ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #3781
dab68
Adventurer
 
dab68's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Pescara - ITALY
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post


Good job. Love this 2014 model.

This is an R model!!!

21" and 18"
__________________
KTM Adventure 1190 R Blue
If there is a solution, why you get angry?
If there is no solution, why you get angry?
dab68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #3782
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab68 View Post
This is an R model!!!

21" and 18"
It was an R, it's an S model now




(just giving you a hard time)
Look at standard and S 950/990 models and you'll get it
__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #3783
Bonsai Elephant
Banned
 
Bonsai Elephant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hills
Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladv View Post
Thanks hubilado. When you say "hammered" ...means I need to be more agressive with the gear change ...and the acceleration?

I wants to have news from dealer today (the bike still under observation).
When you run the engine in it doesn't do any good to pussyfoot around it, you need to run through the gears a lot, get some stress on the engine and make it work a bit.

I think it's better to exceed manufacturer's recommendations a little and do an oil change half way through than stick to them and wait it out to change the oil.

But there are as many opinions on this as there are new bikes, and mine's worth exactly what you paid for it!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #3784
shay
reading is hard
 
shay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Ireland
Oddometer: 250
Can someone please check and photograph their brake lever area to see what's missing / fallen off my bike?



I've no idea when the cover for this area beside the brake lever fell off

Thanks!

Edit: false alarm, I found the photos in the manual, there isn't a missing cover, phew !!! Shows how bad my pre bike checks have been before this !!
__________________


shay screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 02:56 PM
shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #3785
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 357
hehe good i was about to look at it :) glad read all the text :)
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #3786
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Corsica101's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sint Maarten...no bike:(
Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
1700 miles in and a trip to Jerez for the GP, my thoughts on the R...

The good...
- Standard seat is really comfy for long journeys- better than the Renazco on my 990!!
- Standard screen is great- we were cruising at 90-100mph!
- good acceleration, really strong!
- very smooth engine at cruising speed!

The bad...
- Bike weaves at high speeds- feels very unstable- anyone else have this? Maybe I'm expecting too much considering it has a 21" front wheel, but my 990 didn't weave like this thing! I had s puncture on the rear tyre so maybe I've messed up the tyre from riding it flat?
- melted a whole into my trousers on the pipe!

Overall I'm happy, but that high speed stability issue is quite dangerous, so would be interested in others comments...

Did an 1800km trip, kept my speed low since I still had to do my 1000km service, done at 2400k's :(, so fastest I went was 160km/hr or something. All stable at that speed for me.
What do you call high speed?

Found the standard small screen too low and creating a fair bit of turbulence...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #3787
Barekat
Looking to get dirty
 
Barekat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 116
One of reasons I'm looking at the KTM is to enjoy the back roads. Here is a great video of the 1190 on road, dirt and water. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngn_N6KZqM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Did an 1800km trip, kept my speed low since I still had to do my 1000km service, done at 2400k's :(, so fastest I went was 160km/hr or something. All stable at that speed for me.
What do you call high speed?

Found the standard small screen too low and creating a fair bit of turbulence...
__________________
2005 750 Kat Custom bar risers w/SV1000 bars, A'ME Heated Grips, Givi PL533, Givi E36NJ, Chopped shovel, modded windscreen with chopped Lockhart Phillips Euro Speed Screen, CyberPoet's mirror extenders, FP 5 Degree Advancer, Ballistic 12 Cell EVO2 battery, Fumoto F-111
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #3788
Audun
Adventurer
 
Audun's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 68
Nothing new but still fun to read..

http://www.billysbikes.co.za/tests/1...dventures.html

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #3789
cladv
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
When you run the engine in it doesn't do any good to pussyfoot around it, you need to run through the gears a lot, get some stress on the engine and make it work a bit.

I think it's better to exceed manufacturer's recommendations a little and do an oil change half way through than stick to them and wait it out to change the oil.

But there are as many opinions on this as there are new bikes, and mine's worth exactly what you paid for it!

Finally my bike is back.

The dealer believes at first service they changed the oil, but using a low level of this. As you mention, now they are filling a little bit extra in this model.

By the way, other bike had a similar problem. In this case the rider was flying at 270km/h. Apparently the high pressure can cause a problem if the components aren't correctly set.
__________________
CL-Adv.
cladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #3790
Bonsai Elephant
Banned
 
Bonsai Elephant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hills
Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladv View Post
Finally my bike is back.

The dealer believes at first service they changed the oil, but using a low level of this. As you mention, now they are filling a little bit extra in this model.

By the way, other bike had a similar problem. In this case the rider was flying at 270km/h. Apparently the high pressure can cause a problem if the components aren't correctly set.


Er, yeah, it just might!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #3791
aus636
Adventurer
 
aus636's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Gold Coast
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladv View Post
Finally my bike is back.

The dealer believes at first service they changed the oil, but using a low level of this. As you mention, now they are filling a little bit extra in this model.

By the way, other bike had a similar problem. In this case the rider was flying at 270km/h. Apparently the high pressure can cause a problem if the components aren't correctly set.
Come on these bikes are designed to be ridden hard or else what is the point of buying one. Like some people say ride it as if you stole it and just remember to change the oil regularly
__________________
Do as much as you can when you can
aus636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #3792
cladv
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 27
Yep. That it's the idea.
__________________
CL-Adv.
cladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #3793
Audun
Adventurer
 
Audun's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
Come on these bikes are designed to be ridden hard or else what is the point of buying one. Like some people say ride it as if you stole it and just remember to change the oil regularly
My run in rules:
1. Make long runs, no 10 km commuting on run in.
2. Make sure oil and coolant is warm, then ride actively. (Impossible if breaking rule 1)
3. No redline rpms the first 1k km, but no puddling around at 2000 rpm either.

In short, all parts in engine needs to get warm and THEN wear to perfect fit. Note that the oil do not get warm as quickly as the coolant. Use the display we have on the 1190. Get as much of the wear particles out the first 1k km. The metal you tear loose after that is likely to be in the engine the next 15k km.
Feel free to comment, but it will not matter to me since mine is done.

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #3794
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss
 
6USMC6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The "Upper" Valley of the Shenandoah.
Oddometer: 4,321
There is some guy who has a website and he advocates breaking new bikes in hard. Run the piss out of it, up through the gears and get it up to redline - just don't hold it there.

I broke a 2007 950 SMR in that way and unlike every other 950 I've heard about, mine used no oil and it ran very strong.
__________________
Mike -

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #3795
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
There is some guy who has a website and he advocates breaking new bikes in hard. Run the piss out of it, up through the gears and get it up to redline - just don't hold it there.

I broke a 2007 950 SMR in that way and unlike every other 950 I've heard about, mine used no oil and it ran very strong.
Yeah I've heard that from people who rebuild performance car engines, they will run them on the dyno for like 10 hours of all different rpm ranges but give them runs of full throttle..

The corvette engines were tested on full throttle for 24 hours to make sure they dont break before putting them in the cars, Gen 4's or something.. My project manager trainer used to work for GM told me that.
speed_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014