Originally Posted by slidewayes View Post
Heard that it only Dino's at 143hp
WHAT!!!!!! That's it I'm out
spencergt66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #542
Braindead
FMR

Oddometer: 76
I'm thinkin part of the weight gain (dry) is the crash bars and slipper clutch. Both are desirable aftermarket add ons that we pay extra for. So a weight comparison against a 2012 990R should be adjusted to include it equipped with the bars and clutch.

I'm just sayin

I may have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's

more is more
Braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #543
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
I think they should make a carb'ed, non-abs 990 that comes with a 2-into-1 Akra and other essential off-road stuff (better skid plate, battery, Rekluse clutch). It should have a kick-start option like the off-road bikes as well as larger tanks. Suede seat, too.
You've still got a black & white TV too I bet.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #544
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
1190 Road version

"Tubeless road tires on wire spoke wheels with airtight rim – 120/70-19 front; 170/60-17 rear"
Now that´s unusual tire sizes for ya. A 120/70-19 in front? It must be the first in production. A 170/60 rear? Looks like the owners will be hunting for tires because I dont know of any other bike that wears these sizes.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #545
Bikeaddict

... and I think that the 990 smt will cease to exist!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #546
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Why tubeless tires and wheels? Why are everybody so happy about them?
I don't see this as a benefit for those really offroad or adventure-minded.
I have repaired several tubes roadside, no problems. 1-2 hours max and you're ready to go again.
We have never succeeded (I remember at least 3 times) to reinflate 1200GS tubeless tyre with small electrical or hand pump. Never get tyre to seal. We had to trailer one 1200GS after hitting a rock and bending front rim.
Of course you can always use tubes also with tubeless tyres and rims, so no worries though.

Otherways I see 1190 Adventure as a great bike:
bigger fuel tank: 24 vs 20 liters
R model has 21/18 wheels, Adv 19/17 - many owners have spent $$$$ to get 19/17 wheelset for 9x0 Adv.
fully adjustable suspension like current model
suspension travel seems comparable to current model
similar empty weight (don't get confused dry vs empty)
you don't have to use 150hp if you don't like it - just don't turn your right wrist that much. Having more hp is always much better than having less hp than desired.
Shape of plastic is a personal preference, but I see this is a main concern here Anybody remember 9x0 windshield threads?
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #547
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
Of course you can always use tubes also with tubeless tyres and rims, so no worries though.

FYI it's not that easy with the tubeless rims used by KTM in this case. I have them on my Husaberg, they are stock spec on the FS570 and KTM 690 SMC. They are a joint development of KTM and Behr (Saxxess), and unlike other tubeless system they use a very tight fitting rubber band in the rim dish to seal the rim. Really nice and light but not without it's trade-offs.

If you wanted to use a tube you would have to move the sealing band aside to remove the tubeless valve stem and make room for the one from the tube. And this ain't gonna happen without destroying the rubber band.

The bands are available separately for around $45, and apparently as a part of a "repair kit" for $15 (both price for the 17" version). Not sure how involved it is but I would think that it's a heat shrink type of material, that's they only way I can see it fitting the tightly in the dish. So figure you need a heat gun or at least a small butane torch to go back to a proper tubeless tire after using a tube.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #548
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict View Post
"Tubeless road tires on wire spoke wheels with airtight rim – 120/70-19 front; 170/60-17 rear"
Now that´s unusual tire sizes for ya. A 120/70-19 in front? It must be the first in production. A 170/60 rear? Looks like the owners will be hunting for tires because I dont know of any other bike that wears these sizes.
plenty of street tires in that size
http://www.bikebandit.com/rear-170-6...209-4294966937
dirt tires? the 180-17" tkc will fit as it's undersized anyway
i'm guessing you'll get 750mi with 150hp slamming on it however.
scorpion trail is available 1 size off as is the conti trail.

there is a few street tire in the 120
http://www.bikebandit.com/front-120-...090-4294966520
dirt? gonna need to size down to a 110-19" tire

KTM did choose some odd sizes for this bike.
more than likely a mfg or 2 will follow with correct sizes.
they are serious about the regular version being a street oriented bike.
if you do dirt, you'd choose the R anyway
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 02:12 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #549
Bikeaddict

I am with you, dont care about the sizes. I think the bike's a killer! I'd love to test ride both. I am slightly biased looks-wise to the 1190 R. It looks more 'athletic' to my eyes ...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #550
990s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
First test?

