Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #4186
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
Is it? I know that the 125, 200 and 390 duke are manufactured in india under some joint venture, but nothing else is made there. Where did you get that info from? Please link.
Google "Bajaj buys Ktm" for all the info you need.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #4187
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Daily Telegraph review-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...re-review.html

:)=

grizzlyj screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 10:20 AM
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #4188
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
I can't find anything that shows Bajaj owning more than 47%.

In November 2007, Indian two-wheeler manufacturer Bajaj Auto acquired 14.5% stake in KTM Power Sports AG (parent company of KTM Sportmotorcycles AG). The two companies have signed a cooperation deal, by which KTM will provide the know-how for joint development of the water-cooled 4-stroke 125 cc and 200 cc engines, and Bajaj will take over the distribution of KTM products in India and some other Southeast Asian nations. In December 2007, Bajaj increased their stake to more than 20%. Bajaj increased its share to 38.09% in November 2010.[6] As of March 2012 Bajaj Auto holds a 47% stake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #4189
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 98
Reliability

Good news and bad news.......so far my 1190R has done 4000Km and all is well, touch wood. Only real complaint is the poorly designed side stand and stand mount. Adding a base load spreader does little to correct poor design. The problem is with the mount......it needs to be at a different angle so that a longer side stand can be used and then still fold back correctly along the swinging arm. Oil drop from the chain dropping on the exhaust I have solved with a catch pan just under drive sprocket.
The bad news is that given what one reads on the KTM 690R thread [and I have followed it through 1000 odd pages ] [ I have owned one from new ], don't expect KTM to rush you with any fixes or updates. The 690 has been plagued by fuel pump failures, poor idle mapping [flame-outs ] and lately we are seeing valve rocker failures . The fuel pump failures are so frequently reported that many inmates have at their own cost fitted an after market upgraded fuel pump. [ I have fitted a second pump and can run on either ]. I suspect that many people thinking of purchasing a 690R have decided not to proceed after reading the thread. Recently an Ozzie and a Pom rod two 690R's from UK to Australia [ a sort of ''long way around'' ]. Not one but both broke down in Russia with dead fuel pumps with very difficult overstay visa problems as a result. This is all in a DVD '' Continental Drift '' widely distributed with magazine issue recently. In my opinion very poor on KTM ....at very least every customer [ bike owner ...we are customers ! ] should have been supplied FOC. with a new upgraded pump. What was nearly as bad was that I was going to give the DVD, proudly, to my mate with a lowly DR650, but now just imagine the ragging he would now give me.........DR"s don't brake down........
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #4190
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Surely there are many parts made in India, or cheaper materials used from India, but I am sure that this sort of cheaper sourcing is done by all kind of manufacturers today. The only thing that matters is, how carefully those suppliers and their supplies are chosen to be used on yhe bike or controlled before the assembly line. Thinking a BMW for instance is totally and purely made in Germany is funny.

In brief, yes maybe the 1190 is produced in Austria, unlike the 125s; but this doesn't prevent them to use eastern parts on it. My guess at first sight is, the horn and the indicator button :-))))))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #4191
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
It had nothing tot do with India... Those parts come from all over the world.

Suzuki outboards are build in Thailand and they are far from bad quality.

Corporate company's outsourcing their production tot low-cost countries is nothing new.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #4192
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post

Corporate company's outsourcing their production tot low-cost countries is nothing new.
This is true, bit you soon learn that much of the stuff coming from the far east is utter shite quality, unless the mother company has set up and is actively managing production.

I'm a builder and only buy tools manufactured in the west now, the stuff I've had from china/india has usually fallen apart after the first couple of uses, pale imitations at best.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #4193
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
This is true, bit you soon learn that much of the stuff coming from the far east is utter shite quality, unless the mother company has set up and is actively managing production.

I'm a builder and only buy tools manufactured in the west now, the stuff I've had from china/india has usually fallen apart after the first couple of uses, pale imitations at best.

There you go, where those OEM branded tools? Like, did they have the same brand as your good quality tools? There's the key difference.

Bad batches wil be made in every country, all factories wil try to cut the cost and increase profits. Not to mention the guy at the production line itself, he can fail at his work aswell. So can the quality manager, ect, etc.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #4194
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
My guess at first sight is, the horn and the indicator button :-))))))))
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=1190+horn
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #4195
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
There you go, where those OEM branded tools? Like, did they have the same brand as your good quality tools? There's the key difference.

