ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #4381
dragos
Belzebut
 
dragos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Europe (Romania, Germany, UK)
Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
I made my own review with some general info. Let me know if you think it sucks!
It's very useful and informative. Thanks for that.

What model are those small side racks (guess they are for soft luggage). What luggage are you using with those?
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #4382
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: SE Melb
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
It's very useful and informative. Thanks for that.

What model are those small side racks (guess they are for soft luggage). What luggage are you using with those?
The racks were made by Andy Strapz. I made a video about them too.
http://youtu.be/E4D6V7CKqHc

Im glad you like the video. If it helps 1 person its job done for me
Nerb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #4383
dragos
Belzebut
 
dragos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Europe (Romania, Germany, UK)
Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
The racks were made by Andy Strapz. I made a video about them too.
Amazing!
Thanks a lot for the info.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #4384
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
The initial remark and my reply are both related to the MSC, not any other past or future modification on any given model. 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure can be upgraded with MSC.




Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Yeap, on that we agree. My consideration is about other parts that may be not fine, not to be changed by a recall, but they are going to be replaced in the new year model. Thus the example with the subframe. Thats my main thought of waiting half a year or going to hit the shop those weeks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
As long as your subfrale doesn't break, there's no issue.
Mine did break and it was replaced under warranty...

Sorry, i totally disagree on KTMs move on that topic. Once you replace a subframe because KTM knows that they did a shitty job, they should replace all subframes and not just those who brake or are unter warranty.
What if someones brake 1-2 years outside warranty ?

There are some stuff that have to changed entirely on every single bike not matter the cost. Why ? because we talk about safety. It's something like the central stand on the 1190 .

People report about the central bike braking. I've read already over 10 posts about this. Why don't i see any recall on that ? Yes KTM is change the broken stands on those bikes. What will do KTM if a kid is standing next to a bike who is about to fall ?

How about the lean angle? If my footpegs allow me to lean, then thats were they leaning "should" stop. Not to hear me stand scratching the tarmac.

Sorry but all companies, as well KTM is doing some big shit when it comes to safety.

And stuff like those above i am hoping to see fixed in the 2014 and think again and again if its worth waiting.


Sorry for the long post.
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #4385
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Schussboelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Sorry, i totally disagree on KTMs move on that topic. Once you replace a subframe because KTM knows that they did a shitty job, they should replace all subframes and not just those who brake or are unter warranty.
What if someones brake 1-2 years outside warranty ?

There are some stuff that have to changed entirely on every single bike not matter the cost. Why ? because we talk about safety. It's something like the central stand on the 1190 .

People report about the central bike braking. I've read already over 10 posts about this. Why don't i see any recall on that ? Yes KTM is change the broken stands on those bikes. What will do KTM if a kid is standing next to a bike who is about to fall ?

How about the lean angle? If my footpegs allow me to lean, then thats were they leaning "should" stop. Not to hear me stand scratching the tarmac.

Sorry but all companies, as well KTM is doing some big shit when it comes to safety.

And stuff like those above i am hoping to see fixed in the 2014 and think again and again if its worth waiting.


Sorry for the long post.
Well I understand your stand on the matter.
In that respect I would definately advize to wait.
It's the same with pretty much everything, from bikes to smartphones, 2nd is always better and more bullert proof than the first gen.
Also see KTM's RC8 with the gearbox issues on the '08 vs the '09 update (although that was replaced in a general recall).
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #4386
Darth
Darth
 
Darth's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney Dee Why
Oddometer: 30
Question Some 1190 (Std) Perspectives from an ex 990 owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
The racks were made by Andy Strapz. I made a video about them too.
http://youtu.be/E4D6V7CKqHc

Im glad you like the video. If it helps 1 person its job done for me
Thanks for your video contributions Nerb. Your video work is crisp, informative and above all, useful.

Here are some perspectives on the 1190 Standard - bought only a few weeks ago. I have not ridden it much as I would have liked - but am still farkling and setting it up for more dirt.

A little background to this post is important though - for any one interested:
Used to have a 990, which I sold to equip a 4x4. I truly wanted the R, but just could not take the chance due to short inseam - still hanker for the R though.

As for the 1190 Standard:
Overall, I am enjoying the bike more with each ride, and I certainly appreciate the absolutely magnificent performance, hi- tech aids, and many of the handling advantages and refinements over the 990. BUT….. if I’m really honest (at this stage anyway), I still somewhat hanker for my 990. Possibly because:
· I had done so much riding on it through all sorts of terrain,
· the fact that I had it set up with Panniers etc…
· More suspension travel with the same saddle height as the 1190
· Better wheel /tyre sizes and options
· I also just happen to think the 990 is a more funky and characterful bike - I guess because, like all of us, I have Dirt Bike roots!
· Personally I think the 990 will always be a classic and still will be in demand in future. It also seems so much more versatile the the 1190 (std anyway)!
Maybe what I really need to do, is a back to back ride on one of the later 990’s (with better throttle fuelling and other small mods) – or alternatively, get a leg transplant so I can ride the 1190“R” model! But it is early days, and as they say, “to know is to love”! So watch this space - especially when I get it more set up for dirt!


I will also take this opportunity to ask if anyone has set up the 1190 Std up for Dirt? If so, please could you post up some of your experiences? I have followed up almost every thread since the Europe launch and there's almost nothing about the 1190 Std on dirt or modifying for dirt?
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #4387
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Pleasanton, Ca
Oddometer: 2,098
Intresting article that helps explain the electronics. Sorry if its a repost, but I have not read every thread

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...rol/23615.html
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #4388
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
I will also take this opportunity to ask if anyone has set up the 1190 Std up for Dirt? If so, please could you post up some of your experiences? I have followed up almost every thread since the Europe launch and there's almost nothing about the 1190 Std on dirt or modifying for dirt?
This is the problem I had when I bought the F650 GS instead of the F800 GS.. I purely bought it because it had F650 on the side and I could ride it partially legally on my Learners.. even though the Learner Approved Motorcycles referred to the older F650 which were a 650cc..