Its from german magazine motorrad, and translated with bing(that is not perfect)
Orginal url with pictures : http://www.motorradonline.de/news/kt...eenduro/423736

+++ UPDATE +++ just before the Intermot released surprisingly KTM promises the real images of the 1190 adventure and the 1190 adventure R. KTM two powerful motorcycles for asphalt and terrain - weight and price will not increase. +++ Update end +++
Google display winter adventure monastery of Swiss Winterholidays, ski/snowboard freeride, heliski,...Davos/Klosters www.ramadventure.ch
ArcEurope discounts search for roadside assistance, travel services & get discounts! www.arceurope.com

Intermot ahead: the new KTM 1190 R.
Photo: KTM
Article as
Download PDF

New 2013: the standard version geared more for road use the KTM 1190 adventure.
KTM promises 150 HP for two models and a weight of 230 (adventure) and 235 kilograms, respectively.

The new adventure is no disguise rally motorcycle, but rather a sporting travel enduro.
(30.8.) Motorcycle reported world exclusive of the new travel enduro KTM 1190: KTM builds a new travel enduro. MOTORCYCLE was allowed to turn a first sample round on a previous serial copy and reported.
The day could not begin more beautiful. The Sun laughs, the streets wind got. A round of KTM developers proudly passes me the key of their latest creation: A preproduction of the brand new travel enduro 1190 adventure is available. Heart, want more what?

The engineers, describe what they have built into the machine full enthusiasm: four driving programs for the engine, electronically adjustable suspension, integral ABS, traction control, a height-adjustable seat and screen, an integrated baggage system... It is missing the future KTM tourers to nothing.
More about...
KTM Enduro Intermot news 2013
The adventure is powered by the extensively revised engine of Renner's RC8 R. New cylinder heads, Camshafts and intake ports to improve the drivability of the once quite raubauzigen engine. In contrast to the Adventure designed more for classic KTM customers R (see motorcycle 18/2012) the Adventure designed for the larger prospective carries a 19 inch wheel front. A two-part and adjustable height seat, as well as a large screen, which is also adjustable serve its travel capabilities. And the 24-gallon tank built-up on both versions is intended to ensure a large range.

The new seat is height-adjustable and the most comfortable furniture of the KTM-history.
During the upgrade you feel the adventure at home. The smaller wheels and the lower seat provide a sheltered driving and traffic light are feeling. Rank which is only about 230 kg filled light 1200 wonderful. And the position like me very much with my 173 cm. Calming, that the tank shape is also much greater space, can the seat edge to back enough place. Handlebar and armatures are well in hand, the Fußras-ten fit perfectly.

Great teachable moment: how the R version pushes the engine from the State like an ox. If it only runs from good 2000 RPM right around, it appears but when compared to the previous 990ern as transforms. Over the nervous throttle response, the annoying hook, much to strong performance at the closing of the gas. This v2 shines with the best manners. Gently, he goes to the gas, delivers his performance at part load without bucking at full throttle to go off like Schmidt's cat. The adventure has whopping 150 HP, two horses more than the previous record of the Ducati Multistrada 1200 speaking: does the KTM drive almost nothing to do with the Ducati engine. It runs smoother, punchier, above all in the middle. Sonorous bollert KTM from the thick exhaust silencer, beautiful and wertiger to be executed for the series.

The cables reveal: here the spring elements be adjusted electronically.
For the newly designed cockpit, all KTM riders will be grateful. Finally, the time of often failing digital cockpit is over. The analog displayed speed is visible at a glance, only the speed is somewhat timid documented. Left a second display of all information. The outside temperature to the spring and damper tuning the rider in various menu levels can can show everything. He should curb its Spieltrieb but as the drive itself. The KTM goes off so that you stand fast in the forest if you don't pay attention.

Menu in many levels: about buttons you can push through the information centre.
Finest electronics from Bosch and a LED daytime running lights provide the security. The integral ABS with a specially designed programmable off-road function convinced both on the road and on gravel roads. Never - would have to so the first impression after a brief test session gravel - such a machine one dera
+++ UPDATE +++ just before the Intermot released surprisingly KTM promises the real images of the 1190 adventure and the 1190 adventure R. KTM two powerful motorcycles for asphalt and terrain - weight and price will not increase. +++ Update end +++
Google display winter adventure monastery of Swiss Winterholidays, ski/snowboard freeride, heliski,...Davos/Klosters www.ramadventure.ch
ArcEurope discounts search for roadside assistance, travel services & get discounts! www.arceurope.com

Intermot ahead: the new KTM 1190 R.
Article as
Download PDF

New 2013: the standard version geared more for road use the KTM 1190 adventure.
KTM promises 150 HP for two models and a weight of 230 (adventure) and 235 kilograms, respectively.

