ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #4171
The "OC"
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Man you guys and the heat issue..

It doesn't bother me but it might in summer..

Here is the ultimate fix...

Buy exhaust wrap and wrap your exhaust!!! At a cost of $30 from eBay.. It's so easily fixed I dunno why people whinge about it so much.. Lol
Has anyone done this on the KTM 1190? look a bit odd having an adventure bike with a wrapped exhaust, just saying
The "OC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #4172
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by The "OC" View Post
Has anyone done this on the KTM 1190? look a bit odd having an adventure bike with a wrapped exhaust, just saying
Many 690 owners do.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #4173
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I have wrapped it just a couple of weeks after I have purchased the bike, not much change; planning to take them out, leaving just the rear cylinder's. You looked too optimistic to me about this. :-)))))
Anyway, it depends on how warm your summers are, as I have mentioned, last week I was travelling sub 20 C places and there was no disturbing heat.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #4174
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
So it seems that finally wrapping the exhaust and putting a heat insulator under the seat doesn't make any difference correct ?

How about the side fairings, were the knees attach to the tank. Do you think its worth purchasing the protector stickers or its hard to get some scratches on that surface ?
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #4175
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Seems like it.
:-(((

I have no scratches so far.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #4176
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Man you guys and the heat issue..

It doesn't bother me but it might in summer..

Here is the ultimate fix...

Buy exhaust wrap and wrap your exhaust!!! At a cost of $30 from eBay.. It's so easily fixed I dunno why people whinge about it so much.. Lol
that's the cheap fix
but on a stupidly expensive bike the way to go is a full system w/ cat delete and appropriate mapping, that alone will bring temps way down

or cat delete/mapping with oem pipe and heat coated as the wrap will end rotting the pipe as water is retained
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #4177
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

On a stupidely expensive bike we shouldn't deal with these :-))))
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #4178
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
On a stupidely expensive bike we shouldn't deal with these :-))))
I joined thinking right, I am done with super bikes, enjoy my past KTM 300's so doing my first trip on a new Adventure would be a great start on ADVrider...what a disappointment.

I rode my new Adventure this week in the front door,wheeled it onto KTM's floor,threw the key down and told them to sell this piece of......I am fed up with this 'brilliant' bike from KTM.

I fitted a crap load of KTM Powerparts, well new the top box from KTM was faulty, the comfort kit screen was damaged, the tank bag could not be fitted as the clear protection kit does not fit, from KTM again and I had to find this out the day I land from China, in my garage as I'm packing to ride.

My steering started to knock under braking after 700km,KTM tell me the stem had come lose..lovely...glad I did not go on the tour with the wife.

As I leave another KTM like mine comes in on a trailer,broken side stand spring which is a problem when you leaning and the spring jumps off, drops the stand and cuts the bike out I am told.Dealer tells me they replacing the springs, fitting heat shields to the seat,checking fuel breather lines and steering dampers for bush failure and now add steering headers coming lose now the list of warranty repairs is impressive for KTM.

So wrapping a pipe is the least of my worries with KTM and their dealers.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #4179
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
I'd suggest you don't buy a GS either.
They're having even more dramas.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #4180
aus636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
1190 problems

So why do you thinks these problems are happening bad Quality Control and high demand so they are just punching these bike out.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4181
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
The watercooled GS and the 1190 are both new models.
We, the buyers, want them yesterday.
The manufacturers get them to us as quickly as possible and the early ones have teething issues.
My 1190R had a bad front tyre from new. KTM don't make it, but it should have been picked up when it was balanced.
When those tyres arrive in Australia, KTM said they will replace it under warranty.
It has 5000km on it now and apart from that tyre, it has been flawless.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #4182
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
It's called mass production, you think they fabricate all of the parts by themself?
Some issues are from KTM engineering mistakes, they can't cover everything into detail. Gremlins wil always show up with a big number of units. It's up to KTM to go back to the drawing board and comming up with a solution.
Nonetheless it sux to have a 15.000euro bike with reliability issues. You lose time and money over it, 2 things you don't want to lose after coughing up that ammount of money.

Some other issues are from other MFG's that deliver bad batches to KTM. KTM throws, let's say, a job to make 100.000 units of sidestand springs on the market. Suppliers wil bid on that, the lowest bids wil then be asked to make samples. After quality checkup compared to price a supplier wil be chosen. (but 9/10 it's the price that makes the choice... Keeps the pice of the bike down and profit up.) Supplier delivers bad or underspecced batch and your sidestandspring breaks after 3000km.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #4183
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Some other issues are from other MFG's that deliver bad batches to KTM. KTM throws, let's say, a job to make 100.000 units of sidestand springs on the market. Suppliers wil bid on that, the lowest bids wil then be asked to make samples. After quality checkup compared to price a supplier wil be chosen. (but 9/10 it's the price that makes the choice... Keeps the pice of the bike down and profit up.) Supplier delivers bad or underspecced batch and your sidestandspring breaks after 3000km.
This...

it happens every where. management wants to cut the cost. some chosen suppliers make some samples (which are usually perfect made).
at the end of the test trail, the one that passes the tests and is the cheapest gets the order.
but then mass production starts, and then often some problems start to appear.
or the manufacture has an unstable process so the quality fluctuates. or the manufacture him self wants to cut the cost and uses less quality material....
But the main problem is that the problems start to appear after some time when the product is already in use at the customers.

the only thing what a good brand can do is perform a recall free of charge to change the suspected parts. but of course the local dealer ship/ mechanic has to do a good job as wel. because good parts that are bad assembled still makes it a bad product.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #4184
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Becuase the manufacturer charges top dollar for a bike built from a bunch of parts from the cheapest bidder.
You did know ktm are an Indian company now, did'nt you?

Springs breaking-poor metal,
Stands breaking - poor metal.

Where are they recycling old ships, scrap etc..?

Just keep your fingers crossed that the crank, cams, gears, valves etc weren't made there as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #4185
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
You did know ktm are an Indian company now, did'nt you?
Is it? I know that the 125, 200 and 390 duke are manufactured in india under some joint venture, but nothing else is made there. Where did you get that info from? Please link.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote