shortest night of the year here, I braved the cold 15 C temperature in my garage and had a close look t the stand mount on the '' R '' KTM.
The mount is fairly substantial cast / forged iron [ a magnet sticks to it !! ] affair. It has 3 mounting points, two directly into the engine casing [ one is very solid /substantial/strong ] and the third is attached to a frame/engine mounting point. Its all a strong well mounted affair. [not like some mounts I have seen where a tab is welded to the frame of a bike and can bend when riders sit on a well lent over machine......]
My stand mod was checked that it didn't protrude beyond the bike , in other words in a fall it is unlikely to lever the mount. [although anything is of course possible ] Also given that the addition is relatively soft iron it would likely bend before damage. I can say on a previous KTM where I wanted to alter the bend of their side stand it turned out that the chrome-molly tube they use is so tough I could not bend it using a large vice and a long extension pipe as a lever..... had to heat it in the end to do the job. Try that on a Honda stand they bend like butter [so to speak !]
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #3592
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer
 
igorpetrovich's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Oddometer: 181
Since I'm planning to do some serious off road I ordered and mounted the G&R alu radiator guard. It's well done and very light. KTM dosn't have one in it's powerparts yet...
The way it is the radiator is very exposed and it's easy to damage it even on the street


__________________
Ktm 1190 adv R------ Ktm 350 exc-f
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #3593
Darth
Darth
 
Darth's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Dee Why
Oddometer: 29
Pissed 1190 R - For A Shorter Inseam???

Just to change the subject somewhat.

I used to own a 990 Standard Adventure (fully blinged for touring) for about 4 years which I sold to finance a 4x4 fitout (Dumb move!!)

I am passionately keen to buy the brilliant new KTM 1190 Adventure R version. But I am short in the inseam by about 30 - 35 mm to be truly confident especially in off road stop situations and City riding.

Lowering Suspension on the new 1190R would seem to be the only real solution (as not very much available via the seat – and would affect comfort when distance riding!).


Have considered the Standard version but prefer the 21/18” wheel combo on the R version and the looks - Frankly I just want it... but the inseam is really an issue


Now, I realise reducing suspension height could adversely affect handling off road (and on road), also adjustments to side and center stand, but my 2 key questions are:


1. 1. How feasible is lowering both rear and front suspension on these bikes? ( I know they’re not in USA yet but have very similar to KTM 990 suspension)
2. 2. In anyone's experience, by lowering WP Suspension around 30mm (1 and 3/16th inches) how noticeably would handling be affected? And if so, precisely where would it be most felt or critical?


Anyone please help with some good advice - or any other thoughts and feelings!

Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #3594
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,442
You could run a 17" rear and reduce the rear spring tension and drop the front 21" in the triple clamps an inch . . . Which worked for me on a tall 950SE.
__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #3595
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
umitc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Istanbul
Oddometer: 317
Noticed yesterday, the speed shows 10-12 km more than the gps; any of you havecnoticed this? :-))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #3596
Darth
Darth
 
Darth's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Dee Why
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
You could run a 17" rear and reduce the rear spring tension and drop the front 21" in the triple clamps an inch . . . Which worked for me on a tall 950SE.
Thanks for that really good "outside the square" suggestion - will take it on board. Cheers Darth
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #3597
rompe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Spain
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
Noticed yesterday, the speed shows 10-12 km more than the gps; any of you havecnoticed this? :-))
Yes, as in almost any other motor vehicle, the real speed is increased around. 10% in the speedo.


Enviado desde mi Optimus 2X usando Tapatalk 2
__________________
My other toy has tits . . .
rompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #3598
Two Tigers
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Oddometer: 89
Bails ....


Ordered my 1190 today, pick him up next week mate!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I would stear well clear of the Ohlins, out of wAarranty they could cost you 15% of the cost of the bike to fix and there are plenty of examples of the rear units failing. Ohlins equiped bikes also seemed to need spring up grades for those over 80 kgs in weight , and a lot had clunks in the front forks, that was fixed by shims . There is no doubt that the Ohlins give a supple ride and this could be the clincher for you but for me the maintence issue was a concern that ended up being well founded.
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #3599
katoome
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Wodonga Australia
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Just to change the subject somewhat.

I used to own a 990 Standard Adventure (fully blinged for touring) for about 4 years which I sold to finance a 4x4 fitout (Dumb move!!)

I am passionately keen to buy the brilliant new KTM 1190 Adventure R version. But I am short in the inseam by about 30 - 35 mm to be truly confident especially in off road stop situations and City riding.

Lowering Suspension on the new 1190R would seem to be the only real solution (as not very much available via the seat – and would affect comfort when distance riding!).


Have considered the Standard version but prefer the 21/18” wheel combo on the R version and the looks - Frankly I just want it... but the inseam is really an issue


Now, I realise reducing suspension height could adversely affect handling off road (and on road), also adjustments to side and center stand, but my 2 key questions are:


1. 1. How feasible is lowering both rear and front suspension on these bikes? ( I know they’re not in USA yet but have very similar to KTM 990 suspension)
2. 2. In anyone's experience, by lowering WP Suspension around 30mm (1 and 3/16th inches) how noticeably would handling be affected? And if so, precisely where would it be most felt or critical?


Anyone please help with some good advice - or any other thoughts and feelings!
Mate I currently have a 990 Adv ,sat on an R and found it to be about the same seat height , have ordered one and hopefully pick it up Friday next week. Can't wait !!!!!
katoome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #3600
mobileman
West Lothian
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
Since I'm planning to do some serious off road I ordered and mounted the G&R alu radiator guard. It's well done and very light. KTM dosn't have one in it's powerparts yet...
The way it is the radiator is very exposed and it's easy to damage it even on the street


Does this guard sit well on the bike?? I agree that its strange that there is no protection on the radiator at all, even my wife's Yamaha FZ1 has a plastic protector, and thats not designed for offroad!!

Thinking of buying one, but just wanted to make sure its a decent fit
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014