I was never happy with the suspension on it, or the ground clearance.. I did my best to set it up for off road but in the end, i was always urging for the f800..

In the case of the KTM, I didn't want to make the same choice, I wanted the R..

Now the things i found with the street vs the dirt versions are...
- suspension, just trying to get that right will send you on an endless loop.. could be different for the ktm due to its heritage though..
- ground clearance, again comes back to suspension.. my solution was get a really good bash plate and be prepared you might need to bash it out or buy a new one later on..

Now the interesting thing is everyone talks of poor tyre choice, I believe the adv std is running 19/17 right? well, I havent found a problem with ordering these in the past. you can get tkc80's or mitas (e07 or e10's) in these easily.. although for some reason they are a little more expensive..

So once you have done these changes, i think you will be in the same boat as I was and still urging for the more dirt orientated bike.. sorry if this has burst your bubble..

You do have the choice of upgrading to bigger wheels, lower seat and raising suspension though (i think you will have 2 or 3cm in the front if you move the triple clamps all the way up and adjust the back spring to suit.. But your pooring money into it like a water fountain..
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #4389
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Intresting article that helps explain the electronics. Sorry if its a repost, but I have not read every thread

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...rol/23615.html
So is this the same system as on our current adventure R's? not that i want to risk trying it.. but would be good to know..
__________________
13' KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #4390
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Pleasanton, Ca
Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
So is this the same system as on our current adventure R's? not that i want to risk trying it.. but would be good to know..

yes I believe its the same
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #4391
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon
 
Womble_CH's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: French Alps
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
So is this the same system as on our current adventure R's? not that i want to risk trying it.. but would be good to know..
You will have to upgrade ! The current 1190 @ (R or T) are not equiped. So don't try it !!
Mass-production of MSC starts in December and it might be for 2014 bikes first only, not sure when the kit will be availble to upgrade 2013 bikes. If it's like with the rest of the PP parts, it may be well into 2014.


Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #4392
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Thanks for your video contributions Nerb. Your video work is crisp, informative and above all, useful.

Here are some perspectives on the 1190 Standard - bought only a few weeks ago. I have not ridden it much as I would have liked - but am still farkling and setting it up for more dirt.

A little background to this post is important though - for any one interested:
Used to have a 990, which I sold to equip a 4x4. I truly wanted the R, but just could not take the chance due to short inseam - still hanker for the R though.

As for the 1190 Standard:
Overall, I am enjoying the bike more with each ride, and I certainly appreciate the absolutely magnificent performance, hi- tech aids, and many of the handling advantages and refinements over the 990. BUT….. if I’m really honest (at this stage anyway), I still somewhat hanker for my 990. Possibly because:
· I had done so much riding on it through all sorts of terrain,
· the fact that I had it set up with Panniers etc…
· More suspension travel with the same saddle height as the 1190
· Better wheel /tyre sizes and options
· I also just happen to think the 990 is a more funky and characterful bike - I guess because, like all of us, I have Dirt Bike roots!
· Personally I think the 990 will always be a classic and still will be in demand in future. It also seems so much more versatile the the 1190 (std anyway)!
Maybe what I really need to do, is a back to back ride on one of the later 990’s (with better throttle fuelling and other small mods) – or alternatively, get a leg transplant so I can ride the 1190“R” model! But it is early days, and as they say, “to know is to love”! So watch this space - especially when I get it more set up for dirt!


I will also take this opportunity to ask if anyone has set up the 1190 Std up for Dirt? If so, please could you post up some of your experiences? I have followed up almost every thread since the Europe launch and there's almost nothing about the 1190 Std on dirt or modifying for dirt?
I don't understand what you mean by modifying 1190 for dirt? There lots of videos in youtube about 1190 std. Doing offroad, all you need is off road tires you can also have skid plate under the bike. You are almost insulting the 1190 for saying that. Let me find you some videos .

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lngn_N6KZqM

I don't know what you expecting from this bike but it's clearly not a Ducati Multisrada it can do dirt, well yes it can't may be take you to Dakar or it might not perform as good as 1190 r but still it's an adventure bike. It can do anything that bmw gs1200 LC can do !

Tancakar screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 12:38 AM
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #4393
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
You will have to upgrade ! The current 1190 @ (R or T) are not equiped. So don't try it !!
Mass-production of MSC starts in December and it might be for 2014 bikes first only, not sure when the kit will be availble to upgrade 2013 bikes. If it's like with the rest of the PP parts, it may be well into 2014.


Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
I understand (but am happy to be corrected !) that it is simply a software upgrade for 2013 bikes and, in the UK, we have been told it will be available in December this year.
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #4394
rompe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Spain
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I understand (but am happy to be corrected !) that it is simply a software upgrade for 2013 bikes and, in the UK, we have been told it will be available in December this year.
It seems like the upgrade also requires a piece of hardware.
__________________
My other toy has tits . . .
rompe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #4395
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon
 
Womble_CH's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: French Alps
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I understand (but am happy to be corrected !) that it is simply a software upgrade for 2013 bikes and, in the UK, we have been told it will be available in December this year.
My mistake :( yes its said to b available in Dec. Its the MY 2014 bikes that will start production in Dec.


Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014