The new adventure is no disguise rally motorcycle, but rather a sporting travel enduro.
(30.8.) Motorcycle reported world exclusive of the new travel enduro KTM 1190: KTM builds a new travel enduro. MOTORCYCLE was allowed to turn a first sample round on a previous serial copy and reported.
The day could not begin more beautiful. The Sun laughs, the streets wind got. A round of KTM developers proudly passes me the key of their latest creation: A preproduction of the brand new travel enduro 1190 adventure is available. Heart, want more what?

The engineers, describe what they have built into the machine full enthusiasm: four driving programs for the engine, electronically adjustable suspension, integral ABS, traction control, a height-adjustable seat and screen, an integrated baggage system... It is missing the future KTM tourers to nothing.
More about...
KTM Enduro Intermot news 2013
The adventure is powered by the extensively revised engine of Renner's RC8 R. New cylinder heads, Camshafts and intake ports to improve the drivability of the once quite raubauzigen engine. In contrast to the Adventure designed more for classic KTM customers R (see motorcycle 18/2012) the Adventure designed for the larger prospective carries a 19 inch wheel front. A two-part and adjustable height seat, as well as a large screen, which is also adjustable serve its travel capabilities. And the 24-gallon tank built-up on both versions is intended to ensure a large range.

The new seat is height-adjustable and the most comfortable furniture of the KTM-history.
During the upgrade you feel the adventure at home. The smaller wheels and the lower seat provide a sheltered driving and traffic light are feeling. Rank which is only about 230 kg filled light 1200 wonderful. And the position like me very much with my 173 cm. Calming, that the tank shape is also much greater space, can the seat edge to back enough place. Handlebar and armatures are well in hand, the Fußras-ten fit perfectly.

Great teachable moment: how the R version pushes the engine from the State like an ox. If it only runs from good 2000 RPM right around, it appears but when compared to the previous 990ern as transforms. Over the nervous throttle response, the annoying hook, much to strong performance at the closing of the gas. This v2 shines with the best manners. Gently, he goes to the gas, delivers his performance at part load without bucking at full throttle to go off like Schmidt's cat. The adventure has whopping 150 HP, two horses more than the previous record of the Ducati Multistrada 1200 speaking: does the KTM drive almost nothing to do with the Ducati engine. It runs smoother, punchier, above all in the middle. Sonorous bollert KTM from the thick exhaust silencer, beautiful and wertiger to be executed for the series.

The cables reveal: here the spring elements be adjusted electronically.
For the newly designed cockpit, all KTM riders will be grateful. Finally, the time of often failing digital cockpit is over. The analog displayed speed is visible at a glance, only the speed is somewhat timid documented. Left a second display of all information. The outside temperature to the spring and damper tuning the rider in various menu levels can can show everything. He should curb its Spieltrieb but as the drive itself. The KTM goes off so that you stand fast in the forest if you don't pay attention.

Menu in many levels: about buttons you can push through the information centre.
Finest electronics from Bosch and a LED daytime running lights provide the security. The integral ABS with a specially designed programmable off-road function convinced both on the road and on gravel roads. Never - would have to so the first impression after a brief test session gravel - such a machine one dera
990s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #551
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
I think they should make a carb'ed, non-abs 990 ... It should have a kick-start option like the off-road bikes as well as larger tanks. ...
I'm holding out for the acetylene lights, plunger suspension, and leather belt drive myself!
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #552
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I hope the gas tank on the 1190 is at least 6-7 gallons.
They should take a page out of the GS book and make the R the more offroad (Adventure) ready of the two with the larger tank, skid plate, etc.
It is good to see KTM continue to grow the brand and try to reach a larger group. More sales volume usually means more R&D and better product. Love my SE so really have nothing to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Youd kick start a 990 Vtwin. Good luck with that
+1.
Would love to see someone kicking over one of these with no comp release. Just stand on it and pray ala the old 4 stroke Can-Ams.
How about a leftside kick to make it really interesting. Dad's friend had one and told me if I could kick start it I could ride it. I was 8 and weighed a buck-O-nothing.

hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #553
jimmydeanh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
And the 24-gallon tank built-up on both versions is intended to ensure a large range
Holly shit...I can't wait to test ride it
Our Montana Adventure 2009

What I ride:
2010 KTM SM-T (AKA the Tard)
2011 KTM 350 SX-F (AKA KaTyM)
2006 Speed Triple (AKA the BAMF)
1981 Blonde (AKA Yummy)
jimmydeanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #554
sama3033
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
New Adventure

http://www.enduro360.com/2012/09/19/...pecifications/
sama3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #555
Motojon76
Dirty side down

Oddometer: 47
You saw the thread right under this one (at the time I posted), right?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784473