Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #4516
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Agree, as i hope you also agree that the airbox should be sealed better :)
No argument from me there, but it only took $69.95 and 1/2hr out of my life to fix it.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #4517
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
No argument from me there, but it only took $69.95 and 1/2hr out of my life to fix it.
are you saying it took you only 30mins to replace the filter?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #4518
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
The prefilters are a course foam that will not stop much dust, but will stop heavier particles getting in.
I dunno about that. The inlet filters are oiled and the oiled foam pre-filter I had on the Tiger 800 kept the air box and main filter mint. I think I'm gonna try the Uni kit.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #4519
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
are you saying it took you only 30mins to replace the filter?
About 30mins. Yes.
Once you know the sequence to remove the panels and tank it's not that hard.

I will admit that the first time I tried (fitting heated grips) it took much longer.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #4520
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 895

This is not going to be as easy as 9x0 side stand relocation. There is nothing there to bolt it to and not block oil drain bolts . At least I didn't see anything during a brief look at the dealer. May be a tough skid plate that also hold the stand?! Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #4521
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
There were close to a dozen solutions that people came up with for the 9X0 side stands - some of which moved back and used the passenger foot rest brackets. Someone will come up with something.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #4522
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Not that anyone noticed it....

...the last time I posted it a few pages back, but the 1190 stand is only mounted with 6mm screws...it probably doesn't represent as big an issue as the 9x0 stand does in the event of an impact....as long as you carry a set of screw extractors and a battery drill. But it might be worthwhile mentioning it to the vertically challenged who habitually mount the bike by climbing on via the foot peg when on the sidestand. Do I remember reading a warning against this practice in the 990 owners manual....?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #4523
keener
Speed changes you.

I wounder if a slightly wider skid plate could protect the side stand from getting hit.

I agree that 1190 side stand is designed to break o$$.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #4524
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I wounder if a slightly wider skid plate could protect the side stand from getting hit.

I agree that 1190 side stand is designed to break o$$.

I thought its the central stand that brakes. Now it also seems the side stand brakes as well ?

I start to feel day by day that those guys just rushed too much to put the bike in production.

In the end it's all those (many) things that give a bad image to the bike.
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #4525
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I thought its the central stand that brakes. Now it also seems the side stand brakes as well ?

I start to feel day by day that those guys just rushed too much to put the bike in production.

In the end it's all those (many) things that give a bad image to the bike.
Has a stand actually broken off? No reports suggesting same. No point discussing something that has not happened yet. Pure conjecture!
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #4526
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper View Post
Has a stand actually broken off? No reports suggesting same. No point discussing something that has not happened yet. Pure conjecture!

Yeap, read 2-3 threads about a broken central stand :)
Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #4527
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Here you go with some links

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911775
http://www.ktmforum.eu/forum3/wbb/95...r-abgebrochen/

And here someone touches the ground with the stand while driving
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914734

I bet they spend many months designing it
Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #4528
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
The side stand issue may be pure conjecture, but it is based on a long history of problems with the 9x0's that have the sidestand mounted to the engine case in the same manner. There is enough leverage that many of them suffered broken engine cases as a result of an impact to the folded stand. The hope is that because the 1190 uses much smaller screws this will not happen, that the screws would snap instead, but many people would rather have seen the stand attached to the frame.

As far as a larger skid plate protecting it, I kinda doubt it, as it is an impact to the foot of the stand that would be the most likely culprit. It has been pointed out that a mounting plate that mounts to the frame may not work for the 11...I wonder if a frame-mounted bracket with a U-shaped receiver into which the aft end of the stand locates when folded might be an option. It would stop the stand from deflecting and the load applied to the case would be much less. Might be a little ugly when the bike is on the sidestand, but so is a puddle of oil under the motor...

I still expect that someone will come up with a relocating plate pretty soon. There are enough design geniuses out there and enough of a market, even if no sidestand ever breaks.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #4529
Alarm
Gnarly Adventurer

It seems that KTM found the idea of Ducati, putting the stand on the engine is a really smart idea, so they made it too.

How stupid is that, really. Put on a sensitive metal the stand that holds so many kg.

Sometimes i wonder what do they drink when they design things that are already set as standards for decades now on most of the bikes and work.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #4530
keener
Speed changes you.

even on 950 and 990 you should ride very aggressively in tough rocky trails to hit the side stand. I can see some scratches and dents on the arch of my 950's stand (no marks on the tail end of the stand). I have used a side stand relocator plate and I even broke that! Its a good upgrade if you want to ride among boulders.

From the frist look it seems KTM hasn't done anything about this by mounting the side-stand to the engine case again. On closer look I see the stand is held by much smaller bolts (M8). On my 950 I have beefy M10x30mm screws mounting the stand to the engine case:

950/990 ADV:
see Part #8:
HH COLLAR SCREW M10X30 WS=13
image source missioncycleangus.com

1190 ADV:
(image source ktmtwins.com)
See Part#19:
0025080166 HH COLLAR SCREW M8X16 TX40

So...given the light bracket holding the stand and the smaller screws ,It looks like KTM designed the 1190's side stand bracket (part#6030302600033S SIDE STAND BRACKET) to break off before the engine case breaks.

Given the pressure on the engineers to make the bike lighter, I am not surprised about their decision. Its not the end of the world. Many 9x0 owners rode their bikes for years and didn't even hit the stand once and don't even know what a relocator plate is..., never mind breaking the case. Go riding.