Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #4441
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
Provide your solution by links. Which items would you buy for plastic cases and mounting racks?
You can mount Caribou (adapted Pelican) and there are a lot of plastic options (and also aluminium) from Hepco & Becker.
Hopefully Givi will be available as well at some moment.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #4442
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
Do you happen to know that there isn't available rack/mounting system from Givi - hopefully yet?
So how and why do you insist?

Go to Givi web page (http://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle) and apart from the fact the articles are still under production, you will see Givi's intention: to sell the new aluminium luggages "trekker outback" and not the classic plastic cases you mention.
Givi: top box plastic / side luggages aluminium

Provide your solution by links. Which items would you buy for plastic cases and mounting racks?
don't get it wrong. i told you i dont find anything wrong for someone to get aluminium cases, its personal preference .from my point of view i would not. :)

as for givi, it states on the website:

PLR7703 :Specific rapid release side case holder for MONOKEY® cases

I don't know if this is meant for the racks or if its in production. But even if there is an option on plastic case, many people still continue to buy alu. That is my point that i do not find some really good reason "why" . :)

Really, don't feel like arguing about such a topic. People can put whatever they like on their bikes and i can have my opinion about what i find logical/practical on my bike. I hope you do agree on that :)
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #4443
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
My question is why would someone get an aluminum case ? ...Even in a static fall of the bike, its easy to bend the mounting points on an aluminum case.
They look more adventury
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #4444
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Can one of you photoshop guru's add

Renazco 9*0 seat.. normal straight across seat
Black Dog proper Skid plate
Thanks for the compliment. You can bet we will be working on a "proper skid plate" and a WHOLE lot more as soon as we can get our hands on a bike!!!! Can't wait!!
Kurt

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #4445
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
What stops you from locking stuff in a good Givi plastic case ?
It locks good, it is not as sensitive as aluminium and the black color matches better with the bike. Oh yes, and its cheaper.

Don't want to sound strange, but i just don't see a reason. Ok they might look more luxurius, but is that what you want on a bike? I've seen 2 bikes bending the mounts on the cases just because they fell on the side.

Anyway, i understand that the aluminium is more expensive than abs, but think about it. You can get almost 2 plastic cases at the same price of 1 aluminium.

Example? Someone may need over 1000$ to put the aluminium of touratech? Why ? Does someone believe that 3 squere meter aluminium + effort is worth that money ? Better to spend 500$ and the rest on gas.

All in all, i dont blame anyone for putting alu cases. I respect that, i just have another opinion about that topic :)
My solution on my 1190T:

Cheap lockable old Kappa plastic for topcase.
KTM alu cases for sides.

MY reasons:
Top case is used for everyday use. Easy to remove, lightweigth, keeps the water out (the stock KTM does not), fits my helmet (not KTM stock) etc....
The side cases are top loading, which most plastics are not (at least not full opening). They have possibility to strap things on top and can be used as table and chair due to the square form. Alu is pretty easy to mend also. A hammer and some screws/nails sorts things nicely out :)
In short, I selected the best from both worlds, in my humble opinion. Can't argue about the price issue though

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #4446
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
Thanks for the compliment. You can bet we will be working on a "proper skid plate" and a WHOLE lot more as soon as we can get our hands on a bike!!!! Can't wait!!
Kurt
Your welcome you have earned it.. The kickstand is mounted to the Frame again..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #4447
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun View Post
My solution on my 1190T:

Cheap lockable old Kappa plastic for topcase.
KTM alu cases for sides.

MY reasons:
Top case is used for everyday use. Easy to remove, lightweigth, keeps the water out (the stock KTM does not), fits my helmet (not KTM stock) etc....
The side cases are top loading, which most plastics are not (at least not full opening). They have possibility to strap things on top and can be used as table and chair due to the square form. Alu is pretty easy to mend also. A hammer and some screws/nails sorts things nicely out :)
In short, I selected the best from both worlds, in my humble opinion. Can't argue about the price issue though

Audun
My KTM original cases (all three) are water proof, fairly easy to remove, especially the top one, and two out of three boxes fit a full face integral helmet no problems! Just saying.
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #4448
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

I got an air filter specific question.
Why is everybody replacing it with a uni filter ? Is there any problem with the OEM filter ?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #4449
Bianchi
n00b

Oddometer: 9
http://www.matkaendurot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20831&start=390

Just look at the pictures in this Finnish thread. There is more on the subject in this thread somewhere, I think.
Bianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #4450
Trail newb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Yep

Quote:
I got an air filter specific question.
Why is everybody replacing it with a uni filter ? Is there any problem with the OEM filter ?
Yep, I picked up my bike a few weeks ago and it has had a full uni filter kit installed. The stock set up consisted of only the paper filter apparently. I know someone else on the forum drowned their 1190 so I already had a kit sitting in the shed ready to install! The air box didn't seal well enough to stop dust or water entering so the kit has pre filters in the intakes, a foam gasket and re-useable foam filter. Lucky I double checked with the dealer before I pulled it all apart to install the kit I bought!!!
the orange foam hanging out of the air box caught my eye as I was about to attack the tank removal phase......
I'm certain they were worried about our dusty conditions down here too. Sorry for the long winded answer, there is technically nothing wrong with the air filter just the things that are meant to seal it....
Trail newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #4451
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Your welcome you have earned it.. The kickstand is mounted to the Frame again..
I think you meant to say "engine"....but anyway, I was surprised to see the small screw in the photo, so I looked up a euro parts fiche and the bracket is held to the case with 3 x 6mm screws. It looks to me like KTM has addressed this 9x0 issue, just not the way most expected. I would assume that the intent is for the screws to break off in the event of a fall onto the stand, leaving the case intact...anyone else have any info on this, or practical experience...

Not trying to say this is a good idea...a frame mounted stand would be more bullet proof...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #4452
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post
http://www.matkaendurot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20831&start=390

Just look at the pictures in this Finnish thread. There is more on the subject in this thread somewhere, I think.

Ok , i think that the pictures show the problem.
So aftermarket is the way to go...

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #4453
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
[URL=http://s850.photobucket.com/user/Craigo5/media/photo3_zpsc1d65e2c.jpg.html][IMG]
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #4454
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Home made heat shields

Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #4455
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Foot peg spacers

Foot peg spacers, much better for riding when standing.