Bad batches wil be made in every country, all factories wil try to cut the cost and increase profits. Not to mention the guy at the production line itself, he can fail at his work aswell. So can the quality manager, ect, etc.
I dont look at brand anymore with tools, just where they are made. West is best, east is 'very often' shite.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4196
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
Good news and bad news.......so far my 1190R has done 4000Km and all is well, touch wood. Only real complaint is the poorly designed side stand and stand mount. Adding a base load spreader does little to correct poor design. The problem is with the mount......it needs to be at a different angle so that a longer side stand can be used and then still fold back correctly along the swinging arm. Oil drop from the chain dropping on the exhaust I have solved with a catch pan just under drive sprocket.
The bad news is that given what one reads on the KTM 690R thread [and I have followed it through 1000 odd pages ] [ I have owned one from new ], don't expect KTM to rush you with any fixes or updates. The 690 has been plagued by fuel pump failures, poor idle mapping [flame-outs ] and lately we are seeing valve rocker failures . The fuel pump failures are so frequently reported that many inmates have at their own cost fitted an after market upgraded fuel pump. [ I have fitted a second pump and can run on either ]. I suspect that many people thinking of purchasing a 690R have decided not to proceed after reading the thread. Recently an Ozzie and a Pom rod two 690R's from UK to Australia [ a sort of ''long way around'' ]. Not one but both broke down in Russia with dead fuel pumps with very difficult overstay visa problems as a result. This is all in a DVD '' Continental Drift '' widely distributed with magazine issue recently. In my opinion very poor on KTM ....at very least every customer [ bike owner ...we are customers ! ] should have been supplied FOC. with a new upgraded pump. What was nearly as bad was that I was going to give the DVD, proudly, to my mate with a lowly DR650, but now just imagine the ragging he would now give me.........DR"s don't brake down........
Aha. Now I understand why KTM stated that Ewan and Charlie would not make it through road of bones. It had nothing to do with the riders, but the bikes they wanted....

Audun
(1190 adv - 9600 km and a long list of things to fix at next service for KTM)
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #4197
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I dont look at brand anymore with tools, just where they are made. West is best, east is 'very often' shite.
there is still a difference between tools made in the west also.

But enough off-topic i guess, i've been spoiling this thread enough by now.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #4198
Jim Colombotos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Opps wrong thread

Jim Colombotos screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 09:57 PM
Jim Colombotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #4199
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
I joined thinking right, I am done with super bikes, enjoy my past KTM 300's so doing my first trip on a new Adventure would be a great start on ADVrider...what a disappointment.

I rode my new Adventure this week in the front door,wheeled it onto KTM's floor,threw the key down and told them to sell this piece of......I am fed up with this 'brilliant' bike from KTM.

I fitted a crap load of KTM Powerparts, well new the top box from KTM was faulty, the comfort kit screen was damaged, the tank bag could not be fitted as the clear protection kit does not fit, from KTM again and I had to find this out the day I land from China, in my garage as I'm packing to ride.

My steering started to knock under braking after 700km,KTM tell me the stem had come lose..lovely...glad I did not go on the tour with the wife.

As I leave another KTM like mine comes in on a trailer,broken side stand spring which is a problem when you leaning and the spring jumps off, drops the stand and cuts the bike out I am told.Dealer tells me they replacing the springs, fitting heat shields to the seat,checking fuel breather lines and steering dampers for bush failure and now add steering headers coming lose now the list of warranty repairs is impressive for KTM.

So wrapping a pipe is the least of my worries with KTM and their dealers.
so are they selling it? or did you take it back with some dealer recall fixes in place?

If your selling it, do you want to unload some of those powerparts to us inmates?

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #4200
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Becuase the manufacturer charges top dollar for a bike built from a bunch of parts from the cheapest bidder.
You did know ktm are an Indian company now, did'nt you?

Springs breaking-poor metal,
Stands breaking - poor metal.

Where are they recycling old ships, scrap etc..?

Just keep your fingers crossed that the crank, cams, gears, valves etc weren't made there as well.

thats funny... this production line doesnt look indian to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcpmi-H1dtA

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote